• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The EU failed Greece, not Britain.

I still need to see a reasonable argument about EU failing Britain that isn't EU inmigration, which we know is not true. Specially when for years UK had a special status inside the EU.

You wont get it. You'll just get the same debunked reasons reposted by the exact same posters over and over again. It's the 2015 General Election all over again.

YES! This is totally how economy works! Nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING!, will change! UK leaving the single market? Nothing! UK having to re-negotiate trade terms that will never be as favourable as they were within said single market? Nothing! UK losing its influence over its biggest trade partner? Nothing!

N
O
T
H
I
N
G

W
I
L
L

C
H
A
N
G
E

If we all close our eyes and keep saying it, it will be true right?

That's it look on the bright side. At least something funny happened.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or are just an ignorant asshole?

Steel

Banned
The EU failed Greece, not Britain.

I still need to see a reasonable argument about EU failing Britain that isn't EU inmigration, which we know is not true. Specially when for years UK had a special status inside the EU.

It's probably more accurate to say Greece failed themselves.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Why do people keep on acting liking everyone out side London/ Scotland voted leave.

Apologies, it's just easier to say rather than provide a whole list of places.
Of course, I could have just the 51%. That might be better actually.

Another interesting tidbit is that from now on any American business that wants to do business in the European Union will be opening their offshore offices in the Republic of Ireland rather than England.

The inherent value of doing business in the EU in an English speaking country is massive.

Yeah, as an American, I can't believe how many people I know from the UK who think we'll just continue business as usual with them (or even sillier, that our deals will be better for the UK).

Without any of the EU backing the UK, the UK will accept whatever deal we demand. You (as in, the UK) voted away your leverage, and if it ever comes down to a choice between the EU and UK, we're going with the EU every time.

suedester

Banned
Absolutely this is true. However, in my opinion:

Staying in EU - Guaranteed benefits of trade and common market, plus influence over Europe's direction.
Leaving EU - Guaranteed loss of EU benefits, possibility of other upsides on their own.

So it could work out fine and the UK could be ahead 20 years from now where they would have been in the EU. But you generally don't give up guaranteed benefits for the possibility of some other benefits, especially on the global nation-state scale where stability is paramount.

It depends what the possible other benefits are. The majority of the electorate took the opinion that taking back control of borders and laws from Brussels was worth the economic risk.

The UK has one of the largest economies in the world. Lots of countries will want to negotiate trade deals including the EU. The risk of course is that the terms won't be as good but hopefully the other deals we are now able to enter into will mitigate that to a certain extent.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What about the people who have been interviewed who don't regret it and have put forward arguments that don't involve immigration or migrants. Im watching BBC news right this very moment and they did a piece on county Durham where the people seemed to be level headed about their reasons for voting to leave.

Why do I not see stories like that posted here? Doesn't fit the narrative?

Yep. I think that is the case.

The minority of the UK that voted to stay in the EU clearly think that the brexit supporters are all racist morons and that narrative is being pushed hard by the media who keep showing footage of interviews with said racist morons and old ladies weeping because England will be great again because it's now back in charge of it's own ship free from the yoke of tyranny from the EU.

Some balanced reporting would be nice.

GHG

How did you post this comment? Would it be possible for you to also post links to the things you say that are being said in the media from Leave voters? Or is something preventing you from doing it?

Im watching it live via film on tv. If I could post the video then I would. Like I said, once it appears on the BBC site or elsewhere I will share it. If not, feel free to tune in yourself in the meantime. They are doing stories across various areas of the country.

Some areas are indeed "immigration, immigration, immigration" but not all of them like some people here would have you believe.

Unconfirmed Member
Cltcbw9WEAEI0rN.jpg:large

It just makes you despair

Im watching it live via film on tv. If I could post the video then I would. Like I said, once it appears on the BBC site or elsewhere I will share it. If not, feel free to tune in yourself in the meantime. They are doing stories across various areas of the country.

Some areas are indeed "immigration, immigration, immigration" but not all of them like some people here would have you believe.
#notallleavers huh

*Splinter

Good job UK. Don't let the media get you down and scare you about the future. You were one of the greatest nations in modern history before the EU and I have no doubt that you will be one after the EU.

I find Obama's comments about "putting the UK in the back of the queue" in regards to new trade deals absolutely shameful. The UK is our greatest ally and we should support them in their independence.
It's ok everyone, you can stop panicking, kamspy things it'll be fine. The experts were probably lying the evil bastards.

KonradLaw

People from Peshawar or Mogadiscio wouldn't want their city to become London or Manchester then why is the other way around not acceptable ?

Isn't it a bit too late for that though? In London ethnic brits already are minority. I don't think multiculturalism is universally good and I believe countries should have ability to stay homogenous if they want to, but for UK that ship has sailed a long time ago. At this point you can just slow the process, but UK being all white christian country is in the past and it won't come back.

Absolutely spot on. Hell there's a fair few of those types in this very thread.

This has been a long time coming, anyone who can deny the uprising is in complete and utter denial.

The issue is that this is the stupidest way to have an "uprising" against the government that's imaginable. Why not vote in European Parliament election? Why not vote for a party other than the conservatives if their issue is a capitalist elite who's never going to look out for your interests? Fuck, why not take to the streets in a movement that's against the government that's bleeding them if they truly believe that's the cause of their problems?

Instead they use xenophobia as a call to arms with the goal of giving even more power to an increasingly right wing government who now have even more reason to further enforce the austerity measures that have been hurting the lower classes so much.

It depends what the possible other benefits are. The majority of the electorate took the opinion that taking back control of borders and laws from Brussels was worth the economic risk.

The UK has one of the largest economies in the world. Lots of countries will want to negotiate trade deals including the EU. The risk of course is that the terms won't be as good but hopefully the other deals we are now able to enter into will mitigate that to a certain extent.

Perhaps that is true. However, borders will not be affected even 1% after this, and they don't realize it. If the UK wishes to create agreements with the EU, an open border for workers will be a mandatory part of the deal. Countries like Switzerland have even been forced to accept it as special partners (which UK will become). So it will not stop inter-EU migration at all. And the majority of immigration to the UK is from outside the EU, which the UK already had control over and isn't affected at all by this vote.

kamspy

Am I crazy or do some people think they just voted for the invention of a time machine?

I'm just trying to give people some optimism. It seems like the rest the world is basically telling them they are doomed. The president of the US insulted them deeply today. I was just reminding them that there is no reason they can't make it on their own. We should be supporting the UK's independence with open arms. We're a nation who prides ourselves on independence and we should support other nations with the same ambition in my opinion. A lot of other great nations in the EU are picking up the slack of poorly run countries. I think they should follow in the UK's footstep and abolish that dumpster fire of a union.

Sarek

That basically means the UK is seen as someone that you shouldn't be lending money to.

No it doesn't. That is just pure hyperbole. If the rating is dropped from triple A to eg. just AA the difference is definitely not between trustworthy, and "someone that you shouldn't be lending money to". The real difference would be a small raise in the interest rates.

Audioboxer

3% of net inmmigration.

3%.

Uncontrolled inmigration.

Bro, I only expect to see 1 Brown person every 50 on my daily travels or its uncontrolled. Uncontrolled I tell you.

Sigh...

On a serious note when henious crimes take place we largely need to look at how our police forces and Government handle them. How our intelligence is shared and how forces act on it. Not just blindly point the finger at every person that is somehow related to a criminal due to religion or skin colour.

I am an atheist and find religion incredibly backwards and some of the beliefs anti-progressive. However what people do in their private life and in a place of worship as long as not illegal or violence inciting is up to them. Freedom of religion is something we need to protect.

As is freedom of speech. But when you say hateful bigoted shit expect to be called out on it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The issue is that this is the stupidest way to have an "uprising" against the government that's imaginable. Why not vote in European Parliament election? Why not vote for a party other than the conservatives if their issue is a capitalist elite who's never going to look out for your interests? Fuck, why not take to the streets in a movement that's against the government that's bleeding them if they truly believe that's the cause of their problems?

Instead they arm themselves with xenophobia as a call to arms with the goal of giving even more power to an increasingly right wing government who now have even more reason to enforce the austerity measures that have been hurting the lower classes so much.

I'm reminded of that Stewart Lee bit about voting for UKIP as a protest vote;

"It's like shitting in your hotel bed as a protest against poor service, and then realising that you have to sleep in a shitted-up bed."

Crumpo

OK, I've switched from Glastonbury coverage to BBC news now. Much less fun to watch. Will report back if I see the interviews

Bold One

Yep. I think that is the case.

The minority of the UK that voted to stay in the EU clearly think that the brexit supporters are all racist morons and that narrative is being pushed hard by the media who keep showing footage of interviews with said racist morons and old ladies weeping because England will be great again because it's now back in charge of it's own ship free from the yoke of tyranny from the EU.

Some balanced reporting would be nice.

49% is not a minority

Farage said that if the Leave vote lost buy a narrow margin (like 52% to 48%) that he'd fight for a second referendum.

Is there any chance the Remain side can? Please? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

It just makes you despair

These people probably didn't realise how much the EU was investing in their region because Remain did a truly awful job of highlighting just how much the EU has helped and invested.

Just look at Cornwall. Do you think the average voter knew the EU was pumping money into their county for 15 years? Hell, I didn't know and I tried to be as informed as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom