• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

your'e prime minister said it, I think you would agree he was one of the 'main' players

Brexit' could trigger World War Three, warns David Cameron

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-could-trigger-world-war-7928607

Read your own fucking links for fuck's sake.

He said we shouldn't take European security for granted, implying quite rightly that the EU was a force for peace on the continent.

He never said a thing about World War Three but the lie campaign did on his behalf.

Read your fucking links.

theaface

Why would they? their job is done

How about to give the British people an explanation of what happens next? A timetable, perhaps? Or an explanation about the £350m a week and reduction in immigration being smoke and mirrors? Y'know, a general sense of taking ownership of what they said. These are the people that asked for this and sold 52% of the country their magic beans - it would be appreciated if they were confident enough and come out and tell us how and when they expect them to grow.

Meanwhile:

"We say here together, this process should get under way as soon as possible so that we are not left in limbo but rather can concentrate on the future of Europe," Mr Steinmeier said.

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2016/06/24/actualidad/1466760623_298165.html

(loosely translation)

"All Europe has been hostage of the UK tories"

Schulz advises that the european path without the UK already started [...]

geordiemp

Leave campaign has realised now that the EU is too big to bully around their will.
Likelihood is that the UK will be a shitty deal. Worse off in everyway possible. I'm so sorry.

Well, I just hope that whatever your allegiances are, something wipes that smug grin off your face.

Wishing people miss fortune seems to be your thing, good luck with that outlook in life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36630326

Also, Merkel will just ignore you anyway, Germany needs to sell us cars. End.

kmag

People expecting a soft line from Merkel when there will be elections next year (and there is an enormous political pressure on her already) are fooling themselves.
It costs her nothing to be nice just now when there's nothing happening expect a different tone in 3 months time after 3 months of uk dithering

Joni

you can not blame another countries postal service for a repeat of the referendum.... it is like taking the Government to court because they held a referendum on a day it rained

It is either all the other postal services or the single one that is involved in sending out every of those letters.

Welp.

I have to say, a lot of talk in here is blown completely out of proportion. The sky is not falling in. We will make trade deals with the EU and we will be fine, even if millions of people get pissy about immigrants coming over.

The overall main point is that we can now also create our own trade deals with other growing economies.

But you won't get any favorable trade deals. Also, the world (US, China) already suggested that England/Wales will have to take a back seat, because they will focus on negotiations with the EU. Why would they care about a weak "Little" Britain?

Tak3n

Banned
Welp.

I have to say, a lot of talk in here is blown completely out of proportion. The sky is not falling in. We will make trade deals with the EU and we will be fine, even if millions of people get pissy about immigrants coming over.

The overall main point is that we can now also create our own trade deals with other growing economies.

yep, Gafs rage undone in one statement from good old Germany, and as they basically run the EU we can all relax have a tequila and know all will be fine

oti

Banned

Yes, because those deals surely will feature more favourable terms than any deal the EU, one of the world's biggest markets, could've negotiated. Because of... the Queen I guess?

Welp.

yeah in 10 years maybe. EU has more important trade deals to discuss

Hasney

yep, Gafs rage undone in one statement from good old Germany, and as they basically run the EU we can all relax have a tequila and know all will be fine

youre_serious_futurama.gif

your'e prime minister said it, I think you would agree he was one of the 'main' players

Brexit' could trigger World War Three, warns David Cameron

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-could-trigger-world-war-7928607

Tak3n, do you only know how to read headlines and not find us the actual evidence of David Cameron mentioning WW3? He mentioned security and terrorist attacks that UK might be more vulnerable to now, which is echoed by quite a few others like the German interior minister Thomas de Maiziere, former security minister Pauline Neville-Jones, and Europol chief Rob Wainwright to name just a few. Brexit makes cooperation with Europe's policy instruments like European intelligence partners, and law enforcement more difficult and have to come up with new negotiations. Brexit means losing access to Europol, European Access Warrant, Eurojust, CEPOL, European Anti Fraud Office, and others.

Brexit Would Impair Britain’s Ability to Tackle Terrorism and Organized Crime

BTW ISIS is pretty happy over Brexit.

Jihadi Telegram Channel Calls for Attacks in Berlin and Brussels to “Paralyse” Europe Following British Referendum to Leave EU

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
People expecting for a soft Merkel are for a rude awakening.

I agree. This isn't about making an example out of the UK either, this is about the EU negotiating the deal that's best for the EU, just as the UK will try to negotiate a deal that's best for the UK. The EU hold the majority of the cards in the negotiations and I don't expect any favours to be given out to the UK.

geordiemp

People expecting for a soft Merkel are for a rude awakening.

People expecting Brits to keep buying German cars are in for a rude awakening if we get fucked over by Germany. Everybody looses. EU is going to rip itself apart with all the hate and vindictiveness..

She is not stupid, she is smart and probably not as vindictive as some of the trolls on GAF.

Ashes

Banned
"The world’s 400 richest people lost $127.4 billion Friday as global equity markets reeled from the news that British voters elected to leave the European Union. The billionaires lost 3.2 percent of their total net worth, bringing the combined sum to $3.9 trillion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. "

The thing is, we don't have to be nasty. It will already be nasty enough for you. There is no need to go the extra mile.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Finally some common sense, makes me feel a bit better about things.

I feel best we can get is free trade / free movement access Both ways.

EU laws we have no say.

That's it as much as people saying 18% is nothing that's still 18% to make up .

They will make it clear we are getting no favours be made an example of but not too intensely as if they do that will send the wrong message .

We will be on talking terms who knows over time we may get better but it will never be the way it was.

Norway-lite we will limp on.

Wait, are there leavers who thought they were voting against tories? Bad news for you, brace for years of tory dominance, and of the reactionary variety .

cilonen

People expecting Brits to keep buying German cars are in for a rude awakening if we get fucked over. Everybody looses.

She is not stupid, unlike some of the posts I tend to read. She is smart and probably not as vindictive as some of the trolls on GAF.

I'm bemused by all of this, but I only wanted to say VW are already hurting internationally in the US market from the emissions rigging scandals. They'd be hurt even more with another major market turning their back on their products.

Doubt the EU is going anywhere or people will want to follow suit.

But that's exactly what's happening, there is a lot of discontent, UK is leaving, what makes you think that other countries (the ones who are subsidizing the have-not countries) aren't considering the same thing? It's obviously not just the movement of low-wage labor, the open border to refugees that some countries feel the need to have a way to control the massive influx into their countries (not saying I care one way or the other) because the Syrian refugee crisis is an issue for many of the EU members in terms of not being equipped to integrate them into their societies (some EU countries are much more impacted by this than others), but other issues as well. Right now EU is over-regulated and led mainly by Germany and countries like France and UK aren't exactly happy with the arrangement (hence Brexit).

Like I said things will play out in the next couple of years, it might get messy but what Brexit does is provide a model/roapmap for other countries to follow suit should they decide leaving the EU is best for them.

The fact you the UK is gonna come out of this unscathed is mind boggling. Maybe lay off the tequila, yeah?

Tak3n

Banned
Gemüsepizza;208310500 said:
The thing is, we don't have to be nasty. It will already be nasty enough for you. There is no need to go the extra mile.

Hope so, but the last 100 pages or so I see a trend of people saying Europe is going to fuck you over you little englenders, or words to that effect

and now we get this from basically the EU leader

“We were sad that things turned out as they did yesterday, and that’s not a reason to be in some way nasty in the negotiations,” she said on Saturday.

But Fromage (or someone from the Brexit bunch) said we could save British Steel if it wasn't for the pesky EU...forget the fact that even without the EU British Steel isn't worth saving as it is an example of how powerful China is, large amounts of natural resources means they can flood the market (though in this case it was due to their construction industry crashing).

And their biggest plant is in....Wales.
The prophecy of Leave voters being the most affected continues.
It is also leave areas being downtrodden. If you're living in financial doom a message of "if you vote leave you will be in financial doom" is meaningless but a message of "if we leave we can save the *local issue*" without a counter claim of "the EU already provides..." is strong.

Oh who am I kidding it is the immigration scaregoat :(

slider

The EU will give us unrestricted access to their markets and they'll be grateful for it. We're British and, umm, that means something. Yeah!

Edit: I really hope we can get something workable.

Uzzy

Sadly we're going back to the old system of Westminster, safe seats and FPTP, the left is screwed. We will have no voice going forward especially if Scotland sods off.

Only if we let Boris and Farage do that. This is a big opportunity to reshape Britain, one the left have to take.

They're basically burning the country to the ground to get back at Westminster. Cutting your nose off to spite your face is a fitting expression for those people.

Plenty of those communities have had decades of being burnt down already. No one should be surprised at all that when they were given a chance to tell Westminster where to go, a place that's ignored them and belittled them and decried them as racist no matter what they said, they took it, ignoring any cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom