• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

As a leave supporter and what I would consider broadly a left winger, I honestly cannot stand those fuckers you mentioned. The same goes for that arsehole Boris, that Cunt Grove and that tosspot Nigel. However having said that the old phrase "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind.

I wouldn't say voting to leave a trading block like the EU is necessarily a "right wing" thing to do. It all comes down to the reasons why someone would vote to do such an action. I voted to leave because I believe it is in the best long term interests of the UK and the EU. With the UK out of the EU we can now both pursue our futures.

The fact those arseholes you mentioned agreed with me is neither here nor there. Sure they are agreeing with the action but the reasons I voted to leave are a world apart from the reasons they are cheering the leave vote on.

Thanks for providing your input, I appreciate it.

On a sidenote I still think you should take into account that the consequences of your vote is in alignment with these arseholes and that you may need be aware of the disastrous impact it will certainly have on the stability of your country.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If there was certain proof. America also have capital punishment so what are you saying about America then?

The death penalty is deplorable and it's cartoonish that America has no problem retaining it and thus following the example of such shitty states as Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Sudan? Did you really think the person was going to reply "Uhhhh huhhhhh I have no idea idea???? Is America good???? Now I have no idea what I feel about the death penalty????"

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Ready for Brexit? Told UK has just 12-20 trade negotiators on the payroll, needs hundreds.....
https://t.co/c8AwhxHC3q

OK, I think I'm out of this thread for a bit, its making my blood boil.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
By raising tariffs, by starting to deport British citizens, by blocking entry to Brits, by blocking imports, etc.

Not now, I suppose, but 2 years from now. They could very easily say that the day of the referendum and Cameron's speech qualifies as the starting date and then, negotiations and agreement or not, start considering the UK out of the EU.

Edit: OK, looks like EU staff has clarified they would not take this route. Then... Well, I suppose both parties could drag this out ad infinitum.

All of that shit would be illegal to do to a member state. It's not that they won't take that route, it's that they cannot take that route legally.

Nothing has changed today compared to the day before the referendum. All that happened is that a slight majority of the people who decided to vote (which does not equal a majority of eligible voters in the UK) said that they wanted to leave the EU. That's it.

I've just been talking with my brother in law, who works for one of the worlds biggest hedge funds and they will be leaving

The only out they see, is if France, Spain and Italy have a populist uprising and demand a referendum as well and maybe then the EU will sit down and try to reform

oti

Banned
Ready for Brexit? Told UK has just 12-20 trade negotiators on the payroll, needs hundreds.....

What an utter humiliation this must be for the Brits. I remember when people talked about Greece not having its shit together but the UK? One of the biggest economies in the world? What the hell is this?

Joni

I've just been talking with my brother in law, who works for one of the worlds biggest hedge funds and they will be leaving

The only out they see, is if France, Spain and Italy have a populist uprising and demand a referendum as well and maybe then the EU will sit down and try to reform

They are working on a EU reform, but that doesn't include the UK.

Alx

This is doing the rounds on twitter. A list of referendums that were ignored or repeated in th past.

https://twitter.com/tomcopy/status/746762528705896448

It's annoying to keep reading that the 2005 referendums about the Constitution were ignored. The Constitution project failed because of them, and the text isn't in application. The Lisbon treaty reintroduced some parts from the text, but many of the elements from the original text were just cancelled.

Long live Europa and the Nations : The political organization called "European Union" could die as far as I'm concerned.

Being "European" means nothing : There's not many thing I share with most European, a common continent, a certain sense of democracy and human rights and that's about it.

You don't seem to understand that the more you diluate this European identity the more you'll end with people such as me which know jack shit about what being European is all about.

Yeah I'm European compared to a Brazilian and so what ?

In the same way that Northern African people call black Africa people 'Africains" (as if they were not African themselves" : You'll have big trouble making French or Spanish believe that they share much in common with Romanians or Greeks.

In which way did the EU prevent the UK from pursuing its future long term interests?

The UK does not want to belong to a EU federal state. We do not want more and more integration with the EU . The UK wants to do it's own thing and sell it's crap where ever it can sell it. The only reason we joined the EU in the first place was to sell crap and we were happy doing that.

Then of course in the 90's things started to get messy with more and more integration and ever since the UK has become a thorn in the EU's side blocking and stalling much of the integration that the EU wants to achieve.

So by the UK leaving we can get on with selling our crap to whom ever wants it (because outside the EU we can make trade agreements with other countries) and the EU can get on with it's goal of closer and closer integration without interference from us.

theaface

There are poor people everywhere though. Nearly every town in England will have some Council housing. I am in Hertfordshire, and my borough voted narrowly to leave which was suprising as we are commuter belt and I haven't met anyone who voted out (apart from my taxi driver last night). I blame it entirely on Hemel Hempstead which is an utterly shit hole and big enough to outweigh in all the wealthier towns and villages nearby.

Elstree & Borehamwood, by chance? Sounds exactly like it (my area). Narrow Leave vote, which shocked me. Immigration isn't an issue here and though we do have some poorer areas, it's nothing like the large swathes of disenchanted working class poor in other parts of the country.

Got to say I didn't see the whole vote leave to stick it to the elites angle coming. It makes no sense to me because they'll be fine even if they do lose money. Once again it'll be the poorest and most vulnerable people that feel the impact the most. More cuts to public services and benefits. When their lives become even more of a struggle "We're already fucked so it doesn't matter" isn't going to be much consolation.

Lime

Sir Andrew Cahn, former head of UK Trade and Investment and a Remain campaigner, told Today the civil service faced its biggest challenge since World War Two.

He said: "The legislative programme required to create the new policies which will be domestic policies to replace European policies must be a decade's worth of Queen's Speeches.

"It must fill up the parliamentary legislative agenda for as far as the eye can see."

Of course there will be other laws and priorities. Government will go on. But finding time in Whitehall and Parliament will be more challenging than before.

oti

Banned
Long live Europa and the Nations : The political organization called "European Union" could die as far as I'm concerned.

Being "European" means nothing : There's not many thing I share with most European, a common continent, a certain sense of democracy and human rights and that's about it.

You don't seem to understand that the more you diluate this European identity the more you'll end with people such as me which know jack shit about what being European is all about.

In the same way that Northern African people call black Africa people 'Africains" (as if they were not African themselves" : You'll have big trouble making French or Spanish believe that they share much in common with Romanians or Greeks.

I'm so glad I'm not like you.

What an utter humiliation this must be for the Brits. I remember when people talked about Greece not having its shit together but the UK? One of the biggest economies in the world? What the hell is this?

The left leaning types were apathetic and didn't think the poor and disenfranchised were stupid enough to fall for all the bullshit. Low and behold we're now out of the EU with a man masquerading as a clown (Boris Johnson) vying for the top position, and all without an election.

They really walked into that giant clusterfuck. I'm going to love it when they realise how much of a shit storm it's going to be.

They are working on a EU reform, but that doesn't include the UK.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying? Proper reform, Its quite possible that our leave vote (possibly) lights a fire in other countries and theres a populist uprising for them to also leave

Only then will they sit down and try to make a modern/open/truly democratic EU

Edit I also forget to say they're forecasting it will be at least 10yrs before we properly emerge from this hole (if we leave)

guit3457

We have a populist uprising in Spain? lol first news to me.

Pretty much every major political party in Spain is pro-european. Even Unidos Podemos (a left wing party now with comunists) is pro european but wants to reform the EU from inside.

Please...

slider

You have to separate it out. There's sell-side and buy-side. Sell-side would follow buyside, who are likely to move first. Regardless, the issue is passporting, if that's gone then the UK is no longer viable to do business in (can't access EEA market) and/or the UK becomes costly to do business in.

For most banks, new rules post 2008 and the reduction in certain type of activity means there is severe pressure on net interest margin (NIM). Given that pressure, institutions has become far more spend-thrift on back and middle office spending, which is the actual bulk of jobs. That pressure has already forced some to move those departments to other parts of the UK (south coast, midlands). Without a passport the UK office could be dead in the water or represent a significant cost of doing business. They would need to make that calculation before moving. For some it's already quite simple.

The biggest impediment to people leaving is moving their families. Which is only an issue they will consider for their front office staff who they don't want to lose, however those in front office are also the best paid (those bonuses people speak of) and are in the best position to move.

For the UK government losing the passport means tanking London and if London goes then so does the economy. You can't replace that so it's going to be crucial to keep it. The French especially want to be harsh on the passporting rights, we get too many exceptions.

Regardless of what happens London will lose financial sector jobs, Euro clearing is definitely on the chopping block.

Thanks avaya, interesting and gave me a few things to read up on.

Real Hero

As a leave supporter and what I would consider broadly a left winger, I honestly cannot stand those fuckers you mentioned. The same goes for that arsehole Boris, that Cunt Grove and that tosspot Nigel. However having said that the old phrase "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind.

I wouldn't say voting to leave a trading block like the EU is necessarily a "right wing" thing to do. It all comes down to the reasons why someone would vote to do such an action. I voted to leave because I believe it is in the best long term interests of the UK and the EU. With the UK out of the EU we can now both pursue our futures.

The fact those arseholes you mentioned agreed with me is neither here nor there. Sure they are agreeing with the action but the reasons I voted to leave are a world apart from the reasons they are cheering the leave vote on.
Difference is those guys will now be in charge because of this

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

And this, I think, is behind some of the current fuss about the timing of Article 50 notification.

Clearly it is in the UK's interest to delay this at least until there are the political structures in place to handle the negotiation and its fallout. That probably means after the next General Election, which I expect to see considerably sooner than 2020.

It is the the EUs interest to push for immediate notification, for three reasons:
- to try and put a plug in uprisings in other member states
- to avoid having to face the fact that internal reforms may be necessary and to do anything about them
- to avoid the nightmare scenario of more than one state in parallel operating Article 50

This last one is a nightmare because of the way article 50 is worded. For example obviously the UK is excluded from discussions about the EU stance on the UKs exit - but if, say Sweden were exiting at the same time there is no legal provision to exclude Sweden from the UK's discussions and vice-versa, and the EU's negotiating stance would be thrown wide open.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Apparently those 1000 are high paying jobs. Like really high paying. Meaning that income tax will not be going to HM revenue and customs, but the Paris equivalent.

Corto

That's your right to think that way. That certain sense of democracy, rule of law, and the human rights are what gives you that inalienable right to have and express your opinion. Cherish that.

WinterX

Banned

In my world there would be no nations and English would be native language. I'm sick of this medieval bullshit when I go to an European country - "oh, he's French, he's a coward because of WW2" or "oh, he's English, he drinks tea at 5 PM and loves monarchy".

We are all humans, nationality and religions are blocking the way for way too long.

Yep.

They rally against the EU in an attempt to stick it to the tories only to let one sociopath clever enough to masquerade as a clown right into one of the top positions. And to think no election was necessary.

I will never stop being angry at this giant fucking mess.

We have a populist uprising in Spain? lol first news to me.

Pretty much every major political party in Spain is pro-european. Even Unidos Podemos is pro european but wants to reform the EU from inside.

Please...

Did you miss the if What about the Basque problem? Scotland pushing for an out and in will bring that back to the fore.

Lime

The political incompetence in this whole clusterfuck is staggering. It's so unprofessional and childish and immature. Fucking Brexiters don't even have a plan in place and the dude who fucking called the referendum is leaving the mess to let some other random guy take care of it.

It's mindboggingly incompetent. They might as well just have monkeys taking care of it.

We had arseholes like Cameron, May and Osbourne in charge before. All that has happened is that we have swapped one bunch of arseholes for another bunch of arseholes. If there was something I could do to get these arseholes out of power I would happily do it. If there was a referendum tomorrow asking if I want Boris as PM it would be a big enthusiastic "not in a fucking month of sundays"

Considering how UK treats non EU students (I am one myself), lulz.
You know how many months they gave me to find a job after I finished my degree? 4 months, not even long enough for a graduate internship, especially considering most start around the time your visa is about to finish. Plus you have to find a willing employer who can sponsor your visa, pay you above the average income...and once you get that you have to go back to your home country and apply for the visa there.

Thanks to Theresa May.

That was a very deliberate attempt to get immigration figures down by using discrimination against the very people we should be embracing.

Sorry for you my friend.

Lime

Yep.

They rally against the EU in an attempt to stick it to the tories only to let one sociopath clever enough to masquerade as a clown right into one of the top positions. And to think no election was necessary.

I will never stop being angry at this giant fucking mess.

I think you'll have to be angry for the rest of your life. I don't see this getting fixed and the UK (or whatever remains of it) are going to have to live with the consequences for decades to come.

Real Hero

We had arseholes like Cameron, May and Osbourne in charge before. All that has happened is that we have swapped one bunch of arseholes for another bunch of arseholes. If there was something I could do to get these arseholes out of power I would happily do it. If there was a referendum tomorrow asking if I want Boris as PM it would be a big enthusiastic "not in a fucking month of sundays"
Well there's likely going to be an election so will you be voting labour? I will in the vain hope this might swing the other way but it seems very very unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom