• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
bad news for universities
"York undergraduates from the EU could see their tuition fees skyrocket from £9,000 to over £20,000 by September 2018."

http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/news/an...-brexit-threatens-tuition-fee-rise/24/06/2016

The 10 subjects that will be most effected

http://www.thedailytouch.com/Sean/the-10-university-subjects-that-will-be-most-affected-by-brexit/

I dont have a issue with that, if you want to come here to study it is not unreasonable that you pay more for that privilege, just like non eu students...

Perfectly reasonable

Non EU students pay massive bucks to come and study here. The EU funding was to subsidise against that.

I don't think you understand how research funding grants work.

You bid for research grants from EU sources based on the research you propose to carry out, it has nothing to do with non-EU students fees or EU subsidising against them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Genuinely curious, your thoughts on Scotland's place in all this given they voted stay? Or is it a case of "Fuck them, they bear the mark of Kain"?

Scotland is not a member of the EU post-Brexit. It's not "fuck them", it's just straight up you get benefits for being a member, and they're not a member. If they want to join the EU, they should join the EU. If their colonial masters won't let them, that's pretty sad, but I can't imagine that would be the case given that Prime Minister Johnson is such a great advocate for democratic self-determination.

Damerman

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36630326

I love the way Merkel just walks into the room, smacks Junker & the other assorted cretins upside the head, tells him to STFU and states that there is no rush at all in forcing the UK out and it can be a perfectly pleasant relationship going forward.

Nice to have someone with a braincell back in charge. Now if only we had a leader in the UK who had one, we might be able to get out of this fucking mess.
merkel stays winning. Fucking love her.

Tak3n

Banned
so all I am seeing in the news is that suddenly old people are the scourge of society, lovely way to blame a generation for exercising their democratic right, which is doubly ironic as the Tories go to great length to tell us that old people deserve a triple lock pension, because they have done their shift in society...

So I fully expect the tories to just ignore all this blame game on older people

I keep on hearing things from leave voters talking about the European parliament as being undemocratic. These people have absolutely no fucking clue about anything.

And some wonder why we're so angry. A lot of these people are either dumb as a rock or completely ignorant.

Bedlam

The petition sort of annoys me. I'm not happy with the result, people are free to express it in their own way, and I think there should have at least been a minimum on turnout.

If there were to be a second referendum, it shouldn't be because people are surprised by the result - it should be a change of circumstances, potentially a new party or govt or if we reach a point in the article 50 negotiations where there is a proper "okay X is the leaving deal - do we take this, or cancel the leaving process?". In that case, I think you can justify a "right, we know what the deal could be - do we take it?" double check.

Otherwise it's kinda pointless. Plus it'd be too soon and it'd kill any potential of engaging those who are mostly unhappy with the current state of politics. "Thanks for voting but we don't like that result, do it again" yeah that'll help. Ask again if there's a good reason to - but immediately on these percentages, nonsense.
This is exactly what must not happen and why the EU needs to act fast on this.

The fallout of the Brexit referendum is already borderline catastrophic. Jobs have been lost, businesses rethink their strategies, billions of $ of worth have been destroyed, markets around the globe are in turmoil, radical far-right parties in many countries have been emboldened and Europe - or even the whole global community - is politically less stable than last week.

I'm sorry that the UK voted to leave the EU. We are weaker without you but the process needs to be as swift as possible. The EU cannot allow itself to become a toy in the power plays of inept British politicians. Yes - No - Yes - No ... depending on what populist politician managed to fool the uneducated parts of the British people at a given point? Nope. This is literally serious business and the UK in its current form is obviously not fit for it.

The EU is partly to blame too, because the UK tried to negotiate some better terms for certain things and the EU hardly agreed to anything, maybe if they had been more willing to change things, this might not have even happened.
Well said. Juncker hasn't helped things at all and his attitude stinks. When Cameron lied/projected before the vote that he would reopen discussions if we stay, he (Juncker) could have agreed and given people hope that a good deal for UK and EU could be made. Instead he told UK to fuck off. And we did.
No. The UK can't just keep blackmailing the EU to get increasingly favorable deals and exemptions from standards that everyone else agreed to.

Europe is great but the EU is not all its cracked up to be and is not the centre of the universe like some people think it is.
Neither is the UK.

gai_shain

I dont have a issue with that, if you want to come here to study it is not unreasonable that you pay more for that privilege, just like non eu students...

Perfectly reasonable

you dont seem to have an issue with anything though as long as its happening because of the leave vote.
Or is there anything that you didnt think would happen that happened that you think of as a negative?

nOoblet16

Perfectly reasonable

People from any country can go to Germany regardless of being from EU or not and study for free.
But yes this was going to happen, without EU funding British universities will charge the same to an EU national as they currently do for non EU nationals. My friend from Norway had to pay 12K a year for her degree from 2011-2014.

The problem now will be the grants that universities get for research, it will go away. I know mine will if we exit the EU before I finish.

cilonen

I feel really uncomfortable. I have higher education, I'm 29, I love the English culture but still many people seem unfriendly for no certain reason. People don't even respond to a simple "Hello" anymore. Did I do something wrong or what?

Hell, people look at me strangely if I offer a friendly "Hello" and I'm as IC1 as they come.

Tak3n

Banned
you dont seem to have an issue with anything though as long as its happening because of the leave vote.
Or is there anything that you didnt think would happen that happened that you think of as a negative?

But why should they still get reduced fee degrees when we are not in the EU, how is that far to those who have to pay that from non-eu countries...

That is a question?

Damerman

Former Finnish PM say it might 4-5 years for Brexit, he essentially wants a Norway style deal:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-06-25/there-s-no-point-rushing-brexit-says-stubb
Was just reading up on norway and how it deals with the EU... This a bold prediction, but im willing to bet that the next Norwegian referendum(the last one was in 1994) will see them become members of the eu as the conservative party squanders the good that the labour party has done.

Wanting something like what norway has literally strikes me as slowly intergeating back into the EU.

Whats even fucking worse is that as of now the british are not part of the Schengen area... But if they go for a norwegian deal, they will be more closely integrated to the EU than before, correct me if im wrong.

oti

Banned
If there were to be a second referendum, it shouldn't be because people are surprised by the result - it should be a change of circumstances, potentially a new party or govt or if we reach a point in the article 50 negotiations where there is a proper "okay X is the leaving deal - do we take this, or cancel the leaving process?". In that case, I think you can justify a "right, we know what the deal could be - do we take it?" double check.

This is not how this works. This isn't a Chinese buffet.

If he's researched the consequences of the leave vote stuff like this will have been considered. We've been discriminating heavily against non EU citizens since we joined.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
- How Leave Outgunned Remain: The Battle of the 'Five Ms'

First more in-depth analysis post-Brexit I've read.

I think, in the end, it is much much simpler than that. The Remain Campaign quite simply failed to effectively rebut the key lies and exaggerations of the Leave campaign: the £350m to the NHS and Turkish accession and a few others.

Sure, they were rebutted - in the media, on TV, and you could always check fullfact or dig deep enough on the BBC website if you wanted to. But they were claims mostly made in leaflets delivered to everyone's door, and no leaflet arrived to say otherwise. (Other than the bland Government thing early on I received three or four Leave leaflets and not a single one for Remain).

For people who read and rely on leaflets through the door (predominantly the old, poor, housebound, uneducated - that breakdown sound familiar?), they never were rebutted.

That's a massive campaigning failure.

Dascu

But why should they still get reduced fee degrees when we are not in the EU, how is that far to those who have to pay that from non-eu countries...

That is a question?

EU country students get more funding because their countries contribute and because the students then get good jobs and contribute to the EU economy.

You are instead advocating a more elitist education system which will favour rich non-EU students who will go back to their home continent. You are advocating a brain drain for the UK and EU economy.

As an aside, I come from working class and never would have been able to afford education abroad. I also never would've met my partner if it wasn't thanks to EU funding and subsidizing. You are actively in favour of making the lives of people less hopeful and more miserable.

Corto

I keep on hearing things from leave voters talking about the European parliament as being undemocratic. These people have absolutely no fucking clue about anything.

And some wonder why we're so angry. A lot of these people are either dumb as a rock or completely ignorant.

That's a narrative on other countries too. That the EU is a non democratic nest of bureaucrats and that the European Parliament is a sinecure position for second rate national politicians. Some of this is true, not the non-democratic claims though. Representative democracy is a democracy nonetheless and european ciitizens can directly elect European Parliament members that will represent them, and their democratically elected national government can indirectly represent them in the Council.

Fine that you don't care, but the political action you have now undertaken is in alignment with far-right nationalists. How do you reflect on that political action? Don't you see something amiss here?

As a leave supporter and what I would consider broadly a left winger, I honestly cannot stand those fuckers you mentioned. The same goes for that arsehole Boris, that Cunt Grove and that tosspot Nigel. However having said that the old phrase "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind.

I wouldn't say voting to leave a trading block like the EU is necessarily a "right wing" thing to do. It all comes down to the reasons why someone would vote to do such an action. I voted to leave because I believe it is in the best long term interests of the UK and the EU. With the UK out of the EU we can now both pursue our futures.

The fact those arseholes you mentioned agreed with me is neither here nor there. Sure they are agreeing with the action but the reasons I voted to leave are a world apart from the reasons they are cheering the leave vote on.

cilonen

This is exactly what must not happen and why the EU needs to act fast on this.

The fallout of the Brexit referendum is already borderline catastrophic. Jobs have been lost, businesses rethink their strategies, billions of $ of worth have been destroyed, markets around the globe are in turmoil, radical far-right parties in many countries have been emboldened and Europe - or even the whole global community - is politically less stable than last week.

I'm sorry that the UK voted to leave the EU. We are weaker without you but the process needs to be as swift as possible. The EU cannot allow itself to become a toy in the power plays of inept British politicians. Yes - No - Yes - No ... depending on what populist politician managed to fool the uneducated parts of the British people at a given point? Nope. This is literally serious business and the UK in its current form is obviously not fit for it.

No. The UK can't just keep blackmailing the EU to get increasingly favorable deals and exemptions from standards that everyone else agreed to.

Neither is the UK.

There's a kind of precedent with the Greece situation reversal though. Not saying it's all that similar, but there is a possibility of mechanisms to reverse this until article 50 is actually invoked. After that point, I agree with you, shit's fucked then.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think, in the end, it is much much simpler than that. The Remain Campaign quite simply failed to effectively rebut the key lies and exaggerations of the Leave campaign: the £350m to the NHS and Turkish accession and a few others.

Sure, they were rebutted - in the media, on TV, and you could always check fullfact or dig deep enough on the BBC website if you wanted to. But they were claims mostly made in leaflets delivered to everyone's door, and no leaflet arrived to say otherwise. (Other than the bland Government thing early on I received three or four Leave leaflets and not a single one for Remain).

For people who read and rely on leaflets through the door (predominantly the old, poor, housebound, uneducated - that breakdown sound familiar?), they never were rebutted.

What's most annoying about this is its almost exactly the same strategy as The Alternative Vote a few years earlier, where "We need this money spent on the NHS, not referendums" leaflets were the rallying cry, even though the fact they're already having the referendum meant that they'd already spent the cash, and once the vote failed, the money for the NHS was nowhere to be seen.

no-to-av-baby-campaign-005.jpg

Zaph

The universities stand to do very well. High global demand for them, we've also got more chance of keeping the non EU graduates they produce as well.

Perfectly reasonable

For international graduates - there are already bidding wars when it comes to attracting the best and brightest from in-demand subjects - especially with India and China desperate to repatriate their brain drain (these grads are the literal job creators). Yes, there are hoops for them to jump through, but that won't really change and instead Britain as a whole just became a lot less appealing to them.

Do Leavers even think about the fact there's nothing inherently attractive or special about Britain, and we need to fight and accommodate to grow, just like every other country?

Nobody is blackmailing anyone, its a negotiation to try change certain things / make things better. Just like any relationship, both sides have to give and take and the EU didn't want to help make things better for one of their partners.

Neither is the UK.

Never said it was to be honest, the UK government has been weak and has failed its people and lots of things needed to change for the better, and that's part of the reasons this has happened.

Tak3n

Banned

I will try to find it, but reading a story today they were saying that the remain campaign went out hard on the economy and wanted to force the leave campaign on to immigration so to show them as Nigel Farage is shown...

What the remain camp did not expect was that would resonate with the leave voters

Linkyn

It's not just that. Getting bogged down in the false claims basically put the Remain campaign in a position where they were indirectly advertising the opposing side's arguments to the general public

This is not how this works. This isn't a Chinese buffet.

I mean I should say I slightly overegged it in terms of suggesting I think it's a good idea to do - merely if there were to be a second referendum, that makes more sense than "not 60%!" to me, ala what happened in Greece. But yes - I can fully understand why from the EU's point of view it wouldn't be good.

Hasney

What's most annoying about this is its almost exactly the same strategy as The Alternative Vote a few years earlier, where "We need this money spent on the NHS, not referendums" leaflets were the rallying cry, even though the fact they're already having the referendum meant that they'd already spent the cash, and once the vote failed, the money for the NHS was nowhere to be seen.

no-to-av-baby-campaign-005.jpg

Hey, on the plus side, with Bori's magic EU figures, we can afford it now!

nOoblet16

The universities stand to do very well. High global demand for them, we've also got more chance of keeping the non EU graduates they produce as well.

Considering how UK treats non EU students (I am one myself), lulz.
You know how many months they gave me to find a job after I finished my degree? 4 months, not even long enough for a graduate internship, especially considering most start around the time your visa is about to finish. Plus you have to find a willing employer who can sponsor your visa, pay you above the average income...and once you get that you have to go back to your home country and apply for the visa there.

Thanks to Theresa May.

Fdkn

Nobody is blackmailing anyone, its a negotiation to try change certain things / make things better. Just like any relationship, both sides have to give and take and the EU didn't want to help make things better for one of their partners.

The UK already negotiated a deal, the best deal they could get. It was actually somewhat insulting for the rest of EU members, but they accepted it anyway.

The UK citizens now have decided that they don't want that deal and they prefer to leave. So... leave. The EU can't afford to keep the insecurity going for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom