• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Not my opinion just the kind of stuff I see thrown at her from angry mobs.

She does rock some classy outfits with matching heels. Girl likes flashing dem legs.

She looks good enough, better than most politicians

Lj19FSA.jpg

*Splinter

Leave camp still accounts for 17 million people. That's a sizeable amount of people that will feel betrayed, and god knows how much more leverage that gives far right groups.
SNP also would rather be independent than be part of the EU if it had the choose, if they don't block it, they get both. So there is no reason for SNP to block it really.
Is that true? It's the first time I've seen it suggested?

Just realised I read it as Scotland rather than SNP, but still

have sturgeon veto the result of the referendum in Scottish parliament, have Westminster go along with it, scots get a win-win by exercising their power and remaining in the eu.

Westminster gets a win-win-win by keeping the union, staying in the eu, and lessening the blow to leave voters and democracy

job done lads

Short term yes but wouldnt that probably cause a giant boost in UKIP and extreme right wing support come the next election?

Undoing this mess is probably political suicide for whoever does it but I guess its one of those "for the greater good" moments. Not sure any of the current lot actually have to fortitude to go along with that though.

Tomorrow should be fun anyway.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What if the EU are doing this for the right reasons .

They make what's left of the UK and EEA keep free movement to show they are forward thinking . Do not tears family's apart safeguard EU citizens in the UK. And UK Citizens in the EU (Scotland get fast tracked EU membership)

Compromise on the leave /Remain deal. Get some banks but not all create a few. More finance hubs .

Allow England trade with the EU and vice versa but also as an EEA England can trade with the world too and it doesn't tank the UK (Making them look like the bad guys)

England leave happy, (because England has turned into an old relative who has had a bit of breakdown but is always handy to have access to as despite the lack judgement they are currently , bit like chuck from better call Saul) the EU showing rationality and not the controlling overlords (that some people like to claim). So people wont vote to leave. Leaves EU to call the shots and England will be too busy elsewhere trying to get new trade and as EEA the EU can benefit .

Plum

Someone on my facebook feed had posted it. He seems to have deleted it, because it's not on his wall. Maybe it was bad info.

I wouldn't trust Facebook feeds right now. LOTS of bullshit being posted on them.

EDIT: Actually, I never trust Facebook feeds unless it's just a repost from a credible source.

Hasney

Short term yes but wouldnt that probably cause a giant boost in UKIP and extreme right wing support come the next election?

Undoing this mess is probably political suicide for whoever does it but I guess its one of those "for the greater good" moments. Not sure any of the current lot actually have to fortitude to go along with that though.

Tomorrow should be fun anyway.

I don't think that's going anywhere now they believe they can win things. Britain First said that UKIP had done well and now it was time for them to run with the baton. Something needs to be done about them regardless of what happens in the future.

Audioboxer

Doubt those leave voters like Scotland anyway.
And doubt Scotland cares what England in particular thinks.

If we remain part of the UK we kind of do. It sucks enough already being the little brother who gets shunted at the debate table. Believe it or not we don't want to piss the English off, it's always been London and the Tory parties we have our beef with.

We don't vote them in but have to put up with them. A big reason lots of Scots support the idea of independence.

iNvid02

Leave camp still accounts for 17 million people. That's a sizeable amount of people that will feel betrayed, and god knows how much more leverage that gives far right groups.
SNP also would rather be independent than be part of the EU if it had the choose, if they don't block it, they get both. So there is no reason for SNP to block it really.

cameron heads to brussels with hat in hand and says he will fix this, they just have to do 1 thing - offer scotland a terrible deal for independent membership, that brings sturgeon in line with the plan, she seems like a logical person anyway.

sound fam

probably, but maybe they decide its worth the risk to save the UK

Hasney

If we remain part of the UK we kind of do. It sucks enough already being the little brother who gets shunted at the debate table. Believe it or not we don't want to piss the English off, it's always been London and the Tory parties we have our beef with.

We don't vote them in but have to put up with them.

And now, weirdly, London is the place you have most in common.

Pandy

Someone on my facebook feed had posted it. He seems to have deleted it, because it's not on his wall. Maybe it was bad info. Sorry.

It'll have to go before the Scottish Parliament before it's announced. No way the info is good.
Being generous, there may be a confirmation of the motion that they'll put it before the parliament, but I think it's too early for that when Westminster still haven't cleaned themselves up after shitting the bed over the weekend.

Alienfan

To be fair having anxieties about immigration doesn't automatically make you raciest, there's genuine reasons to be concerned, like the people who are in need the most not getting prioritised or is the government actually able to ensure security/financial stability to those moving in that go beyond the welfare system - successful assimilation seems like a very complex task, and seeing that collectively the EU hasn't done the greatest job, would this be a reasonable position to take as a leave voter?

Haven't lived in the UK in 10years, so I haven't been keeping up with the politics - just trying to gauge if there's reasonable points for a leave voter who had concerns about immigration, but weren't raciest.

Plum

Believe it or not we don't want to piss the English off, it's always been London and the Tory parties we have our beef with.

So you're telling me that Willie from The Simpsons is not accurate of all Scots out there? Do you realize how big of a revelation this is? Everything I know is wrong.

pigeon

Banned
There is no veto.
All Scotland can do is drag a debate slowly the through Holyrood, report back to London they strongly oppose Brexit and then Parliament overturns that because that's one of the powers they still have.

This assumes Parliament wants to leave the EU. It's pretty clear they do not.

Alx

I have the feeling Boris will be forgotten (unless he becomes PM) and Cameron will go down in history as the man who threw an entire nation into a volcano. It's Tekken is what I'm trying to say. Who's the bear.

I wouldn't have imagined that two days ago, but I think the most sensible thing to do (if your politicians had a spine and a minimum of integrity) is to have them commit political suicide for the sake of everybody else. Admit that it was all a mistake, that they lied and manipulated everybody for their own agenda, cancel the Brexit and disappear never to be seen again. All of them are done anyway, whatever the follow-up (EU, EEA or UK on its own), could as well keep the statu quo and avoid most of the bad consequences.
I must admit that as a French European, I think that UK as EEA member instead of EU member may be more beneficial for us, but it's definitely not an improvement for UK.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
To be fair having anxieties about immigration doesn't automatically make you raciest, there's genuine reasons to be concerned, like the people who are in need the most not getting prioritised or is the government actually able to ensure security/financial stability to those moving in that go beyond the welfare system - successful assimilation seems like a very complex task, and seeing that collectively the EU hasn't done the greatest job, would this be a reasonable position to take as a leave voter?

Haven't lived in the UK in 10years, just trying to gauge if there's reasonable points for a leave voter who had concerns about immigration, but weren't raciest.

Areas that have the highest immigration (like London) voted heavily for remain. They also happened to be the more affluent areas. Whilst areas with the lowest level of immigration, and the highest level of EU funding poured in to them voted leave.

There is no basis for concern to have about immigration. Seems to me that there should be more immigration if anything.

Kathian

Banned
I have the feeling Boris will be forgotten (unless he becomes PM) and Cameron will go down in history as the man who threw an entire nation into a volcano. It's Tekken is what I'm trying to say. Who's the bear.

Nope. The Conservative party will take the brunt. Equally. They won't get a majority at the next election and I doubt they'll be the largest party.

*Splinter

Areas that have the highest immigration (like London) voted heavily for remain. They also happened to be the more affluent areas. Whilst areas with the lowest level of immigration, and the highest level of EU funding poured in to them voted leave.

There is no basis for concern to have about immigration. Seems to me that there should be more immigration if anything.
To be fair, I'm sure that there are a large number of people voting Leave due to being misinformed about immigration.

But otherwise yes, I don't know of any argument against immigration that isn't based in either misinformation or xenophobia (and if there is one I'd genuinely like to hear it, but this has always gone unanswered).

Mr. Sam

You'll notice that the promises about immigration were some of the first that Leave peddled back on because they know that immigration is an economic necessity and the country will stagnate without it, and without free movement.

jm89

I wouldn't have imagined that two days ago, but I think the most sensible thing to do (if your politicians had a spine and a minimum of integrity) is to have them commit political suicide for the sake of everybody else. Admit that it was all a mistake, that they lied and manipulated everybody for their own agenda, cancel the Brexit and disappear never to be seen again. All of them are done anyway, whatever the follow-up (EU, EEA or UK on its own), could as well keep the statu quo and avoid most of the bad consequences.
I must admit that as a French European, I think that UK as EEA member instead of EU member may be more beneficial for us, but it's definitely not an improvement for UK.

Cameron should do this at least go down fighting. The brexit has already tarnished his reputation as PM so he might as well give one last fuck you before he steps down.

heidern

Pound down in early trading

The pound has fallen in early trading in Asia on Monday, adding to Friday's record one-day decline.

Sterling was trading at $1.3443, down more than 2% from Friday's close. Against the euro it was trading at €1.2165, down 1.3%.

Jeremy Cook, chief economist at World First, said: "We are still looking for another 10% fall for the pound against the dollar in the coming months as data confirms the economic slowdown and monetary policy expectations increase."

Stock markets also plunged on Friday, with more than $2tn (£1.5tn) wiped off the value of global stock markets, according to Standard and Poor's Dow Jones Indices.

That was the biggest one-day loss in market value - even greater than the value wiped out following the collapse of Lehman Brothers during the 2008 financial crisis, Standard and Poor's calculated.

You'll notice that the promises about immigration were some of the first that Leave peddled back on because they know that immigration is an economic necessity and the country will stagnate without it, and without free movement.

Yeah take away migrants economy falls apart, I guess they actually decided to check some facts. Even the strawberries need picked, muppets should have known this from day one.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So Johnson wants freedom of movement for Brits in the EU - but controls for non-Brits coming to UK and single market access.

Yeah sure, that's sounds realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom