• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I don't give a crap about them and their pennies dropped from above its a shit way to live to cow tow to those guys and feather their nests hoping for a coin at the end of the day.
I am actually surprised anyone here is worried about their future. It is after all a defining character of young socially progressive people to be deeply distrustful of making that lot any more comfortable than they already are. They are still the vampire squid sucking the life out of whatever they can get their suckers around, I worked with them for a decade and I know them better than most. Individually you can find good and bad but the ones with the most ambition and drive walked straight of American Psycho and the GFC did little to change it. If the city of London dies without them and corrupt Russians and money from the gulf states then it was built on a foundation of crap.

How could anyone not be worried for their future when some of us have seen more friends lose their job or be moved out of the country in a single day more than any other day? While people in universities lose funding for certain things like studying abroad that they had been working towards because the funding is pulled?

Baybars

Banned
I really hope this isn't the case as it's tearing her apart, it rarely used to happen but all of a sudden it's gone crazy.
I'm hoping that it calms down but what's been said and done cannot be undone so as far as we are concerned we are leaving the uk as soon as possible.

I have already made plans to leave anyway. Wouldnt want my future kids to go through a torrent of acceptable racism. When school children are being abused out in the open, the game is up

Yup i've seen this to. Also some retaliation, with a polish families house having an english flag with a picture of a man blindfolded on it. Although that could be due to Euro 2016, not sure.

The result has made these people further justify their beliefs and given them confidence to speak. They incorrectly believe that since a majority of the country has voted to leave, we want all immigrants out. That's the dumb thing here - I bet a ton of people voted based on the completely unfounded expectations that they were voting to ban immigrants. Yes, people are that stupid.

I still think Scotland could find Spain to be a hurdle in joining the EU. Due to the sensitivity of Catalonia's status, allowing Scotland to join would give a boost and more legitimacy to the Catalan independence movement.

That said, in discussions with Spain they could argue that Brexit is a sufficiently different scenario to the Catalan situation. Perhaps they could strike a deal and get some kind of official statement that they wouldn't block it.

It's completely different.

jelly

SNP can veto the EU exit, really. Do it!

I guess that wouldn't mean independence and absolute rage from down South outside of London.

Interesting option.

avaya

I still think Scotland could find Spain to be a hurdle in joining the EU. Due to the sensitivity of Catalonia's status, allowing Scotland to join would give a boost and more legitimacy to the Catalan independence movement.

That said, in discussions with Spain they could argue that Brexit is a sufficiently different scenario to the Catalan situation. Perhaps they could strike a deal and get some kind of official statement that they wouldn't block it.

Scotland would agree to block Catalan independence. It's not a insurmountable hurdle at all.

cormack12

Gold Member
Out of curiosity, are you also seeing people step in to defend her? I know that doesn't stop the pain or correct the wrong, but if I saw someone hurling racist abuse like that in the supermarket I would definitely have something to say about it. Hoping it's not just me that feels that way...

Yeah I feel the same. (Un)luckily I live in an area which is predominantly white seniors, and white working class, single parent families. So the likelihood of me seeing this is slim, however, I'm in the same boat listening to some of the stories going round. The worrying thing is that it seems to be older people (50+) with this mindset and I honestly don't know if I could control my temper. A single punch could be devastating to someone in this age group, so I'm kind of glad I'm not seeing any of it.

Alx

France and Netherlands had to make a second referendum regarding the EU constitution, since the first was negative

I don't know about Netherlands, but France didn't. There was only one referendum, it was "no" and the EU constitution project was cancelled soon after.

oti

Banned
QgYMcPG.png

and that's before taking into account the effect before brexit and the fact that we haven't even started the leaving process.

holy

2MF

https://twitter.com/aishagani/status/747004756799950848

Aisha S Gani
‏@aishagani

On Friday my niece was on a field trip. A man shouted at school girls: "So is this a **** Islam fishing group?! Where's the white people?

This is what the leavers unleashed. Not even kids are safe

I'm an EU immigrant living in London. My fiancée is Asian.

If/when something like that happens to either of us we might start planning our own Brexit.

Scotland is a country within an union. That's like comparing apples and oranges. Neither is Catalonia a country nor is Spain an union - the various new Balkan states are more related to Spain's situation and it wasn't a deal breaker for anything.

Ashes

Banned
The first jobs to go in financial services will not be the bankers you hear of with the ridiculous bonuses. They will be middle and back office jobs, the support staff, they are the vast majority of jobs. These are working to middle class people.

But I guess you have no sympathy with those people. I guess it shouldn't matter if the UK now risks up to £100bn in tax revenue from the sector (50% of NHS budget).

My own opinion is that the banks as a whole won't move for a while yet - and probably won't move wholesale anyway - too much happens in London. You can't for example easily replicate London's insurance market. The whole world is here. And sorry to use this but London really is 'too big to fail'. You have the media intelligence firms here, the lawyers, accountants. Lots of things make London work better than

What will go probably, and again, this is merely my own opinion, is what we are already seeing, clearing euro currency etc.

The funny thing is bank bonuses will be hit or not hit - nobody knows. CEOS wages still go up even if they do absolutely terrible jobs. So...

If people were angry enough about a lack of control and representation to vote against a distant elite, how angry are they going to be when immigration doesn't change, cuts continue and even worsen, and FPTP et al still ignores them?

'Take back control' is not a controllable sentiment.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

The United Kingdom is a Union though. A union that allows its member nations to leave if they wish. Scotland is already regarded as a nation on equal footing as England. Scotland isn't considered a region of the UK internationally, it is considered a country already.

And yep, Spain can have an arrangement that Scotland agrees to veto any Catalonian recognition.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I guess that wouldn't mean independence and absolute rage from down South outside of London.

Interesting option.

Might be the best option. English MSM can rage about "Bloody Scotland" and Boris can do "Sorry guys, I tried. Now Scotland can veto it, its pointless trying again" while secretly thanking his lucky stars.

avaya

My own opinion is that the banks as a whole won't move for a while yet - and probably won't move wholesale anyway - too much happens in London. You can't for example easily replicate London's insurance market. The whole world is here. And sorry to use this but London really is 'too big to fail'. You have the media intelligence firms here, the lawyers, accountants. Lots of things make London work better than

What will go probably, and again, this is merely my own opinion, is what we are already seeing, clearing euro currency etc.

The funny thing is bank bonuses will be hit or not hit - nobody knows. CEOS wages still go up even if they do absolutely terrible jobs. So...

They wont' move if they get access to the single market. If they don't, London really is not too big to fail because the domino's already start falling.

liquidtmd

Banned

Interesting option.

Sturgeon would go to my all time favourite person if she pushed this but frankly, she wants out of the UK and doubt she gives a fuck.

Can only see her doing this if the EU flat out tell her no separate deal early on but even then I suspect she wouldnt as it doesn't really present her with any advantages (unless major Westminster figures beg her behind the scenes of a way to do it whilst saving face, at the price of caving to whatever she wants...which alas is primarily just independence)

KonradLaw

But a lot of people are expecting this to happen though. Don't forget that they 'want their country back.' What do you think is going to happen when this does not transpire?

Yeah.
d38b0b7092ac1fbc2f0a2cd7434a11626cbc939a.jpg

Police are investigating after signs reading 'Leave the EU - No more Polish vermin' were posted through doors in shocking post-referendum racism. Laminated cards were reportedly delivered to members of the Polish community in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. They were also found on the road near St Peter's School at around 8.30am on Friday, with a translation on the back reading 'go home Polish scum.

Teachers reportedly threw away the cards, but more were left on the path leading to the school by the end of the day.

Ashes

Banned
Isn't this only because the pound collapsed too? Here it is in dollars.

Z3nRNmj.jpg

I think the FTSE 250, with less of its value affected by the UK based multinationals, would look even worse. Those multinationals haven't lost their value as much because they can and will happily leave.

That's my understanding.

Multi-nationals are weathered by their presence in other regions. GSK for example rose, due to this idea that they will be buffered by other regions.

Walshicus

Scotland would agree to block Catalan independence. It's not a insurmountable hurdle at all.

I think we're vastly misreading the Spanish government here. There'll be a lot of support across Europe in fast-tracking Scotland in, or even treating it as the successor state as far as the EU goes.

If people were angry enough about a lack of control and representation to vote against a distant elite, how angry are they going to be when immigration doesn't change, cuts continue and even worsen, and FPTP et al still ignores them?

'Take back control' is not a controllable sentiment.

Either plug their ears and keep claiming they "got their country back" or move on to blame someone else. Maybe some leave voters will even take responsibility for their vote and realise they fucked up.

kmag

I think we're vastly misreading the Spanish government here. There'll be a lot of support across Europe in fast-tracking Scotland in, or even treating it as the successor state as far as the EU goes.
Scotland would offer the majority of the fisheries access and it's not like Spain has a small fishing fleet

avaya

Multi-nationals are weathered by their presence in other regions. GSK for example rose, due to this idea that they will be buffered by other regions.

GSK rose because sterling being lower means EPS upgrades on FX translation back.

Same reason for Vodafone being flat, ARM up 6% etc.

The reality is the long only institutions have yet to touch their positions, this was all hedge funds on Friday. The big positions will start to roll off in the next few weeks because these people will be working with the sell-side to understand the ramifications by sector.

jelly

Might be the best option. English MSM can rage about "Bloody Scotland" and Boris can do "Sorry guys, I tried. Now Scotland can veto it, its pointless trying again" while secretly thanking his lucky stars.

Sturgeon would go to my all time favourite person if she pushed this but frankly, she wants out of the UK and doubt she gives a fuck.

Can only see her doing this if the EU flat out tell her no separate deal early on but even then I suspect he wouldnt as it doesn't really present her with any advantages (unless major Westminster figures beg her behind the scenes of a way to do it whilst saving face, at the price of caving to whatever she wants...which alas is primarily just independence)

Glorious.

What a great out and Sturgeon could get a good deal for Scotland for the favour and even a chance at another referendum guaranteed. Everybody wins.

jem0208

I dont have a issue with that, if you want to come here to study it is not unreasonable that you pay more for that privilege, just like non eu students...

Perfectly reasonable
You're happy that some people are going to have to pay more to get into Uni?

What logic do you have backing up that idea?

You do realize that a huge part of the UK funds comes from taxes on the banks and bankers?
And the only reason the market somewhat recovered is because the british central bank issued 250 BILLIONS pounds to avoid a complete crash?

The central bank like any central bank has money to use in case, and it wasn't used. They do the same thing when there is any shock. It's their remit.
And before shedding tears for bankers in London how about waiting to see exactly who gets relocated fired or whatever? I imagine the richest section of the financial services section is very concerned about their wealth and careers as they are not immune BUt I won't waste one cell thinking about them. You guys seem to have that covered.

It seems to be a thing to scrape up absolutely every impact one can possibly think of, and predict a bunch more, and make each one into a Greek tragedy because it suits the narrative. Fine, do that if it helps.
I am more interested in realities.

liquidtmd

Banned
Glorious.

What a great out and Sturgeon could get a good deal for Scotland for the favour and even a chance at another referendum guaranteed. Everybody wins.

She needs to at least consider it - she could hold an insane amount of political favour and leverage within Westminster if she did.

vicearseV

Anyone that want to discuss anti-intellectualism? That's arguably the underlying factor of this brexit mess. It's people quoting graphs to justify choices they made when reality, on which decision should be made, is much more complex than a google search. That's why we study, that's why experts exist and that's why representative democracy is based on trust. Clearly such a relationship between people and their representatives is being lost. But that's not the most worrying aspect: another fundamental link seems to become more and more fragile, the one between people and experts, people and scientists. It's a worldwide phenomenon, arguably most prominent in USA and UK. I mean, politicians are expected to lie, it's part of their jobs, but experts in all fields? The spreading of phenomena like conspiracy theories, alternative medicine, anti vaxers, is what worries me the most. There is clearly a tendency to downplay the value of competence in all field, including foreign relations, in this case. Foreign relations, the socio-economical matters discussed here are complex and delicate and people should not be expected to take decisions based on their superficial knowledge. Politics is not a graph posted on Facebook.
Trust is the issue, devaluation of expertise is the issue. Don't call me antidemocratic, as these are the foundations of representative democracy, the only kind of democracy that can exist at the moment. Any other thing is not going to end well , because 'direct democracy' implies listening to fears, emotions, and feelings that are easily exploited by populist leaders to get what they want. That's what's happening: people are refusing to recognize intellectual authority to gain a deceptive sense of self-determination and freedom, only to become more vulnerable to the misguidance of exploitative leaders. It's the illusion of freedom, the illusion of democracy and historically is what brought us fascism and dictators. That's not the victory of democracy, it's the victory of fear.

The central bank like any central bank has money to use in case, and it wasn't used. They do the same thing when there is any shock. It's their remit.
And before shedding tears for bankers in London how about waiting to see exactly who gets relocated fired or whatever? I imagine the richest section of the financial services section is very concerned about their wealth and careers as they are not immune BUt I won't waste one cell thinking about them. You guys seem to have that covered.

It seems to be a thing to scrape up absolutely every impact one can possibly think of, and predict a bunch more, and make each one into a Greek tragedy because it suits the narrative. Fine, do that if it helps.
I am more interested in realities.

So your shtick of 'fuck the parasites' is more realistic than 'oh shit all that tax money'?

I think Brexit forces a different scenerio and Span would likely accept that. However, I also think there will be a push for an independent Scotland post Brexit first and that new country would have to apply for membership in it's own right and go through the exact same process as Turkey et al.

I don't think it's all going to go the SNP's way. They're not going to leave the UK and remain in the EU in one seamless move.

deefol

I don't give a crap about them and their pennies dropped from above its a shit way to live to cow tow to those guys and feather their nests hoping for a coin at the end of the day.
I am actually surprised anyone here is worried about their future. It is after all a defining character of young socially progressive people to be deeply distrustful of making that lot any more comfortable than they already are. They are still the vampire squid sucking the life out of whatever they can get their suckers around, I worked with them for a decade and I know them better than most. Individually you can find good and bad but the ones with the most ambition and drive walked straight of American Psycho and the GFC did little to change it. If the city of London dies without them and corrupt Russians and money from the gulf states then it was built on a foundation of crap.

surejan.w529.h352.jpg

Hasney

Given Sturgeon already seems to be talking to EU leaders there must be some basis in these claims surely??

Well the documents linked to before said that Scotland has to ratify Article 50 before it is invoked, so they're allowed to do this. It's likely that instead of just vetoing, they threaten it and use it as a bargaining chip to get an indyref.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom