• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
The political classes are imploding. Usually I would be open to this, however it's happening because everybody knows leaving the EU is poison to our country.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's already a book out about this mess.

51JJ62VuvXL.jpg

When Alex learns that Britain has decided to leave the European Union, he’s shocked by just hold normal everything seems. But the calm doesn’t last as Alex is suddenly accosted by a giant living coin from the not so distant future.

In this horrific future where Britain has left the EU, four story busses lie strewn about the streets of London after a failed plan to cut costs, the Queen’s Guard have been replaced by flying reptiles with machine guns and the River Thames runs red with molten lava.

Now Alex and his handsome sentient pound must travel back to the past and sway the vote for European solidarity, by proving that all you need is love.

Jisgsaw

The central bank like any central bank has money to use in case, and it wasn't used. They do the same thing when there is any shock. It's their remit.
And before shedding tears for bankers in London how about waiting to see exactly who gets relocated fired or whatever?

Yes, sure. Which is why the UK shouldn't wait too long to start the Art. 50, as a lot of that depends on if the UK can keep financial passports.

But you literally said "I don't care about bankers", not "W&S which bankers leave". The second one is a reasonable position, the first one is wistfully ignorant.

Madchad

But as has been established here, those 39% should just shut up and accept the decision.

So the rest of the UK should accept Scotland does not want to leave and stay due to that ?
She is basically flipping the argument about Scotland being taken out against its will and holding the rest of the UK hostage, a smart move for a politician to make whos sole purpose is Scotlands independence, the rest of the UK wont need a referendum then they will just kick Scotland out.

Should Scotland have a new vote after the UK voted and Scotland decided it wants to remain IN ? sure. Do not hold the UK hostage though.

Xando

If scotland actually declares independance they'd definitely stay (or get back) into the EU.

There is already talk in german media to fast track scotland into the EU if they can't actually stay in (which no one appears to know if it's possible at the moment).

10/10, perfect gif for the current situation.

nOoblet16

Good. It'll likely be use as a bargaining chip for indyref2, so it'll work out for Scotland.
Why use it as a bargaining chip for something that requires voting and more importantly still keeps their EU status uncertain, when they can veto that shit and stay in the EU?

Hasney

Why use it as a bargaining chip for something that requires voting and more importantly still keeps their EU status uncertain, when they can veto that shit and stay in the EU?

That depends on how the talks between Scotland and the EU go. It won't happen for a little while yet so they can either totally veto if they might not get in, or have a referendum if they will.

So your shtick of 'fuck the parasites' is more realistic than 'oh shit all that tax money'?

Hang on, I thought gaf hated bankers? I'm confused.

Maybe now we can knock up some bilateral trade agreements with the likes of India and Australia etc that have been put on ice by the EU because 1 member doesn't like them.

A lot of value wiped off the top 250 companies in the UK because of voting to leave the UK. When you picture that is also in £'s, the result is actually worse with the value taken off the currency.

I heard one figure that the BoE spent 250b propping up the currency.
Anyone got any validation or denial of this?

norinrad

If scotland actually declares independance they'd definitely stay (or get back) into the EU.

There is already talk in german media to fast track scotland into the EU if they can't actually stay in (which no one appears to know if it's possible at the moment).

Its all just talk though. What people are forgetting is the US might also have a say behind the scenes as they historically do not trust mainland Europe. To the US ultimately the UK is their only true alley in Europe. There's going to a lot of forces at play when things eventually begin to move.

Xando

Perfect

http://whatdoesborisowe.co.uk/

Its all just talk though. What people are forgetting is the US might also have a say behind the scenes as they historically do not trust mainland Europe. To the US ultimately the UK is their only true alley in Europe. There's going to a lot of forces at play when things eventually begin to move.

The US has no good option in this. They needed to keep the UK in the EU to keep their influence.
With the decision of leaving the EU the UK made itself irrelevant in EU decisions and the US will have to turn to Germany or France

You do realize that a huge part of the UK funds comes from taxes on the banks and bankers?
And the only reason the market somewhat recovered is because the british central bank issued 250 BILLIONS pounds to avoid a complete crash?

No money has been issued, it has been made available. No signs of the crash it has been made available for though, so there's that.

Seems to me that blocking the way for article 50 would also block the way for Scottish independence, since quite a few countries in the EU would take a dim view to messing up the situation even more.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Because the SNP primary objective is independence. And after the past 10 years, they have a right to secede because Scotland is not politically inline with England. And voting in England affects Scotland unfairly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the rest of the UK should accept Scotland does not want to leave and stay due to that ?
She is basically flipping the argument about Scotland being taken out against its will and holing the rest of the UK hostage, a smart move for a politician to make whos sole purpose is Scotlands independence, the rest of the UK wont need a referendum then they will just kick Scotland out.

Should Scotland have a new vote after the UK voted and Scotland decided it wants to remain IN ? sure. Do not hold the UK hostage though.
It looks like she could trade the veto for another vote on Scottish independence, and then make the next referendum all about staying in the EU. So I guess she's really in the best position at the moment.

can't be true, 250B £? that's huge
Yes, this was what Carney announced shortly after Cameron took his ball and went home.

Maztorre

The central bank like any central bank has money to use in case, and it wasn't used. They do the same thing when there is any shock. It's their remit.
And before shedding tears for bankers in London how about waiting to see exactly who gets relocated fired or whatever? I imagine the richest section of the financial services section is very concerned about their wealth and careers as they are not immune BUt I won't waste one cell thinking about them. You guys seem to have that covered.

It seems to be a thing to scrape up absolutely every impact one can possibly think of, and predict a bunch more, and make each one into a Greek tragedy because it suits the narrative. Fine, do that if it helps.
I am more interested in realities.

The reality is that Leave can't deliver the bullshit it ran on because it will destroy the UK.

I think the UK will get cold feet as time passes. It'll be a fight, but at the end that 17 million in favor will dwindle considerably on a re-vote.

Maledict

Hang on, I thought gaf hated bankers? I'm confused.

Maybe now we can knock up some bilateral trade agreements with the likes of India and Australia etc that have been put on ice by the EU because 1 member doesn't like them.

We trade more with lichenstein that we do India. India is a country still dominated by protectionism, to the point where even Apple can't sell there because their products are 'unique' enough. There's not some miracle massive market just waiting to be tapped in Inida right now, or anytime soon.

As for Australia - it's a country with less than half our population, on the other side of the world, whose main exports we don't need and whose main imports we can't provide. It's not exactly a replacement for the single market here...

Our best alternative for trade is America, but we just left the EU who are much further along with new trade agreements and there's no way we will get one done before the EU.

El Topo

I think the UK will get cold feet as time passes. It'll be a fight, but at the end that 17 million in favor will dwindle considerably on a re-vote.

That's not happening. The idea that official representatives would ignore the decision of the people is preposterous.

Kathian

Banned
Diane Abbot is useless. Her answer on the resignations is to wait to the end of the day and see where we are.

Also who would even be Shadow Scot Off?

Facism

massive uptick in racist gaze and "BU BU IMMUHGRUNTS" shit where i am. Told to my face by an old bloke that mortgage prices will fall when we stop all the immigrants coming into the country and claiming free housing from the government.

mjlol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom