• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
What am I reading on here? Respect for Cameron because he outplayed his rivals? He gambled with the future of his nation and lost.

cormack12

Gold Member
Can see it now, England will stumble past Iceland in the euros, end up playing France (and maybe) Germany and it will be presented as a metaphor for England versus the EU. Johnson will jump on the media to portray it like this, hoping it unites the country to stick it to the EU publicly. We'll fail, lose 4-0 and be embarrassed, exiting the competition with our tails between our legs after being slapped all over the place.

Then we'll have British Bulldog pictures in the tabloids saying were free and can look forward without the shadow of these European nations looming over us.....

Good ole British predictability.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Farageposter.jpg

bubububu he wasn't part of the official Leave campaign

Zaph

Guys.

I've been away for about 8 hours. Anything to update me on? Any interesting articles or stuff I should know? Thank ya!

Long story short - all the Tories have bottled it and gone to ground, Boris backtracking already and sounds like a pro-Remain supporter, and Labour continues its omnishambles.

Alx

He's a bastard but that play was marvelous, no one has the balls to trigger article 50 it seems. And people were laughing at dodgy Dave's resignation the other day but really he had the last laugh.

It may be a clever move for its own purpose, but it's also one that puts UK in more trouble due to the long transition and lack of leadership. It's sacrificing the country for a chess move.

Didnt they say they want to leave? Now they want to stay?

They mostly want to disagree with EU apparently. Maybe there is a way to have UK remain indefinitely, provided someone keep asking "are you leaving yet ?" every month...

I wonder what will happen when MPs vote on it. That's the bit that's being forgotten about.
Anything other than accepting the will of the people will reflect badly on them when they next face the ballot box.

It's not something that has been forgotten at all. Westminster has been snookered.

TrueBlue

What am I reading on here? Respect for Cameron because he outplayed his rivals? He gambled with the future of his nation and lost.

The fact that this referendum was basically a proxy leadership battle is horrific.

They - Johnson and Cameron - both played the nation, and the nation will continue to lose.

Scottish independence poll:
Yes: 49% (+5)
No: 42% (-5)
(via Survation / 25 Jun)
Chgs. from April.

Big changes already and that's before Boris is PM.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, I don't think a second referendum resolves the fundamental issue that having a referendum at all was incredibly stupid.

The entire point of representative democracy, which you arguably invented, was to ensure that there's still a filter between the mob and the world. That's what professional politicians are for, to take a set of generally unreasonable and contradictory desires and identify actually feasible plans and goals that will have mainstream support as opposed to 51% support.

It shouldn't be lost on anybody after the events of the last few days that if you removed the politicians who were pretending to support Leave but really just wanted more negotiating with the EU, the total number of MPs that really genuinely wanted to leave is probably around one.* Because leaving the EU is a stupid and terrible idea! But both saying "well the voters were uneducated" and saying "well even if it's wrong they voted for it" are not good responses to the issue. The issue is that it's unreasonable to expect the average British person to understand all the details of the question of EU membership enough to make a reasonable decision. The average British person, unlike the average MP, has a real job to do. They can't spend their whole day studying up.

Fundamentally the issue you're now grappling with is that setting this question to the general public at all was incredibly dumb. Literally the reason you have Parliament at all is to ensure shit like that doesn't happen.*

* And his name is Jeremy Corbyn.
** I mean, also to ensure that the Queen doesn't take unreasonable advantage of the royal forests, I guess, but controlling the mob is like job two at the very least.

kharma45

(via Survation / 25 Jun)
Chgs. from April.

I saw one earlier that put yes at 52%. Still not enough for sturgeon to be sure of a win, and she won't call it if she can't win it.

Why are we talking as if Boris has to be PM? Can't the conservatives just choose someone else who is willing to enact article 50?
I saw one earlier that put yes at 52%. Still not enough for sturgeon to be sure of a win, and she won't call it if she can't win it.
Obviously winning is important but the situation has changed. There is a limited time frame between now and the UK's exit of the EU. So she probably wants to call it before that day to avoid having to apply for membership.

Depending on how Labour kick out Corbyn - if they can - I am not voting for Labour ever again until they actually get a proper left-winger as a leader.

Green from then on.

We can really play this 'no true Scotsman' game forever, can't we? Naivity like this is why our country is tobogganing towards Gomorrah.

Anything other than accepting the will of the people will reflect badly on them when they next face the ballot box.

It's not something that has been forgotten at all. Westminster has been snookered.

If you consider leaving a real option. Otherwise get to fucking work and revert that ASAP.

One things for sure, it has shown how incompetent the UK government really is, what a total shit show.

This highlights one reason I don't normally vote, because I don't trust any MP, they are all lying, rich idiots and have shown it here in a big way.

But whoever comes in to fix this mess has got a hell of a job on their hands now. Hopefully someone will step up to the challenge and have some balls to make changes and the right deals that will make it better for the UK people now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And UK having no say in the EU
We didn't anyway, despite paying a higher contribution (over 6b more) than most countries that do.
We was one of the bigger contributors but our vote means nothing.
And I didn't vote leave either, but I can understand why people would.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I mean, I don't think a second referendum resolves the fundamental issue that having a referendum at all was incredibly stupid.

The entire point of representative democracy, which you arguably invented, was to ensure that there's still a filter between the mob and the world. That's what professional politicians are for, to take a set of generally unreasonable and contradictory desires and identify actually feasible plans and goals that will have mainstream support as opposed to 51% support.

It shouldn't be lost on anybody after the events of the last few days that if you removed the politicians who were pretending to support Leave but really just wanted more negotiating with the EU, the total number of MPs that really genuinely wanted to leave is probably around one.* Because leaving the EU is a stupid and terrible idea! But both saying "well the voters were uneducated" and saying "well even if it's wrong they voted for it" are not good responses to the issue. The issue is that it's unreasonable to expect the average British person to understand all the details of the question of EU membership enough to make a reasonable decision. The average British person, unlike the average MP, has a real job to do. They can't spend their whole day studying up.

Fundamentally the issue you're now grappling with is that setting this question to the general public at all was incredibly dumb. Literally the reason you have Parliament at all is to ensure shit like that doesn't happen.*

* And his name is Jeremy Corbyn.
** I mean, also to ensure that the Queen doesn't take unreasonable advantage of the royal forests, I guess, but controlling the mob is like job two at the very least.

Well yeah, that's why we have a representative democracy that has now been shackled to a direct democratic decision from the public. The question now is whether anyone is willing to gnaw their own foot off in order to get out of it. Whoever cancels the Brexit will be politically radioactive for the rest of their life but the same is true if they push the button to take us out. It should never have come to this.

Removing don't knows it's 54-46. It's a long game, the referendum won't be soon but it's coming and with no media support for the union and likely no opposition from Scottish Labour of libdems, it will be an easy yes vote.

RK9039

It may be a clever move for its own purpose, but it's also one that puts UK in more trouble due to the long transition and lack of leadership. It's sacrificing the country for a chess move.

They mostly want to disagree with EU apparently. Maybe there is a way to have UK remain indefinitely, provided someone keep asking "are you leaving yet ?" every month...

As long as long the Brexit people and Cameron are far away from leadership I'm happy. If only Labour got their shit together.

Hasney

Yup, I personally believe that in the meeting Boris and Cameron had, they both specifically agreed to campaign about what would happen when we were out of the EU, not what would happen if we stayed in. So both camps played along so Cameron only had doom and gloom in his arsenal and Boris only had the land of honey. Then they'd make up after a hard fought race, Cameron would leave at the end of this term as planned and Boris and Gove would sweep in. Because no matter what, the people of Britain would never vote to leave the EU and enter the great unknown, right?

No. I will move abroad - either to Scotland with my fiancé whose Scottish, or elsewhere. I don't think you quite understand how astonishingly deep these feelings go. I've been active in politics for some time, and I have never felt this way before - nor the people I know.

I absolutely will not, under any circumstance, with the bastards who did this to my country and my future. There is no unity to be had.

With the rise of UKIP over the last two elections I've had the same increasingly disenfranchised feeling for my home country. For me to this referendum was the final nail in the coffin. I no longer feel any patriotism or belonging to England as a nation.

geordiemp

Unless someone gets voted in with a revised mandate ?

I can see where this is going...

Audioboxer

(via Survation / 25 Jun)
Chgs. from April.

The longer Westminster continue to completely fuck the Brexit plan the better this poll looks.

However everyone should be cautious as fuck believing any polls we see these days. Still without a doubt a yes vote could probably do it right now.

45% just to go independent because YOLO vs what we have now where we pretty much need to go independent to stay in the EU. Easy win.

*Splinter

We didn't anyway, despite paying a higher contribution (over 6b more) than most countries that do.
We was one of the bigger contributors but our vote means nothing.
And I didn't vote leave either, but I can understand why people would.
Nonsense, we've been successfully holding them back for years. Now that we're out of the way perhaps they can make some real progress towards a United States of Europe.

Tak3n

Banned
(via Survation / 25 Jun)
Chgs. from April.

I would not think Sturgeon would be overly impressed by that, right now when the hurt is still raw the yes vote should be way out in front.... No way she calls a referendum on those figures.... Lose another referendum and it is done for

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I wouldn't take polling as reliable. That percentage difference needs to be a lot higher consistently for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom