• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

Bo Jo has finally broken cover... to write his paid column for The Telegraph.

I believe that millions of people who voted Leave were also inspired by the belief that Britain is a great country, and that outside the job-destroying coils of EU bureaucracy we can survive and thrive as never before. I think that they are right in their analysis, and right in their choice. And yet we who agreed with this majority verdict must accept that it was not entirely overwhelming.

There were more than 16 million who wanted to remain. They are our neighbours, brothers and sisters who did what they passionately believe was right. In a democracy majorities may decide but everyone is of equal value. We who are part of this narrow majority must do everything we can to reassure the Remainers. We must reach out, we must heal, we must build bridges – because it is clear that some have feelings of dismay, and of loss, and confusion.

I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be. There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment. EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market. Britain is and always will be a great European power, offering top-table opinions and giving leadership on everything from foreign policy to defence to counter-terrorism and intelligence-sharing – all the things we need to do together to make our world safer.

He's going to fucking bottle it so fucking hard it hurts. And I couldn't be happier.

Brexit? My arse.

PJV3

Why? He's pro-Brexit, Labour needs to be the main force in favor of remaining in the EU.

Labour can't ignore the referendum, they will have to promise to try to implement It or UKIP will run rampant.

The only out is a final referendum in 2 years or a national emergency.

Biggzy

Interesting/sad the level of denial on display countrywide. So many people desperate to somehow wind the clock back. The cat is out of the bag, Leave is happening in some form or another. It would surely be more productive to start to make the best of the situation to move forward. Instead everyone is imploding, desperate to find the loophole that will reinstate the status quo prior to the referendum.

Oh the cat is out alright and the end game is that no one is going to be satisfied with the eventual outcome of all this. We will leave he EU but at the same time the leave camp will not get what they want either.

Again, this referendum has been a farce and has only served to highlight the divisions in this country and diminished our standing in the world.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yup. Facebook is INSANE for this currently.

*person who voted leave: "MAN I wish everyone would stop being a politician on here fucking lol itll be fine we are the UK we just need to come together innit"*

They honestly believe life will be the same come leaving day.

Its madness

You gotta have a little faith. Things will turn out okay.

avaya

Agreed, he might have fucked up over the war but he spoke a lot of sense today, really could use someone like him in a crisis.

Blair is totally different league of politician compared to anyone in government today. He fucked it over the war but it still does not detract from his political accumen.

Tyaren

Because the german minister of defence has the power to decide that. ...

Nice to know some German ministers still think they can make unilateral decisions for 27 countries. That's really helpful.

Luckily it isn't up to the German Minister of Defence. Also, that's a ridiculously spiteful thing to say given that 48% didn't vote for this shit.

Wow, wait a sec guys...XD She didn't say it like it was portrayed in here. She didn't say that the UK will only rejoin over her dead body, but that she just can't imagine the UK rejoining the EU ever again. And she was actually very sad about that. She would have wished for her children and grandchildren to grow up in a unified Europe.

RedShift

That statement from Corbyn definitely confirms for me he wasn't at all committed to Remain.

Until they replace him I consider myself a lib dem supporter.

Audioboxer

Interesting/sad the level of denial on display countrywide. So many people desperate to somehow wind the clock back. The cat is out of the bag, Leave is happening in some form or another. It would surely be more productive to start to make the best of the situation to move forward. Instead everyone is imploding, desperate to find the loophole that will reinstate the status quo prior to the referendum.

Can you blame them when those suppose to be leading the country are AWOL? Opinions on Sturgeon aside why is she the only main leader out talking?

Boris is playing Cricket and Cameron thinks because he gave himself 3 months he can just go into hiding? Corbyn is busy performing his Red Wedding on the Labour Party.

So unless you are Scottish with no one high up to look to its no wonder people are going insane.

There is no plan for leaving, to just suddenly decide to go without a workable plan is committing economic suicide, without access to our largest single trade partner we would be fucked, this is heading toward being an utter catastrophe, sure give us a plan let us know how we survive without any trade until the deals are done. Until then it's no surprise people are up in arms, you can't just make things up on a whim.

Hasney

Blair is totally different league of politician compared to anyone in government today. He fucked it over the war but it still does not detract from his political accumen.

Yeah, I honestly don't know anyone else who could have gotten Labour into power from any UK party and then especially keep them in for so long.

bosseye

No. I disagree. I will retain my right to protest, to argue against this, and to use the levers of democracy to try and ensure it doesn't happen.

I will never stand with racists and xenophobia, and the people who just voted to strip me of rights I've had since I was born. My future, and the future of other young working adults like me, just got nuked from orbit. The idea that we can now 'come together in unity' is ridiculous and obscene.

There is no 'best of' situation apart from stopping this fucking train wreck from happening. Thank gods for Germany and Scotland right now.

I get your point. But Leave is likely happening. Then what are you going to do? Leave the country, move abroad, Paul Daniels style threats when Labour were elected in 1997? Fine if you do/can, but if you don't/can't?

Its not a result that sits well with a lot of people, and understandably so. But realistically, what is the alternative but to try and work together - and by that I mean Labour, Conservative, the various EU bodies - towards the future, whatever form that may take.

Carrying a deep sense of resentment over what has happened is natural, but ultimtely counter productive over time.

ShogunX

See if the Remain campaign had used their nous then stuff like this -

Cl332sAWEAA_InN.jpg:large

Would of been an incredibly effective way of showing why the Leave campaigns focus on immigration was a load of bollocks and I'm pretty sure you could find countless examples of stuff just like this.

Chinner

Banned
Even seeing Brown in action shows him leagues above what we have today. Shame he had shit passed to him on a plate.

nOoblet16

Blair royally fucked up with the war, but in all honesty those were the times. Not trying to be a Blair apologist because I hate the new labour that he created. The labour today even under Corby's liberal stance is a much worse labour because of the fact that it's filled with Blairites when it should have been full of Bennites.

Despite that the guy is on another level and he knows exactly what's going on. Even Brown is better than any politician out there today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Labor had a leader who was pro remain, do you guys think the vote would be any different? (curious American)

Depends how competent they were. I don't think Cooper or Kendall could have pulled it off. Burnham's a northern lad and might have had the personal pull to do so, but he cocked up his leadership run so badly by rejecting the unions Corbyn got elected in the first place, so he's not an example of stunning political foresight. So, I think it unlikely a different Labour leader from the options we had to choose from would have made a difference; a hypothetical perfect Labour leader might have but that never happened.

Maledict

I get your point. But Leave is likely happening. Then what are you going to do? Leave the country, move abroad, Paul Daniels style threats when Labour were elected in 1997? Fine if you do/can, but if you don't/can't?

Its not a result that sits well with a lot of people, and understandably so. But realistically, what is the alternative but to try and work together - and by that I mean Labour, Conservative, the various EU bodies - towards the future, whatever form that may take.

Carrying a deep sense of resentment over what has happened is natural, but ultimtely counter productive over time.

No. I will move abroad - either to Scotland with my fiancé whose Scottish, or elsewhere. I don't think you quite understand how astonishingly deep these feelings go. I've been active in politics for some time, and I have never felt this way before - nor the people I know.

I absolutely will not, under any circumstance, with the bastards who did this to my country and my future. There is no unity to be had.

ShogunX

Boris - ''We should be incredibly proud and positive about the UK, and what it can now achieve. And we will achieve those things together, with all four nations united''

Has he been hiding in a bunker?

Plum

Try and work together with people who willingly vote to take away your rights. I'd rather not be forced into some form of twisted Stockholm Syndrome just to help the leavers fix their massive fuck up. I don't care if it's counter productive, so was voting leave, and they don't care either so why should I?

Labour can't ignore the referendum, they will have to promise to try to implement It or UKIP will run rampant.

The only out is a final referendum in 2 years or a national emergency.

I think Labour can make a reasonable case that there's no plan to leave, the British economy will tank so it's better not to follow through with the results, considering it was a close result.

Not to mention what Johnson wants is EU membership without the name and influence.

Boris - ''We should be incredibly proud and positive about the UK, and what it can now achieve. And we will achieve those things together, with all four nations united''

Has he been hiding in a bunker?

Sounds to me like we are going nowhere, he is just building up for that.

Audioboxer

No. I will move abroad - either to Scotland with my fiancé whose Scottish, or elsewhere. I don't think you quite understand how astonishingly deep these feelings go. I've been active in politics for some time, and I have never felt this way before - nor the people I know.

I absolutely will not, under any circumstance, with the bastards who did this to my country and my future. There is no unity to be had.

Cmon up bro, I got a spare room for the two of you and I'm a half decent cook.

nOoblet16

He must know he has a massive job to sell it to the 52% who voted against freedom of movement - let's not beat round the bush people, this is basically what the referendum was about.
I know quite a few who voted leave but not because of freedom of movement and they dislike Farage. Their reasoning being they think EU was too undemocratic and full of bloat.

Hasney

I wonder what will happen when MPs vote on it. That's the bit that's being forgotten about.

Which is why if we do have a GE, every single MP should have to say if they will support it or not. We can't have people dodging that fucking question with some slimy political response to try and just get their way.

Fevaweva

Depending on how Labour kick out Corbyn - if they can - I am not voting for Labour ever again until they actually get a proper left-winger as a leader.

Green from then on.

PJV3

I think Labour can make a reasonable case that there's no plan to leave, the British economy will tank so it's better not to follow through with the results, considering it was a close result.

Not to mention what Johnson wants is EU membership without the name and influence.

Yeah the Johnson stuff is throwing me, perhaps he's giving up on leading the party.

kharma45

Which is why if we do have a GE, every single MP should have to say if they will support it or not. We can't have people dodging that fucking question with some slimy political response to try and just get their way.

I doubt we will have a GE. 2/3 of parliament would have to vote for it.

liquidtmd

Banned

And I've not been that active in Politics.

'lol the financial institutions will relocate and it will take 10-20 years to maybe get back to this position we are at now, coupled with the absolute disgust from the world but C'mon guys, unite and let's fix this together'!!!

Nope. Me and my family are gone from this county if this goes ahead. We can't now but we will set a three year plan and relocate. I refuse to stay in such a closed minded place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom