• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
People were giving the same level of confidence and assumed that the UK would be reasonable in its vote.

2016 is the year of the cosmic joker.

Well, no, that's not how this works.

People were reasonably certain, giving the polling, that this was a likely scenario. Just like how Trump was leading the polling in the Republican primary polls for almost the entire primary, but we just ignored them because THAT CAN'T BE HAPPENING LALALA!

Now, Trump is down by a staggering 6.6% (much more than Romney was down at this point) at a time when polling is becoming more and more predictive. It's a lazy and useless analysis to scream "anything can happen!!!"

Jezbollah

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 3m3 minutes ago
414 days ago David Cameron became the first Tory leader to win a majority in 23 years. In 6 minutes time I understand he is resigning.

We aren't going to be negotiating with businessmen but politicians. The French and German governments cannot allow their own anti-EU sentiment to rise in their own country which will happen if Britain flourishes outside the EU.

Expect any trade deal to include freedom of movement of labour.

Yep. What I'm also curious about is how this will be reported in mass media? The lack of reform is really coming home to roost now.

Seen this image floating around on twitter, don't know how likely its ever to happen, but honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was what it turned out to end up like within the next 10 or 20 years.

Unl0Y1g.jpg

Not Wales, but can see the rest happening (or NI becoming entirely independent).

cabot

I'd love to hear from EuroGAF their opinions on the likelihood of:

- the end of the UK, with Ireland, Scotland, or both leaving

While I do think now the chances of Yes vote in a second indy referendum is pretty likely, it would be foolish to do it so soon. Scotland have had 4 major votes in the past two years, we're getting burned out here. Also couple that with the fact Sturgeon knows if they lose this referendum then the book is shut for a hell of a long time, she has said before she wants consistent Yes polling at 60% for a number of months before pushing a referendum.

I think Sturgeon will try to make the best of a bad situation currently, she doesn't need to do much else. If the Tories have Johnson as leader with Farage in cabinet, that'll do the damage. They're both loathed up here by the majority of the populace.

I'd say a referendum around 2020 with a push starting maybe late next year or 2018. In the meantime, Sturgeon will do her best to negotiate Scotland being a member of the EU in the result of a yes vote.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Think of the economy like a home-budget. You've got groceries, electricity, etc. This is a pretty common ol' folksy metaphor a lot of politicians like to use. What's happened here, is that the UK just asked for a divorce, and the UK hopes the EU doesn't try and take the house.

The US's huge diversity and polarization that causes minorities and liberal whites to band together against the Republicans make it extremely unlikely for the GOP to win the presidency this go around.

The so-called left claiming there's no way so-called right will make people vote something, and then the so-called right going and making people vote it is exactly what happened in UK though, and I hear some comparisons with other elections on the continent. So I would watch that "extremely".

Arksy

Isn't this like one of the very first things that was debunked throughout this campaign and has been made extremely clear that it's not true..

It's 350 million pounds a week gross, and yes that is the number, but we get some of that back in a rebate. It's a smaller figure gross. I don't think it's misleading to quote the gross figure though.

daveo42

Banned
Excellent, well done brexiters. And fuck everyone who just thinks half the country are nothing more than racists. Fuck all of you.

Please explain to us why this is good for the UK? I need to understand how worries over immigration and nationality matter in a global market.

mid83

One interesting point is how this vote seems to show that this anti establishment thing we've seen in the US primaries is a real thing outside of the US as well.

I see a lot of parallels between this and Trump, including the fact that if he were to win, I wouldn't be surprised to see comments by him and his staff that's lots of the campaign promises were BS (the wall, bringing back millions of jobs etc...). I feel bad for the Leave voters who are already seeing backtracking on apparently major issues that people voted on.

sphagnum

Banned
ロックマン;208199748 said:
Let us free ourselves of the false song of globalism. I want peace and prosperity between NATIONS, not evil empires calling themselves "unions".

We can live in an international world of trade, travel, and peace. Nation States are the key to prosperity. You can take what good there is out of the EU, without the EU and rid Europe of the rest of it.

Fear has been instilled into so many, especially the youth into thinking the world is better off with globalism. Is cultural degradation, complete inequality of nations, less freedom, and forced policies really the superior way? Giant multinationals raping the working class of the world and nations are the solution?

We are better than this. Please research the evil of globalism and wake up. I want a peaceful and prosperous world just like many of you who disagree with me on this issue.

Go back to /pol/

The way the market is panicking, I think muscling in is a good idea at this minute. Need to put down a few thousand on some banks me thinks, get some return on the panic.

Jesus fucking christ. Jesus fucking christ.

I'm out, I just can't do this anymore.

You can vote however you like, but jesus. fucking. christ.

Yeeeup, I'm out.

As a US citizen who is fully aware of just what far-right government parties are capable of, I can't right now.

This is going to be tough for you EU, and certainly more tough than 350 million a week. Which last I heard was a made up number but that's okay, because you're independent now.

Best of luck, y'all are going to need it.

Anyone know a good place to watch this shitshow from an unbiased news perspective? Economics based would be preferable.

A site that I could check up on each day to see how things are going for the next year or so would be nice.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Cameron soon

Rumour of resignation according to BBC

JoeM86

Leave better hope Cameron doesn't leave. If he says he intends to resign its going to send a whole separate shockwave behind the one that is ripping through England right now

Indeed. We need to carry on as normal as much as possible. How the public act now is what will determine whether or not we'll fall into turmoil/recession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom