• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

https://p
bs.twimg.com/media/Clo01JsXEAA-Pcq.jpg:large

HOLY.SHIT.

8QSbrfs.gif

ITS LIKE WAKING UP IN A PYTHON SKETCH

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The fact that $1.3 trillion was lost in global stock value over a single day is rage inducing.

to be fair, it's not like anyone actually loses money with stocks until they sell. if someone is a typical buy and hold investor, this is barely a blip on the radar.

Calabi

Short term yes but wouldnt that probably cause a giant boost in UKIP and extreme right wing support come the next election?

Undoing this mess is probably political suicide for whoever does it but I guess its one of those "for the greater good" moments. Not sure any of the current lot actually have to fortitude to go along with that though.

Tomorrow should be fun anyway.

This is the thing which is really scary, the choice is down to a few idiots. They can destroy the country and keep their waning careers and be eventually hated or destroy their careers now and possibly the party but save the country.

Its like a shotgun wedding.

Most people in UK dislike Brussels, not EU, and have been pounded by this stuff for years and believe it (I still am unsure).

Thats why everyone wants a common free market in EU but small Brussels.

This is just journalism malpractice at this point.

Euro notes give you impotence?
Cows have to wear nappies?

FFS, this is brainwashing.

Audioboxer

So, what are we to expect tomorrow?

Boris and Osborne to surface. More arguing, despair and retweeting of funny but depressing memes and images on Twitter.

Then everyone hoping to watch England give us something good to come out of the past few days at the Euros.

... Where they will self implode, get pumped by Iceland and we will all be even more depressed.

What do you mean by banking passport?
Allowing banks to operate freely regardless of borders?

If so then UK needs to be in EEA and that's about it, there is no way EU won't let UK into the EEA if UK wants that.
EEA comes with freedom of movement... Not exactly what the leavers aimed for, right?

Wish a party like the SNP but for England could exist. The ENP lol. Sadly what you've spawned down there isn't a left leaning social party with England's best interests at heart but UKIP....

We kinda do, but no one really votes for them. On the political spectrum the SNP are what you might consider the ideal offspring if you coss-bread the Lib Dems with the Greens.

Alas we're more likely to see a UKIP prime minister than a green/libdem coalition.

Boris and Osborne to surface. More arguing, despair and retweeting of funny but depressing memes and images on Twitter.

Then everyone hoping to watch England give us something good to come out of the past few days at the Euros.

... Where they will self implode, get pumped by Iceland and we will all be even more depressed.

We'd struggle to beat Farm Foods

Breakage

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Cameron thought reducing our complex relationship with the EU to a simple yes/no vote and betting the finances of the nation on the result would be a good thing.
This is economic suicide. The idea that everyone who voted remain should now shut up and accept it because the will of people have spoken suggests that there's nothing disingenuous about the outcome. People who keep saying we need to accept the incoming disaster in order to maintain our democratic values are deluded. Is there supposed be some sort of honour in enduring economic hardship, suffering and condemning future generations to a life of fewer opportunties and poverty in the name of democracy?

When I see comments like "you have to respect democracy", "we have to uphold our democratic values, deal with it", "anyone who disagrees with the outcome is undemocratic", I start to worry. The parallels to religious fanaticism are obvious. It's like these people have been conditioned to be immune the long-term suffering and hardship this result will bring. They don't seem care about the incoming shitstorm - the only thing that is important to them is upholding their democratic values. I find it alarming that people would rather see the country regress and get fucked just so they can have the honour of maintaining their "values".

Banking passport means a bank needs only one license in a memberstate to provide services in the whole union. A lot of foreign banks and other financial service providers have their licenses in UK and will loose their licenses to provide such services to EU if UK gets out.

Its a pipe dream to think EU will allow London to stay the european financial centre. Even if a EEA deal gets through the passport will be carved out.

Better than Markus Söder

Personally id like Steinmeier but he blew it

Thankfully Guttenberg fucked up his political career with the whole dissertation shebang because otherwise it would be him and that would be scary.
Söder and van der Leyen is a wash to me.and yes I think Steinmeier would be a good choice. It's actually amazing that the SPD hasn't had a single personality that the public liked since Schröder.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Team Leave may not be all racist but they all knowingly voted for disarray, chaos, massive reform and risk all during a time when our politics needs stability, relevance and honesty - they both legitimised lies and triggered utter economic, cultural and political chaos the likes of which hasn't been seen in a lifetime (if ever).

I don't know how we truly recover from this.

If Leave gets overruled or somehow doesn't happen there will be massive outcry from 17m people who have dug their heels in given the outcry from the opposing side (and probably others who feel democracy will have been betrayed).

Even Sturgeon is being labelled an enemy of democracy despite what seems like global online praise.

in the meantime the voices from Spain, France and Italy calling for referendums convince Leave they were in the right, not realising they're just listening to the foreign UKIP spreading lies in a different language.

RK9039

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Cameron thought reducing our complex relationship with the EU to a simple yes/no vote and betting the finances of the nation on the result would be a good thing.
This is economic suicide. The idea that everyone who voted remain should now shut up and accept it because the will of people have spoken suggests that there's nothing disingenuous about the outcome. People who keep saying we need to accept the incoming disaster in order to maintain our democratic values are deluded. Is there supposed be some sort of honour in enduring economic hardship, suffering and condemning future generations to a life of fewer opportunties and poverty in the name of democracy?

When I see comments like "you have to respect democracy", "we have to uphold our democratic values, deal with it", "anyone who disagrees with the outcome is undemocratic", I start to worry. The parallels to religious fanaticism are obvious. It's like these people have been conditioned to be immune the long-term suffering and hardship this result will bring. They don't seem care about the incoming shitstorm - the only thing that is important to them is upholding their democratic values. I find it alarming that people would rather see the country regress and get fucked just so they can have the honour of maintaining their "values".

Well said.

Jasup

Most people in UK dislike Brussels, not EU, and have been pounded by this stuff for years and believe it (I still am unsure).

Thats why everyone wants a common free market in EU but small Brussels.

We'll just move everything to Strasbourg then, problem solved!

Audioboxer

We kinda do, but no one really votes for them. On the political spectrum the SNP are what you might consider the ideal offspring if you coss-bread the Lib Dems with the Greens.

Alas we're more likely to see a UKIP prime minister than a green/libdem coalition.

The people shouldn't be hard on themselves without a doubt London is "rotten to the core" and you guys were under a reign of repeating cycles via the Tories. Lies, deceit, cuts, austerity, tax evasion and privatisation.

It just wasnt right IMO to use the EU ref to get back at the London elite/Tories considering the damage it might do overall to your country. I'm not going to pretend though and say I'd know how to sort it any other way... The establishment and Westminster is something us Scots have had to take many years to fight.

I guess you just have to get politically involved, campaign, protest and generally keep trying your hardest within your lifetime to make a difference and hope for change. Those who have used this ref as the go nuclear option to get at Westminster will have to live with the consequences and hope for the best...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGgiGtJk7MA

I think the Scottish people are waiting to see what happens in the coming days before pledging their support for independence.

It's inevitable now, but no rush really, the media is moving the political parties are moving and the people will too, but let's take our time and get this mess sorted before that question needs answering.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Honestly, I think that if Boris Johnson is selected as PM, you'll see Scottish indyref support rise by 10+ points easily.

nOoblet16

EEA comes with freedom of movement... Not exactly what the leavers aimed for, right?

Nope, but it's most certainly what we'll get.
The Leave camp including BoJo have already started hinting immigration will not be tackled.

This only means one thing, because of pressure on them to control immigration it will lead to further alienation of non EU migrants and making things harder for them (It's VERY hard right now as it is)
The most vulnerable, least dependent and most profitable of the immigrant group always get shafted.

It's not a compromise, it's an everybody loses situation.

It has zero benefits over being in the EU. It is *actually* undemocratic.

Well its called fax democracy so it must be democracy right?
Nope, but it's most certainly what we'll get.
The Leave camp including BoJo have already started hinting immigration will not be tackled.

What about taking back control? The EEA means loosing control. What about contributions? EEA states need to contribute as well.

EEA is basically being a EU protectorate

Best

There's no way we're leaving now. Any negotiated settlement to 'leave the EU' will involve losing the passport which is an impossible deal for the UK.

Just don't activate article 50, blame it on Scotland and never hold a referendum again.

If they want to riot about it, put the army out.

KevinRo

Wrap your head around the fact that you're not the only human on Earth. You live amongst others who think and live differently than you. If you don't like it, move. What you're advocating for isn't Democracy. I'm tired of reading these posts where people can't accept the outcome of a vote. It went from venting steam to children crying.

RevenWolf

I'm not a political expert. Is there anything that can be done to fix or reduce the damage being done?

What about reversing the decision?

I'm sure someone already suggested it but the thread is so big and moving so fast :(

Tldr: if we don't leave for whatever reason would another referendum be possible but unrealistic to succeed?

Also whats the best relatively non bias newspaper in England?

Bojo won't be the next PM.
The only chance of staying in the EU is a proUE party winning an early election.
Another referendum is always possible but exceedingly unlikely. I can only think of one scenario and that means a proEU Tory like Taresa May being the next PM and possibly no early General election.

Best non biased uk news - BBC.co.uk. forget the newspapers, they're all biased one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom