• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peterborough BBC coverage is shameful. More immigration nonsense (British bakery closes specifically because of a Polish deli).

I have read about the protest vote ("F Cameron", "stop ignoring us in favour of London") earlier and my boss voted in protest. However when I probed it actually was about immigration ("my kid is only one of six non-Polish in her class")

The only other leave voter I confronted (father-in-law) also eventually conceded immigration as the cause.

Say it all you want, that's what it's boiling down to, even if you didn't vote leave because of it.

As a son of Polish immigranta that makes me sad.
We're good people :(

Binabik15

Ethopia has great growth. Really tremendous growth. The best growth. I tell them "I love your growths". I know people who are some of the best Ethopian growth people in the world. They will work for me to help us get some of that growth.

With that I turn my back on this clusterfuck and go to bed. Call me back for Merkel's crisis meeting on Monday.

Bobnob

This is what happens when you don't teach your own the skills they need to get on in life, keep hiring immigrants with so called "qualifications" . I can tell you now immigrants are rife in the care industry without the proper checks or fake qualifications(not all but a hell of a lot). Its cheaper for our gov this way and its mainly zero hour agency work. FUCK THE EU

Because being in total control of our own affairs and everything to do with our country is worth the initial economic hit of doing so in my opinion.

Quite frankly, in my opinion, the sky isn't falling and even if it does, in the long term it will be worth it.

When we joined the EU it was as a trade agreement between the countries. Not the United States of Europe which it has become, where dictation from unelected officials in Brussels is allowed.

As a side note, Britain was never 100% invested in the EU like the other members anyway.

Absolutely. There needs to be some real soul searching now because politics has failed many people in this country and this was their opportunity to tell everyone involved to shove their system.

Really? Not saying the UK is tucked up...but...

When given the opportunity to change the system in 2011 less than half the population could be bothered to crawl to the polling station and 2/3rds of those that did said the politics was working fine and we didn't need to change anything.

Crumpo

Based on that fact alone that isn't racism. Especially if those children come from homes with a very poor standard of written and spoken English.

If you want more I have plenty. Being the only leave voter I could find on my floor I spent hours talking it through with him.

"Dilution of British identity" was what it boiled down to.

In a strange twist of fate the school was under-subscribed, so none of that "breaking point" bollocks.

Mael

Still it's going to be a rough few months adjusting. UK was a major trading partner for us (the Netherlands).

Well yeah.
London is like the 2nd largest French city in the world, even if the UK goes out of the EU they're not going to throw these people back in France for obvious reason.
Still it's a great way for the EU to get a better deal with the UK than it got until now.
for France for example they can make a real advantageous deal if the UK want to avoid the issue with people crossing the channel being an issue that only bother the UK and France decide to wash its hands of it.

Was listening to radio earlier and they were asking Leave voters for their reactions, and all of them said it's great because "of all the immigrants" or "what have the EU ever done for us?". None of them could actually give a single valid reason as to why leaving was a good idea.

It's verging on the Monty Python-esque...

WinterX

Banned
So you don't agree with democracy so let's go back to autocracy. Fuck me, listen to yourself.

Northern Ireland if it left would benefit the rest of the UK, it'd save 10bn a year.

I'd like to remind you that mr. Juncker said some time ago that the European leaders shouldn't listen to their people and become "True Europeans" instead.

So this is democracy about? If we vote remain than "democracy is awesome", we vote leave "oh no you idiots, you fucked it up".

It's all bullshit to me. It shouldn't work that way. Anyone remembers referendum in France and Ireland? As far as I remember they voted twice for Lisabon Treaty. Let's just vote until we get proper answer.

Uzzy

I knew the Express was going to be bad, but I didn't expect this.

Clvil3aWMAEfM_K.jpg

Crumpo

Hey dude, I'm all for multiculturalism. My uni housemate has a great Polish fiancee; her mum came to the UK 10yrs ago with £200 and now she owns a house and her daughter is hot shit in financial services. And she is super-blunt. I like her :)

They feel things are at rock bottom for them and wanted a change or wanted to send a message to the government. Cameron in particular was called out, class divides were called out and the general London-centric stance of the government was called out.

Yes, they are misguided in their way of attempting to make a change (it's been discussed in this thread already) but this vote was the only way these people felt they were going to be heard. For individuals like that, its nothing to do with immigration or "they took our jobs".

Sorry, but how is supporting the right-wing of the conservatives, who are likely to push forward on austerity, abolish worker rights, privatization of healthcare, etc.. and thus enlarging the social gap, in leaving the EU is gonna help you with these problems?

I don't see it.

Because being in total control of our own affairs and everything to do with our country is worth the initial economic hit of doing so in my opinion.

Quite frankly, in my opinion, the sky isn't falling and even if it does, in the long term it will be worth it.

When we joined the EU it was as a trade agreement between the countries. Not the United States of Europe which it has become, where dictation from unelected officials in Brussels is allowed.

As a side note, Britain was never 100% invested in the EU like the other members anyway.

Do you understand that the UK will more than likely be subjugated to similar rules than the ones you were already beholden to? Meaning, contributions and open borders? If you want an example, go look at Norway.

Mael

Why the fuck do you think it morphed into the state it is from the trade agreement?
What directive did the EU impose on its member states that the member states elected officials didn't agree on?
I want a list.

Lego Boss

No you're not. You didn't fight alongside our airmen in the Battle of Britain.

You didn't battle communism in the 1970s and 1980s and eventually defeat them through Solidarnosc.

Your Pope didn't bring together young people from around the world.

My wife is Polish and she is in shock. I've never seen her so sad.

It's disgusting, disgraceful and l am ashamed to be British.

Proud to be European.

*Splinter

This is what happens when you don't teach your own the skills they need to get on in life, keep hiring immigrants with so called "qualifications" . I can tell you now immigrants are rife in the care industry without the proper checks or fake qualifications(not all but a hell of a lot). Its cheaper for our gov this way and its mainly zero hour agency work. FUCK THE EU
so called "qualifications"
fake qualifications

What an absolutely disgusting opinion :(

Yep.

And this is why I think the remain campaign failed to connect with communities in the north east in particular. They needed to educate people... Or at least try to anyway. Labour in particular have failed in their majority areas.

Some of the views of the people of Hartlepool shown on the news were fairly xenophobic sounding.
It's a very poor, deprived area of the North East. The neglect shown to the area is decades in the making. Finding some proponents of Xenophobia probably wouldn't be difficult. Finding people who want to say 'fuck you', to the rich southern elite would be even easier.

I'm also sure they make better soundbites for TV than people with more balanced and less potentially inflammatory views.

oti

Banned
Es ist was es ist. It is what it is.

Asking for a second vote makes no sense and just wastes time. A decision has been made. This could be seen as an opportunity for the EU to get rid of some of its bureaucracy and to actually show the people why they need them. It should also be a signal for all nations that direct democracy is a very dangerous tool and that politicians shouldn't gamble with their nation's future just to get some votes. Look at the mistakes you made and try to prevent them from happening again.

When it comes to the UK: Good luck. There really isn't much else to say here.

kharma45

I'd like to remind you that mr. Juncker said some time ago that the European leaders shouldn't listen to their people and become "True Europeans" instead.

So this is democracy about? If we vote remain than "democracy is awesome", we vote leave "oh no you idiots, you fucked it up".

It's all bullshit to me. It shouldn't work that way. Anyone remembers referendum in France and Ireland? As far as I remember they voted twice for Lisabon Treaty. Let's just vote until we get proper answer.

You mean vote until you get the result you want. Grow up.

Blader

Yep.

And this is why I think the remain campaign failed to connect with communities in the north east in particular. They needed to educate people... Or at least try to anyway. Labour in particular have failed in their majority areas.

Do the voters themselves not have any responsibility in knowing just what the hell they're voting for?

I have no sympathy for the Leave voters who are now regretting their decision or who cast a protest vote without any thought of how the repercussions will (negatively) affect them. Voting is your most powerful tool in a democratic society, especially in a referendum like this. Misusing it because they don't know what the hell they're doing is no one's fault but the voter.

Baskcm

Some of the views of the people of Hartlepool shown on the news were fairly xenophobic sounding.
It's a very poor, deprived area of the North East. The neglect shown to the area is decades in the making. Finding some proponents of Xenophobia probably wouldn't be difficult. Finding people who want to say 'fuck you', to the rich southern elite would be even easier.

I'm also sure they make better soundbites for TV than people with more balanced and less potentially inflammatory views.

as someone who lives in the town resentment for the south is pretty high with more and more cuts here. Losing the hosipital, police cuts i knew straight away the town would vote for leave

Mael

not-this-shit-again_fb_1224286.jpg

The French had a referendum in 2004 for the constitution,
they voted against.
in 2007, presidential election and they voted in favor of a guy who was very clear in passing Lisbon treaty if elected.
French people still voted for him so clearly they didn't want the constitution but wanted the treaty.
take the L and move on Melenchon.

WinterX

Banned
You mean vote until you get the result you want. Grow up.
Let people get what they want. Even if that means total chaos. It's their choice after all. That's democracy. Eurocrats think they can do what they want without asking anyone. Here's the result.

P.S: Turkey will get into no-visa zone next month???

This I dont get, In the end, Uk taxes are paying this funding in wales, not the EU.

EU does not pay for anything in UK that is not funded by the UK in the first place, never has, never will do.

You're assuming future uk governments will choose to disperse the money in the exact same areas/quantities. I trust Westminster less than I trust Brussels in this instance...

Or, they just have internet access that allows them to conveniently read and cite the analyses of real economists.

There are plenty of economists who aren't preaching doom. People need to wait and see. This "we're all fucked" sentiment is ridiculous at this stage. Short term volatility in the markets is a given but declaring doom is a bit much.

You're assuming future uk governments will choose to disperse the money in the exact same areas/quantities. I trust Westminster less than I trust Brussels in this instance...

What are you on about? Boris Johnson and Michael Gove are two honest people, who have the best interest of every man, woman and child of the UK at heart.

Oh and the fact the the likes of Obama and Merkel and all of the Celebrities etc have the audacity to tell everyone what to do?

That Obama comes over here and threatens us, that the EU threatened us if we left etc,

Yeah...no... Fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom