• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Norway fare without the EU?

Well its in an agreement with the EU. It still has free trade and open borders, and has to follow eu laws, minus a few exceptions. It doesnt pay membership fee but it cant vote on the laws proposed in the EU.

gbp to usd is approaching 1.37 back up from 1.32, still got a ladder to climb but it is improving. I think this was more of a panic drop.

RedShift

Just like after the GE, I really feel like I don't belong in this country. Never been more embarrassed to be English

Hope Scotland goes independent soon. They don't deserve this shit.

What does this actually mean? Someone explain it to me like I'm a dumbass, because I am.
Here you go:
I will try, but do remember that this is very early in the process and the full implications have not yet sunk in. there will be a lot of things going on over the coming days, week and months.

What happened

The UK, by a straight majority of the popular vote, decided to leave the EU. This vote is not binding on the government but is very strongly persuasive. It does not mean that the UK is immediately outside the EU as exit will take somewhere between 2 (hah!) and seven years to negotiate.

This result, largely unexpected, has sent everything into a bit of a frenzy as nobody knows what happens next.

Why did it happen

Stepping back a bit, a very large portion of the UK electorate - mostly but not solely those older, poorer, less educated and outside the main cities - feeling excluded from the political process and stomped on by the government and, through continual news coverage and individual experience blaming this on the EU and in particular on immigration consequent on the enlargement of the EU over the last 10 years or so.

Leave voters span all political parties, so it isn't just a political thing.

At the same time, there was a political drive towards separation from the EU from the separatist UKIP party and the right-wing of the Conservative party.

The campaign to leave the EU was an aggressive one, and strongly focused on immigration, the fear of further EU consolidation and expansion, the immediate claimed economic benefits of leaving the EU, and EU over-regulation.

At the same time, there was a serious and festering ideological split within the ruling Conservative Party between the more moderate and the more extreme right wing. the Prime Minister called the referendum largely to heal/deal with this split.

Leave won.

What it means

Nobody knows. There is as yet no plan.

Politically, both mainstream UK parties are split and we are politically vulnerable. There may or may not be an early general election, we don't even know today whether anybody can command a Commons majority.

Economically, everything is tanking right now. We don't know if this is a blip a recession or something worse.

Geopolitically, there are knock effects nearly everywhere.

It seems likely that will be moves for Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland to secede from the UK.

Socially, everybody blaming everybody else.

Businesswise, probably a bunch of companies will leave the UK.

Plus, it is raining.

What happens next

Everybody needs to take a big deep breath and think hard. Kneejerk reactions are not going to help any.

Donald Trump has a press conference at 10am!
The funny thing is Trump is opening a Scottish Golf course so praising leave won't be a great idea.

After a century. And this time it's self inflicted.
So was the Opium wars. The Chinese should have not tried to seize and destroy the opium that the British has flooded the makret with to try and get back the gold they were losing from buying Tea (they tried to give China inventions but the emperor didn't want or need them). edit: shoot I didn't finish. I hope nobody thinks I believe Britain were the good guys in the Opium War.

Birmingham was the big shock

and if you remove Scotland the map is all leave spotted with yellow, I dont think there can be any debate about the win
Yes there can because unlike general elections this is 1 vote=1 vote and it is 4% majority on a 72% turnout.

Such a big decision should have had at a least 75% turnout and something like 66% to claim but why would someone like Cameron want to plan something like that?

Cornwall who get huge EU funds

Voted to leave
So did most of Wales.

tEKyuU8.jpg
So much for being able to take out loans (which are some of the cheapest ever) to sort out this mess.

Don't worry, you'll be able to buy UK products much cheaper soon.

Oh wait, we don't make anything any more.
Scottish Whiskey...we're doomed once Scotland is gone :(

£ to be worth less than the Euro by end of year apparently. https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/746223074983313408
For all the complain I've done to Nintendo of Europe about how they consider €1=£0.90 I'm now going to be hoping the UK remains a small enough market for them to leave that alone :(

I don't understand why people think the NHS is suddenly going to crumble?
It is already in the process of making well over 20 billion of spending cuts so even if the real EU spend was all spent on the NHS it is still 10 billion worse off but it is likely all public services are going face a squeeze owing to a shrinking economy and the lower tax revenue.

I can't see why Scotland would want to leave the UK in order to join the EU when doing so would mean leaving a FTA with its largest trade partner (by some way) and joining a bloc which it's main trading partner just left.
The EU is not all about trade. Plus, most Westminster governments have treated us with contempt time and time again.
Seriously?! lmfao

Unbelievable. Cunt was part of the vow, and now potentially this. How many times will Britain get lied to?
Not that I want to defend Farage in the slightest, but he wasn't really part of The Vow.

Extremely infuriating that in his little victory speech he mentions winning out against lies and then less than and hour later he has essentially fessed up to one of Leave's lies.
Stay safe big city UK GAF, I can see there being riots over this.
Nah unlikely. The potential bad losers actually won.

Mrbob

So if I'm reading this right the leave campaign admitted nearly an hour after they won that their two biggest talking points were a lie? Wow.

Izuna

Banned
I experienced VR for the first time yesterday, and got offered that job I wanted in full... and now I'm a different kind of depressed than ever before. It's so surreal. How could people vote for this?

How does Norway fare without the EU?

From what I read they get access to the Free Trade Zone because they adopted a majority of the economic rules, and apparently have a decent variety of high demand exports. I don't know that the UK has those, or are willing to adopt all the rules they just voted to get out of.

My long-term partner's mum is a middle-class, lifelong Tory voter and avid Daily Mail reader.

She sent me a text this morning telling me that even though she disagrees with a huge amount that the EU has done, she voted Remain because she felt it was the right thing to do for her daughter and I, for her son and for her grandchild.

Totally floored me as she was one of the safest Leave voters I knew. Very grateful to her.

As the full impact hits, I expect a lot more people to start saying "I voted remain, don't blame me"...

The absolute best we could hope for would be to negotiate access to the common market. But then we'd have no voting power to influence any decisions made.

As someone that appreciates things being logical, this goes against everything I know and understand and I can't really properly process it.

You would also have to accept free woker movent and you'd have to pay into the budget, both of which defeat Brexit's main arguments.
The EU will not give you any concessions because Norway and Switzerland would want them too.

From what I read they get access to the Free Trade Zone because they adopted a majority of the economic rules, and apparently have a decent variety of high demand exports. I don't know that the UK has those, or are willing to adopt all the rules they just voted to get out of.

Well now that they voted to Leave, maybe the next step is to vote on the details? With the EU do they want to be friends with benefits or a full divorce with restraining order....

This thread has devolved into panicked quotings of randoms on Twitter.

Breathe.

Try to stay calm.

And wait for more to play out.

I agree it's crazy what happened to evidence based discourse "I am terrified" "I am sick" (but I don't actually know why).

I am old enough to remember the process of joining the EU perhaps because of that a lot of older people are not so afraid of being a country. (Hint: like most in the world) instead of being a component of the EU. Even if I don't necessarily agree it was yet the right move, I don't think it is terrifying I like to have a reason and I just don't see any obvious reason. If you want to be terrified on someone else's behalf that seems kind, but rather an overreaction. Perhaps is it not best to see how it will go. At the moment the people hurting the most are London based hedge fund managers bankers and so on, I have no particular sympathy for them.

I don't think anyone who voted leave has answered this yet:

How exactly is leaving the EU helping with the immigraton of non-EU citizens when the UK wasn't a Schengen country to begin with?
I mean judging by the imagery used(burkas and what not) there doesn't seem to be a strong resentment against Italians or Austrians coming to the UK?

Slaythe

Scotland, North Ireland, and London right now:

5gJI0Be.gif

This.

People are not happy and they wanted "change", and they took any change that came first without even looking into it.

I can absolutely say this was probably one of the most moronic move ever pulled off.

Going to be comical how awful the situation is about to become, and to see them realize in horror what they have done.

KNT-Zero

Come to NZ, it's like Australia but better :) I emigrated there from France with my family when I was 15 and it's probably the best thing my parents have ever done for me.

Emigrating to either country isn't easy though unless you have a desirable job

Hmmm, I would have to note that down.

FZZ

Banned
How this gonna affect the economy on the European scale and then the global scale?

Will this do anything to the NIRP put in place by other EU countries?

Syder

Things are going to be mental for a while but 'survival of the fittest' and all that, we have to adapt now. David Cameron has to go. We've got 2 years to put sufficient plans in place. We can make Brexit a success story long term.

Stay strong, BritGAF.

This thread has devolved into panicked quotings of randoms on Twitter.

Breathe.

Try to stay calm.

And wait for more to play out.

Tell that to millions of people's portfolios in every country on Earth. Actually don't, because they won't give a fuck.

I expect the aggregate value of mine to decrease anywhere from 5-10% in a single day and that might just be the beginning. I mean I'm not planning to retire anytime soon but really we could have avoided all this if the people of the fucking United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't do the equivalent of California leaving the United States.

The pound tanked so bad, the dollar is nearly as strong as the pound, British people are blind. They want to save money so they Brexit but the financial and economic implications from the start till God knows when is very negative.

Nah they don't care about the money, they care about the Polish immigrants steelin dur jerbs and those people who sit on a carpet a couple of times a day.

deefol

Well now that they voted to Leave, maybe the next step is to vote on the details? With the EU do they want to be friends with benefits or a full divorce with restraining order....

I think the friends with benefits approach would be the best way but what leverage does the UK have.

All the biggest businesses have already planned to move if the Brexit ever happened.

Lagamorph

Corbyn is calling for Article 50 to be invoked immediately.

This is what he really wanted. He only supported remain because he was forced but it's a pretty safe bet that he cast his personal vote for Leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom