• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Again, like shitting your bed to protest bad hotel service and then remembering you have to sleep in a shitted up bed.

Yep.

And this is why I think the remain campaign failed to connect with communities in the north east in particular. They needed to educate people... Or at least try to anyway. Labour in particular have failed in their majority areas.

PJV3

The only chance if a second referendum is just before leaving in 2 years as a final check, or shit really hitting the fan during negotiations.

Otherwise we get on with it and try to defuse the nationalism that can quickly get out of hand.

Lego Boss

Peterborough BBC coverage is shameful. More immigration nonsense (British bakery closes specifically because of a Polish deli).

I have read about the protest vote ("F Cameron", "stop ignoring us in favour of London") earlier and my boss voted in protest. However when I probed it actually was about immigration ("my kid is only one of six non-Polish in her class")

The only other leave voter I confronted (father-in-law) also eventually conceded immigration as the cause.

Say it all you want, that's what it's boiling down to, even if you didn't vote leave because of it.

That was sickening. Was there no competition before Polish delis opened?

I can't get my head around all of this. It's a massacre.

I think it would be real crazy if NI and Scotland split off from the UK and create a new Union with the Republic of Ireland.

That would be unexpected and crazy and totally not realistic probably.

Best

We're better off just conning them into a Norway style deal or just telling them to fuck off than a second referendum.

Joni

Ethiopia has a higher growth rate than all economies of the Euro-zone combined : Long live the EU...
It has a higher growth rate because it comes from deeper. If you are already quite high in GDP, you don't make huge jumps anymore. But let's take it at face value, doesn't that mean Great Britain would be better off it turned into Ethopia? You were saying it would be bad for it to turn into Somalia, but maybe it should turn into Ethopia, it has a tremendous growth rate. The British will be happy to live like that.

Crumpo

That was sickening. Was there no competition before Polish delis opened?

I can't get my head around all of this. It's a massacre.

The bakery was apparently open for 100yrs...the fucking customer demographics don't even overlap.

This shit is so surreal

Beefy

ClvzX9SXIAQMiKU.jpg

Audioboxer

Peterborough BBC coverage is shameful. More immigration nonsense (British bakery closes specifically because of a Polish deli).

I have read about the protest vote ("F Cameron", "stop ignoring us in favour of London") earlier and my boss voted in protest. However when I probed it actually was about immigration ("my kid is only one of six non-Polish in her class")

The only other leave voter I confronted (father-in-law) also eventually conceded immigration as the cause.

Say it all you want, that's what it's boiling down to, even if you didn't vote leave because of it.

Oh no Polish kids in a class?! Not like we can't allow kids to be kids and break down the barriers of race, gender, ethnicity and so forth at a young age for a prosperous loving, kind and caring future!

We must teach them British values and claim back our country.... Eject the Polish and let's teach our kids to fear anyone but the Englishman.

Joni

0% or so : it's not about the jump but the actual growth rate.
Yes. If you come from deeper you can achieve an higher growth rate. Europe is still way more prosperous than Ethopia. Get someone to explain you why it is better to live in the European Union than Ethopia despite that growth rate. But let's take it at face value, doesn't that mean Great Britain would be better off it turned into Ethopia? You were saying it would be bad for it to turn into Somalia, but maybe it should turn into Ethopia, it has a tremendous growth rate. The British will be happy to live like that.

Fritz

They were Colonies and how is that even related to the subject ?

So basically since Rome has fucked over the whole Europe centuries ago why not go and turn Italy upside down as a sign of retaliation ?

And why do French not go to Berlin and turn the city into a havoc in the memory of the numerous wars between France and Germany ?

Stop with that stupid argument about how they deserve now it because of the actions of an elistit minority more than a century ago : Most brits were farmers or minors at that time not some military strategists planning to take over Africa or Asia.

Love how you people are showing your true colors as soon as people and things don't go your way and it's not really pretty...

If there's one thing that Trump does right it's showing how the so-called modern, progressist,democrats people can turn into the most vile, hating,violent and intolerant people in the blink of an eye.

I believe the point was that it has nothing to do with the EU.

Joke post?

Yes it is. It's a large minority but it's a minority none the less.

In fact, that is a minority.

It's the very definition of a minority.

I think he knows that 49 is a smaller number than 51 you guys. I think his argument lays more in the notion of the implication made by the term "minority", and how it was used in the post he was responding to.

When the results are as close to 50/50 as they are, and <100% of your voter base shows up to vote, using the term "minority" might be technically correct, but might also be used in a slightly disingenuous manner.

Sianos

Yeah how dare they want England to remain England and not turn into Mogadiscio or Peshawar ?

I'd think something as frivolous as a name change for England could have been ironed out in negotiations, right? In fact, I'm pretty sure no one wanted to rename England in the first place.

Could you elaborate on this for me? I'm not quite sure I understand.

FStop7

Banned
Farage said that if the Leave vote lost buy a narrow margin (like 52% to 48%) that he'd fight for a second referendum.

Is there any chance the Remain side can? Please? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Imagine you are in a partnership with 27 other people. You are one of the most influential partners and contribute the third largest amount of money to the partnership. As a result you've received a lot of special considerations from the other partners as conditions of your membership. One day you march into a meeting of the partners and in a fit of anger you flip the double bird and shout "Fuck you all. You're dictators who are ruining my life. I quit!"

A day or two later you have regrets and ask to be allowed to return.

First of all: why would anyone even consider letting you back in? Second of all, even if they did let you back in, your influence and credibility among the other partners would be destroyed. They would never believe you, never trust you, never fully accept you. You'd be a shadow.

There are three ways the UK returns to the EU:

1. In the reconstruction phase after a catastrophe like a global financial collapse or a war in Europe. The surviving European nations come back together in order to rebuild, yet again. Third time's the charm, right?

2. After everyone in politics associated with the Brexit is dead of old age. Then credibility can be restored because those responsible are long gone.

3. In pieces. Scotland, then Northern Ireland, then perhaps Wales and England. Again, this will take many years.

Mael

Love how you people are showing your true colors as soon as people and things don't go your way and it's not really pretty...

If there's one thing that Trump does right it's showing how the so-called modern, progressist,democrats people can turn into the most vile, hating,violent and intolerant people in the blink of an eye.

That's the really strangest way of spelling Sanders I've seen so far.

Bold One

I think he knows that 49 is a smaller number than 51 you guys. I think his argument lays more in the notion of the implication made by the term "minority", and how it was used in the post he was responding to.

When the results are as close to 50/50 as they are, and <100% of your voter base shows up to vote, using the term "minority" might be technically correct, but might also be used in a slightly disingenuous manner.

don't bother, this is the same crowd that dismissed 'expert opinion' as left wing propaganda

geordiemp

Also, don't underestimate the capacity of the Englishman to give a big FUCK OFF to anyone that tries to scare or bully him into doing something. Yes, Osborne, Obama and Juncker, I'm looking at you.

That is really observant of you, you are very right. The only person who I thought was good on message was Merkel, who kindly asked nicely. She is a smart politician.

Obama surprised the hell out of me, totally wrong way to go about it.

Brusselcrats no surprises there.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
They feel things are at rock bottom for them and wanted a change or wanted to send a message to the government. Cameron in particular was called out, class divides were called out and the general London-centric stance of the government was called out.

Yes, they are misguided in their way of attempting to make a change (it's been discussed in this thread already) but this vote was the only way these people felt they were going to be heard. For individuals like that, its nothing to do with immigration or "they took our jobs".
And this, kids, is why we shouldn't have referendums in most 'civilized' societies.

WinterX

Banned
Nothing more stupid than your suggestion. In fact, much less so.
Well, tell that to leave voters because from now on they take all responsibility for the country. If Scotland goes out and Nothern Ireland joins Ireland then England is simply nothing and doesn't mean nothing.

Now even India can easily swallow the UK. Funny.

Mael

Imagine you are in a partnership with 27 other people. You are one of the founding partners and contribute the third largest amount of money to the partnership. One day you march into a meeting of the partners and in a fit of anger you flip the double bird and shout "Fuck you all. You're dictators who are ruining my life. I quit!"

Actually the UK was absolutely not one of the founding members.
The core of the EU worked without it, that's not going to change.

Lead

Banned

If you're trying to play that card at least play it right the vote is much closer to 52% to 48%. A gap of 3,78% is not a small thing on a referendum.

2San

Actually the UK was absolutely not one of the founding members.
The core of the EU worked without it, that's not going to change.
Still it's going to be a rough few months adjusting. UK was a major trading partner for us (the Netherlands).

kharma45

Well, tell that to leave voters because from now on they take all responsibility for the country. If Scotland goes out and Nothern Ireland joins Ireland then England is simply nothing and doesn't mean nothing.

Now even India can easily swallow the UK. Funny.

So you don't agree with democracy so let's go back to autocracy. Fuck me, listen to yourself.

Northern Ireland if it left would benefit the rest of the UK, it'd save 10bn a year.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

What a load of crap.

minority
m&#652;&#618;&#712;n&#594;r&#618;ti,m&#618;-/Submit
noun
the smaller number or part, especially a number or part representing less than half of the whole.
"only a minority of properties are rented"

The media has also been using that word all day. I guess they are also using it in a disingenuous manner.

BibiMaghoo

A couple of times the words 'clear mandate' have been used but I don't agree that is the case at all based on the numbers, and certainly not by region. Yes, Leave had a greater number of votes, but they were close enough to half a piece. I would think something of such importance should really require more leaning in one direction. I hope another is called after Scotland try and depart the UK. Wales will be destroyed without EU funding and students.

Geist-

The UK is like the Texas of the EU. Except Britain actually went through with it's threats to leave their Union. Let that sink in.

That's like losing a game, then protesting that the rules didn't work in your favor so you need a re-do with new rules. Sorry, just take the L ( Or W if you were a Brexiter ) and move on UK

Except losing a game usually won't ruin your job prospects and have far reaching effects on your children and grand children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom