• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

That is very true, free market religion forgetting the people is what drives this crisis, like it does many others.

But.

a) Doing that is up to the UK government.
b) The people just voted for the people who have absolutely no interest in doing anything you suggest.

Of course it is. It'd have been nice if the UK government or other mainstream politicians did that before it came to this, but they didn't, and now shouldn't be surprised that people with nothing to lose and no stake in the UK listened to a snakeoil salesman who promised a silver bullet fix to all their problems.

PJV3

I can't watch another dishonest politician brush off the lies like this.

The Tory party is rotten to the core.

El-Suave

It's actually a very serious and important thing over here. If there was an election tomorrow these are nominally the people who'd be running the country. Right now we have no effective government and the opposition has completely disintegrated! Not laughable at all.

Sure, if you're the opposition's best expert on foreign affairs, popular enough in your party to get nominated if they won, you'd be the favorite for the job of foreign secretary. That's fine, but it's still just a fantasy job at the moment. I get what they want to achieve by "resigning", they want to remove their party leader, but why don't they call for an emergency congress of the entire party where the members then could do a proper vote of no confidence in the guy?

I can't watch another dishonest politician brush off the lies like this.

The Tory party is rotten to the core.

I cannot wait till they go back on tv and say yeah we left the EU, but we still pay in money, still have free movement and access to the single market but no inluence, what a mess. Oh and the 350m sorry we made a mistake on our abacus.

So basically everything they voted against or even worse terms.
Yes the masses who voted for the first time ever feeling they made a difference get to experience the same bitter pill that "believing a bunch of crazy promises peddled by sleazy lunatics"* doesn't lead to what they wanted and can leave them worse off than they started.

*-I'm paraphrasing the Simpsons episode Trash of the Titans. It is sad how many parallels I see in the politics there and what happened.

Zaph

There has been enough fooling of people already. That's exactly what is not needed.
Not really sure what else we can do - it's now obvious half the country is incapable of doing their own research and instead will listen to anyone who "speaks their language" and tells them what they want to hear.

We're not a third world country, access to information is abundant (even in poor areas), ignorance is no excuse.

theaface

This is unnecessary.

Why? Because feelings? Days and days and days of drivel which gets knocked back with hard facts time and time again, then it's a quick change tack onto something else and repeat.

If this entire shitshow has taught us anything, it's a cautionary tale about how we shouldn't let people say whatever the hell they like without being accountable for it and owning it. If the press didn't handle Boris with kid gloves in interviews, maybe, just maybe, people might have realised BEFORE they voted that they were being sold a bunch of lies.

He's actually talking a lot of sense. This is like the early Blair talking.

The problem with Blair/Brown is that too many confuse the events surrounding Iraq and the US housing collapse (sub-prime mortgages) that triggered the global financial crash with the effectiveness of the Blair/Brown primer/chancellor-ships.

The truth is, on the home front, they were the best we've had for decades. They invested in the nation, drove down the deficit, and promoted our place in Europe and on the world stage. People like to forget that before the global crash Brown, the prudent chancellor, actually eliminated the deficit and we were actually repaying our debts and had money to spend on NHS and Schools, etc.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I cannot wait till they go back on tv and say yeah we left the EU, but we still pay in money, still have free movement and access to the single market but no inluence, what a mess. Oh and the 350m sorry we made a mistake on our abacus.

Do we still get EU funding under this model ?

Cameron has truly fucked Boris, I hope if there's no election, May gets the PM, he deserves nothing. If we get an early election, if we can't get a labour majority, then possibly a coalition between Lab/Con.

AHA-Lambda

Petitioning for another referendum is embarrassing. What are they playing at?

Trying to fix the country?

The problem with Blair/Brown is that too many confuse the events surrounding Iraq and the US housing collapse (sub-prime mortgages) that triggered the global financial crash with the effectiveness of the Blair/Brown primer/chancellor-ships.

The truth is, on the home front, they were the best we've had for decades. They invested in the nation, drove down the deficit, and promoted our place in Europe and on the world stage. People like to forget that before the global crash Brown, the prudent chancellor, actually eliminated the deficit and we were actually repaying our debts and had money to spend on NHS and Schools, etc.

Yeah Brown was treated really unfairly as PM, he was actually pretty damn good, but we wanted him out anyway :/

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Not really sure what else we can do - it's now obvious half the country is incapable of doing their own research and instead will listen to anyone who "speaks their language" and tells them what they want to hear.

We're not a third world country, access to information is abundant (even in poor areas), ignorance is no excuse.

Actually it is. As I've posted earlier I have found a lot of people just did not have access to reliable information at all.

oti

Banned
Why? Because feelings? Days and days and days of drivel which gets knocked back with hard facts time and time again, then it's a quick change tack onto something else and repeat.

If this entire shitshow has taught us anything, it's a cautionary tale about how we shouldn't let people say whatever the hell they like without being accountable for it and owning it. If the press didn't handle Boris with kid gloves in interviews, maybe, just maybe, people might have realised BEFORE they voted that they were being sold a bunch of lies.

I know man, I know. But at this stage pointing fingers doesn't help anyone.

Fritz

The biggest irony in all this is 20 years from now we will be well into the automation fuelled job apocalypse where pretty much around the world unskilled labour will be replaced by machines, a revolution that the UK (or rather England and Wales) have guaranteed they will neither be a beneficiary of nor insulated against. This is because they have effectively killed university research into sciences without direct and immediate commerical application. The reason they are not insulated from multinationals wholesale replacing labour with automation is because they will not be part of union that has commerical and regulatory sway.

England and Wales future on the world stage is just a punchline to be joked about. I haven't even got into how little they will matter to an emergent West africa and a further established india and china. Best of luck to them.

Same for everyone in Europe including Germany. None of us should hope to face the future alone. The EU is also about leaving an imprint of European values on global politics and developments with what we believe should be the future of this planet. It's futile to believe China, India, Russia or even the US would give a serious flying fuck about an isolated European country when deciding on the fortune of this world.

That the UK, of all countries the UK with their claim to relevance, has willingly opted out of this is tragic.

Honey Bunny

This bit is fun. The petition was apparently set up before the referendum by a Leave campaigner who was expecting to lose, so it is not "they" playing at things, it is both sides.

Indeed.
https://twitter.com/david_cameron/status/732562392131997697
David CameronVerified account
‏@David_Cameron
The Leave campaign is wrong to say there'll be a 2nd referendum if we vote to remain in the EU. This is a referendum and not a neverendum.
This effort to reverse the result would have happened no matter who won.

Ashes

Banned
My co-worker's partner is a builder who has to compete with Eastern Europeans that are able to severely undercut his prices. By having several people share rent and expenses, they are able to earn money and send it off home to their families who need it most.

This is perfectly understandable and she -- the daughter of Irish immigrants -- accepts that she'd do the same if the roles were reversed, but having just had a baby with her partner, it has impacted how much income they get as a family themselves. She works weekends just to earn a bit more to support her child and partner so it's already impacting her quality of life.

They don't hold grudges against East Europeans - by all accounts, they are just as good as anybody at construction. But it begs the question as to how long families such as hers have to support other families in Poland/Romania by forfeiting work. On that basis, she voted Leave.

Construction industry wages went up last year though. I believe painter decorators and plumbing might have been affected, but not builders in general.

The same forces that have meant cheaper broadband prices and food price cuts is what drove this - competition. And those same forces mean they won in other ways. Also, impact on migration wages is actually demonstrably low as a whole to the country.

And I know it sounds reasonable to blame outside forces, but effectively what happened is the same as the what has been happening the last half decade - blame the poor.

it is exactly what it look like 4 days ago, but in reverse...you are now feeling what the leave voters have been feeling for 20 years

The leave voters? What are they? The poor and downtrodden? I was unemployed for years, with my family being poor as dirt. I attempt to pull myself out of it and now it gets torpedoed by pridefully ignorant tossers.

I'm glad Cameron and others bailed. You want your independence then you people can sort it out yourself.

The biggest irony in all this is 20 years from now we will be well into the automation fuelled job apocalypse where pretty much around the world unskilled labour will be replaced by machines, a revolution that the UK (or rather England and Wales) have guaranteed they will neither be a beneficiary of nor insulated against. This is because they have effectively killed university research into sciences without direct and immediate commerical application. The reason they are not insulated from multinationals wholesale replacing labour with automation is because they will not be part of union that has commerical and regulatory sway.

England and Wales future on the world stage is just a punchline to be joked about. I haven't even got into how little they will matter to an emergent West africa and a further established india and china. Best of luck to them.

Was there another machines are stealing our jobs documentary on BBC or what is that nonsense?

Go_Ly_Dow

Cameron has truly fucked Boris, I hope if there's no election, May gets the PM, he deserves nothing. If we get an early election, if we can't get a labour majority, then possibly a coalition between Lab/Con.

I would prefer May, Osborne or Gove as PM over Boris.

Boris has lulled the public in to thinking he's a kind hearted man who is in touch with them. With the others you only need to blink once before you see how venomous they are.

I think any Labour leader would look like a decent alternative versus them.

Then they're fucking odious dumb people. There isn't going to be any forgiveness here.

Even now I'm having to battle people on twitter who keep on saying to me: Who did you choose for President of the EU?

As if they ever chose the PM of the country. These people keep on spouting off about how undemocratic it all us when they CHOSE Nigel Farage to represent them in a democratic EU parliament AND they have no actual clue as to how their own system of government works.

I cannot abide their stupidity and will never let it go.

Just ask them who they chose to be their Head of State.

Hasney

100% agree, although you did forget the Iraq war lies part of it. Even factoring that in (and coming out the end of it, I fucking despised him), I think the years under Blair were the best I've seen in my lifetime politically (i'm 31, for reference).

avaya

Actually it is. As I've posted earlier I have found a lot of people just did not have access to reliable information at all.

I blame this squarely on Remain. They had the ability to do this but the hubris around being sure they would win meant they did not press their corporate supporters for money. When they did the large donations started to come but it was all too late. Virgin Media donated 700k to the campaign just a week before the referendum. If they had asked before they would have gotten that money.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
The article is kind of confusing. I think it says that Germany as an entity itself, not as part of the EU, wants to seek a special trade agreement with the UK. That would go against everything the EU represents of course but this article is pretty meaningless.

However, Germany will definitely lobby for some kind of exception since it's the UK after all. This could mean a change of thinking within the EU, rather than its demise as the other poster suggests. We'll see.

That article means nothing. I would say it is only collection of three statements to calm down markets. The best deal for automotive industry lobby in EU (Germany, France, Czech Rep., Slovakia) is to get Norway model - you can easily export all cars without any papers, without any duties. But Norway model is, of course, not something Leave voted for.

Crumpo

Given we've gone down the road of direct democracy we were not given a leave plan to vote on (the Remain "offer" was clear). I think we have a right to a referendum on accepting a proposed leave "offer" before invoking art. 50.

If we don't have a deal that will suit the majority of the country (leave and remain voters) we should not leave the EU.

I think leave voters would not be happy with us leaving the EU and keeping free movement of persons (in exchange for access to single market) and all sorts of red-line concessions.

What do the leave voters on GAF think about this?

Of course it is. It'd have been nice if the UK government or other mainstream politicians did that before it came to this, but they didn't, and now shouldn't be surprised that people with nothing to lose and no stake in the UK listened to a snakeoil salesman who promised a silver bullet fix to all their problems.

And now we fold back to the solution part: pandering to said snake oil fantasy is not any kind of solution. Leave voters need to, and will, soon realise that they made an ignorant mistake of historic proportions.

DiGiKerot

Given we've gone down the road of direct democracy we were not given a leave plan to vote on (the Remain "offer" was clear). I think we have a right to a referendum on accepting a proposed leave "offer" before invoking art. 50.

If we don't have a deal that will suit the majority of the country (leave and remain voters) we should not leave the EU.

I think leave voters would not be happy with us leaving the EU and keeping free movement of persons (in exchange for access to single market) and all sorts of red-line concessions.

That Brussels will not put an offer on the table before Article 50 is even invoked. Article 50 is the start-line for negotiations, not the end point.

Chinner

Banned
No we get nothing. Just as well i bought a lifetimes supply of popcorn, the fallout over this is going to be legendary.
There is no point going for this model. IMMIGRATION is the main concern, and if the voters discover we're still accepting immigrants without the benefits of being in the EU then I could see further resentment and trouble from the Leave voters towards everybody else.

We have to do a full bail out. These people will not be happy unless immigration is in the tens of thousands. Nothing else matters, are all of our problems will be fixed by fixing this one issue.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Do you think all 27 members will agree that the UK get exactly the same deal as Norway? There is a real change of sentiment among European countries, particularly eastern European ones after this.
I assume the UK will go in to this hoping to at least keep freedom of labour and not explicitly movement in general, but then why would other nations not withdraw and do the same?
This is of course assuming immigration is as big an issue in those countries.

cormack12

Gold Member
Nicola Sturgeon is fucking excellent. Single-handedly makes the entire government look hapless. So we're about here right:

wW4dJk1.png

liquidtmd

Banned

I'm Remain and it won't make any difference but I agree.

Surely it's logical to offer Leavers a chance to say 'Look, the only option open to Leave is this on these terms, which may contradict previous reasoning. Do you accept this agreement or would you want to remain in light of it'

Would never fly but it should.

Zaph

it is exactly what it look like 4 days ago, but in reverse...you are now feeling what the leave voters have been feeling for 20 years
Nah.

In those 20 years I grew up as a poor minority in one of the most deprived areas in the country, and took myself out of it.

If a bunch of white people couldn't make something of themselves in the same time, then the EU is the last thing on their list of problems.

Also, 20 years? Give me a break, we've all seen the polling data on what the real issue was.
...they say while Whatsapping each other from their smartphones. Even the poorest people have access to the Internet in this country. And 50% of voters aren't on the poverty line.

There is no point going for this model. IMMIGRATION is the main concern, and if the voters discover we're still accepting the, without the benefits of being in the EU then I could see further resentment and trouble from the Leave voters towards everybody else.

We have to do a full bail out. These people will not be happy unroll immigration is in the tens of thousands. Nothing else matters, are all of our problems will be fixed by fixing this one issue.

yep but not accessing the free markets risks destroying UK economy in one swoop as other trade deals will be years away so how can we trade at all, we might be stuck out in the cold for many years, maybe thats what we need a realignment and realisation we arent the centre of the world.

kmag

The reality is that the modern British economy and similarly for those in the West, the bidding down of low-skilled jobs will continue forever because of labour competition, something you can not restrict. The end game for this is obviously automation. It is pissing into the wind to suggest otherwise.

The harsh reality is that people want cheaper products and services, the only way to save the working class is to force them up the ladder through better education so we take the next level of high-tech manufacturing jobs and services. For that you need a government who will spend money. This has nothing to do with the EU.

What this vote has done, especially amongst the Labour party, is create a big divide between middle class Labour voters and the working class. It's not just English nationalism, look at Leicester it voted to Leave, that shows a ridiculously high percentage of non-white voters swung that way too. They did so because they think they can restrict labour competition. They can't. This is the fantasy that was sold to them and they will cling to it because they believe they can achieve it.
Send the buggering robots back to Cybertron I say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom