• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

So only border control and "democracy" because I sure as shit didn't hear anyone talking about trade barriers in the few weeks.

That's a grasp at straws and I think you know it.

No it absolutely isn't. I have argued long and hard in the previous thread about the democratic shortcomings of the EU being my biggest issue. You might not agree, and that's fine. I can (unlike a lot of people here, seemingly) accept that people might have an alternative point of view...but to accuse me of not being bona fide in my beliefs and handwaving any perspective I or any other person (17 million people) people might have which would prefer to leave the EU to racism, stupidity, simple-mindedness or anything else is frankly insulting. Especially when no one has actually managed to come up with good reasons as to why my arguments do not hold water. I am more than happy to debate it with anyone...although it's sometimes hard to reply to everyone while being dogpiled.

FZZ

Banned
In the short term? Not much. The market will suffer from a shock, there might be some turbulence in the financial market but it will recover sooner or later as it takes Britain 2 years from now to finish the divorce.

In the long term, we do not know. The (sad) thing is, despite Brexit side's ambitious claim no one has actually left EU so far and there is no plan at all on how the divorce would proceed. We do not know what would happen to current EU immigrants in UK, how many businesses would move out, whether a trade deal would be made between UK and EU, UK and US, UK and China, etc. and most of all whether other EU countries would follow the steps of UK. If the politicians play the cards right, it would be a peaceful (more or less, of course) divorce; otherwise we would see a medium-scale economic crisis all over again, just like what happened in 2008.

In conclusion, keep your fingers crossed and prepare for the worst.

Nobody knows yet. Things may end up being very bad but nobody knows quite yet how European and US stock markets are gonna react. We will see soon.

Thank you both.

Well the market is going to open very soon, here we go

SaviourMK2

Considering the age difference between voters who chose to remain and those who chose to leave, it's sad to see Baby Boomers continue to screw the younger generations more and more.

Mr. Sam

I think I, and other Corbyn voters, now have a very well illustrated example of "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

The famed stiff upper lip seems to be in short supply in this thread. Whichever way anyone voted, the situation is what it is. Best to get on with it and attack the future with vigor, rather than crying that the sky is falling.

Yeah, people are really sore about this. Totally agreed also, time to move on and get on with things.

MUnited83

For you.
Really?

So instead of thinking that people could have come up with some logical and valid reasons to vote leave and to try and understand them you choose to remain ignorant and go with this? Do you really think that 17 million people voted leave for those reasons? And that all those who voted leave are xenophobic and racist? 17 million people?

Whatever makes you comfortable I guess but there is great irony in posts like this.
Wait do you really believe that there isn't a huge portion of racists in the population? As if 17 million of racists in the UK is somehow impossible.
Yes, the majority of leave voters are racists motivated by racist propaganda. You arguing that a significant portion aren't is like trying to argue the same about trump voters.
This one image... Is that all you guys have got?

But I guess you guys can keep posting it until you are blue in the face while the rest of the country is getting on with things and trying to sort our future out for the better.

This is one time when the country really needs to unite and work together in order to prevent us from falling into a hole. Based on this thread I'm not hopeful since some of you are deciding to use the same tactics as the campaign you went against.

"unite and work together" you say? That does sound like a fine motto that people should strive for.

The economic ramifications of this are going to be felt across countries and continents alike. Countless of people's livelihoods, both inside and outside of the UK, are going to be negatively impacted by this. All because of ill-informed"take our country back!!!1!!" propaganda.

Sarek

Sad to see our British brothers and sisters abandon the EU project. As Finn I've definitely always felt like your view of the world was very similar to ours. Hopefully I will witness you guys joining the EU again during my lifetime. Either way London will still be my favorite city in the world. Time to try making some money out of this mess by buying stocks now I guess.

Angry and scared. Already got my Don't Blame Me I Voted Remain T Shirt. I'm glad some of financial implications started to hit us immediately. Might even be enough to reverse it come the next general election. (Cameron has gone back on so much hopefully he'll do the same on Article 50 and leave it to the next PM.)

The schadenfreude in my soul thrills to the image of everyone outside London having to vote for that pompous twat Boris Johnson in order to stay out. Hopefully Labour will find a dour sensible financially steady Northerner who promises not to implement Article 50.

Nigel Farage looking smug is as nauseating as Simon Cowell.

tuxfool

Banned
Again I am a Remain guy but I am coming around to the idea that leaving the EU while a bad thing wont be the doomsday scenario folks seem to be thinking.

It isn't doom. But it is certainly extremely painful for everybody, and it will remain so for a long time. What is worse is that it is unnecessary pain.

Steroyd

...WOW

I am one naive motherfucker, I thought we'd follow Scotland from last year in telling the leave campaign to fuck off and convincingly to, how the fuck did this happen, and by a slim margin to.

Holy fuck!

Uzzy

This is existential to the EU. i don't think people quite understand the political will here, at all.

Yeah, let's not forget what the EU did to Greece. Who wouldn't want to be part of a union who'll do that to one of it's weaker members.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey, lets look on the bright side. The weakness of the Pound going forward does mean tourism will be on the rise. That's something.

People are literally posting in this thread that they are being told their jobs are lost as a result of this stupid decision. This is not a theoretical change for many, many people.

Who? I doubt any company is making any decisions yet, and if they so easily do it was an unstable job and unstable company to begin with. I would be curious to know of any exact details because then it would be a story for a journalist the bbc would put them on the big screen.

antonz

I love how the leave people are so open with the degree of international collusion there is. Supposedly this is all about Making England great again. So why are they so actively involved in other Nations politics

Tak3n

Banned
Katya Adler
Europe Editor
Posted at
07:56
The Leave vote in the UK is a huge body blow for the EU - already reeling from migrant crisis the euros crisis and fears about what is seen as an aggressive Russia next door.

The UK gave the EU a seat the UN Security Council, one of only two serious military forces (alongside France), respected diplomatic expertise and a driving force behind making the single market more competitive.

All that will now disappear from the EU display cabinet.

And as Britons anxiously scan the markets, watching the effect of Brexit on the pound, Europeans fear for the future of what had been the nervously recovering euro.

Deeper crisis for Greece perhaps? Italy too is a huge concern.

The EU also worries Brexit could reverse 70 years of European integration.

In all my years watching European politics, I have never seen such a widespread sense of euroscepticism.

Plenty of Europeans looked on with envy yesterday as Britain cast its In/Out vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

SomTervo

Don't forget Gordon Brown.

Gordon Brown was great - he just couldn't do fuck all. He stepped into office with his hands tied and flopped on the deck of Blair's burning + sinking ship. They were from complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Brown's policies would have alleviated the effects of the recession infinitely more than the Tory austerity approach. Almost every leading economist agreed and we saw Brown's approach work in other countries.

But no, people are idiots. Vote Tories in, enjoy another 6+ years of shit getting fucked

Honestly what is life

deefol

Times like this I see why tax havens exist, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs.

If they raise taxes they aren't getting benefits out of my paycheck, that's for sure.

If the only way the EU can maintain its members is by punishing those who leave badly then maybe its doomed long term anyway.

Much more likely the second biggest economy in Europe and the EU find a way to trade together is a mutually beneficial manner.

Again I am a Remain guy but I am coming around to the idea that leaving the EU while a bad thing wont be the doomsday scenario folks seem to be thinking.

Again: Of course there will be a partnership between EU and UK, but the EU has to make clear that being in the EU is more beneficial.
It has less to do with punishment and more with encouraging others, to show that being part of the EU is a good thing.

If you can get the same or just about the same benefits as being in the EU, but without any responsibilities, why be part of the EU in the first place?

Unconfirmed Member
France and Germany won't hurt themselves to make a point. France is limping along with less than 1% growth and 10.5% unemployment. UK is Germany's third largest trading partner. They can't risk hurting their own economies by punishing the UK.
We aren't going to be negotiating with businessmen but politicians. The French and German governments cannot allow their own anti-EU sentiment to rise in their own country which will happen if Britain flourishes outside the EU.

Expect any trade deal to include freedom of movement of labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom