• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming she's a British lawyer, there is a very high chance of having to retake courses for American law.

I'm a lawyer in a commweakth country that has similar law to Britain, and even then I'd probably have to study for six months in approved courses to prove myself competant in the UK law specifically.

So it might be a a really big hurdle.

The job chances will be good if she has both american and british bar admission though.. Especially in corporate law

nOoblet16

Assuming she's a British lawyer, there is a very high chance of having to retake courses for American law.

I'm a lawyer in a commweakth country that has similar law to Britain, and even then I'd probably have to study for six months in approved courses to prove myself competant in the UK law specifically.

So it might be a a really big hurdle.
She is still a student, will graduate next year. I finish my PhD in 2019. She will have work exp by then and I think 6 months of study for a better life would be worth it.

Just for fun, an analysis that was published published before BREXIT. (HSBC)

Never listen to experts.

http://www.businessinsider.de/hsbc-...s-leave-brexit-eu-referendum-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T

[x] Pound collapsing
[x] David Cameron resigned

[~] 10% initial drop
[x] fall of the euro
[x] FTSE 100 nosedive
[x] Corverative turmoil

[x] uncertainty -> fall in investments

Rest is yet to be seen.
You can prove anything with facts. I heard that Cows need nappies and I saw a Polish bloke down my road and he didn't say 'hello' to me. This country has changed. I hate it.

I mean, of course they were right. I feel like financial institutions will forever be treated like morons for not predicting the 2007 financial crisis.

Ironically given the current events, the only reason Greece didn't drop out of the EU in the first place was that overwhelming majorities of Greeks believed in and supported the EU even while their country was being sold off by them.

It's the European ideal, after all!

It was more going back to the drachma.

It's why I've always hated the papers and have wanted tougher regulation, it's basically propaganda and i'm not sure why it's allowed.

I find it bizzarre how the government has so much power over newspapers (being able to gag them) + being the closest to a Big Brother society yet they let this shit pass. It's really disgraceful.

Sibylus

Banned
kippers telling others to hold hands and sing kumbayah as they sink the ship is Hilarious, also Trump supporters chiming in can fuck off.
Pretty much.

If you don't believe in the validity of government protecting the people from reactionary mob rule, then what is the role of government? Is direct democracy the only form you believe in? Is no government what you believe in? Let's not wade in sophistry about democratic virtue if all you care about is a vote, any vote, and not at all about the lives destroyed and the generational suffering introduced. There's nothing virtuous about letting the mob eat each other.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
They need to clearly state "we'll never trigger it" though... as long as that sword will be hanging to a thread, the market will continue bleeding money.

No. If they do that, the "The Majority voted. Deal with it" crowd would go insane and start WW3.

Yeah, it's easy for them to say things like that because in or out, people like Abbott won't feel a thing. I find it infuriating when people say just accept it and move on. Especially when the vote to leave was based on series of blatant lies and moronic reasoning.

That's the thing, no one will give a flying fuck about upholding democratic values when they are suffering. People will wish the vote to leave was ignored. I find it hard to believe that someone who loses their job and lives a life of poverty as a result of leaving the EU will be patting themselves on the back and saying "well, things are bad, but at least I respected democracy".

For real. I'm literally dumbfounded. It just sounds so defeatist.

On another note, by word of Sky, looks like Osborne is considering to strike a deal whereby he backs Johnson's PM bid while simultaneously keeping his job. Lawl. This guy. And nothing he will say tomorrow before the markets open will quell the storm. Nothing.

It's why I've always hated the papers and have wanted tougher regulation, it's basically propaganda and i'm not sure why it's allowed.

Yup, the press' constant bleating about any regulation being bad doesn't hold up when you look at TV journalism. Just as sharp and inquisitive as what's on print, but with much less in the way of dubious bullshit and outright lies.

RevenWolf

The job chances will be good if she has both american and british bar admission though.. Especially in corporate law

She is still a student, will graduate next year. I finish my PhD in 2019. She will have work exp by then and I think 6 months of study for a better life would be worth it.

Oh I'm not saying it's not worth it, I was just saying that you need to make sure she knows exactly how long it will take etc.

I agree that once the study is done being admitted to both can be seen as a huge plus.

My point was more to make sure you don't undersell the effort it might take because that can cause resentment.

As long as you plan it out well (do t forget to calculate the university fees etc) and you guys will do just fine!

Sorry if I came across negative, it wasn't my intention, I just prefer to be blunt with these things so that people stay focused and plan accordingly.

I've had Freinds who rushed and got screwed by stuff like this so I always worry, my bad lol.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
The conclusion of the vote should be that the UK is divided on EU membership. Not that there is a mandate to leave.

Ok 17.4m voted to leave, but 16.1m voted to stay.

The conclusion is that we should meet in the middle.

My preference would be to offer to increase our contribution to the EU budget quote substantially (30%+) in return for a cap on EU NET migration of 100,000 per year on a first come first serve basis.

That deal I'm sure would be good enough to get public opinion well in favor of remain, plus the EU gets more money to play with.

Freedom of movement is not something the EU will ever compromise on.

Maledict

On another note, by word of Sky, looks like Osborne is considering to strike a deal whereby he backs Johnson's PM bid while simultaneously keeping his job. Lawl. This guy. And nothing he will say tomorrow before the markets open will quell the storm. Nothing.

If Osbourne stays on as chancellor then it probably means a deal has been done to not activate article 50. Osbourne is owned by the city and believed from day 1 the referendum shouldn't have been held. I cannot see him staying on unless an agreement has been done.

nOoblet16

Well off to sleep now.
Expecting the pound to shed some more pounds tomorrow. Maybe those who kept saying "see it was initial hock but now it's recovering already" will get some sense.

Oh I'm not saying it's not worth it, I was just saying that you need to make sure she knows exactly how long it will take etc.

I agree that once the study is done being admitted to both can be seen as a huge plus.

My point was more to make sure you don't undersell the effort it might take because that can cause resentment.

As long as you plan it out well (do t forget to calculate the university fees etc) and you guys will do just fine!

Sorry if I came across negative, it wasn't my intention, I just prefer to be blunt with these things so that people stay focused and plan accordingly.

I've had Freinds who rushed and got screwed by stuff like this so I always worry, my bad lol.
Yea I understand thanks.

Plum

If Osbourne stays on as chancellor then it probably means a deal has been done to not activate article 50. Osbourne is owned by the city and believed from day 1 the referendum shouldn't have been held. I cannot see him staying on unless an agreement has been done.

I hope that you're right. Even if Osbourne's budgets have been terrible I'd rather him be doing them if it meant we won't activate Article 50.

Bobnob

Won't this just lead to more division and uproar,I'm a outer and don't see this as being a good stance at all.

Plum

Source on that? Not seeing anything on the front page and, like I said above, it's a ray of hope that would be quite nice to see.

m_dorian

Anyone from Greece ? How do you feel about the EU ?

Last year i voted No because it seemed that it would take us out of E.U. Most of my friends, same age as mine 45, voted because they were exhausted of the measures proposed by EU.
And after the referendum, our government turned No to Yes and brought harsh and unfairly punitive new measures coming from E.U., that do not help at all.
I really can't say i am happy for E.U. nor support it and i am safe to say that many people think as i do.
But Greece is a different loony case than Britain.

SuperSah

Banned

This would be the best decision for all.

It'd probably destroy the Tory party but really, we and themselves all know that is legions better than destroying the country, the economy, our 'United' Kingdom by losing Ireland and Scotland and heading into uncharted territory where we may lose our best businesses, our place in the EU for an awful Norway like deal and the general fact nobody has a clue what the fuck to do.

This is the decision, and I hope the government takes it. Own up - you made a mistake, but the bigger mistake is going through with this at all.

Ironically given the current events, the only reason Greece didn't drop out of the EU in the first place was that overwhelming majorities of Greeks believed in and supported the EU even while their country was being sold off by them.

It's the European ideal, after all!
Nobody gives two shits about the European ideal here anymore besides maybe some really rich people.The "gunboat politics" of last year didn't help.

People just tolerate the EU at the moment because EU subsides are the last lifeline left for the economy and also because the process needed to leave would be way to chaotic. Also a lot of people are looking to abandon ship and an EU passport helps.

Last year i voted No because it seemed that it would take us out of E.U. Most of my friends, same age as mine 45, voted because they were exhausted of the measures proposed by EU.
And after the referendum, our government turned No to Yes and brought harsh and unfairly punitive new measures coming from E.U., that do not help at all.
I really can't say i am happy for E.U. nor support it and i am safe to say that many people think as i do.
But Greece is a different loony case than Britain.
Pretty much the same for me and my age group(20somethings) feels the same.

Plum

Won't this just lead to more division and uproar,I'm a outer and don't see this as being a good stance at all.

The division has already happened, it will get so much worse if we exited. The uproar if we didn't exit would only be temporary, and that's a good price to pay for bouncing back from the most idiotic decision of a lifetime.

Lucumo

Pff, the EU should have just kicked Greece out. Their government fucking up the country 15+ years ago, then falsifying statistics to get into it in the first place and the population blames the EU for it.

numble

To sit for an American bar exam, she will need to take at least a year (for a LLM degree) of law school, and some US states require 3 years (for a JD degree). Law school is not cheap in the US--$40,000 to $60,000 per year.

Faddy

Banned
You've got to remember that now we now exactly how a Brexit would play out and we know that Farage is a liar. Any politician worth their salt would easily hammer in the fact that UKIP lied to us and their chances would be diminished greatly.

The referendum just showed that lying doesn't matter. Almost all the Leave claims were debunked and challenged before the vote and it didn't make a difference. They said the public is tired of experts.

If Boris (or whoever is PM) doesn't enact article 50 in a reasonable amount of time they will done politically. The masses will run to a party that will keep their promises. The referendum was won by people who felt they have been ignored by the political class, ignoring them again will have severe consequences.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You've got to remember that now we now exactly how a Brexit would play out and we know that Farage is a liar. Any politician worth their salt would easily hammer in the fact that UKIP lied to us and their chances would be diminished greatly.

Your talking about 17 million people majority older staunch Tory voters, A sizeable amount also voted under that specific reason after being warned numerous times that this would be the result. The current downturn is no real shock, Remain pounded this the entire time, do you really think they'll go oh immigration is fine after voting knowing that'd potential problem. Even if a million or two switch sides, it'lll still hurt the tories immensely. That's why they're largely silent. You can't wake the beast and then blag your way through it.. They'll turn to the party that'll most like do what they want.

Xun

I fucking hope so.

Fingers crossed it's not activated.

Oriel

Pff, the EU should have just kicked Greece out. Their government fucking up the country 15+ years ago, then falsifying statistics to get into it in the first place and the population blames the EU for it.

The EU doesn't have the power to "kick Greece out" of the Union. Besides why would that even be contemplated? Just because a member is badly run doesn't mean we should just drop the idea of solidarity and turf them out. Is the US contemplating casting adrift Puerto Rico any time soon? All members of the EU are valued and it is important they all stay. That's why Britain leaving now is so devastating.

I fucking hope so.

Fingers crossed it's not activated.

The Commission is likely to take the view that the declaration given in the referendum was the notice to quit. They're not fucking about like Britain, they just want to get on with things now.

Plum

Your talking about 17 million people majority older staunch Tory voters, A sizeable amount also voted under that specific reason after being warned numerous times that this would be the result. The current downturn is no real shock, Remain pounded this the entire time, do you really think they'll go oh immigration is fine after voting knowing that'd potential problem. Even if a million or two switch sides, it'lll still hurt the tories immensely. That's why they're largely silent. You can't wake the beast and then blag your way through it.. They'll turn to the party that'll most like do what they want.

This is why the Tories at least need to explain that none of their issues will be solved if we were to leave, which is an absolute fact. They have seen what will happen to the economy first hand, there's no hiding behind paranoia over experts now. Showing to them that leaving the EU would not only not get what they want but ruin your children and grandchildrens future in the process would really help quell a UKIP resurgence.

As for lies being debunked (for the poster above you, on mobile) that was before the vote when emotions were everything. Now Farage himself has admitted to lies more lies won't work again.

Sorry, but I've got go to bed. I'll try and reply in the morning (or afternoon)

Croyles

You think the EU didn't know about the falsified data when they set up the Euro?

Maybe? But that's getting into conspiracy theory territory...

If we start assuming this then we may as well assume all sorts of things, like tighter immigration control and more money for the NHS when out of the EU, for example.

Nevertheless kicking Greece out would have been a dumb idea either way.

First: the EU was perfectly aware that the data was false.
Second: the EU has no mechanism for kicking members out.
Third: almost the totality of the bailout money spent on Greece is redirected to foreign banks.
Fourth: the austerity measures that made the problem even worse and were adopted by previous greek governments were developed by the troika

the EU should've just done what the FMI said it should do. Instead it opted to kick the can down the road. Again.

Just had a thought, if my partner agrees to it in the future then maybe I'll move to the silicon valley after I finish my PhD. I'll have a better life and they pay higher wages there anyway. But it will depend on her since I wonder what kind of hoops she will have to jump through to become a lawyer there.

Fairly massive, as she would have to retrain entirety.

Bobnob

Maybe? But that's getting into conspiracy theory territory...

If we start assuming this then we may as well assume all sorts of things, like tighter immigration control and more money for the NHS when out of the EU, for example.

Nevertheless kicking Greece out would have been a dumb idea either way.
The free movement thing is becoming a big factor right across the EU your crazy if you think nothing will be done about it Europe wide.Britain just made all the more clearer.

Lucumo

The EU doesn't have the power to "kick Greece out" of the Union. Besides why would that even be contemplated? Just because a member is badly run doesn't mean we should just drop the idea of solidarity and turf them out. Is the US contemplating casting adrift Puerto Rico any time soon? All members of the EU are valued and it is important they all stay. That's why Britain leaving now is so devastating.

Obviously, they never should have let them in after all since they actually didn't qualify.
And it was "kicking out" because of all their moaning and groaning and blaming someone else for their own fault. The question whether this is possible or not was never raised.

Anyway, enough of that.

Third: almost the totality of the bailout money spent on Greece is redirected to foreign banks..

That is exactly right, Rich EU states particularly France and Germany extended billions through their *private* banking institutions and bailing out Greece was basically bailing out their own financial institutions under the guise of helping the Greek people stave off default.

SuperSah

Banned
The Commission is likely to take the view that the declaration given in the referendum was the notice to quit. They're not fucking about like Britain, they just want to get on with things now.

After reading that lawyer's article, a referendum won't actually be classed as a 'decision' nor 'notification' - therefore the EU won't accept it as such, unless it bends its own rules.

hohoXD123

MIght be better to link to the article the BBC summarizes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/

Boris, loathed as he is by some Remains, makes good points. Just look at that graph of leave vs stay and consider it isn't nearly as cut and dried as London vs the country or other simplistic conclusions.

If I were to rank politicians by how likely it would be that they would at least try to tackle the income inequality in this country, Boris would be pretty damn far down the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom