• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

It was a good question and not given the respect it deserves.

I would hope that important things like that are continually funded by the cash we save from the membership fee.

theaface

So many gems in that hour, but I think the highlight has to be the pro-Leave priest reminding us to love the neighbour. Quite something.

Breakage

I still can't believe this shitshow is real, betting the UK's finances and future on a do I like foreigners? yes/no vote.
And it's gonna go thru despite the vote being won on lies, xenophobia and ignorance. And everyone's supposed to sit back and respect democracy because the people have spoken.

I really don't see myself having a future in this country. The depressing thing is that this referendum was unnecessary.

Everyone at Westminster is useless, lies and deceit from all sides, this isn't new it happens at every single democratic election. But the only way for true change to occur is from chaos so we still have a chance. I'm hopeful EU and UK gets the reform and change that is needed.

Protome

So many gems in that hour, but I think the highlight has to be the pro-Leave priest reminding us to love the neighbour. Quite something.

For me it was Salmond making a joke about the Leave campaign not actually expecting to win, or having a plan for it. Then the entire Leave panel nodding.

Say what you want about how insane and half baked Salmond's plan was during the IndieRef, but he at least had one.

Kabouter

I would hope that important things like that are continually funded by the cash we save from the membership fee.

Few have denied that at the very least the British economy will shrink in the short to medium term, reducing the tax base in the process. Much of the cash you save from the membership fee may well simply need to be used to plug holes in the budget from reduced tax income and increased expenditures on benefits. It's entirely possible that to continue to fund research at similar levels you might simply have to cut spending elsewhere, raise taxes or deficit spend more.

Tyaren

You are aware that the UK would still have to pay a hefty membership fee if they left and instead entered a Norvegian and Swiss kind of deal with the EU?

Bedlam

Gotta say good on Scotland for having by far the smartest politicians. I'd be 110% for Scottish independence and EU membership just on the weight of the clusterfuck so far.
Yep. Scotland looks very good right now. Common sense, decency, cool-headed and professional.

English politicians by comparison look like a bunch of headless chickens or Trumps. As a German who otherwise doesn't really follow British politics, I can't believe the shitshow that I'm witnessing currently.

You can already see just by judging the politicians that Scotland is going to come stronger out of this while the rest of the UK is fucked for the coming years. You guys desperately need new politicians.

Orbis

Few have denied that at the very least the British economy will shrink in the short to medium term, reducing the tax base in the process. Much of the cash you save from the membership fee may well simply need to be used to plug holes in the budget from reduced tax income and increased expenditures on benefits. It's entirely possible that to continue to fund research at similar levels you might simply have to cut spending elsewhere, raise taxes or deficit spend more.
No no no, we don't need a post-Brexit budget, that was all scare stories from Osborne.

theaface

For me it was Salmond making a joke about the Leave campaign not actually expecting to win, or having a plan for it. Then the entire Leave panel nodding.

Also very good. It's like life imitating art, recalling some of our greatest British sitcoms and comedies. The last few days have had shades of Brass Eye, Armando Ianucci, Black Mirror, Alan Partridge, University Challenge Young Ones, The Thick of It.

Laugh it up to stave off the tears.

geordiemp

What I got from that was there is no plan... Still. Oh and England aren't just being racist towards immigrants, but towards Scotland too.

Man what a load of crap.

Do you think every time German AFD is in the news I think to myself, thats all Germans ?

Do you think every time the French nation front is on TV I think there goes all of France ?

No, so why is it OK to label UK people the same. Every country probably has 20-30 % who think like this (see last French elections)...

But unfortunately the 20 % is being shown on TV to represent people who voted for other reasons or just mixed up with all the promises.

This painting whole countries as racist has to stop OK ?

Plum

Seeing as the EU funded 91% of the uni research at the uni near me it is huge. But nope that's just move on.

Eh, what does it matter? Education and the fostering of further generations of talent and innovation means fuck all compared to what language the shopkeeper's speaking in private. All scientists do is create autism-vaccines and back up the elite liberal agenda anyway, who cares about them?

Sarcasm, of course. Education and science are already a sorry state of affairs here and it's only going to get worse.

Protome

The membership fee is largely irrelevant. The amount we are going to lose outweighs it significantly. Everything is going to receive cuts, anyone expecting or hoping the one thing they liked that received EU funding is going to somehow not receive hefty cuts is naive and insane.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Guess the Where's Boris question has been answered:

This is like a comedy show.
Yes, it very literally is:
frlR0iq.png

Maledict

Man what a load of crap.

Do you think every time German AFD is in the news I think to myself, thats all Germans ?

Do you think every time the French nation front is on TV I think there goes all of France ?

No, so why is it OK to label UK people the same. Every country probably has 20-30 % who think like this (see last French elections)...

But unfortunately the 20 % is being shown on TV to represent people who voted for other reasons or just mixed up with all the promises.

If you stand and vote with racists then what do you expect? Sorry, but screw beating around the bush. No-body thinks all of France is like the National Front because France votes against them! If Marine Le Pen wins the presidency you can be damn sure everyone will think the country went racist and mad - and rightly so! You don't get to use racism and racist voters to win something then claim no responsibility for your actions.

I'm a gay man. I don't give a shit about republicans who vote for their party but tell me they like gay people. It's the same damn thing. If your agenda attracts the support of racists and xenophobes then maybe your damn agenda is wrong?

nOoblet16

Here's something. I'm from Liverpool and the youth around here tried to organise an event centred around cultural integration and unity to be hosted this Tuesday at a hall indoors.

Liverpool voted to stay in the EU, with 58% of votes backing Remain. Join us to stand united with Europe, London, Scotland and other areas who did not vote to leave.
It's time to gather to discuss next steps, to stand up for unity and to channel the city's positive voices.

Liverpool Stays is our mark of showing that, regardless of the EU Referendum result, we stand alongside the people of Europe to show we are inclusive, open and patient to understanding how we can make the Leave decision into a positive one for all. We stay with Europe!

If you’re outside of Liverpool we’d love for you to join us in your own towns and cities – here’s to ‘London Stays’, 'Manchester Stays', ‘Fort William Stays’, ‘Berlin Stays', and further afield.

This will be a celebration of Liverpool, UK and Europe, so feel free to bring:
- A flag of your country
- National dress
- Banners and signs
- Music
- Games
- Anything else that promotes connected-ness

Moving forward, we want to come together to understand and educate ourselves on how we can create a positive environment for all people – regardless of age, gender, race, demographic, location, and their Leave or Remain vote.

To follow our ethos of not dictating what people should do or think, we’ve been inspired by Burning events to include our principles:

1. Participation: This is an event for all, and so all are welcome.
2. Positivity: We promote positivity around the referendum, not wishing to blame, and always with the mindset of wanting to find creative ways of looking to the future. We do not base prejudice based a person’s decision to vote.
3. Leave no trace: We want to commit to leaving no physical trace of our presence after we gather – and so clean up after ourselves.
4. Education: To use the gathering of people to educate ourselves on the policies, and engaging in healthy debate

Someone from Liverpool Echo then writes this article

And now this event is cancelled because they didn't want the event to be hijacked by others thinking it was a protest and have things turn ugly.
So now they will have to sort it out with the police and first aid response, maybe sometime in the coming week or later, but hopefully we can get it done.

danthefan

People like Johnson, Gove, etc don't give a shit. It's all a game to them, playing with people's lives and futures. Whether we're in or out, they'll always live in the lap of luxury. Look at Cameron, fucks everything up and just walks away.

Oh cmon. His position was completely untenable.

And just to add, he hasn't just walked away. He's staying on for the next few months because if he did actually just pack up and leave Number 10 tomorrow things would get far worse imo.

Man what a load of crap.

That comment was tongue in cheek. I don't seriously believe all englanders are racist, but commenting on the show alone it was a pretty shambolic demonstration. Then again it is QT, so what else is new?

Maledict

People like Johnson, Gove, etc don't give a shit. It's all a game to them, playing with people's lives and futures. Whether we're in or out, they'll always live in the lap of luxury. Look at Cameron, fucks everything up and just walks away.

Cameron walking away in the way he did is absolutely the best possible chance we have to not leave Europe. If he stayed and activate article 50 this week, it would be unstoppable. There's a reason Merkel is saying it shouldn't happen immediately, and that's why Cameron is doing this. He creates a poisoned chalice for the next leader that will force them to make unmake able decisions or retreat from the Leave promises.

FuturusX

The simple solution is to simply to reduce spending on science research.

Pandy

Say what you want about how insane and half baked Salmond's plan was during the IndieRef, but he at least had one.

I made that point earlier. If the last Scottish Indyref had been successful, there was a blueprint everybody could look at and go, "Okay, here's the outline plan, but now we know the reality of the situation we're going to have to change this, this, and this, and we need some hard figures before we can decide what to do about this."

We're so far away from even that basic stage right now.

Real Hero

Yep they will all still be mates and probably laugh about it all with each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom