• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
When one man from one country starts dictating policy for a union of 27 countries then it starts giving legitimacy to the leavers.

Wow she said she thinks that it will not happen in her lifetime but that she hopes that it will happen later down the road.
Just to be clear, the German Minister of Defence said this in a talk show. She got questioned about a quote from a few years ago when she said she wanted the United States of Europe to become reality. She dodged that name but said the Unites States of Europe won't happen in her lifetime and neither would UK re-entering the EU.

And that she hopes it will happen later

Just to be clear, the German Minister of Defence said this in a talk show. She got questioned about a quote from a few years ago when she said she wanted the United States of Europe to become reality. She dodged that name but said the Unites States of Europe won't happen in her lifetime and neither would UK re-entering the EU.

hey stop pointing out what actually happened

When one man from one country starts dictating policy for a union of 27 countries then it starts giving legitimacy to the leavers.
She's not giving policy. The UK was already pretty clear in te fact that they do not wish to belong to the EU. Germany has no other option than to remind everyone there's no backsies because this affected the entire EU economy.

The UK could've worked with the rest of the EU to change policies, instead they decided to leave.

jorma

is now taking requests
Make sure it is a super majority next time and then no one can complain.

Dude, people aren't accepting a defeat NOW when they're the minority. But suddenly no one will complain if they win 55-45 and still lose because they didn't get a "supermajority".

Seems kinda.. not very likely.

Canadian

I find this whole situation very interesting. I'm a Canadian with EU citizenship because both my parents were Polish immigrants to Canada. I myself have been living in the UK for the last two years, studying and now working.

Canada is made up entirely of immigrants and I think that being open to different cultures and having a diverse group of people is healthy. Everyone has a different background, but we are all Canadian. People are more the same than different, but its the differences people wanted to focus on during the Brexit campaign. Everyone wants to help their families, feel safe and work for a better future.

I don't think immigration was the only reason people wanted to leave the EU but it was a big reason in the leave campaign's push for Brexit . I don't think the UK is better off from isolating itself from the rest of Europe.

Clearly the rest of the world doesn't think it's a good idea when the pound took a huge hit and lost a lot of it's value. I am interested to see this play out over the next few weeks, months and years.

LilJoka

And if it's 51% for leave, do we have another vote after? What about if it's 51% for remain?

Valid point, but unlikely considering what is happening in the UK.

Leave voters did not expect:
1. NHS 350m lie.
2. Leave voters did not expect labour and tory parties to go into meltdown.
3. They did not expect the potential break up of the UK.
4. They are undoubtedly more aware of the "strings" attached to all the promises made.

Next, voters of younger ages, only 36% 18-25 year old voted. With social media, and the huge influx of posts, petitions, videos and shares, young people are undoubtedly more aware of the consequences of the referendum, and how much impact it could have on them. Thus much more likely to vote, either way, and would be a much better consensus.

Taking that into account, i very much doubt that the vote would swing so close.

Dude, people aren't accepting a defeat NOW when they're the minority. But suddenly no one will complain if they win 55-45 and still lose because they didn't get a "supermajority".

Seems kinda.. not very likely.

I'm thinking more 65%. You know something quite large. But I'm also saying that remain would need that, and if it fails then leave still goes ahead. Keep it fair.

PJV3

I just realised it's the same for me, mid 40s.
Pretty depressing to realise that's it, over.

Kabouter

1. NHS 350m lie.
4. They are undoubtedly more aware of the "strings" attached to all the promises made.

Next, voters of younger ages, only 36% 18-25 year old voted. With social media, and the huge influx of posts, petitions, videos and shares, young people are undoubtedly more aware of the consequences of the referendum, and how much impact it could have on them. Thus much more likely to vote, either way, and would be a much better consensus.

And in a rerun of the referendum you'd also get people voting who are angry that the majority vote is being ignored, and far right parties both in the UK and elsewhere would make the most of pointing out the 'anti-democratic nature' of 'the establishment'.

Auctopus

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am at Channel 4 for naming their Referendum documentary something along the lines of "David vs. Boris".

Distilling the issues and arguments of the referendum in to the personalities of those two men was reckless.

And beneath come the 'it's all fine we're discussing it now we're out yay! leave campaign bears no responsibility' nonsense.

Technically, conceivably, arguably true. Realistically, actually, emotionally, 'common sensiscally'? Get on your fucking bikes.

The blind faith a lot of these people have that "things will just work themselves out" make me realise I need to get out of this literal nuthouse called the UK.

And in a rerun of the referendum you'd also get people voting who are angry that the majority vote is being ignored, and far right parties both in the UK and elsewhere would make the most of pointing out the anti-democratic nature of 'the establishment'.

Yup. It's a terrible idea. As terrible as the idea of the referendum in the first place, but for even less democratic reasons.

And I voted Remain and think most Leave arguments I've seen to be bullshit.

Audioboxer

1. NHS 350m lie.

To be fair there the SNP did make it clear beforehand they would push for indyref2 if Scotland got dragged out against Scottish vote.

Lime

No, it's really not.

This thread is full of people thinking they know what every voter was voting for. They don't. I won't deny that a significant amount of people are ignorant toward imigration, blindly believing the tabloids, but there are other issues that people are worried about.

The UK is most definitely a racist society.

Right I agree that there's a multitude of reasons for voting Leave but the data and surveys show that a significant portion of the votes were motivated by immigration and closing the borders. We have to acknowledge the xenophobia in order to address it somehow.

dumbo

Nice to know some German ministers still think they can make unilateral decisions for 27 countries. That's really helpful.

I'm not sure whether he's stating that he'd block it, or just stating the obvious.

The EU has long wanted tighter integration and a more 'federal' structure. The UK, as a member, always voted/vetoed against that.

Without the UK, the EU will likely move more rapidly towards tighter integration... in that situation the UK would probably not rejoin.

/shrug

1. NHS 350m lie.

I think many Leave voters are more educated than you give them credit for.

I'm sure plenty of them knew all of your points but made their choice anyway - which is totally fine.

Issues such as sovereignty and the structure of the EU may have been enough for many.

If we held it tomorrow I doubt you'd see much change. Young people never vote in the same force as the elderly.

jonno394

Gemüsepizza;208409845 said:
She didn't meant that she doesn't want the UK to re-enter the EU, it sounded more like a fear of her.

Yeah not having heard it and only reading made me think a "the UK will not reenter eu in my life time (we will make sure of that)" kind of way. Clearly I misinterpreted!

liquidtmd

Banned
The blind faith a lot of these people have that "things will just work themselves out" make me realise I need to get out of this literal nuthouse.

Yup. Facebook is INSANE for this currently.

*person who voted leave: "MAN I wish everyone would stop being a politician on here fucking lol itll be fine we are the UK we just need to come together innit"*

They honestly believe life will be the same come leaving day.

Its madness

1. NHS 350m lie.

Anyone who didn't see this leading to Scotland wanting to leave the uk hasn't been paying any attention. By leaving the EU the rest of uk has pretty much removed every convincing reason the no campaign had at the time. The only big thing left is oil and the pride of being British which im sure is severely diminished now north of the border.

Not convinced that enough people would vote remain if you held the vote again this week though. It'll be interesting to see some polls come out and see how it's swung.

I wish more young people could be bothered to vote I have no idea why they wouldn't, it just seems so wasteful for such a large % of them not to bother.

I've been thinking about this and I believe more and more that Cameron shares a big part of the blame for Brexit largely because of that broken promise. I also noticed that on the day of the referendum (or the day before, I forget which), another statistic on net migration came out, showing a big net immigration number.

Politicians make impossible promises all the time, and often they get away with it. But people concerned about immigration look at his promise and how he didn't keep it (and in fact couldn't due to the way freedom of movement works), and here we are.

It's almost as if this whole thing could be pointed back squarely to Cameron and his ego-based promises.

I would not be shocked to learn Cameron had struck up a monkey-paw deal with some higher entity that allowed him to win last year on the condition that he started an EU referendum. Because what could possibly go wrong?

TheChamp

Odd question but wouldn't Scotland technically have powers to veto Brexit before it becomes a posibility?

Absolutely insane not just from David Cameron but the Labour party also, resigning JUST when this country needs our politicians just when the country needs to be united cross party to get the best negotiation deal they would rather fight for personal gain

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah not having heard it and only reading made me think a "the UK will not reenter eu in my life time (we will make sure of that)" kind of way. Clearly I misinterpreted!

Going by the tone of the thread that's how I read it too. Sorry if it wasn't meant like that.

oti

Banned

I'm sorry, I should've provided more context. She also said her "heart is bleeding" (it means her heart broke) over the UK leaving.

LTTP here, as my ban has been lifted as of 58 minutes ago but, while it's been touched upon so many times in this thread already, I'm actually stunned at how Leave had zero contingency plans, should they get the result they wanted. But now I'm actually questioning if they actually wanted it, or did they just want to rile up some support from right wing supporters.

The writing should have been on the wall when last week, if I remember correctly, an audience member on Question Time asked if there was a contingency plan in place to all of the Vote Leave panel members, and not a single one of them had a good answer. I think it's just disgusting.

I also think people should be way more infuriated with David Cameron than they are. This referendum should never have happened ( don't come to me with "democracy"), and the only reason it did was because he thought it'd be a good power play in last year's GE. Dickhead.

Hmm...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/german-official-says-u-k-might-reconsider-brexit-1466962055

BERLIN—The British government should be given time to weigh the consequences of an exit from the European Union, a close aide to German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said in the first sign that Berlin didn’t see Britons’ vote to leave the bloc as irrevocable.

“Politicians in London should have the possibility to think again about the fallout from an exit,” Peter Altmaier, the chancellor’s chief of staff, told a consortium of German regional newspapers in an interview to be published Monday.

To leave now would be “a deep cut with far-reaching consequences” and the process of reapplying for membership would take a long time, Mr. Altmaier added.

hohoXD123

1. NHS 350m lie.

Think you're being a bit optimistic here. After being shafted by the conservative/lib dem coalition, there wasn't exactly a leap in voter turnout among young voters in the last general election.

Also, there are 'lies' in every single general election to decide the next governing party, we don't ask for reruns then.

avaya

Odd question but wouldn't Scotland technically have powers to veto Brexit before it becomes a posibility?

Absolutely insane not just from David Cameron but the Labour party also, resigning JUST when this country needs out politicians just when the country needs to be united cross party to get the best negotiaion deal they would rather fight for personal gain

Yeah they have the power. So does NI I think.

geordiemp

And in a rerun of the referendum you'd also get people voting who are angry that the majority vote is being ignored, and far right parties both in the UK and elsewhere would make the most of pointing out the 'anti-democratic nature' of 'the establishment'.

Cant see anybody standing now for the right except for UKIP. Think Boris will come out and change his tune and nobody is going to stand for leave anyway, and in a election UKIP will be a nothing.

Sounds promising, I would not be surprised if behind closed doors smart people are talking. I would hope so, I have some faith.

Plum

The blind faith a lot of these people have that "things will just work themselves out" make me realise I need to get out of this literal nuthouse called the UK.

Taking the Shaun of the Dead strategy to a real-life crisis is just typical of this country.

And yep, I need to get the fuck out of this place ASAP. Lets hope when I finish my degree in 3 years time there'll be somewhere that will take me.

Doubling down (Corbyn):

Cl59R9aWkAAqlE8.jpg:large

Kabouter

I'm not sure whether he's stating that he'd block it, or just stating the obvious.

The EU has long wanted tighter integration and a more 'federal' structure. The UK, as a member, always voted/vetoed against that.

Without the UK, the EU will likely move more rapidly towards tighter integration... in that situation the UK would probably not rejoin.

/shrug

Looks to me like few member states actually want tighter integration. Some people might, including some in Brussels. But the heads of government who represent the real power in the European Union don't seem to long for it much.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Anyone who didn't see this leading to Scotland wanting to leave the uk hasn't been paying any attention. By leaving the EU the rest of uk has pretty much removed every convincing reason the no campaign had at the time. The only big thing left is oil and the pride of being British which im sure is severely diminished now north of the border.

Not convinced that enough people would vote remain if you held the vote again this week though. It'll be interesting to see some polls come out and see how it's swung.

I wish more young people could be bothered to vote I have no idea why they wouldn't, it just seems so wasteful for such a large % of them not to bother.
I think the problem with a lot of young people is that they think they're not smart/experienced enough to make an informed decision and should leave it to their elders. Once you're a bit older and get out into the working world amongst people of all ages, you realise that stupidity goes all the way from zero to 90, and that age definitely does not equal intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom