• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I think at this point, discussion is going around in circles and all we can do is watch the car crash unfold.

If the last 72 hours have taught me anything, its that is too easy to be blindsided by outside forces in a world that is becoming increasingly hostile and tribal in the wake of diminished resources and an ever growing population.

This wont happen again. For all my anger and frustration at brexiters, my number one concern was honestly that I was not prepared for it. People can argue that maybe I shouldn't of considered such a thing to be possible, but if I’m honest, as someone who grew up in working class Birmingham, this sentiment was always there, just bubbling under the surface. It was our foly that we ignored it.

That being said, this idea of "unity" now the vote has passed can go die in a fire. No, fuck you leavers, you don't get to dictate the terms of your relationship with the EU, the government and your fellow man now you have thrown your tantrum. I am not going to stand in solidarity with anyone who just told me, my friends, my work colleagues, my parents and grandparents or even my potential children that we aren't good enough to stay in this country because they may be more of us than you like. You can go and play in traffic. Each and every one of you.

I have already walked out today and noticed the same kind of stares that I noticed as a kid, stares that as a adult I convinced myself were more due to paranoia and frustration at perceived injustices, rather than actual ones. The joke is, whether those stares I experienced today were racially motivated or not, it doesn't matter. Old wounds have been reopened and old concerns have resurfaced.

One thing that this has put to bed, is the ludicrous idea that we are or ever have been a post-racial society. The overt racists just got outnumbered in the last 15 years, and rather than attitudes changing, they just went underground and got passed on to a younger generation. Thursdays vote emboldened them and that is why you are seeing such resurgence. It’s only going to get worse.

Some of you leavers are already hammering away at your keyboards ready to refute that the brexit campaign was not about race, it was that EU was undemocratic, yaddad yadda yadda. Save it.

Don’t you dare tell me it was about the struggles of the working poor when in every corner of this fucking country, Black and brown people have had to struggle just as hard as you to survive with many coming from countries that have had it even worse. Places where murder and persecution is as common as your tea and biscuits. Forgetting even that, don't you dare talk about poverty to the polish who in many circumstances, hold buying a chicken from Tesco to the same level of reverence as you would hold being given a solid gold bar.

The brexit campaign didn’t resonate with some because of immigration, economics, housing or any number of pseduo-intellectual reasons given after the fact.

The brexit campaign resonated because it gave a sub section of working class white people a way to show the world that they are superior. That they don't have to follow the rules, that they don't have follow process or protocol. It was to show on the world stage, if only for one moment, that they are the "big I am" and everyone else is a bunch of spineless weasels on their turf.

That’s why they don't care what happens next, least to anyone that doesn't agree with them. They expect us to care about their present because of, not despite of, them fucking up our future.

They don't have a plan, or even an idea of how thier leaders can help their lives to improve in a feasible way in 2016. Their only solution is to want the whole word to turn the clock back to 1970's, where they had the "dirty immigrants" under their thumb, they had a well paid job for life, in shitty factories where they didn’t have to learn anything more than how to put a widget on a spoke and they could buy a car with a couple months wages.

They have no interest in changing and adapting to face the changing world, but want the world to change and adapt to accommodate them. They are no different from radical Muslim ayatollahs in that regard, its only the "golden age" is different.

But yes. Democracy. the people have spoken, loud and clear. Well here is your cake. You win. Now is the time to celebrate.

While each and everyone of you choke on it, the more sensible people in the room are planning exactly how to salvage their future. So if you don't mind, stay out the way please.

2MF

Gotta love these two quotes from Boris Johnson's article:

Boris Johnson said:
British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down.

(a few paragraphs later...)

Boris Johnson said:
Yes, the Government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry.

Good luck with that, bro!

heidern

I'm not a political expert. Is there anything that can be done to fix or reduce the damage being done?

What about reversing the decision?

You can only reverse this through some kind of vote, whether that's a referendum or election. The political elite just ignoring/overriding the vote themselves would lead to disaster. You could have riots and extreme right wing gaining more traction, The Tories and Labour could face collapse similar to the Lib Dems did for their betrayal and instead you could realistically end up with Farage as Prime Minister notifying a50 on the first day, and then moving on with the rest of the UKIP manifesto(lord knows what kind of benevolent cabinet he would have at that point).

This referendum is a cloud hanging over the entire EU, yes the pound went down but so did the Euro. The EU is not the stable place to invest until this cloud is removed. Either by Brexit or some kind of democratic mandate for remaining.

nOoblet16

To sit for an American bar exam, she will need to take at least a year (for a LLM degree) of law school, and some US states require 3 years (for a JD degree). Law school is not cheap in the US--$40,000 to $60,000 per year.

Welp ! guess I am stuck in London now..not even EU due to this nonsense.

FStop7

Banned
Gotta love these two quotes from Boris Johnson's article:

(a few paragraphs later...)

Good luck with that, bro!

Brois Johnson

Pff, the EU should have just kicked Greece out. Their government fucking up the country 15+ years ago, then falsifying statistics to get into it in the first place and the population blames the EU for it.

The EU fucked up with Greece, but that's no reason to throw your own nation into turmoil.

nOoblet16

Turkey ????

0767a8bc80.jpg

Don't know if it's been posted already

Link

The petition calling for a 2nd referendum made by a Leave voter apparently.

Hilarious if this is true
Interesting. They made that petition when they thought Leave was going to barely win, trying to argue that if it's that close, they should vote again. Of course, since leave won they don't think it should happen. Sound like pretty much everyone wanting a re-vote now. Shite result but if STAY had won by a few percent I don't think re-voting would get much support.

Bobnob

People were saying that Greece was let in without the proper checks,so if thats possable would it be possable for Turkey be also allowed in without the proper checks ??, I know politicians have recently said it would take until the year 3000 for them to meet that criteria but you know politicians no ?

Venom Fox

Banned
The brexit campaign resonated because it gave working class white people a way to show the world that they are superior. That they don't have to follow the rules, that they don't have follow process or protocol. It was to show on the world stage, if only for one moment, that they are the "big I am" and everyone else is a bunch of spineless weasels on their turf
Wow that is the most ignorant thing I've ever read. This is the most rasist thing I've ever read against white people too.

I'm sorry for the looks your getting but that part of the post was totally unacceptable. Are you that ignorant to think that it was 17 million white rasist people that voted leave? Don't be stupid man, what's wrong with you.

I can't even believe I just read that. Racism is EVERYWHERE by every race.

Edit: Also I'm sure as shit that there were tons of non white people voting to leave as well. What's this bandwagon everyone's jumping on? Why are only white people being blamed for racism when people from other racial origins are being rasist too? Where I'm from in South Manchester there is more rascism against white people than anything. And we voted to remain as well.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
People were saying that Greece was let in without the proper checks,so if thats possable would it be possable for Turkey be also allowed in without the proper checks ??, I know politicians have recently said it would take until the year 3000 for them to meet that criteria but you know politicians no ?
I'm not quite sure what your point is and how it relates to the Brexit in particular? There might be a possibility that there maybe a chance for the likelihood of the contingent that Turkey gets into the EU because you don't trust politicians and therefore... Britain... should... ?

Are you that ignorant to think that it was 17 million white rasist people that voted leave?

No. Nor do I believe all leave voters were white, working class or poor. But I really don't care about percentages at this point. You lie with dogs, you get fleas.

but because im not unreasonable, ill edit my post slightly.

Bobnob

I'm not quite sure what your point is and how it relates to the Brexit in particular? There might be a possibility that there maybe a chance for the likelihood of the contingent that Turkey gets into the EU because you don't trust politicians and therefore... Britain... should... ?
Just a small part of my reasoning mate, think of that as you will...
Edit: How old are you ?

Famassu

There are tons of criteria that absolutely need to be fulfilled before a country can even begin to dream about EU membership. Turkey fulfills, like, 1 of them currently and the country is seemingly going into the opposite direction than required to fulfill the rest. They are easily decades away from EU membership unless some kind of impossibly strong progressive stance starts to win ground there soon. Greece was nowhere near as bad as Turkey is currently when they were let into EU, even if their inclusion could be argued to be unwise even at the time.

m_dorian

The checks that "failed" were the economic ones for entering Eurozone (adapting Euro). There was never a problem concerning freedom of expression or weird antiterrorist laws. Nobody would prosecute any one for disapproving the head of government.
There are different situations.
Turkey has the money but, sadly, lacks of some basic democratic principles.

For what is worth, a democratic Turkey could be a huge asset to the world, a paragon of stability and progress of the region. A great example on how well a democracy can work in a muslim state. Turks can do it and the rest of the world should help any way they can.

Venom Fox

Banned
No. But I really don't care about percentages at this point. You lie with dogs, you get fleas.
So your just going to ignore that racism happens everywhere and from different ethanic groups? Your also going to ignore that there was a majority of non white people who voted Leave?

This thread is toxic as shit. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. HALF of England voted to remain for fuck sake.

You stated that they were white and working class don't backtrack now mate.

Venom Fox

Banned
I get what you mean, but by the very nature of the dichotomy of this vote, it's almost impossible to blame a significant portion of people to essentially be useful idiots to the leave campaign.
Exactly what he is doing. Just jumping on the bandwagon for no reason whatsoever.

Just because 17 million voted leave and quite a few may have done it due to racism, don't make it difficult for us that aren't rasist. We haven't done anything wrong.

SuperSah

Banned
Ah ok, I think running a GE on this would be a better safer route in all honesty.

It would be, but over 3.55m of those votes remain are more than likely legitimate.

That is a record breaking number and done by real people. We can ensure this since Parliament purged it of the falsely added signatures.

hohoXD123

It would be, but over 3.55m of those votes remain are more than likely legitimate.

That is a record breaking number and done by real people. We can ensure this since Parliament purged it of the falsely added signatures.

I don't believe you.

Paul Nuttall said that only 400,000 of those were legitimate....

/s

Izuna

Banned
I'm afraid of an early GE if it means UKIP can get in power. But I guess the country is free to make such a decision twice.

Shiggy

There was a high correlation between a lack of education and the tendency towards voting for the leave campaign. No need to be cheeky about that.

The EU now intends to not allow informal talks as they cannot enforce the declaration of article 50.

I'm really starting to wonder how London Wiil try to keep the financial jobs. Comments by EU politicians indicate they will pretty much ensure that EU presence is necessary to sell certain products within the EU and that they will not bend regulations to fit the UK.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Am I the only one who feels a little weirded out by journalists saying "brexit" with a straight face? It reminds me of some shit TMZ would make up for a celebrity couple.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So your just going to ignore that racism happens everywhere and from different ethanic groups? Your also going to ignore that there was a majority of non white people who voted Leave?

This thread is toxic as shit. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. HALF of England voted to remain for fuck sake.

You stated that they were white and working class don't backtrack now mate.

Wow that is the most ignorant thing I've ever read. This is the most rasist thing I've ever read against white people too.

I'm sorry for the looks your getting but that part of the post was totally unacceptable. Are you that ignorant to think that it was 17 million white rasist people that voted leave? Don't be stupid man, what's wrong with you.

I can't even believe I just read that. Racism is EVERYWHERE by every race.

Edit: Also I'm sure as shit that there were tons of non white people voting to leave as well. What's this bandwagon everyone's jumping on? Why are only white people being blamed for racism when people from other racial origins are being rasist too? Where I'm from in South Manchester there is more rascism against white people than anything. And we voted to remain as well.

Exactly what he is doing. Just jumping on the bandwagon for no reason whatsoever.

Just because 17 million voted leave and quite a few may have done it due to racism, don't make it difficult for us that aren't rasist. We haven't done anything wrong.

Just some tips for the ongoing struggle to Keep England English:
You're
Racism
Racist
Ethnic

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
explains why you would think that was my only reasoning, i mean you don't know me
It explains nothing and I never said such a thing. I was replying to your unintelligible post chain, not talking about you. A response you've yet to elaborate upon besides going "just a small part". Not really going to indulge more rambling off wild stabs in the dark, though, especially not if your response hinges upon an irrelevant number instead of arguments.

Bobnob

It explains nothing and I never said such a thing. I was replying to your unintelligible post chain, not talking about you. A response you've yet to elaborate upon besides going "just a small part". Not really going to indulge more rambling off wild stabs in the dark, though, especially not if your response hinges upon an irrelevant number instead of arguments.
And that's the reason I'm not giving you the time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom