• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

So the people who don't pass your "British mindset" purity test are the real bigots. Coolcoolcool.

Yeah keep twisting my words.

My point is it's not the 'British way' to turn on each other in a crisis. The country was split by a vote and now need to make amends and hope/work for the best.

Well said. People are taking this far to personal. If they are really that unhappy, they should be taking that anger out on the government, who have failed in their job.

For various reasons, over half the voters feel there are big problems and a change was needed and they made their voices heard, and with so many people voting that way, there clearly is a problem somewhere.

The EU is partly to blame too, because the UK tried to negotiate some better terms for certain things and the EU hardly agreed to anything, maybe if they had been more willing to change things, this might not have even happened.

Europe is great but the EU is not all its cracked up to be and is not the centre of the universe like some people think it is.

Well said. Juncker hasn't helped things at all and his attitude stinks. When Cameron lied/projected before the vote that he would reopen discussions if we stay, he (Juncker) could have agreed and given people hope that a good deal for UK and EU could be made. Instead he told UK to fuck off. And we did.

And now he's trying to slam the door on our arse on the way out before we've even grabbed our Custard Creams, the cunt.

jm89

"Stop whining, you're perfectly safe"

ClzmR2LWAAAfhgD.jpg

If they think that leaving the EU will suddenly make all immigrants who settled hear decades ago disappear they are in for a shock.

PJV3

Well said. People are taking this far to personal. If they are really that unhappy, they should be taking that anger out on the government, who have failed in their job.

For various reasons, over half the voters feel there are big problems and a change was needed and they made their voices heard, and with so many people voting that way, there clearly is a problem somewhere.

The EU is partly to blame too, because the UK tried to negotiate some better terms for certain things and the EU hardly agreed to anything, maybe if they had been more willing to change things, this might not have even happened.

Europe is great but the EU is not all its cracked up to be and is not the centre of the universe like some people think it is.

The people voted to leave not the government,. With power comes responsibility. Let's hope this doesn't go very wrong and we will get over it.

It's why we normally ask politicians to take the heat. If this goes wrong who takes the heat.

That's what the Leave side should have done in the first place, since about 90% of things they are angry about will not be fixed by leaving the EU.

entremet

The hype of London is a bit misleading.

Of the 3.7 million who voted

2.2m voted Remain
1.5m voted Leave

These are professional people voting leave, not knuckle dragging racists with flags hanging out of the luxury apartment windows. You're going to have get an extremely large angle grinder and cut in half almost every office and borough. The idea of London becoming separate is laughable.

Secondly there's the rich surrounding London areas that have voted leave just like any other part of the country. Very rich liberal places have voted the same as the dirty shitholes. The dirty shitholes were already accounted for, what shook everyone is many places in the South, North, East and West had a slight leave majority despite being thought of as remain.

I'm hearing on BBC radio how some describing the signs, how some liberal areas up and down the country were solicitors etc were asked and they got a shock reply of I'm voting leave. Not much was thought about it at the time.

I have no dog in this fight as an American, but this whole racism angle is such and overplayed and simplistic argument.

For various reasons, over half the voters feel there are big problems and a change was needed and the made their voices heard, and with so many people voting that way, there clearly is a problem somewhere.

Cameron made sensational promises about immigration to the UK voters from his first general election. Since then he appeared to fall flat on his face with every EU negotiation making the UK appear increasingly isolated. Then in the end he ends up with this vote which was his desperate attempt to keep his party full of rebellious anti EU "bastards" in line and not undermine his very slim parliamentary majority. If the EU has a major fault here it is mistaking Cameron for a competent politician who would not allow any real upsets to the system.

Mythos

My point is it's not the 'British way' to turn on each other in a crisis. The country was split by a vote and now need to make amends and hope/work for the best.

But actually thats quite difficult, isn't it? I mean, if i was from UK i would've voted for Remain, but now i shall work with people who've maybe destroyed the future i've planned for myself? That's not so easy...

Hasney

Totally, and since they failed, those that are passionate about the remain side are going to make sure that their voice is heard. I can see either a party starting that is basically the total opposite of UKIP that gets us back closer to Europe, or one of the major parties might have it in their manifesto.

As someone who has always wanted better social welfare even if it costs me more in taxes to help the most vunerable, yet seen those same people vote for Tories and then UKIP and now I get fucked over on top of it, I'm done. I hope I get the chance to try and stand up in my own small way for that again, but first I'll be voting for people that keep us in the EU or if we've already left, the closest relationship possible.

MLH

you really need to stop telling us to come together now after the fact, that was what the remain vote was for. We owe noting to leave voters, even Cameron has resigned and left the mess for a brexit leader to fix.

you really need to stop telling us to come together now after the fact, that was what the remain vote was for. We owe noting to leave voters, even Cameron has resigned and left the mess for a brexit leader to fix.

They owed you nothing either what a sad thing to say.

Corto

UK and Cameron got an exceptional deal with the EU reform deal. UK had a Special Status that no other country in the Union achieved to get. What more could the other 27 have done? More than that would be the death of the Union proper.

So the theory is that the EU will negotiate for a Norway-style exception in order to preserve the financial centers in London? Wouldn't that just make the wealth disparity and job creation problems worse for the UK, especially if EU subsidies for low income areas gets cut off?

Wouldn't less emphasis on the financial sector be possibly more beneficial to the UK in the long term?

WinterX

Banned
The leave vote seems to have given these people the belief that this sort of behaviour is acceptable again, which is what I was worried about happening.
I feel really uncomfortable. I have higher education, I'm 29, I love the English culture but still many people seem unfriendly for no certain reason. People don't even respond to a simple "Hello" anymore. Did I do something wrong or what?

spuckthew

I think I get the EU's angle now: they want the UK to invoke article 50 as soon as possible because otherwise they won't allow them to. Whether this is legal or not I have no idea, but the longer the UK waits the less it seems they (the PM/MPs basically) actually want it.

I mean, what's the point waiting several months? It just keeps a cloud of uncertainty above everything.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that this will somehow undo itself.

Flintty

But actually thats quite difficult, isn't it? I mean, if i was from UK i would've voted for Remain, but now i shall work with people who've maybe destroyed the future i've planned for myself? That's not so easy...

I know it will be hard for people but we are better than this.

The day after the July bombing in 2005, people of London got back on the tubes side by side; Christians, Muslims - all religions and races. I know it's an entirely different situation but it's that solidarity that this country needs now, from both sides of the vote.

Lime

I don't know if any Leavers are in this thread, but I am seriously curious about what you think of the parties and people congratulating you on your Brexit. You have Donald Trump, Viktor Orban, Marie Le Pen, Gert Wilders, Golden Dawn, Sarah Palin, and so on.

How do you come to terms with that? That you have taken a political action that far-right politicians condone and applaud? Don't you realize that something might be amiss when these people are in agreement with you?

I am seriously curious to hear a Leaver's thoughts on this.

Well said. Juncker hasn't helped things at all and his attitude stinks. When Cameron lied/projected before the vote that he would reopen discussions if we stay, he (Juncker) could have agreed and given people hope that a good deal for UK and EU could be made. Instead he told UK to fuck off. And we did.

And now he's trying to slam the door on our arse on the way out before we've even grabbed our Custard Creams, the cunt.

I don't think I am twisting anything. You say that you shouldn't turn on each other but your post talks about how how you have disgust for whiny cunts. You want people to come to your side while simultaneously saying you have no compassion towards them.

That approach isn't going to accomplish much other than making you feel better about yourself.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

"Enough is enough" imo. The UK had tons of outs already, it always had a special relationship. Now it wanted to have an extra again, and it actually got a few concessions. There is a certain point where the EU had to say that that's it. Either take it or leave. The UK population has decided to leave, and that's their right. But blaming the EU for that is ridiculous.

FStop7

Banned
You have to separate it out. There's sell-side and buy-side. Sell-side would follow buyside, who are likely to move first. Regardless, the issue is passporting, if that's gone then the UK is no longer viable to do business in (can't access EEA market) and/or the UK becomes costly to do business in.

For most banks, new rules post 2008 and the reduction in certain type of activity means there is severe pressure on net interest margin (NIM). Given that pressure, institutions has become far more spend-thrift on back and middle office spending, which is the actual bulk of jobs. That pressure has already forced some to move those departments to other parts of the UK (south coast, midlands). Without a passport the UK office could be dead in the water or represent a significant cost of doing business. They would need to make that calculation before moving. For some it's already quite simple.

The biggest impediment to people leaving is moving their families. Which is only an issue they will consider for their front office staff who they don't want to lose, however those in front office are also the best paid (those bonuses people speak of) and are in the best position to move.

For the UK government losing the passport means tanking London and if London goes then so does the economy. You can't replace that so it's going to be crucial to keep it. The French especially want to be harsh on the passporting rights, we get too many exceptions.

Regardless of what happens London will lose financial sector jobs, Euro clearing is definitely on the chopping block.

My prediction is that the banks will be incentivized by the EU to overcome this and other impediments. Maybe behind closed doors. It may already be happening. Draw them out of the UK and it strengthens the EU and further diminishes the UK's already shattered clout and leverage when negotiating the terms of the brexit.

The hype of London is a bit misleading.

Of the 3.7 million who voted

2.2m voted Remain
1.5m voted Leave

These are professional people voting leave, not knuckle dragging racists with flags hanging out of the luxury apartment windows. You're going to have get an extremely large angle grinder and cut in half almost every office and borough. The idea of London becoming separate is laughable.

Secondly there's the rich surrounding London areas that have voted leave just like any other part of the country. Very rich liberal places have voted the same as the dirty shitholes. The dirty shitholes were already accounted for, what shook everyone is many places in the South, North, East and West had a slight leave majority despite being thought of as remain.

I'm hearing on BBC radio how some describing the signs, how some liberal areas up and down the country were solicitors etc were asked and they got a shock reply of I'm voting leave. Not much was thought about it at the time.

There are poor people everywhere though. Nearly every town in England will have some Council housing. I am in Hertfordshire, and my borough voted narrowly to leave which was suprising as we are commuter belt and I haven't met anyone who voted out (apart from my taxi driver last night). I blame it entirely on Hemel Hempstead which is an utterly shit hole and big enough to outweigh in all the wealthier towns and villages nearby.

I don't know if any Leavers are in this thread, but I am seriously curious about what you think of the parties and people congratulating you on your Brexit. You have Donald Trump, Viktor Orban, Marie Le Pen, Gert Wilders, Golden Dawn, Sarah Palin, and so on.

How do you come to terms with that? That you have taken a political action that far-right politicians condone and applaud? Don't you realize that something might be amiss when these people are in agreement with you?

I am seriously curious to hear a Leaver's thoughts on this.

Who gives a shit?

RK9039

bad news for universities
"York undergraduates from the EU could see their tuition fees skyrocket from £9,000 to over £20,000 by September 2018."

http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/news/an...-brexit-threatens-tuition-fee-rise/24/06/2016

The 10 subjects that will be most effected

http://www.thedailytouch.com/Sean/the-10-university-subjects-that-will-be-most-affected-by-brexit/

Damn, that sucks.

From my experience there was a lot of EU students in Law, Philosophy and Politics.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think I get the EU's angle now: they want the UK to invoke article 50 as soon as possible because otherwise they won't allow them to. Whether this is legal or not I have no idea, but the longer the UK waits the less it seems they (the PM/MPs basically) actually want it.

I mean, what's the point waiting several months? It just keeps a cloud of uncertainty above everything.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that this will somehow undo itself.

I agree with you but I don't think they have a choice with the bolded.

Cameron & co spent millions and millions of pounds campaigning to sway me into voting remain, nothing they said, did or otherwise could convince me, so, I fell back onto what David Cameron, Blair, Major and chums has done to me over the years. the right thing to do? revenge?

My life, my families lives and the friends of my families lives have been subject to Camerons lies and cuts, cuts, cuts for 5 years, almost destroying them as human beings.

Nothing from which leaving the EU will ever come even close to what ive seen friends and families go through.

Coming from a working class background and being on this planet for the majority of the EU membership I see nothing that has benefited me personally and tbh i see thats how many people voted, not through blind racist views, not through hate of the Tories. Just simply a gamble that could get no worse for the working class. Most have seen rock bottom, ive been one of the fortunate ones and it ceratinly wasnt down to EU law.

And how did you figure that leaving the EU would help the working class, exactly?

Flintty

Ok then, fuck it all. Let's just not bother trying to fix things. Fuck the government, fuck the poor, fuck the elderly, fuck the EU, fuck everyone, let's start a riot :/

Not saying you owe the leave voters anything but you owe it to yourselves to be be better than the people you apparently hate.

I know it will be hard for people but we are better than this.

The day after the July bombing in 2005, people of London got back on the tubes side by side; Christians, Muslims - all religions and races. I know it's an entirely different situation but it's that solidarity that this country needs now, from both sides of the vote.

It is an entirely different situation. This time, millions of people feel other millions of people, their fellow countrymen, have shafted them. Bet your bottom dollar it'd be the same the other way. Not saying that makes it 'fine', but the issue now is the divide. Solidarity is not something you pull on, it's the objective.

"York undergraduates from the EU could see their tuition fees skyrocket from £9,000 to over £20,000 by September 2018."

http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/news/an...-brexit-threatens-tuition-fee-rise/24/06/2016

http://www.thedailytouch.com/Sean/the-10-university-subjects-that-will-be-most-affected-by-brexit/

The universities stand to do very well. High global demand for them, we've also got more chance of keeping the non EU graduates they produce as well.

SuperSah

Banned

I am a York undergrad and a Law student too, lol.

Sucks my EU friends may face such rises and also hurts that my degree will be massively affected. :/

Flintty

I don't think I am twisting anything. You say that you shouldn't turn on each other but your post talks about how how you have disgust for whiny cunts. You want people to come to your side while simultaneously saying you have no compassion towards them.

That approach isn't going to accomplish much other than making you feel better about yourself.

Conceded, I shouldn't have called you whiney cunts. Stress/frustration I suppose and the Mrs has had that fucking heating on again, I'm baking!

The universities stand to do very well. High global demand for them, we've also got more chance of keeping the non EU graduates they produce as well.

Did you just not bother to read the article that showed the subjects that receive a huge amount of funding from the EU which will now have to find that money from elsewhere.

I guess that £350m a week will help out...

chadskin

- How Leave Outgunned Remain: The Battle of the 'Five Ms'

First more in-depth analysis post-Brexit I've read.
This piece seeks to explain why Leave won the referendum campaign. Remain suffered from five disadvantages: the messengers, the message, migration, the media and the campaign machine – in short, the five Ms.
Ultimately, the self-styled ‘insurgency’ of Vote Leave managed to portray the campaign as a battle of the people against the elites. Somehow, nobody seemed to mind that Johnson was educated at Eton and Oxford, Gove at Oxford and Farage at Dulwich College. Remainers probably had no choice but to keep citing the many experts who said Britain would be better off in. However, each time they did so, they reinforced Leave’s claim that they were condescending towards common people. Perhaps the most significant quote of the entire campaign was Gove’s “I think people in this country have had enough of experts” – one that he may live to regret.

dealer-

I feel really uncomfortable. I have higher education, I'm 29, I love the English culture but still many people seem unfriendly for no certain reason. People don't even respond to a simple "Hello" anymore. Did I do something wrong or what?

No you didn't do anything wrong. Come down to Bristol, we had a protest yesterday about the result. You will still be welcomed by many across the country.

Did you just not bother to read the article that showed the subjects that receive a huge amount of funding from the EU which will now have to find that money from elsewhere.

I guess that £350m a week will help out...

Non EU students pay massive bucks to come and study here. The EU funding was to subsidise against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom