• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be. There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment. EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down.

DxFz6ZUJRzm66pI2EKuw_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%207.gif

Boris realises he was campaigning to Leave, right? Only now does he realise that you can't actually leave without...well...leaving.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Another interesting article from David Allen Green about Article 50. Basically, our vote to leave the EU is a glorified opinion poll.

https://t.co/MuYmki6ewj

The referendum on EU membership was advisory not mandatory. It was deliberately drafted by Parliament not to have any legal consequences. (The last UK-wide referendum, on the AV voting system, did have such a binding provision, but this time Parliament chose not to include one).

As such, the result of the poll has no more legal standing than the result of a consultation exercise. It was a glorified opinion survey, and that is what Parliament intended it to be.

The result is not a “decision” for the purposes of Article 50(1) and, on this basis, the other provisions in the provision are not engaged.

Bo-Locks

The way this is shaping up I don't think we'll actually exit the EU (down to nobody having the balls to actually pull the trigger, Scotland having a veto / path to block the door, volatility in the markets scaring people in to some semblance of sense and a fresh general election within the next 11 months), but functionally this country is going to be massively diminished in virtually every conceivable way - regardless of what happens from here.

This political / market instability going to drag on for years and cause immeasurable damage and in the end will probably amount to a political net result of fuck-all.

Not that I think this will happen, but the situation we find ourselves in is crying out for a true 21st century peaceful revolution which is long overdue in this country. The very nature and makeup of the UK needs to be assessed, discussed and mapped out, wholesale. I'm talking devo-max to all regions / nations, creating an English national parliament outside London, drastically chopping Westminster down in size. getting rid of the monarchy and creating a formal constitution. Basically create a country that is actually governable from the bottom up and respects its citizens throughout.

Instead the makeup of the UK is almost certainly going to drastically change and at the same time this polymorphous entity is going to try and renegotiate itself out of the worlds largest trading block. Insanity.

But at the same time I think something like this needed to happen because without it it would just be business as usual and all the same fear, anger and frustration would inevitably explode at a later date perhaps even more dangerously.

labx

Banned
Have the Queen or king pronounced about this. It is sad how England is falling from the IRS image of everything good forge in the XX century because the two great wars. A new generation is going to grow seeing England like a xenophobic Nation, the one how turns back to its allies.

Hasney

I can totally see Boris finding something that he wouldn't get in an agreement for leaving and then just going "Right, well I tried, but we can't leave".

theaface

Oh dear Scotland, your next PM says

We had one Scotland referendum in 2014, and I do not detect any real appetite to have another one soon

Oh dear Boris, many of your backbenchers say.

You played political football with the stability of the United Kingdom on a platform of lies, effectively removed our party leader and scuttled off quietly when you realised your mistake. I do not detect any real appetite to have you as our next PM.

So Boris wants it both ways? And sounds like he doesn't know what the heck to do. Seriously? What a complete and utter tosser. And an idiot to top it all off. Is this buffoon really going to be our interim leader? Fuck this.

kharma45

Have the Queen or king pronounced about this. It is sad how England is falling from the IRS image of everything good forge in the XX century because the two great wars. A new generation is going to grow seeing England like a xenophobic Nation, the one how turns back to its allies.

We don't have a King. The queen will not be making any public statements, she's politically neutral.

avaya

The queen is very likely a little Englander

Empty

Blairs timeline might come true then.....we will be reliant on the Germans to hold the French at bay to achieve it.

fascinating that the man who hasn't been a politician in almost a decade has far and away the most sensible and coherent plan of what to do next

the leave lot are a disaster

oti

Banned
So what are the chances uk doesn't go through with brexit? Considering it'd be pretty catastrophic, I'd say pretty high

Let's think this through for a second. The UK agrees upon that invoking Art. 50 would be a historical mistake. That means they'll tell the EU that it was but a mistake.

So the UK stays inside the EU with all its special treatment. How will the other members react? Some will be relieved (Germany etc.), some will be furious (East Bloc). This will not happen.

Even Germany knows and has made it pretty clear already that there will be consequences. So the UK could lose all its special treatment but still remain a full member of the EU. This would likely be the best outcome on paper.

Underlying all of this though is the trust the UK has lost. It will take decades to regain that. Translated into EU speak that means it won't hold any important position (President of the Parliament for instance) for quite some time. Another thing is it won't get any important EU organisation inside the UK. This means it will have to stay put for some time.

It breaks my heart but I'm going to be honest, I don't think the UK will stay in the EU.

Biggzy

Yes I did.
They said it's useless just like the royal family.
I'm just saying eventhough majority voted for immigration, there are few who are pro immigration and wanted "control".

Shame that they didn't really understood that they already had control, I mean if you elect UKIP for EU parliament then they will spend most of their time berating others and causing ruckus than actually working on regulations. Now everything points to UK joining EEA and thst means we will have no power at all.

It is absolute irony that in the quest for greater sovereignty, we might actually end up with less. As I have said, no one is going to come out this happy.

I thought this was the best part was where it said the only change would not come in any great rush. I also thought the rich bashing bit at the end was a bit much considering he is not only writing in the Torygraf but was paid to do so. Boris saying you care about the poor makes you as much a fraud as Farage saying he cares about fishermen. They're just tools you're trying to use.

Also I like to see how anyone can negotiate having free movement for the one member but have everyone else subject to a balanced and humane points-based system.

So Boris is going to walk away from brexit and corbs is clearly pro brexit... Sorry jezzer you gotter go. P.s im a labour voter and pro remain and at this point labour is pulling in the wrong direction for me.

Unconfirmed Member
Blair is on another level to the current front bench politicians. Managed to explain his ideas in a simple analogy that even a simpleton will be able to understand.

Merkel's statement yesterday about there not being any need for a hasty exit does leave enough time for what Blair suggests to work. Informal negotiations could be started immediately and the 'house' we are moving into could actually be viewed. A second referendum, before Article 50 is triggered, when there is a better idea of what life outside the EU would truly be like shouldn't be something that is off the table.

Also conveniently for the member stats it would also mean the concessions Cameron negotiated for can quietly be dropped.

Plum

Yes it will be, much worse. But like the alcoholic, sometimes people need to hit rock bottom first. An atrophied mind sometimes needs a sharpe shock to get it going.

You can't however expect people to come out with positivity when they have negative minds caused by mainly negative life experiences. Sometimes spite is the only weapon people have.

Everything will just fall on deaf ears until then really. That shock might well be coming, but frankly I can see where they're coming from even if I don't agree with their conclusion.

Most of my friends are leave, but I'm not sitting around calling them thick or racist and thinking woe is me.

I try and always keep in mind that people are a process and not the finished article.

I agree somewhat. However, to use your drinking analogy, this is less a heartattack and more a car crash with 3 other people in the car. When that shock goes from something personal to something that will affect everyone around them it's frankly inexcusable to me. I'm not calling every leave voter thick and/or racist; however, I hold little sympathy for them whatsoever. I'd rather keep my sympathy for those who voted in their own interests instead of against them. Sure, it's a process, but it's the end result that counts more to me, because a lot of the time the process are just excuses.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is a fucking nightmare.

Expecting a news update any minute now that Boris Johnson has hanged himself in his office out of sheer panic.

StayDead

DxFz6ZUJRzm66pI2EKuw_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%207.gif

Boris realises he was campaigning to Leave, right? Only now does he realise that you can't actually leave without...well...leaving.

Funny thing is his campaigning is going to leave us in a worse situation that we were before. No power in the EU to change it, higher costs to trade, less money in our own country and areas will become poorer. All this at the cost of letting racists and biggots feel they have a right to spread their disgusting views.

At the end of the day the leave voters who actually wanted to leave (the non joke ones), won't even get what they wanted. This entire referendum was a farce. Hopefully we never trigger article 50 and go on as normal.

Blair is on another level to the current front bench politicians. Managed to explain his ideas in a simple analogy that even a simpleton will be able to understand.

Merkel's statement yesterday about there not being any need for a hasty exit does leave enough time for what Blair suggests to work. Informal negotiations could be started immediately and the 'house' we are moving into could actually be viewed. A second referendum, before Article 50 is triggered, when there is a better idea of what life outside the EU would truly be like shouldn't be something that is off the table.

Also conveniently for the member stats it would also mean the concessions Cameron negotiated for can quietly be dropped.
EU will pressure UK to trigger asap

theaface

I'm fucking stunned the cunt is announcing shit in his fucking column.

You shouldn't be. Word Processors don't ask tough questions. As long as he doesn't scroll down to read the comments section after he clicks post, everything is right and rosey in the world.

I can't wait to see the Conservative leadership election.

It'll be like that vault from Fallout New Vegas, where everybody campaigns against themselves as much as possible and try to win it for someone else...because getting the job is literal suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom