• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakage

Wrap your head around the fact that you're not the only human on Earth. You live amongst others who think and live differently than you. If you don't like it, move. What you're advocating for isn't Democracy. I'm tired of reading these posts where people can't accept the outcome of a vote. It went from venting steam to children crying.

52% want to fuck themselves up and take down everybody else in the process. Why should I have to accept that or move?

Audioboxer

I'm not a political expert. Is there anything that can be done to fix or reduce the damage being done?

What about reversing the decision?

I'm sure someone already suggested it but the thread is so big and moving so fast :(

If by the damage being done you mean the financial markets going tits up, well, our Government going into hiding and having no plan isn't helping.

Some short term stability won't come about till the Brexit cowards/Cameron/Osborne show face and no, not via writing horseshit articles in a newspaper.

chadskin

AFP:
Britain "may never" trigger the formal divorce process with the EU despite last week's referendum in which the country voted to leave, EU diplomats said Sunday.

"My personal belief is they will never notify" the EU about their intention to leave, a senior EU diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

A state leaving the EU must formally notify the European Council of all 28 EU leaders under Article 50 of the 2007 Lisbon Treaty, setting the clock ticking on a two-year period for Britain to negotiate its divorce.

"We want London to trigger Article 50 now, to have clarity. I expect, as we can't force them, for them to take their time," the diplomat added.

"And I would not exclude, it's my personal belief, that they may never do it."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/britain-may-never-trigger-eu-divorce-diplomats-222751444.html?ref=gs

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Cameron thought reducing our complex relationship with the EU to a simple yes/no vote and betting the finances of the nation on the result would be a good thing.
This is economic suicide. The idea that everyone who voted remain should now shut up and accept it because the will of people have spoken suggests that there's nothing disingenuous about the outcome. People who keep saying we need to accept the incoming disaster in order to maintain our democratic values are deluded. Is there supposed be some sort of honour in enduring economic hardship, suffering and condemning future generations to a life of fewer opportunties and poverty in the name of democracy?

When I see comments like "you have to respect democracy", "we have to uphold our democratic values, deal with it", "anyone who disagrees with the outcome is undemocratic", I start to worry. The parallels to religious fanaticism are obvious. It's like these people have been conditioned to be immune the long-term suffering and hardship this result will bring. They don't seem care about the incoming shitstorm - the only thing that is important to them is upholding their democratic values. I find it alarming that people would rather see the country regress and get fucked just so they can have the honour of maintaining their "values".

Yup. I find it pretty disgusting. Which is why I was so disappointed in the likes of Abbott on Question Time earlier saying we must accept the people's decision, as if we're not staring at incoming economical ramifications that will negatively affect generations upon generations for decades.

Reducing the stance to 'sore losers' is just disgraceful. Y'all be the same people talking about how you're struggling financially or having to leave the country in 5-10 years time, but it's okay because your upheld your democratic values, while the nation burned around you. Please.

nOoblet16

Well its called fax democracy so it must be democracy right?

What about taking back control? The EEA means loosing control. What about contributions? EEA states need to contribute as well.

EEA is basically being a EU protectorate
And that's much worse deal than what we have right now.

Which is why this whole thing is much a farace, these idiots never expected to win and just wanted to use this as a political move. Hell even Cameron used the referendum as political move to win last year.

If there was ever an example of aristocrats fucking up the commoners to play their little game, this was it.

Plum

Wrap your head around the fact that you're not the only human on Earth. You live amongst others who think and live differently than you. If you don't like it, move. What you're advocating for isn't Democracy. I'm tired of reading these posts where people can't accept the outcome of a vote. It went from venting steam to children crying.

I don't like it and if it does happen yes, the likelihood is that I'll try and move. Doesn't mean I have to accept the vote or bow to 30% of the country's will, especially when that will is to fuck up my future and remove so many of the rights I was born with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nope, but it's most certainly what we'll get.
The Leave camp including BoJo have already started hinting immigration will not be tackled.

This only means one thing, because of pressure on them to control immigration it will lead to further alienation of non EU migrants and making things harder for them (It's VERY hard right now as it is)
The most vulnerable, least dependent and most profitable of the immigrant group always get shafted.

If they do that the conservative party is dead in the water, you cannot renage on the major point and purpose of the brexit, come back even worse off deal and not expect people to leave you enmass to UKIP. This is the conversatives main demographic that voted for this, and why truly don't want to do anything. That entire promise shot them in the foot. If they the conservatives killed that they wouldn't be in any problems blamed on UKIP's lies and craziness and moved on as they didn't promise jack but they did it with no forethought whatsoever and now they will pay the price either way.

Yup. I find it pretty disgusting. Which is why I was so disappointed in the likes of Abbott on Question Time earlier saying we must accept the people's decision, as if we're not staring at incoming economical ramifications that will negatively affect generations upon generations for decades.

Reducing the stance to 'sore losers' is just disgraceful. Y'all be the same people talking about how you're struggling financially or having to leave the country in 5-10 years time, but it's okay because your upheld your democratic values, while the nation burned around you. Please.

Just wait, when it comes to crunch in the Commons and the facts are in front of them, they cannot do anything that knowingly damages the UK, they will just need to lay it on the table, no fancy talking down to us plain and simple, we sign this our economy is fucked, no pussyfooting around with technical terms etc.

Sibylus

Banned
"THE SANCTITY OF THE REFERENDUM! DEMOCRACY!"
"Half the nation voted to set themselves on fire, and the other half for good measure!"
"SANCTITY DEMOCRACY WARBLE GARBLE!!"

Plum

If they do that the conservative party is dead in the water, you cannot renage on the major point and purpose of the brexit, come back even worse off deal and not expect people to leave you enmass to UKIP. This is the conversatives main demographic that voted for this, and why truly don't want to do anything. That entire promise shot the in foot. If they the conservatives killed that they wouldn't be in any problems as they didn't promise jack but they did and now they will pay the price either way.

You've got to remember that now we now exactly how a Brexit would play out and we know that Farage is a liar. Any politician worth their salt would easily hammer in the fact that UKIP lied to us and their chances would be diminished greatly.

Meadows

Banned
The conclusion of the vote should be that the UK is divided on EU membership. Not that there is a mandate to leave.

Ok 17.4m voted to leave, but 16.1m voted to stay.

The conclusion is that we should meet in the middle.

My preference would be to offer to increase our contribution to the EU budget quote substantially (30%+) in return for a cap on EU NET migration of 100,000 per year on a first come first serve basis.

That deal I'm sure would be good enough to get public opinion well in favor of remain, plus the EU gets more money to play with.

Kathian

Banned
Yeah Brexit ain't happening anytime soon.

Which is terrible as the longer uncertainty remains the worse it will get. It's not as easy as the UK gov ignoring it - the fact the public are against it means it could happen any time through an electoral victory.

Labour have already said they'll leave and real Leavers will campaign on it too.

MIght be better to link to the article the BBC summarizes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/

Boris, loathed as he is by some Remains, makes good points. Just look at that graph of leave vs stay and consider it isn't nearly as cut and dried as London vs the country or other simplistic conclusions.

This was a seismic campaign whose lessons must be learnt by politicians at home and abroad. We heard the voices of millions of the forgotten people, who have seen no real increase in their incomes, while FTSE-100 chiefs now earn 150 times the average pay of their employees.

Audioboxer

Nothing will shock me now. I half expected Cameron to pull a Farage and stand again now Boris has published that.

Oh hell no. The one good thing about this mess was getting rid of that Porker. Although I wish it had been a next day resignation... you know like the arrogant but classy in this case Salmond had to do.

nOoblet16

Just had a thought, if my partner agrees to it in the future then maybe I'll move to the silicon valley after I finish my PhD. I'll have a better life and they pay higher wages there anyway. But it will depend on her since I wonder what kind of hoops she will have to jump through to become a lawyer there.

PJV3

"THE SANCTITY OF THE REFERENDUM! DEMOCRACY!"
"Half the nation voted to set themselves on fire, and the other half for good measure!"
"SANCTITY DEMOCRACY WARBLE GARBLE!!"

kippers telling others to hold hands and sing kumbayah as they sink the ship is Hilarious, also Trump supporters chiming in can fuck off.

Breakage

Yeah, it's easy for them to say things like that because in or out, people like Abbott won't feel a thing. I find it infuriating when people say just accept it and move on. Especially when the vote to leave was based on series of blatant lies and moronic reasoning.

That's the thing, no one will give a flying fuck about upholding democratic values when they are suffering. People will wish the vote to leave was ignored. I find it hard to believe that someone who loses their job and lives a life of poverty as a result of leaving the EU will be patting themselves on the back and saying "well, things are bad, but at least I respected democracy".

Audioboxer

Just had a thought, if my partner agrees to it in the future then maybe I'll move to the silicone valley after I finish my PhD. I'll have a better life and they pay higher wages there anyway.

Speaking of which I started the Silicon Valley comedy show recently. Fun stuff. Wasn't what I was expecting.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The conclusion of the vote should be that the UK is divided on EU membership. Not that there is a mandate to leave.

My preference would be to offer to increase our contribution to the EU budget quote substantially (30%+) in return for a cap on EU NET migration of 100,000 per year on a first come first serve basis.

That deal I'm sure would be good enough to get public opinion well in favor of remain, plus the EU gets more money to play with.

Noone on the wnning side truly cares unless they regret their decisions. A majority is a majority in a democracy as long as the rules stipulate it's enough. The only people that truly give a shit about that are the losers and the regreters. You rarely see people overtern or ignore a election if it was too close proprtionally but reached the majority with the system.

No this is the worst outcome because no company will ever invest in a country which may or may not leave the union and therefore loose access to the single market today, tommorow or in a year.

Also within the Union UK will have zero say on anything

The only surefire way I can see from where I'm sitting to remedy this is for the UK to become a full-fledged member of the EU. Joining the Schengen zone, adopting the euro, ...

So yeah, I think the UK drove themselves into one hell of a corner.

Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 8m8 minutes ago Lebanon, NH
Perhaps what we need is a coming together of centre so the Remainers from Tory & Labour Party join LIbDems and SNP to oppose Brexit madness?

Improbable, but someone has to put country over party.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Leavers don't care about money though. And the government cares more about money than anything else. Plus, we've lost the card we once had. No more perks or compromises coming from the EU.

The asian countries are directly completing with one another and they really don't like one another

Asians are the prime example of how not to do it.

Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese etc. have much in common but they hate each other and cannot trust each other. Also there is always possibility of war there.. Chinese warships are threatening the integrity of the waters in the south chinese sea, north korea is. Ticking time bomb, japan and south korea have territorial dispute etc. Etc. Asians are not a role model quite the contrary it would be benefitial that at least taiwan, japan and south korea get into a union, but that wont happen.

Also dont forget that the ASEAN already have a system similar to the EU.

RevenWolf

Just had a thought, if my partner agrees to it in the future then maybe I'll move to the silicon valley after I finish my PhD. I'll have a better life and they pay higher wages there anyway. But it will depend on her since I wonder what kind of hoops she will have to jump through to become a lawyer there.

Assuming she's a British lawyer, there is a very high chance of having to retake courses for American law.

I'm a lawyer in a commweakth country that has similar law to Britain, and even then I'd probably have to study for six months in approved courses to prove myself competant in the UK law specifically.

So it might be a a really big hurdle.

Hazanko

Banned
This is just journalism malpractice at this point.

Euro notes give you impotence?
Cows have to wear nappies?

FFS, this is brainwashing.

It's why I've always hated the papers and have wanted tougher regulation, it's basically propaganda and i'm not sure why it's allowed.

Tyaren

Lol, that's not how it works. You can't just cherry-pick how it suits you best.
Full access to the common market only in return for full free movement of people.
The EU won't grant the UK anymore concessions or opt-outs. Not when it threatened with Brexit and not after that threat was made reality.
You may have noticed that the Brexiteers are the ones suddenly backpeddling... ;)

Plum

Leavers don't care about money though. And the government cares more about money than anything else. Plus, we've lost the card we once had. No more perks or compromises coming from the EU.

Leavers do care about immigration, sovereignty, etc. It's clear that to get anything back if we actually left both of those wouldn't change at all. The government needs to show that Farage and his ilk are liars and there would never be any chance of us "taking back our borders" like leavers want us to.

Personally I'd rather be put on the naughty step for a few years than kicked out onto the streets.

Just for fun, an analysis that was published published before BREXIT. (HSBC)

Never listen to experts.

http://www.businessinsider.de/hsbc-...s-leave-brexit-eu-referendum-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T

The pound could collapse by as much as 15% against the dollar and Prime Minister David Cameron will most likely resign Friday if Britain votes to leave the European Union in Thursday's referendum, according to HSBC.

HSBC's chief economist Simon Wells and his team have mapped out what they see as the "near-term economic and market impact of a vote to leave" in a note titled "What if it's Leave?" sent to clients on Monday.
[x] Pound collapsing
[x] David Cameron resigned

The two key features of Wells' forecasts are an immediate 15% drop in the pound against the dollar, with an initial fall for the euro too, and a global move to "risk-off," meaning investors sell stocks in favour of bonds. The FTSE 100 would most likely nosedive.

HSBC also said that after a decision to leave the EU, "it is likely Mr Cameron would face pressure to resign." A decision by the prime minister to quit would most likely leave the Conservatives in turmoil, as they are already reeling from a bitter and divisive campaign battle over the referendum.
[~] 10% initial drop
[x] fall of the euro
[x] FTSE 100 nosedive
[x] Corverative turmoil

HSBC said the "main near-term economic impact to be elevated uncertainty." This will hit spending by businesses and individuals and "the impact would likely be most keenly felt in investment, if firms delayed spending until more clarity emerged about the UK's post-EU arrangements." As a result, the bank estimates that gross-domestic-product growth will be 1% to 1.5% lower in 2017 than it would have been otherwise.
[x] uncertainty -> fall in investments

Rest is yet to be seen.

pigeon

Banned
Anyone from Greece ? How do you feel about the EU ?

Ironically given the current events, the only reason Greece didn't drop out of the EU in the first place was that overwhelming majorities of Greeks believed in and supported the EU even while their country was being sold off by them.

It's the European ideal, after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom