• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico_D

Greetings from Finland.

Thanks Britain. Now we are more likely to get into NATO which will anger Russia which will godonlyknows.

Democrazy. Today it has shown it is even more about me, me, me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fucking hell. I feel sick and actually a bit ashamed to be British right now.

- this referendum should never have happened in the first place. Cameron offered it as a sticking plaster to try and appeal to voters at the general election. It's too important a decision to be handed out like candy

- people are too stupid to make an informed decision. Generally, both sides. The implications for remain or leave are massively complex and there was no way they could have been clearly explained or understood by many people

- so most people will vote by instinct, gut reaction, or fear/scaremongering. And that often means you get a more right leaning result

- people have literally been voting to leave based on not wanting so much beauracracy from Europe. Well now you'll just get it from Westminster instead. And lots more of it.

- sounds like almost all areas outside of London and Scotland voted to leave. That is scary as hell. And I don't care if I'm being judgemental but I'd put money on lots of he leave votes being based on heresay and scare tactics from cunts like farage and boris Johnson. I saw almost no reasoned arguments from the lead campaign - only grunting rebuttals of information from the remain side with no evidence to back it up, and a constant emphasis on immigration (which won't change) and sovereignty (which wasn't really given up to Brussels in the first place)

Fuckety fuck.

Ark

People in this thread should stop acting like Farage has the authority to make or rescind promises.

The biggest issue of this result is that Farage is still relevant.

Regardless of what happens now; we have to work together and not cause the already existing chasm to widen further.

Maledict

ScotGaf here.

This I don't blame on EngGaf ... EnGaf? Whatever.

This is on London.

You do not spend generations being the face of milk snatching, DWP, and TV AM and then turn around and ask the people you have been victimising for years on end for a solid.

That gets you this.

This post makes absolutely no sense - on any level. Literally none.

London votd to stay - England voted to leave. London has more in common with Scotland than any area of England in terms of beliefs and morals. London is a labour stronghold. Thatcher won election on the backs of the white working class.

Literally, nothing you say here makes any sense at all.

so if Gaf's opinion really that 17 million people are racist for voting leave? I dont believe that for a second

If 17 million people can be motivated and moved by racist rhetoric, How is that any different then being actively racist?

Honest question.

Even if the us market tanks a little it will rebound hard within a week. All the money pouring out of UK and EU will have to go somewhere, and the US is the default safe haven of choice for all money managers, hedge funds, citizens, countries, etc. If you see any dips in the US stock market, it would be a great time to buy in.

Overall it really won't have any impact on the US, The UK -> US trade market is around $5.5b USD annually (US -> UK is around $4b); the US does more than that in a single DAY of trading with China.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the market needs fuel to sell-off for extended periods of time and without any shoes to drop in the next week and further there's not much to fuel the drops. It's not like debt contagions and China fears that kind of fed the fire for weeks/months. This is a one-off event.

Tak3n

Banned
I was jumped in the last thread for daring to suggest these old cunts not be allowed to vote. I was given ridiculous anecdotal evidence to suggest they trend towards remain.

Pfft.

I'm not going to say I told you so though, I need to start figuring out my move to Frankfurt... not sure what my girlfriend is going to do as her job is here...

Guess I'll put my house up for rent when I leave...

Sigh. A bunch of old, racist bigoted fucking cunts just decided my foreseeable future for me. Cunts who won't feel the consequences of their actions... absolute fucking disgrace.

These voters are the ones who also keep the Tories in power, look, no one stops young people from voting

NeOak

GxpJrco.png

83arOA7.png

mc74qF6.png

I was jumped in the last thread for daring to suggest these old cunts not be allowed to vote. I was given ridiculous anecdotal evidence to suggest they trend towards remain.

Pfft.

I'm not going to say I told you so though, I need to start figuring out my move to Frankfurt... not sure what my girlfriend is going to do as her job is here...

Guess I'll put my house up for rent when I leave...

Sigh. A bunch of old, racist bigoted fucking cunts just decided my foreseeable future for me. Cunts who won't feel the consequences of their actions... absolute fucking disgrace.

Maybe young people should, like, vote instead of whining on the internet and calling for people to be stripped of their democratic rights.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout15.htm

jm89

The ball is on your court Leave, please show us your genius well thought out plans to make the UK great again.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What if Cameron just ignores the referendum? I mean, he doesnt want to be re-elected anyway and when this economical downfall continues, I think people wouldnt be that much against it...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

What is your point here? Most of the world's assets are denominated in dollars; the US is in a unique position where interest rates on the dollar are almost unaffected by US govt actions. Even then, they suffered during the default brinkmanship. The UK is not the US; the pound is not the dollar.

Baleoce

Reposting from last thread since thread was closed.

nAk3fya.jpg

It was bound to happen tbh after the insane Paris attacks. People are scared and fear wins.

The funny thing is that the British have had south asian (or Pakistani) imimigrants for decades now. Three generations born and raised in the U.K so they should be used to them. They should know not all muslims are evil. But nope, they let ISIS win.

You guys can come to the U.S. Queen Hillary's got your back.

This picture just makes me feel ashamed.

Having not really kept up with this. I honestly thought this wouldn't pass, but huh...

So what's the good and bads to this?

The bad: Every world economy and stock market is currently nosediving in response to this and won't stop for some time, thousands of jobs are definitely gone at least, and the United Kingdom will never be the same again (at the very least attempts at leaving will be made by Scotland and others)

The good: We all die in the end

DJKhaled

:( I hope Australia, NZ, U.K and Canada can make some sort of union even if it's just free movement agreement out of this or something, maybe that can help offset the damage and would be the only upside of this.

Poor Scotland, should have voted to leave when you guys had the chance.

The markets collapsed because they rose a lot in the last week off the back of an incorrect assumption.

Don't read too much into short term volatility that's what markets do. It's whether they stick around for weeks or months and what interest rates do that will matter.

Lime

Like I said in the other thread, I am deeply saddened by this. Unlike many these days, I am a strong supporter of the European project and its original purpose. I want a united, peaceful and prosperous Europe. The EU right now is far from perfect, but its mere existence is such an important achievement that we should not leave when it gets hard, we should work hard to reform and improve it. We should cherish the fact that Europe after the bloodiest war in human history finally chose cooperation with each other over being adversaries, completely breaking with the historical trend. I really hope the rest of Europe doesn't decide to throw it away as well. I seek no return to (ethno-)nationalism. I hope everyone comes around to believing that we really can be stronger together than we can ever hope to be apart.

As far as the relationship with the UK goes, I hope the EU decides to be firm but fair. If the UK wants common market access, they should get it on the condition of accepting free movement. If they do not want free movement (as seems likely), they should not get common market access but should still be treated as friends.

Good post, Kabouter and I am in complete agreement here.

Someone better see if Herr Merkel is okay. It looks like the 4th Reich will be a no-go.

this post is garbage

All of those British MEP's out of a job now.

I am seriously considering moving. Ireland seems like a logical choice for an English speaker wanting to stay in the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom