• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

That last question "how are we going to fund research now?" answer: "we lost" ding dong was that bell?
I assume you mean academic research. I was thinking the same. Reminds me of the situation in Switzerland after that anti-immigration law passed (I was just leaving CH when it happened).

theaface

Unfortunately it is most likely true that the research side of things has gone for good.

Oh well. What's really important now is that we *come together* and unify and agree a proper plan for what comes next. /s

My god. It's been 3 days and the rage just keeps building. I can't believe SO MANY people in positions of power treated this like a big fucking game. Life lesson 101 - actions have consequences. I feel so so so sorry for every poor sod who is going to lose a job, an opportunity or funding because of this. Unequivocally the darkest time in UK politics in my lifetime.

Audioboxer

Ahhh the good old bitter English tears when it's about what Scotland voted for and want. Shhh Scotland, this isn't about you, it's about us.

Sooner we get independent from this mess the better, then you don't need to worry about a Scottish MP on QT saying he/she wants to do what is best for their country because their country voting on mass different from England/Wales.

Obviously this ire is aimed at specific English people, not a wide canvas.

nOoblet16

The simple solution is to simply to reduce spending on science research.

Obviously, and yet people are deluded into thinking Universities will now look more attractive. It hasn't been attractive to non EU students since 2012 (I came a year before) due to how UK treats them and how difficult it is for them to get funding...which will get even more difficult now.

I will finish my PhD right around the time UK leaves, so I think I will be safe..but who knows.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh the good old bitter English tears when it's about what Scotland voted for and want. Shhh Scotland, this isn't about you, it's about us.

Sooner we get independent from this mess the better, then you don't need to worry about a Scottish MP on QT saying he/she wants to do what is best for their country.

I'll be deeply sad to see Scotland go, but I can't blame you. Best of luck; use your freedom well.

DiGiKerot

Man what a load of crap.

Do you think every time German AFD is in the news I think to myself, thats all Germans ?

Do you think every time the French nation front is on TV I think there goes all of France ?

No, so why is it OK to label UK people the same. Every country probably has 20-30 % who think like this (see last French elections)...

But unfortunately the 20 % is being shown on TV to represent people who voted for other reasons or just mixed up with all the promises.

This painting whole countries as racist has to stop OK ?

Please bear in mind that, statistically, it was only actually 20-30% of the UK population that actually voted to leave the EU, which falls perfectly inline with your metrics.

(Although I'm just being a pedant here - I agree it's counter productive, particularly at this juncture, to paint the entire country as racist, but it's difficult to deny that the bigoted minority haven't seen this result as being a mandate to renew their efforts in being a bunch of arseholes)

Obviously, and yet people are deluded into thinking Universities will now look more attractive. It hasn't been attractive to non EU students since 2012 (I came a year before) due to how UK treats them and how difficult it is for them to get funding...which will get even more difficult now.

With less EU and non-EU students, you can save quite a lot of money!

Pandy

We don't need a new Thick of It episode. It's basically writing itself.

Just get a bunch of fly-on-the-wall cameras and have someone edit together half an hour of highlights each day like 'Big Brother'. BAFTAs for comedy and drama in the bag.

Can't disagree with her, but this political point scoring is disgraceful too.

Point scoring, more likely she is trying to coax them out from behind the couch, it's pathetic that they just went into hiding amidst the immigrant bashing and the mess of it all, shameful.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I will finish my PhD right around the time UK leaves, so I think I will be safe..but who knows.

Funny thing is research is underpaid largely to begin with, you do it out of passion or prospects. Good luck seeing how that will go now

geordiemp

If you stand and vote with racists then what do you expect? Sorry, but screw beating around the bush. No-body thinks all of France is like the National Front because France votes against them! If Marine Le Pen wins the presidency you can be damn sure everyone will think the country went racist and mad - and rightly so! You don't get to use racism and racist voters to win something then claim no responsibility for your actions.

I'm a gay man. I don't give a shit about republicans who vote for their party but tell me they like gay people. It's the same damn thing. If your agenda attracts the support of racists and xenophobes then maybe your damn agenda is wrong?

I am glad your are enjoying the shit show and others misery. I just hope when your country is in times of need everyone is a bit more grown up.

I am out of here, so many trolls just lining up to put the boot in, there are allot of good people in the world you know..

Pandy

In all seriousness, she's probably trying to get someone in charge on the phone to have some proper discussions with and can't because they're all busy stabbing each other in the back. I'd be pissed off too.

Audioboxer

I'll be deeply sad to see Scotland go, but I can't blame you. Best of luck; use your freedom well.

Cheers, sorry for the anger but it's just ridiculous when the same angry English folk tell the English remain campaign to move on, leave won, then try to silence the Scottish when 62% of us "won" our vote but have to go with the "losing" vote up here.

It's a horrible mess our UK doesn't vote in unison, but it is what it is and we deserve our chance to allow what we voted for to stand. If it could be done without leaving the UK fine, but it really can't be.

All I can say to my English and Welsh brothers is you're welcome to live here any time, we do not hate you in the North, we just get ratty feeling like the little 2nd class brother at times.

ps. Alex Salmond is a dick, but he does say a lot right and can be funny.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...https://m.facebook.com/plugins/video.php&_rdr

I've spent over 10 years learning how to control my temper. It's not been easy, because growing up I was always taught to deal with things with my fists.

But this video right here...

I Would of been struggling to hold it down.

WHY THE FUCK IS THEIR 7 FEDS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD AND NOBODY IS TELLING THESE CUNTS TO FUCKING DO ONE????

What worries me is I drive past that area every day for work.

DiGiKerot

Sooner we get independent from this mess the better, then you don't need to worry about a Scottish MP on QT saying he/she wants to do what is best for their country because their country voting on mass different from England/Wales.

As someone who was thrilled when Scotland, however narrowly, voted to stay within the union, I entirely sincerely wish you the best of luck in getting the heck off of this sinking ship at the earliest possible juncture.

(As long as I'm still allowed to come up there one a year to watch cartoons, anyway).

Fistwell

Seeing as the EU funded 91% of the uni research at the uni near me it is huge. But nope that's just move on.
National funding will make up some of it (or should, it did in CH in a similar situation). The question should be: what's the ratio of UK's contribution to European research funds / how much UK researchers secured through EU (competitive) calls.

But yeah, it's a pretty bad situation to find itself in.

theaface

I am glad your are enjoying the shit show and others misery.

Hmm. I think the entire referendum result could be described as a shitshow and causing lots of people misery, which could have been seen a mile off, but was waved away as 'Project Fear'. Yet, here we are. You voted for it, own it.

All that research was for made up things like climate change and evolution anyway. The great British research budget can be put into making better pork pies and stout along with finding the optimal flexibility of sticks to beat uppity Scots with.

MrHoot

Man what a load of crap.

Do you think every time German AFD is in the news I think to myself, thats all Germans ?

Do you think every time the French nation front is on TV I think there goes all of France ?

No, so why is it OK to label UK people the same. Every country probably has 20-30 % who think like this (see last French elections)...

But unfortunately the 20 % is being shown on TV to represent people who voted for other reasons or just mixed up with all the promises.

This painting whole countries as racist has to stop OK ?

Not to paint the ENTIRE population but when shit like this seems to be happening massively post ref: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?745i5vqfvfs35l8fr

That a woman politician got shot by a pro-brexiter pre referendum

When the whole thing is lead by a far-right nationalistic party

When "immigration" is the main contentious point for a majority of pro brexiters

I can only share the same wise words from pro-brexiters recently and that is "Deal with it". Might not all be racist but certainly validating them wholeheartedly

Plum

Cheers, sorry for the anger but it's just ridiculous when the same angry English folk tell the remain campaign to move on leave won, then try to silence the Scottish when 62% of us "won" our vote but have to be silenced.

It's a horrible mess our UK doesn't vote in unison, but it is what it is and we deserve our chance to allow what we voted for to stand. If it could be done without leaving the UK fine, but it really can't be.

All I can say to my English and Welsh brothers is you're welcome to live here any time, we do not hate you in the North, we just get ratty feeling like the little 2nd class brother at times.

If you guys leave I'm seriously planning moving up there. Joint Welsh and English heritage and I don't feel like I'm part of either.

That first question from that guy: How does it feel to be punched on the nose.

You fucking dick head. You torpedoed the future of young people and countless unborn generations just to get at Westminster. What an absolute raging cunt.

Maledict

I am glad your are enjoying the shit show and others misery. I just hope when your country is in times of need everyone is a bit more grown up.

I am out of here, so many trolls just lining up to put the boot in, there are allot of good people in the world you know..

I'm British - I voted in the referendum, and like many people my generation am incredibly, incredibly unhappy right now. Also deeply ashamed. I just happen to have a lot of friends who don't live in the UK.

I appreciate how you didn't address a single point in my post. You cannot stand next to racists, and use the vote of racists, and then claim "not me guv".

Corto

"We have to move on" to actual problems that need to be solved, what a fitting ending. Last one out of the UK turn off the lights.

13d2jHlSlxklVe.gif

Cheers, sorry for the anger but it's just ridiculous when the same angry English folk tell the English remain campaign to move on, leave won, then try to silence the Scottish when 62% of us "won" our vote but have to go with the "losing" vote up here.

Yeah seeing stuff like that on question time just strengthens the independence argument.

Plum

Hmm. I think the entire referendum result could be described as a shitshow and causing lots of people misery, which could have been seen a mile off, but was waved away as 'Project Fear'. Yet, here we are. You voted for it, own it.

EDIT: Ah, sorry. Complete misunderstanding. I agree, leavers should bloody own it.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
I am going to cry

Ashes

Banned
Oh well. What's really important now is that we *come together* and unify and agree a proper plan for what comes next. /s

My god. It's been 3 days and the rage just keeps building. I can't believe SO MANY people in positions of power treated this like a big fucking game. Life lesson 101 - actions have consequences. I feel so so so sorry for every poor sod who is going to lose a job, an opportunity or funding because of this. Unequivocally the darkest time in UK politics in my lifetime.

To clarify, in light of how well the universities in the UK are seen across Europe and the world, we were an actual net gainer in this category. We got €8.8bn in research funding versus the €5.4bn we gave EU for this area.

There is a chance that €5.4bn will be allocated around the UK. That €3bn will most likely be lost.

If all the study's the daily mail and express reported in the news, stated, that it was EU funding that made the research possible, then it'd far outweigh all the silly stuff that they kept having a go at - on top of all those quacky fringe researchers they trying to give a platform to. But the EU isn't there to croak about its self.

avaya

I go from almost hysterical laughter to disbelief to pure rage to utter despair to hysterical laughter every few hours.

This is all a dream. Jesus fucking christ. This is some kind of nightmare.

Protome

Given that she is the only major politician actually confronting the issues it's pretty easy to score points

She's the only major party leader whose party isn't collapsing around them. Corbyn is being forcibly removed by his Shadow Cabinet, Cameron stood down largely out of anger because he has been stabbed in the back by Boris and Gove. Nobody even knows who the fuck the Lib Dem leader is.
I actually genuinely don't know. Clegg stood down after the last election, didn't he?

The third biggest party in the UK is the only one talking sense and arguing their electorate's case.

oti

Banned

Out of all the parties involved she holds the most cards in her hand. Also it's easy to forget that almost a third of the Scots voted Leave. She needs to be like that to point fingers at Westminster's incompetence. It ain't pretty but that's what she needs to do.

diaspora

She's the only major party leader whose party isn't collapsing around them. Corbyn is being forcibly removed by his Shadow Cabinet, Cameron stood down largely out of anger because he has been stabbed in the back by Boris and Gove. Nobody even knows who the fuck the Lib Dem leader is.
I actually genuinely don't know. Clegg stood down after the last election, didn't he?

The third biggest party in the UK is the only one talking sense and arguing their electorate's case.

Tim Farron.
People who hold the splintering over tuition against them even today are imo idiots. It wasn't good but it was largely inconsequential.

Unconfirmed Member
Some quotes from today,

“The US must face the fact that the UK will likely be less of an effective and reliable partner in global affairs,”- Jim Stavridis, former Nato supreme commander.

“The nature and the shape of the financial services industry in France or in Germany — from the banking and any other point of view — is pretty different from what it is in the UK. So the direction of how policy will evolve will reflect those different voices, without the British voice in there to balance.” - Lord Hill, former EU commissioner

Lord Hill has also said that it is unlikely that British banks will retain EU passporting.

Ashes

Banned
Given that she is the only major politician actually confronting the issues it's pretty easy to score points

Except she isn't the only one. Regardless of what some may believe the chancellor is about to quit too, and he ought not to right away. All the central banks are getting ready for Monday morning.

Presumably the chancellor is getting a bollocking from China.

Morat

Banned
I go from almost hysterical laughter to disbelief to pure rage to utter despair to hysterical laughter every few hours.

This is all a dream. Jesus fucking christ. This is some kind of nightmare.

Come on, don't be such a downer. Its all about moving forward now. You havn't been skipping your joy now have you. Downer

hapthumb-1444433305964.jpg

Some quotes from today,

“The US must face the fact that the UK will likely be less of an effective and reliable partner in global affairs,”- Jim Stavridis, former Nato supreme commander.

“The nature and the shape of the financial services industry in France or in Germany — from the banking and any other point of view — is pretty different from what it is in the UK. So the direction of how policy will evolve will reflect those different voices, without the British voice in there to balance.” - Lord Hill, former EU commissioner

Lord Hill has also said that it is unlikely that British banks will retain EU passporting.

Unprecedented Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom