• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

The Brexit further exposes a conundrum for advocates of diversity and multi-culturalism. The more diverse a nation becomes, the "sicker" it becomes. Contagion sets in against immigrants and the country begins voting for more far-right groups and more isolationist policies. Liberal governments end up enacting policies that turn large portions of the population against them.

Just woke up and I feel sick, I can't believe this has happened...

As an EU national working in London, I guess my future here has just disppeared. I know I won't be kicked out or anything like that,but I don't think I can keep living im a country wherea majority of people hate me just because I was born in Spain, even if I work in tech as a programmer and I was the best of my class I'm just a filthy immigrant, an "other" that totally robbed a Brit from a potential job and that leeches the system, even though I've never applied for benefits and I pay my taxes here.

Should move my savings from GBP to Euro while I can ASAP, or should I wait until it recovers in a couple of years? Fuck :(

Twentieth

GxpJrco.png

Does anyone have the source he's using?

:( I hope Australia, NZ, U.K and Canada can make some sort of union even if it's just free movement agreement out of this or something, maybe that can help offset the damage and would be the only upside of this.

Poor Scotland, should have voted to leave when you guys had the chance.

How closely-tied are Australia's, Canada's, NZ's, etc. economies with the UK? This is something I never thought of.

Note this morning’s warning from Sinn Fein that the British government has “forfeited any mandate to represent the economic and political interests of people in Northern Ireland.”
From the guardian.
Well done UK. Well done. /s

Kierian

Neo Member
As a UK resident in his early 20, about to go to university, how screwed am I?

I don't understand how this happened.

Isn't weak pounds good for exporting companies though? Just being curious.
(Strong Yen sure isn't doing a favor for Japanese exporting companies and that's why stock market is crashing over here).

Yes the UK's HUGE manufacturing sector will definitely profit from selling more goods abroad.
As they say: 'Selling two Jaguars is better than selling one Jaguar".

Coxy100

Banned
As a remainer - truly sad and gutted. However it's happened so time to move on sadly - just hope we're not fucked now.

Wonder what this means for the rest of the EU - will it recover from this or will other countries have referendums soon e.g. Netherlands.

DJKhaled

Maybe young people should, like, vote instead of whining on the internet and calling for people to be stripped of their democratic rights.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout15.htm

I get that, but as undemocratic as it may seem people over the age of 70 (younger if it was up to me) shouldn't even get a vote, this type of stuff affects them for another 10 MAYBE 20 years, it affects the young people for decades longer and old people always vote in the most selfish way possible.

cdyhybrid

I suddenly feel like Trump might actually have a chance now...

Trump has been going downhill for months.

If Americans do their duty he will have no chance. And the the UK choosing to stay home and getting stuck with this clusterfuck should only motivate people to do their fucking civic duty in November.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How closely-tied are Australia's, Canada's, NZ's, etc. economies with the UK? This is something I never thought of.

Not very. Canada more than the other two, but the UK is much more closely tied to European economies.

Or was, anyway.

Foffy

Banned
Can someone educate me on this?

Is this good, or bad? I have the impression this is just isolationism gone amuck, but I may be wrong.

SMG

David Cameron is the worst prime minister in the UK's deplorable history.

I'm ashamed to live in this country and I'm ashamed my hometown is full of a bunch of racist xenophobes that lack the necessary brain cells to make an informed decision. The political right has regressed the UK; the political right will continue to dominate UK politics. What a lamentable time to be living in; I'm well and truly despondent and I have not slept at all.

"This coalition isn't working."
"Surly the answer to to vote the Toris in with no need to compromise."

This last five years has really soured my view on England.

GHG

Gold Member
The markets collapsed because they rose a lot in the last week off the back of an incorrect assumption.

Don't read too much into short term volatility that's what markets do. It's whether they stick around for weeks or months and what interest rates do that will matter.

Came to say this.

So much fear mongering going on its sad to see.

DJKhaled

I'm actually not sure in terms of economics, just all of them being former british colonies with very close cultures I would assume the anti-immigration crowd wouldn't have such a big problem with it.

mid83

A few questions from an American who isn't all that tied into UK politics.

1.) I read this is a non binding referendum. Does that mean they don't technically have to leave?

2.) Why did Cameron open up this vote when it seems like the establishment was all for remain? Seems like a big risk.

3.) I understand the currency and stock market changes short term as any sort of instability tends to scare the market in the short term. With that said, I've seen people say here that thousands of jobs are instantly gone (one person said somebody they know already lost their job today). Is this true or just hyperbole? Why are jobs being lost so quickly?

Ashes

Banned
I know every objective measure points in that direction, but why are people expecting that?

Uncertainty. We just told the biggest trading bloc in the world to fuck off. On the hope they remain friends on our terms.

And we were not even getting screwed over by them. In fact thier working immigrants were replacing our old retirees. In fact maybe you can see how we were actually screwing them over.

Farage just dropping bomb after bomb after bomb basically admitting they didn't know what they were going to do if they pulled it off.

I really don't know what you do and I ashamed of this result.

Juicy Bob

My long-term partner's mum is a middle-class, lifelong Tory voter and avid Daily Mail reader.

She sent me a text this morning telling me that even though she disagrees with a huge amount that the EU has done, she voted Remain because she felt it was the right thing to do for her daughter and I, for her son and for her grandchild.

Totally floored me as she was one of the safest Leave voters I knew. Very grateful to her.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The chairlady was starting to announce the various counts of ballots that were rejected. 9,000 people voted for in and out.

I get that, but as undemocratic as it may seem people over the age of 70 (younger if it was up to me) shouldn't even get a vote, this type of stuff affects them for another 10 MAYBE 20 years, it affects the young people for decades longer and old people always vote in the most selfish way possible.

Unpopular opinion but I fully agree with it. I do feel anyone past 65 should have a form of representation of course, but they have honestly proven themselves time and time again to be dangerous behind a ballet.

norinrad

And I hope the rest of parliament will deny him one. Even if you are anti-EU, surely you can see sense in waiting a while to see how things go with the UK.

Agreed, but the whole issue with Ukraine has given certain people in our country more ammunition to disrupt things. Another partition and we are screwed.

JDB

Banned
And I hope the rest of parliament will deny him one. Even if you are anti-EU, surely you can see sense in waiting a while to see how things go with the UK.
I'm sure we'll get one and we'll be dumb enough to vote Leave as well.
GeenPeil must be very excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom