• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Just back from work, any big developments I miss?

Salmond doing better work

oW3H5ao.png

Chvrches <3

Chvrches ^_^ <3

Mr. Sam

Yeah take away migrants economy falls apart, I guess they actually decided to check some facts. Even the strawberries need picked, muppets should have known this from day one.

They did. Say what you will about Boris and Gove, they're not stupid. As duplicitous as the day is long, but not stupid.

Yes, I think most are aware of their current status - they are considering it, but it's more complex than just that, it has to go through parliament.

It won't happen so soon, even Tories were reluctant today to say no, in the end if support for indy grows the government will grant the Scots it's wish. Scottish secretary said as much today. I think 2020 election will start the race to the next referendum, no point rushing.

StayDead

LOL if he were really in favor of Leave he would be very pleased with a 4% majority on a highly controversial referendum.

This straw haired tub of shit sold his country out on behalf of a referendum he didn't even actually want to win.

As Alliastor Campbell said today. Gove and Johnson didn't want to win. They wanted a small majority loss to weaken cameron. They have no idea what to do now.

chadskin

The EU is preparing to move its European Banking Authority from London following Britain’s vote to leave the bloc, Reuters reports - citing EU officials. It sets up a race led by Paris and Frankfurt to host the regulator.

159 employees as of 2014.

If we remain part of the UK we kind of do. It sucks enough already being the little brother who gets shunted at the debate table. Believe it or not we don't want to piss the English off, it's always been London and the Tory parties we have our beef with.

We don't vote them in but have to put up with them. A big reason lots of Scots support the idea of independence.
If Scotland leaves England will likely never have a left wing/liberal/labour government again. For England's sake I task you not to go, but if you do scan you make room for me North of the border?

Alienfan

To be fair, I'm sure that there are a large number of people voting Leave due to being misinformed about immigration.

But otherwise yes, I don't know of any argument against immigration that isn't based in either misinformation or xenophobia (and if there is one I'd genuinely like to hear it, but this has always gone unanswered).

Agree, but my original question was is there a possible stance someone could take that isn't misinformed, but they voted leave in hopes that the UK would have more control over immigration? Control not necessarily a bad thing, ie: prioritising true refugees/people in need the most from people abusing the system. This stance being someone who isn't against immigration, but thinks the current EU immigration laws could be better.

Or did being in the EU not really impose any type of immigration requirements/restrictions?

Kathian

Banned
I just can't see where growth comes from. Consumption might rise with Brexiters getting jolly but people are going to worry about doing anything. Housing market will likely stall in next two months and business investment will die a bit month by month.

heidern

The problem with what the politicians should do is that on the one hand they have the nation's best interest to consider and on the other hand(the one they stab each other on the back with) they have their their career and status to consider while on the third hand(the one they stab you in the back with) they have their parties interest to consider.

Cameron, Boris, Corbyn and the Blairites should all put the national interest first but to do so puts their parties at risk of implosion. Of course the problem with imploding mainstream parties is that it also risks an extreme right wing party gaining ascendancy(like UKIP).

*Splinter

I just can't see where growth comes from. Consumption might rise with Brexiters getting jolly but people are going to worry about doing anything. Housing market will likely stall in next two months and business investment will die a bit month by month.
We'll sell cakes to the French

Glutinous, delicious cakes

The EU is preparing to move its European Banking Authority from London following Britain&#8217;s vote to leave the bloc, Reuters reports - citing EU officials. It sets up a race led by Paris and Frankfurt to host the regulator
159 employees as of 2014.
Anybody thinking that EU will allow UK to retain their bank passport is delusional. Maybe there will be a transitional period of 2-3 years but thats it

Calabi

As Alliastor Campbell said today. Gove and Johnson didn't want to win. They wanted a small majority loss to weaken cameron. They have no idea what to do now.

I bet the only plan their coming up with is how to get out of this and pretend it was all just a joke.

The risk-reward for business investment has to be of the charts to be viable. I don't see why anyone wanna invest in anything within the uk.

nOoblet16

Anybody thinking that EU will allow UK to retain their bank passport is delusional. Maybe there will be a transitional period of 2-3 years but thats it

What do you mean by banking passport?
Allowing banks to operate freely regardless of borders?

If so then UK needs to be in EEA and that's about it, there is no way EU won't let UK into the EEA if UK wants that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Read it.

So.. he's not gonna do it lol

If he does this no ukip needed as we left the EU as it were . EU not a monolithic destroyer of countries and all the time they negotiate this behind the scenes cameron and Johnson are scolded like naughty school kids by Merkel??

Undoing this mess is probably political suicide for whoever does it but I guess its one of those "for the greater good" moments. Not sure any of the current lot actually have to fortitude to go along with that though.

They should get Jeremy Hunt. Might even paradoxically result in a net-gain in popularity for him.

Audioboxer

If Scotland leaves England will likely never have a left wing/liberal/labour government again. For England's sake I task you not to go, but if you do scan you make room for me North of the border?

Sadly we're useless at helping you. When Labour was doing fairly well up here we could help against the Tory party down South. Since the SNP starting cleaning up up here we do nothing to tip the balance any direction for England.

I like Corbyn and wish him all the best at reshuffling the Labour party and giving it a go. The Conservatives I fear are dead for a while, they keep shuffling in absolutely terrible leaders all cut from the same cloth.

The irony is the name of a party means nothing to me. I'd happily vote Conservative if the party ever got its act together and kicked the obsession with London elites. Wish a party like the SNP but for England could exist. The ENP lol. Sadly what you've spawned down there isn't a left leaning social party with England's best interests at heart but UKIP....

I wouldn't call myself a leftist at the end of the day, but more someone in the middle with some left leaning tendencies. I don't think careering off to the extreme of either end brings about much good.

PS. I'm fortifying my spare rooms for a GAF hideout for recovering English-GAF.

Agree, but my original question was is there a possible stance someone could take that isn't misinformed, but they voted leave in hopes that the UK would have more control over immigration? Control not necessarily a bad thing, ie: prioritising true refugees/people in need the most from people abusing the system. This stance being someone who isn't against immigration, but thinks the current EU immigration laws could be better.

Or did being in the EU not really impose any type of immigration requirements/restrictions?

The only requirement is that EU citizens get the freedom of movement. Third countries are up to national laws. There is Schengen which abolishes intracommunity border control (which is moot for an island anyway). There is Dublin that sends refugees back to the border states

Interesting that Von der Leyen is getting so much air time. Maybe the CDU is prepping her to follow Merkel at some point?

BTW: They're talking a lot about vacuum cleaners.

Von der Leyen as chancellor? May god have mercy on our souls...

I wouldn't mind her becoming president though, because her political input would be reduced to having dinners with other head of states and waving at the camera.

nOoblet16

In the midst of all this, few working class people realise that the blood sucking bankers they hate so much along with the city of London is the reason why UK is a powerful economy and it loses that leverage if the financial service sector cannot operate freely.

It won't happen so soon, even Tories were reluctant today to say no, in the end if support for indy grows the government will grant the Scots it's wish. Scottish secretary said as much today. I think 2020 election will start the race to the next referendum, no point rushing.
The problem for Scotland is they want to do a deal with the EU pre-Brexit, which would mean referendum and breakup before Brexit is complete.

Personally I don't think it'll work out that smoothly for them.

A post brexit breakup would mean leaving the EU under Brexit and then applying to rejoin as an independent nation. That could take a whole lot longer.

Interesting that Von der Leyen is getting so much air time. Maybe the CDU is prepping her to follow Merkel at some point?

BTW: They're talking a lot about vacuum cleaners.

I wouldn't mind her becoming president though, because her political input would be reduced to having dinners with other head of states and waving at the camera.

I thought it was well known that she is Merkel's heir apparent? What a twist that would be if she took over during negotiations...

What do you mean by banking passport?
Allowing banks to operate freely regardless of borders?

If so then UK needs to be in EEA and that's about it, there is no way EU won't let UK into the EEA if UK wants that.

Banking passport means a bank needs only one license in a memberstate to provide services in the whole union. A lot of foreign banks and other financial service providers have their licenses in UK and will loose their licenses to provide such services to EU if UK gets out.

Its a pipe dream to think EU will allow London to stay the european financial centre. Even if a EEA deal gets through the passport will be carved out.

Better than Markus Söder

Personally id like Steinmeier but he blew it

I look forward to reading the history books on this. Its gonna be the craziest 2 years of EU and UK politics and in the end no one will be happy.

Could anyone more knowledgable than me answer this...lets say BoJo becomed PM after a General Election and falls on his political sword, teaming up with Merkel and Co to massively reform the EU and not leave. UKIP sees a rise in support, the major parties have to do a New Labour and rebrand...would a second go around be unfeasible because it woulf be an economic clusterfuck for a while and our systems built with the aid of the EU are too important to be negated (free movement etc)?

Tldr: if we don't leave for whatever reason would another referendum be possible but unrealistic to succeed?

Also whats the best relatively non bias newspaper in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom