• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

That's exceptionally dangerous under FPTP as it splits the Remain vote while leaving UKIP to unify the leave voters.

Ideally there should be a single extremely pro-remain party.

Not needed in UK, as we have first past the post. UKIP has like 1 MP with 15 % of the vote or something.

Tories win the south, Labour take north, wales and scotland do their thing, as it always has been.

As long as all major parties manifesto is remain, then its overturned easily. Except you have Corbyn and Duncan smith saying different, it may change in a month of bad news...

Hasney

Depending on how Labour kick out Corbyn - if they can - I am not voting for Labour ever again until they actually get a proper left-winger as a leader.

Green from then on.

For me, it's Lib Dems, purely because the Greens aren't saying they would ignore the referendum result and the Lib Dems are. If the Greens do come out on a platform of keeping us in the EU, I'll take another look for sure.

nOoblet16

So who else believes Cameron used this as an opportunity to fuck over BoJo and Gove for being a pain in the ass? Afterall we all know the real reason BoJo jumped ship from Remain to Leave because he wanted number 10.

Fergie

Banned
2jIQAEh.png

741730bc91932f79445e84917f4f78e7_100_100.png

There is no Brexit, everyone calm down! Says Boris, pretty much.

I swear we'll look back at all this in a year and wonder what all this was about, as nothing will change aside from terminology.

Governing parties can do long-lasting damage themselves, even if they are kicked out eventually.

Yeah, we were lied to and betrayed. The options would be to learn from that, carry on voting for parties and in referendums which are more likely to have your interests at heart, or not vote at all and let parties get into power who don't care about you simply because of the fact you didn't vote in the first place. If you go for the second option then you have no right at all to complain about referendum and general election results which don't go in your favour. There were 1.3 million votes separating Leave and Remain, if the 18-24 group had anywhere near the same voter turnout as the older groups with 70% favouring Remain then we probably wouldn't be in this mess. All the apathy about constantly being lied to and our votes not making a difference, but in this case it would have made a massive difference.

Oh for sure, and I'm not defending the lack of turnout. But I still think it's a strong thing to consider. It's not just 'lazy young people'. It's also disenfranchised young people to. As I say, I voted, so I have all the right in the world to complain, and no one can tell me otherwise.

And I've not been that active in Politics.

'lol the financial institutions will relocate and it will take 10-20 years to maybe get back to this position we are at now, coupled with the absolute disgust from the world but C'mon guys, unite and let's fix this together'!!!

Nope. Me and my family are gone from this county if this goes ahead. We can't now but we will set a three year plan and relocate. I refuse to stay in such a closed minded place.

Thousands of years ago my ancestors travelled across Europe and the channel to settle in England. If they had the courage to do it then I certainly can too... only in reverse.

liquidtmd

Banned
So what are the chances uk doesn't go through with brexit? Considering it'd be pretty catastrophic, I'd say pretty high

Since Free movements inevitability is now being publicised by the Leave camp, it would be complete fucking stupidity to invoke Article 50 on many Leavers beliefs.

But stupidity we apparently have plenty of

Nordicus

See if the Remain campaign had used their nous then stuff like this -

Cl332sAWEAA_InN.jpg:large

Would of been an incredibly effective way of showing why the Leave campaigns focus on immigration was a load of bollocks and I'm pretty sure you could find countless examples of stuff just like this.
It's fine, UK will get new doctors with the renewed funding their Universities wil- OH

SomTervo

SlickShoes said:
I wish more young people could be bothered to vote I have no idea why they wouldn't, it just seems so wasteful for such a large % of them not to bother.

Yeah, i dont get it at all. I've been voting since I was 18 (8 years ago) and I don't know a single person of ny age group who doesn't vote. And it's so easy to do. Where the fuck are these apathetics and why?

Hasney

I doubt we will have a GE. 2/3 of parliament would have to vote for it.

Some of the political commenters are expecting it, saying the Tories will probably back it if their leader does because they don't see Labour coming back at them anyway. After Gordon Brown, they know how much they'd need a public vote on them for their leader to be accepted and have a chance of being more than a part-term PM.

nOoblet16

For me, it's Lib Dems, purely because the Greens aren't saying they would ignore the referendum result and the Lib Dems are. If the Greens do come out on a platform of keeping us in the EU, I'll take another look for sure.
Caroline Lucas is a leader who looks strong, LibDem... I dont even know who their leader is.
It's a shame Greens don't have the political image to be leaders. Everyone thinks they are environmentalist nutjobs.

Pandy

Why? He's pro-Brexit, Labour needs to be the main force in favor of remaining in the EU.

I mean, I'm all for some miracle opposing candidate to appear that can unite the party and the country behind them, but we already know the parliamentary Labour party doesn't have such an individual right now.

bosseye

No. I will move abroad - either to Scotland with my fiancé whose Scottish, or elsewhere. I don't think you quite understand how astonishingly deep these feelings go. I've been active in politics for some time, and I have never felt this way before - nor the people I know.

I absolutely will not, under any circumstance, with the bastards who did this to my country and my future. There is no unity to be had.

No, I get it. I totally understand your postition and you're obviously not alone feeling as you do.

I think my feelings stem from the fact that ultimately, no one can properly predict how everything will turn out. We can make all kinds of educated assumptions (positive and negative), but until the actual deals are done, the myriad threads disentangled, other global forces fatored in that may not become apparent until a year down the line, 2 years down the line, whatever; we can't possibly know how things will turn out. Thus my natural optimism reasserts itself. I like to think that the hysteria (I don't mean that in a derogatory sense and its not aimed at you) will ultimately die down and a more measured, rational approach about what form Leave will actually take over the years will come to the fore. Merkel's comments have been interesting on this.

Audioboxer

Oh we will leave, but keep access to single market, free movement, payments to EU continue, but have no influence. Sounds like a real good deal......

What we really want is a shittier EU deal than what we currently have... Great idea!

And yeah we are going to leave, Cameron's dead body can only stall for 3 months.

Our relationship with the EU has been scorched and the handling of everything post brexit isn't just going to fly as "we dun goofed EU, just ignore us".

Biggzy

I know quite a few who voted leave but not because of freedom of movement and they dislike Farage. Their reasoning being they think EU was too undemocratic and full of bloat.

I hope you pointed out the House of Lords for a starters? And I know quite a few and all they cared about were immigrants and refugees. I am not saying there are a group of people who believe the EU is un-democratic but do you honesty believe that kept 17,000,000 people up at night? If that was the case, we would have got rid of stuff like FPTP and the House of Lords years ago.

Fergie

Banned
Yeah, i dont get it at all. I've been voting since I was 18 (8 years ago) and I don't know a single person of ny age group who doesn't vote. And it's so easy to do. Where the fuck are these apathetics and why?

It's mental and I hope some have recognised the can't be apathetic from now on.

What we really want is a shittier EU deal than what we currently have... Great idea!

And yeah we are going to leave, Cameron's dead body can only stall for 3 months.

Our relationship with the EU has been scorched and the handling of everything post brexit isn't just going to fly as "we dun goofed EU, just ignore us".

Boris has royally fucked this up, that's clear from his article, he knows it.

You can't take what Boris says as a sign of what Britain will be like post-Brexit. He likely won't be leading anything and no negotiations have taken place.

The article is just a result of one of his fever dreams.

avaya

Expand your social circle. My ex was a non voter all she cared about was clubbing and looking cool. I've met many people like that. More interested in the kardashians than the running of their own country.

kharma45

Some of the political commenters are expecting it, saying the Tories will probably back it if their leader does because they don't see Labour coming back at them anyway. After Gordon Brown, they know how much they'd need a public vote on them for their leader to be accepted and have a chance of being more than a part-term PM.

Good point. Brown used to get hammered about not winning a GE.

Empty

he wants free movement for british workers and free trade but also a "balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry."

hahahahaha

that's not a plan that's a child writing and asking santa for a yacht

All of this will still be true after Brexit, in fact it will be worse. They have now completely and irreversibly signed this country over to the Tories, the same elites who had fucked them over time and time again. Being poor is not an excuse for ignorance-led spite fueling your actions. Both political sides of the debate were just as bad, but the leave side just knew how to tap into that ignorance as their entire campaign was based on lies and half-truths instead of the "experts telling us what to do" on remain's side.

Yes it will be, much worse. But like the alcoholic, sometimes people need to hit rock bottom first. An atrophied mind sometimes needs a sharpe shock to get it going.

You can't however expect people to come out with positivity when they have negative minds caused by mainly negative life experiences. Sometimes spite is the only weapon people have.

Everything will just fall on deaf ears until then really. That shock might well be coming, but frankly I can see where they're coming from even if I don't agree with their conclusion.

Most of my friends are leave, but I'm not sitting around calling them thick or racist and thinking woe is me.

I try and always keep in mind that people are a process and not the finished article.

I also believe a large percentage of the population are purposely "groomed" to be this way.

I guess Boris has decided to go for what little of the premiership is available to him now.

Blair royally fucked up with the war, but in all honesty those were the times. Not trying to be a Blair apologist because I hate the new labour that he created. The labour today even under Corby's liberal stance is a much worse labour because of the fact that it's filled with Blairites when it should have been full of Bennites.

Despite that the guy is on another level and he knows exactly what's going on. Even Brown is better than any politician out there today.
It's funny, a lot of people I speak to (including conservatives) seem to agree that other than the ugly, ugly war side of things that he's rightly reviled for, he was pretty decent domestically.

Tak3n

Banned
Oh dear Scotland, your next PM says

We had one Scotland referendum in 2014, and I do not detect any real appetite to have another one soon

Hey so, how are we going to convince those 52% that a brexit would actually be a terrible idea without having the entire country coming apart at the seams?

nOoblet16

I hope you pointed out the House of Lords for a starters? And I know quite a few and all they cared about were immigrants and refugees. I am not saying there are a group of people who believe the EU is un-democratic but do you honesty believe that kept 17,000,000 people up at night? If that was the case, we would have got rid of stuff like FPTP and the House of Lords years ago.
Yes I did.
They said it's useless just like the royal family.
I'm just saying eventhough majority voted for immigration, there are few who are pro immigration and wanted "control".

Shame that they didn't really understood that they already had control, I mean if you elect UKIP for EU parliament then they will spend most of their time berating others and causing ruckus than actually working on regulations. Now everything points to UK joining EEA and thst means we will have no power at all.

And he is jumping the gun a bit, as negotiations have not started yet.

True but we need that trade access or we go bust, simple really. He knows this and is preparing folk for the bad news which will follow in two years or so. Free movement or no trade, economy destroyed or freedom of movement, guess what chaps we are free we have single market access but we still have free market movement, wow great deal.

Audioboxer

So basically Boris does support the EU. What a cunt.

Everyone already knew that. He was being an opportunistic cunt hedging that remain would win.

Playing with a population of a country like that is seriously dark.

Like life threatening to the people you're suppose to protect and fight for.

Moosichu

So basically Boris does support the EU. What a cunt.

Well, that's been plain as day since he first joined the leave campaign. He's a complete and utter wanker.

A Boris Johnson story I heard from an awesome comedian:

This comedian was at the Paralympics, hyping up a cloud for the torch relay. Practising countdowns for when the torch drew close. Now, a bit behind schedule, the torch bearer, an individual with Cerebral Palsy was approaching and was 100m away. Boris Johnson, realising he wasn't the centre of attention, grabbed the microphone from said comedian and shouted "10!".

Depending on how Labour kick out Corbyn - if they can - I am not voting for Labour ever again until they actually get a proper left-winger as a leader.

Green from then on.

It's that attitude that gave the Conservatives a majority in the last election. In a national election (without PR) you are wasting your vote and handing seats to the tories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom