• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Suzanne Evans' Facebook page, that someone just shared.

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

Worth checking what shares rose and fell. The FTSE 100 is mostly large multinationals that have a large amount of non-UK capital.

The banks and insurance companies fell badly, since Brexit fucks up financial services, (incidentally one of our biggest industries).
The worst falls are in construction. I mean, what will we do without Polish workmen to build them. But I'm sure Barratts and Berkley (both down a massive 20-25% in one day!) will soon be announcing wage increases for their good honest British builders that voted for this omnishambles.

And the biggest riser (Rangold, up 14%) is a gold-mining company. Operating mostly in Mali

Bonus points for taking last Friday as a benchmark instead of yesterday, which changes a 2-3% fall into a 2-3% rise.

In all honesty, it's not as bad as I feared. But forgive me for apologising to Leavers just because a punch in the stomach is better than the kick in the balls I was expecting.

One of my friends posted this on facebook:
13494989_10102572237893419_6281003401764807067_n.jpg
My response was the move description to Chatter "The user attacks using a sound wave based on words it has learned. It may also confuse the target.".

YES! This is totally how economy works! Nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING!, will change! UK leaving the single market? Nothing! UK having to re-negotiate trade terms that will never be as favourable as they were within said single market? Nothing! UK losing its influence over its biggest trade partner? Nothing!

N
O
T
H
I
N
G

W
I
L
L

C
H
A
N
G
E
You forgot by letting go of the steering wheel completely we've taken back control. TAKE BACK CONTROL.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
No it doesn't. That is just pure hyperbole. If the rating is dropped from triple to eg. just AA the difference is definitely not between trustworthy, and "someone that you shouldn't be lending money to". The real difference would be a small raise in the interest rates.

Basically:
If you get approached by an AAA debtor and the UK (who let's say is an AA) asks you for money, make sure to not give it to the UK.
So the UK is in fact that guy you should not be lending money to in this case.

deli2000

Once again. I'm not going to exactly bend over backwards to compliment people whose vote enabled people who don't like me because of the colour of my skin to gain more traction in UK politics, while achieving no net positive in the short term and a whole load of problems in the long term. If people are getting pissy about supposedly being called racist and xenophobic, I would suggest thinking about the people that will actually be hurt by the rhetoric of major leave supporters like UKIP. Who knows, maybe some people might self reflect and stop trying to act like political martyrs for voting in line with popular opinion.

The Cowboy

Can you explain the content of some of these even-minded and rational Leaver reasons you keep seeing on BBC news?
"The current leadership only cares about the south of England, they don't care about us - so we voted to leave to the EU for reasons" and "they are taking our jobs, so we need more control over our borders so we voted to leave",

That's pretty much exactly what all the leave people on the BBC said.

There's been a right wing backlash brewing since the financial crisis. It's not just in the UK, people across Europe are sceptical that the EU is working and resentful that their national identity is being eroded.

Whatever you might think about the result, something is fundamentally pissing a lot of people off and it's not going away unless Brussels changes its ways.

iceatcs

Heh, there is some discuss at my workplace Facebook group about the UK should restriction all the religions. Sighs.

I'm atheist but I'm not sure that will a good idea especially can't see it peacefully.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWOjb86-EM

Do any intelligent stay gaffers have any intelligent disputations for the points Boris makes in this March interview on the BBC? americans who even faintly buy the argument that Boris is the "uk Trump" should watch this and come to their own conclusion.

I believe his points about the advantages of Brexit are very clear, and they are only briefly about taking back border control authority.

I might be wrong but i think Britain had military presence in both of those places...and if not those exactly then generally in Middle East.
Ironic, isn't it?

They were Colonies and how is that even related to the subject ?

So basically since Rome has fucked over the whole Europe centuries ago why not go and turn Italy upside down as a sign of retaliation ?

And why do French not go to Berlin and turn the city into a havoc in the memory of the numerous wars between France and Germany ?

Stop with that stupid argument about how they deserve now it because of the actions of an elistit minority more than a century ago : Most brits were farmers or minors at that time not some military strategists planning to take over Africa or Asia.

Love how you people are showing your true colors as soon as people and things don't go your way and it's not really pretty...

If there's one thing that Trump does right it's showing how the so-called modern, progressist,democrats people can turn into the most vile, hating,violent and intolerant people in the blink of an eye.

GHG

Can you explain the content of some of these even-minded and rational Leaver reasons you keep seeing on BBC news?

They feel things are at rock bottom for them and wanted a change or wanted to send a message to the government. Cameron in particular was called out, class divides were called out and the general London-centric stance of the government was called out.

Yes, they are misguided in their way of attempting to make a change (it's been discussed in this thread already) but this vote was the only way these people felt they were going to be heard. For individuals like that, its nothing to do with immigration or "they took our jobs".

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They feel things are at rock bottom for them and wanted a change or wanted to send a message to the government. Cameron in particular was called out, class divides were called out and the general London-centric stance of the government was called out.

Yes, they are misguided (it's been discussed in this thread already) but this vote was the only way these people felt they were going to be heard. For individuals like that, its nothing to do with immigration or "they took our jobs".

Again, like shitting your bed to protest bad hotel service and then remembering you have to sleep in a shitted up bed.

Joni

Stop with that stupid argument about how they deserve now it because of the actions of an elistic minory more than a century ago : Most brits were farmer or minors at that time not some military strategists planning to take over Africa or Asia.
These places were still colonies after World War II. The United Kingdom ruled them, and was very willing to take them in.

What about the people who have been interviewed who don't regret it and have put forward arguments that don't involve immigration or migrants. Im watching BBC news right this very moment and they did a piece on county Durham where the people seemed to be level headed about their reasons for voting to leave.

Why do I not see stories like that posted here? Doesn't fit the narrative?

Honestly, out of all the people who have talked to me about voting out only two have put any real emphasis on immigration.
Most didn't really feel it was an very important issue but thought it was better that we have full control over the numbers than the current system. Some thought it would allow us to better target skilled workers.
Some were concerned that uncontrolled immigration has depressed wages in some sectors.

The issue is that this is the stupidest way to have an "uprising" against the government that's imaginable. Why not vote in European Parliament election?

Tried that, voted UKIP, EU parliament didn't get the joke :(

Why not vote for a party other than the conservatives if their issue is a capitalist elite who's never going to look out for your interests?

Trying tried that. Turns out the options are Tory (blue), Tory (blue+yellow), Tory (red).

Fuck, why not take to the streets in a movement that's against the government that's bleeding them if they truly believe that's the cause of their problems?

We're British! It's uncivilized. Besides a Policeman might tell us we're being naughty and make us cry :(

Instead they arm themselves with xenophobia as a call to arms with the goal of giving even more power to an increasingly right wing government who now have even more reason to further enforce the austerity measures that have been hurting the lower classes so much.

Sounds like a plan, we're do we sign up?

Crumpo

Peterborough BBC coverage is shameful. More immigration nonsense (British bakery closes specifically because of a Polish deli).

I have read about the protest vote ("F Cameron", "stop ignoring us in favour of London") earlier and my boss voted in protest. However when I probed it actually was about immigration ("my kid is only one of six non-Polish in her class")

The only other leave voter I confronted (father-in-law) also eventually conceded immigration as the cause.

Say it all you want, that's what it's boiling down to, even if you didn't vote leave because of it.

Yes, they are misguided (it's been discussed in this thread already) but this vote was the only way these people felt they were going to be heard. For individuals like that, its nothing to do with immigration or "they took our jobs".

2 main themes really - loss of national identity and sticking it to the man.

Also, don't underestimate the capacity of the Englishman to give a big FUCK OFF to anyone that tries to scare or bully him into doing something. Yes, Osborne, Obama and Juncker, I'm looking at you.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There's been a right wing backlash brewing since the financial crisis. It's not just in the UK, people across Europe are sceptical that the EU is working and resentful that their national identity is being eroded.

Whatever you might think about the result, something is fundamentally pissing a lot of people off and it's not going away unless Brussels changes its ways.

Absolutely. There needs to be some real soul searching now because politics has failed many people in this country and this was their opportunity to tell everyone involved to shove their system. It's a shame in many way that it always takes such a nasty turn into "bloody immigrants" territory because there's some real issues that need to be addressed and people aren't being listened to.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'd be all for it if Remain were a sure thing, but I almost think I'd rather not face the possibility of Leave winning a second time. That would honestly probably have a greater negative impact.

When someone first shared the petition to me I thought "Leave would almost definitely win again", but now seeing some of the responses and people realising what they've voted for, I'm tempted to think otherwise. It'd still be close, so in all it'd be pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom