• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl2291

I'm curious.

If a 2nd referendum was to be called, if it needed 60% of the vote being Remain to change the original referendum, would the people signing the petition be happy with that?

Oriel

Looks like UK politicians were really caught off guard by yesterdays results

Which makes you wonder why they endorsed a Leave vote at all if they didn't understand the huge ramifications of such a result.

So the Norway deal is not a good deal then for the fools who voted leave?

This is such a stupid time to be alive.

The EEA is basically 90% EU membership but without any say whatsoever in the running of the EU or drafting of its laws. If the Brexiters had a problem with "unelected eurocrats" determining laws for them before this vote you can just imagine what EEA membership would do to them.

The only thing that would suit these people is complete isolation from Europe and withdrawal from all pan European bodies like the Council of Europe.

Explaining the entire situation to a american friend of mine while not completely understanding it myself has been fun.

Sure there is the xenophobic under current to the leave vote but there is also the whole anti government view from the Northern parts as well.

And I have zero fucking idea what Wales was smoking when they voted leave. I need to read up on that.

Another one wanting the magic money tree... Sigh...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36629533?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter (Correct link)

This is the shit that gets me heated

You idiots!

ittoryu

The Leavers voted for what they believed in, exercising their right to vote. It's the remainers who I see driving a wedge in with their constant bitching and slating of voters. Like I said in my previous post, people need to dry their eyes, dust themselves off and get on with things instead of being whiney cunts asking for the poor to be punished for an il-informed vote. That's not the British mindset and people saying things like that are turning into the very thing they hate. Biggots. No compassion at all.

I'm actually disgusted, to be honest. The tone of the posts on this forum is vile.
Today, in my local neighborhood group on Facebook (in London), I've been told that they hope I will find a place where people will want me, because i need to "fuck off" now and I can finally stop stealing money from hard working British people.
This is not a political group, people ask for plumbers on this small group and things like that.

I am not constantly bitching, I am genuinely scared and, what scares me the most, is the attitude from leavers to deny any massive push thanks to xenophobic campaign, racist remarks and nationalistic slogan.

Let me tell you: the disgusted one is me.

kmag

4 indie game devs in London are closing... (didn't think this was big enough for gaming side) https://twitter.com/ThatThereTim/status/746763506595291136
it's really sad because a lot of it is unexpected

My business ( I do short term high end network and security consultancy work) has had two cancellations both from the financial sector in London since yesterday, I'm expecting a load more over the next week.

On the plus side I've got an unexpected week off a week on Monday (and they had to pay me an exit fee for that one)

Lucumo

So with the Petition now at 2,000,000 in less than 48 hours...how serious will people take it?

As I already said in another thread: Considering that you can easily sign up other people by using their name and creating a fake email-account in one second - not seriously. The media will probably push it anyway.

Kurtofan

There's a suggestion that any exit agreement with the EU could require consent from the Scottish Parliament.

ClzsY6aWQAE4cu-.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/PeteWishart/status/746741523522400256

the rorschach option

Can't make this shit up:

4zlLl03.jpg

via twitter

That shit enrages me no end! the information was there, only it wasn't on the little bubble that exists around the daily mail readers!

In my own personal experience:

A Steel Working friend voted out - the outlook on British Steel is as bleek today as it was before the vote

A recently qualified Nurse who believed the 350million for the NHS voted out and is now coming to the realization she is wrong and falling back onto the sovereignty argument and making Britain great again - whilst the Scots and Irish want independence now

The most irritating, a recently qualified mechanic (whatever the top level NVQ is) voted out....after getting his dream job with BMW! i don't even need to explain whats wrong with that do i?

I kind of feel like I'm going to loose friends over this, because i cannot reconcile with the stupidity,ignorance and arrogance from some of them

on a personal note,i was buying a house from a couple who were buying her parents home, as her parents were moving/retiring to Spain - looks like that isn't happening now

What is the advantage of a Norway deal in comparison to where we were/are?

Seems that if we were going to go down that route, then we've really cut ourselves a raw deal.

I think Norway can negotiate it's own trade deals. I think that's why Dan the Tory MEP guy wants to leave the EU. So we can do trade agreements with the commonwealth that aren't delayed/blocked by the EU joint negotiation.

Still, a Norway deal would go completely against the promises made to leave voters. We'd still pay the EU, we'd have no extra immigration control and the EU would still control many laws (externally enforced by Europeans in EFTA courts I stead of the ECJ)

Hasney

Flintty

Today, in my local neighborhood group on Facebook (in London), I've been told that they hope I will find a place where people will want me, because i need to "fuck off" now and I can finally stop stealing money from hard working British people.
This is not a political group, people ask for plumbers on this small group and things like that.

I am not constantly bitching, I am genuinely scared and, what scares me the most, is the attitude from leavers to deny any massive push thanks to xenophobic campaign, racist remarks and nationalistic slogan.

Let me tell you: the disgusted one is me.

I'm sorry people are behaving like animals to you, there's no excuse for behaving like that and it makes be feel ashamed as an English/British person that people still act that way. They give other Leave voters a bad name, please don't assume we are all like that.

So with the Petition now at 2,000,000 in less than 48 hours...how serious will people take it?

The petition sort of annoys me. I'm not happy with the result, people are free to express it in their own way, and I think there should have at least been a minimum on turnout.

If there were to be a second referendum, it shouldn't be because people are surprised by the result - it should be a change of circumstances, potentially a new party or govt or if we reach a point in the article 50 negotiations where there is a proper "okay X is the leaving deal - do we take this, or cancel the leaving process?". In that case, I think you can justify a "right, we know what the deal could be - do we take it?" double check.

Otherwise it's kinda pointless. Plus it'd be too soon and it'd kill any potential of engaging those who are mostly unhappy with the current state of politics. "Thanks for voting but we don't like that result, do it again" yeah that'll help. Ask again if there's a good reason to - but immediately on these percentages, nonsense.

WinterX

Banned
28657-201606251727-lg2.jpg

It's started.

I'm not a big fan of the East Europeans (I'm one myself) but I do understand them. They are here for work, they complain about weather but still they want to stay here. There are many more attractive countries and the Brits should respect them more.

this is painful

Less than a month before the historic EU referendum, the team assembled by Cameron to keep Britain in the European Union was worried about wavering Labour voters and frustrated by the opposition leader’s lukewarm support. Remain campaign operatives floated a plan to convince Corbyn to make a public gesture of cross-party unity by appearing in public with the prime minister. Polling showed this would be the “number one” play to reach Labour voters.

Senior staff from the campaign “begged” Corbyn to do a rally with the prime minister, according to a senior source who was close to the Remain campaign. Corbyn wanted nothing to do with the Tory leader, no matter what was at stake. Gordon Brown, the Labour prime minister whom Cameron vanquished in 2010, was sent to plead with Corbyn to change his mind. Corbyn wouldn’t.

What an egotistical shitstain.

Oriel

I was really pleased to read this. It's about time they all (including our MPs) started acting professional and get to work on making the best of the situation.

I don't regret my vote at all but I'm getting concerned about the rhetoric from the majority of EU wanting to hang UK out to dry and the bile being spewed by pro-Remain people. It's fucking done. The British public shouldn't be punished in its entirety because of a very closely won vote. Fucking get on with life and make it work.

As for idiots petitioning for an independent London, wtf to that.

Yeah! Let's cut their heating allowance too! That'll learn them! Come on dude, we're better than this.

What's there to get on with? Out means out. No free movement. No free trade. No special dispensations for the City. If you wanted all this then you should have stayed. Toodle pip old boy, Britain is just another country outisde the EU and we owe them nothing.

Empty

But Corbyn was too busy with "meetings after meetings"...

sounds like he was quite busy yes

And his EU planning diary - leaked to HuffPost - as a result was ‘light’ on EU events. MPs felt there were days where Corbyn did nothing at all on the campaign, while Cameron was out on the stump nearly every single day. Some were surprised he took a holiday in the middle of the campaign itself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...nd-fuelled-brexit_uk_576eb1b5e4b0d2571149bb1f

more:

Corbin was encouraged by staff to avoid participating in LabourIN events, TV debates or any ‘StrongerIn’ events. Instead of working on a common position, an “alternative narrative” was developed in which Corbyn would criticise the EU’s weaknesses and call for reform.

The phrase ‘That’s why I am campaigning to remain in the EU’ was deleted from numerous leader speeches and interventions in the long and short campaigns outside of the LabourIN campaign, despite calls from other parts of the Party to him to get involved.
Corbyn’s allies signed off a planned visit to Turkey early in the ‘short campaign’, to talk about “open borders”. After opposition from other parts of the party, it was eventually vetoed.

The leader’s office declined to cooperate with other parts and wings of the Labour Party in making the case to remain, including any cooperation with former leaders Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. It also vetoed repeated attempts to get him to make a video explaining why he was campaigning to remain.

One Labour campaign source said that the head of the LabourIn campaign, Alan Johnson, asked for a meeting with Corbyn in April and was told by his team that the only available date would be July.
One particular flashpoint came when Corbyn’s team promised to include significant pro-Remain content in a keynote speech Corbyn was due to give at green energy firm Ecotricity in mid-May. The speech was in the “EU grid” and was flagged as a big EU intervention to the press. But all pro-EU content ended up being removed by Milne, insiders say.

On the Sunday before polling day the leader’s office broke promises to let Sunday newspaper journalists have pro-EU comments ahead of Corbyn’s appearance on the BBCs Andrew Marr show.

People vote labour because their dad and grandad did.
People vote Tory because of benefits.
People vote lib dem because they don't like the above.
People vote remain because they didn't want to spend an extra 10 minutes at passport control on their annual holiday to Benidorm.
People vote leave because they don't like Cameron.

All of those reasons do not matter because one person has one vote and they can spend it on what ever they feel is important on the day.

Some here need to deal with this fact.

We are leaving the EU. Some doors will close this is true, some that were previously locked will unlock we will have no idea what's behind them until we open them.

The financial sector may get smaller, it may not,it will certainly have to adapt it's focus. Other sectors may find new opportunities in the world, we may even see a bit of a rebalancing of the economy away from the few square miles of the centre of London, something a lot on this forum think would be a good thing.

One thing is certain, other countries thrive outside the EU and are doing much better than us. It can be done.

Corbyn is a closet eurosceptic, only he only went in the closet very recently.

Tak3n

Banned
so article 50 has been clarified, and confirmed, it is up to the UK to decide

How will Article 50 be triggered?
Posted at
19:09
A spokesman for the European Council has issued the following statement clarifying how Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is triggered - the mechanism to be used by a country withdrawing from the EU.

The notification of Article 50 is a formal act and has to be done by the British government to the European Council. It has to be done in an unequivocal manner with the explicit intent to trigger Article 50.
It could either be a letter to the President of the European Council or an official statement at a meeting of the European Council duly noted in the official records of the meeting. Negotiations of leaving and the future relationship can only begin after such a formal notification.
If it is indeed the intention of the British government to leave the EU, it is therefore in its interest to notify as soon as possible."

Conan-san

What's there to get on with? Out means out. No free movement. No free trade. No special dispensations for the City. If you wanted all this then you should have stayed. Toodle pip old boy, Britain is just another country outisde the EU and we owe them nothing.

Genuinely curious, your thoughts on Scotland's place in all this given they voted stay? Or is it a case of "Fuck them, they bear the mark of Kain"?

The Leavers voted for what they believed in, exercising their right to vote. It's the remainers who I see driving a wedge in with their constant bitching and slating of voters. Like I said in my previous post, people need to dry their eyes, dust themselves off and get on with things instead of being whiney cunts asking for the poor to be punished for an il-informed vote. That's not the British mindset and people saying things like that are turning into the very thing they hate. Biggots. No compassion at all.

I'm actually disgusted, to be honest. The tone of the posts on this forum is vile.

So the people who don't pass your "British mindset" purity test are the real bigots. Coolcoolcool.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Wait, so it's disingenuous to use a metric of the 100 largest companies in Britain? It has no effect until it includes the top 250? Also I'm pretty sure multinationals care when this makes it harder for them to do business.....

The 100 largest companies based in the UK, not those who have most of their operations there.
For companies like Shell and Vodafone, UK is a small part of their operations.

In contrast, the FTSE 250 is mostly companies which have most of their operations and sales in the UK.

If you produce in China, sell globally and have branches in all major financial capitals, are you really a UK company that feels the brunt of Brexit?

dealer-

"Stop whining, you're perfectly safe"

28657-201606251727-lg2.jpg

It's started.

I'm not a big fan of the East Europeans (I'm one myself) but I do understand them. They are here for work, they complain about weather but still they want to stay here. There are many more attractive countries and the Brits should respect them more.

The leave vote seems to have given these people the belief that this sort of behaviour is acceptable again, which is what I was worried about happening.

Dascu

Via what mechanism will they force a British exit? Just yell at them a bunch?

By raising tariffs, by starting to deport British citizens, by blocking entry to Brits, by blocking imports, etc.

Not now, I suppose, but 2 years from now. They could very easily say that the day of the referendum and Cameron's speech qualifies as the starting date and then, negotiations and agreement or not, start considering the UK out of the EU.

Edit: OK, looks like EU staff has clarified they would not take this route. Then... Well, I suppose both parties could drag this out ad infinitum.

Zaph

4 indie game devs in London are closing... (didn't think this was big enough for gaming side) https://twitter.com/ThatThereTim/status/746763506595291136

It's going to surprise a lot of Leavers just how many Brexit clauses were in place for previously done deals, and believe me, they were very generous because a) people didn't think it would happen and b) they had to be.

I know of two big ones that are going to be addressed first thing on Monday. Current rumbling seems to be cut sunk costs and action on the clause.

The hype of London is a bit misleading.

Of the 3.7 million who voted

2.2m voted Remain
1.5m voted Leave

These are professional people voting leave, not knuckle dragging racists with flags hanging out of the luxury apartment windows. You're going to have get an extremely large angle grinder and cut in half almost every office and borough. The idea of London becoming separate is laughable.

Secondly there's the rich surrounding London areas that have voted leave just like any other part of the country. Very rich liberal places have voted the same as the dirty shitholes. The dirty shitholes were already accounted for, what shook everyone is many places in the South, North, East and West had a slight leave majority despite being thought of as remain.

I'm hearing on BBC radio how some describing the signs, how some liberal areas up and down the country were solicitors etc were asked and they got a shock reply of I'm voting leave. Not much was thought about it at the time.

The 100 largest companies based in the UK, not those who have most of their operations there.
For companies like Shell and Vodafone, UK is a small part of their operations.

In contrast, the FTSE 250 is mostly companies which have most of their operations and sales in the UK.

If you produce in China, sell globally and have branches in all major financial capitals, are you really a UK company that feels the brunt of Brexit?

After this, maybe not for much longer and that's the problem in a nutshell.

Well said. People are taking this far to personal. If they are really that unhappy, they should be taking that anger out on the government, who have failed in their job.

For various reasons, over half the voters feel there are big problems and a change was needed and they made their voices heard, and with so many people voting that way, there clearly is a problem somewhere.

The EU is partly to blame too, because the UK tried to negotiate some better terms for certain things and the EU hardly agreed to anything, maybe if they had been more willing to change things, this might not have even happened.

Europe is great but the EU is not all its cracked up to be and is not the centre of the universe like some people think it is.

Hasney

The leave vote seems to have given these people the belief that this sort of behaviour is acceptable again, which is what I was worried about happening.

Yeah, there was a lot of people who thought that the one brightside of this is that maybe it would help knowing that we can close our borders slightly and that UKIP were now irrelevant.

Social media and the internet itself can magnify things, so I hope that's what happening here, but every single one of these cunts that are doing this type of things should be made to leave instead, maybe to the ocean. I don't care what land they crawled out of a vagina on, they can fuck right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom