• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiggyRob

Well, this is the same country that voted the Tories in, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised really. Too many dumb fuckers voting with no idea what it would mean.

When Trump becomes the President of the US we might as well just accept the apocalypse there and then.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I'd love to hear from EuroGAF their opinions on the likelihood of:

- the end of the UK, with Ireland, Scotland, or both leaving

- the end of the EU as the dominoes start to fall

- most likely. Scotland will have none of this shitfest.

- is a possibility but i dont think so for now.

I'd love to hear from EuroGAF their opinions on the likelihood of:

- the end of the UK, with Ireland, Scotland, or both leaving

Scotland will almost definitely hold an independence referendum ASAP, and it's extremely likely that they will drop out of the UK, especially if the EU tosses them a bone and invites them back in.
Northern Ireland is a big question mark. I think this referendum may have brought NI closer to want to become independent (or unify with Ireland), again, especially if the EU offers them to join back in.
And I know you didn't ask about that, but it might even be in Gibraltar's interest to opt out of the UK as well.

- the end of the EU as the dominoes start to fall

It heavily depends on how the UK will fare once it's out of the EU. Will its economy implode or will it get away with just a few bruises? If it's the latter, then the EU will fall apart, most likely.
This is especially the case if the EU approaches Brexit softly and concedes to allowing the UK many of its rights as an EU member but without the responsibilities.

Hasney

Labour Party about to implode

I think when all is said and some, Lib Dems will get back to the position they were in just before the coalition. History has already shown than they did fight off then worst of the Tory policies, despite what people claimed, and with Tories and Labour likely to be a disaster zone, they should get some old seats back.

Saves 350 million a day, controls immigration, job enrichment, have our own legislation system and justice system etc etc, lots of reasons

It doesn't save that. That figure was bullshit even when they said it was a week.

jgwhiteus

I fff hope not. As a trading Centre of Europe that would fuck us over so much.

I think I read somewhere that Amsterdam is hoping to position itself as the "new" financial center of the EU and attract more financial services companies that are currently headquartered in London.

ロックマン;208199748 said:
Let us free ourselves of the false song of globalism. I want peace and prosperity between NATIONS, not evil empires calling themselves "unions".

We can live in an international world of trade, travel, and peace. Nation States are the key to prosperity. You can take what good there is out of the EU, without the EU and rid Europe of the rest of it.

Fear has been instilled into so many, especially the youth into thinking the world is better off with globalism. Is cultural degradation, complete inequality of nations, less freedom, and forced policies really the superior way? Giant multinationals raping the working class of the world and nations are the solution?

We are better than this. Please research the evil of globalism and wake up. I want a peaceful and prosperous world just like many of you who disagree with me on this issue.

You may want to brush up on your european history lessons.

JDB

Banned
ロックマン;208199748 said:
Let us free ourselves of the false song of globalism. I want peace and prosperity between NATIONS, not evil empires calling themselves "unions".

We can live in an international world of trade, travel, and peace. Nation States are the key to prosperity. You can take what good there is out of the EU, without the EU and rid Europe of the rest of it.

Fear has been instilled into so many, especially the youth into thinking the world is better off with globalism. Is cultural degradation, complete inequality of nations, less freedom, and forced policies really the superior way? Giant multinationals raping the working class of the world and nations are the solution?

We are better than this. Please research the evil of globalism and wake up. I want a peaceful and prosperous world just like many of you who disagree with me on this issue.
#wakeupsheeple
#doyourownresearch

TheFatOne

Tons of undecideds. Undecideds most of the time tend to go against the status quo. And if the economy collapses, Trump isn't the status quo.

Trump is fighting an enormous up hill battle just on the demographics advantage the democrats have. The guy has been imploding this last month, and Hillary only just became the presumptive nominee.He has no ground game. None. He doesn't have the funds to compete in the big leagues and that is going to hurt him badly as the months go on. On top of that his campaign is incredibly poorly managed. The tactic he used to win the primary will not help him for the general. The general is a different beast entirely as Trump has learned this past month. It's not impossible for him to win, but it's incredibly unlikely. He needs to get something like 7 out of 10 white male votes, and that number makes it nearly impossible for him to win.

Yazuka

I'm not too into politics and I have not been following this.
Could someone please tell me what consequences this will have? I have a friend who lives in Bristol and I'm getting kind of worried for him, since by all the reactions this seems bad.

Edgar Wright chimes in.
edgar_wright_brexit_by_digi_matrix-da7jsn3.png

MedicUnderFire

Neo Member
Seen this image floating around on twitter, don't know how likely its ever to happen, but honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was what it turned out to end up like within the next 10 or 20 years.

Unl0Y1g.jpg

Window

Still surprised that most market players didn't anticipate this decision. Making the right prediction must have been of utmost importance but it looks like many still missed the mark. Or maybe they did and this is a relatively tempered response compared to if they hadn't.

Carcetti

ロックマン;208199748 said:

Okay, fair enough. Just could you elaborate what you mean with 'cultural degradation'?

Raxus

Saves 350 million a day, controls immigration, job enrichment, have our own legislation system and justice system etc etc, lots of reasons

350 million is a lie as many economists have pointed out, doesn't do shit to immigration and by the bloodbath in the stock market this morning the job enrichment outlook is not so good.

antonz

Cameron is soooooooooooooooooooo gone.

Get the new thread ready.
Leave better hope Cameron doesn't leave. If he says he intends to resign its going to send a whole separate shockwave behind the one that is ripping through England right now

Velcro Fly

Tons of undecideds. Undecideds most of the time tend to go against the status quo. And if the economy collapses, Trump isn't the status quo.

Maybe if this was a simple majority.

Electoral college swings heavily for the Democrats this time and Donald Trump is positively toxic. For him to win wouldn't just be one upset, it would take about 7 or 8 in swing states. Not saying it can't happen, but it certainly isn't going to be the coin toss that this seemed to be leading up to the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom