• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazaam

This is all just the most surreal thing. I'm starting to think there may actually be a nonzero chance the whole process just falls apart. What's happening today is straight out of books and hypothetical studies... It's like the enormous train wreck you spent your whole adult life speculating about never actually considering it plausible. It's so nuts.. Where are they? They all vanished. Farage said the 350m thing was a mistake and then like Keyser Soze... "Poof! He's gone!"

A package of dangerous, manipulative lies, hatred, fear and vitriol, wrapped up in the flag and peddled with malice contempt to a frightened, febrile population by a cabal of half wits and gormless buffoons who have not the slightest appreciation of the gravity of what they are proposing or the faintest idea how they would accomplish it. They won and then essentially admitted it was a package of lies. Straight up. Not a single one of the lot has credibility anymore. They have completely delegitimised their entire cohort.

Cameron decided it was worth the power gamble and in a couple of days we had our prime minister resign, there has been a coup against the Labour leader, Scotland it's introducing the possibility of calling a second referendum for independence, the pound has had one of the biggest falls in one day and we even have banks talking of moving jobs to Europe. For what?! BoJo is now "We're not going to do much... I just wanted David's job". These guys... I know politicians don't lend respect in general, but these guys need to be run out of town with extreme prejudice. I'm talking Game of Thrones shame punishments. That would be appropriate... this was deceit and manipulation of the highest order. For people who are allegedly "conservative" this is the absolute pinnacle of reckless behaviour.

cameron_zpsus8ylzcg.jpg~original

Izuna

Banned
Yeah I'm sorry, I am not going to be tolerant to intolerance.

It's either intolerance, or it's mad ignorance about the benefits of immigration.

Shiggy

Famassu

And that's the reason I'm not giving you the time of day.
You bring up some incomprehensible hysteria about Turkey's EU membership and then you act as if he's not worth having a discussion with just because he called you out and is young? Lol. Maybe don't enter discussions if you aren't prepared to explain your stances and just sprout incoherrent crap?

AntChum

I am now watching GoT so good bye and please do continue to be rasist against white people...
Won't somebody think of the poor, oppressed white people of the UK?

I echo the sentiments of posters questioning the merit of democracy if it means having to let the country potentially whither and die to see it through. As far as I'm concerned, ignoring the referendum result is no different than grabbing a suicidal person before they have the opportunity to jump off a cliff; they might not appreciate it at first, but in the end all that matters is you've saved a life.

Izuna

Banned
But the Polish took all the jobs of people.
All the jobs British didn't want to do themselves.

I rage quit out of one of those jobs tbf -- 0 hour contract, 50 hours expected a week, minimum wage. Co-workers were super workers. It's more rewarding for them when they send money back home etc. and if anything, it's the employer's fault for it all. Living wage is too low when rent in London is so freaking high, but increased wages doesn't do anything but make companies try to cut their costs more.

I fully understand the reason behind disliking immigration for these things, but the problem is government policy. In return for immigration helping the economy, we should have gotten better education as we shift to a society with less manual labour.

Now, we don't even have that option. It's all fucked.

I don't want a situation like Tokyo where people are put into work to do completely freaking pointless jobs (we people to stand around to put petrol in a car lmao, men close to retirement age waving lights that a simple sign could do.

pffffffffffffft

Venom Fox

Banned
Just some tips for the ongoing struggle to Keep England English:
You're
Racism
Racist
Ethnic
Thanks. On mobile so typing fast. I feel like your quote was trying to imply that I want England to be English, but I fail don't know how you come to that conclusion.

Obviously it's disgraceful that people are being stared at in the street, it's fucking disgusting that people are saying racist, nasty comments in the street. The poster I quoted was trying to blame the white, working class for this. This is not the case, a lot of non white working class people voted leave as well.

Obviously I took offence because me, being white and working class is far from racist and it sickens me to think people voted because they are racist.
I feel like I need to do my bit as well:
You're not welcome here
Go back to your country
Haha I guess you're right. My Galaxy S7 auto correct has failed me.

My point still stands though. White people shouldn't be solely blamed for the things that are happening. Obviously the majority was white but a lot were still non white.

All this racism and people blaming white working class people is making really not want to be white and working class at this moment in time. I feel ashamed to be British tbh.

Thanks. On mobile so typing fast. I feel like your quote was trying to imply that I want England to be English, but I fail don't know how you come to that conclusion.

Obviously it's disgraceful that people are being stared at in the street, it's fucking disgusting that people are saying racist, nasty comments in the street. The poster I quoted was trying to blame the white, working class for this. This is not the case, a lot of non white working class people voted leave as well.

Obviously I took offence because me, being white and working class is far from racist and it sickens me to think people voted because they are racist.

Haha I guess your right. My Galaxy S7 auto correct has failed me.

My point still stands though. White people shouldn't be solely blamed for the things that are happening. Obviously the majority was white but a lot were still non white.

All this racism and people blaming white working class people is making really not want to be white and working class at this moment in time. I feel ashamed to be British tbh.

It's yer're.

heidern

Sky Correspondent Katie Stallard:
"Comment in Chinese State Media that Britain can expect it to take 500 officials and 10 years to renegotiate a trade deal with China."

Why Brexit is devastating to thousands of married couples like us

Wait, so if you are a Brit and you marry a non-Brit, the non-Brit doesn't automatically gain British citizenship?

Also, has anyone asked Boris Johnson why he has such terrible hair?
In answer to your first question, if they are a non-EU citizen they don't even get automatic residence. If I were to marry my gf here in Japan, I would have to move back and start a job that pays above a certain threshold before she could join me (unless she could get some other special visa in the meantime)

Piecake

In answer to your first question, if they are a non-EU citizen they don't even get automatic residence. If I were to marry my gf here in Japan, I would have to move back and start a job that pays above a certain threshold before she could join me (unless she could get some other special visa in the meantime)

Thats rather hard for me to understand as an American. I am not quite sure what purpose it serves besides making people's lives more difficult

numble

Why Brexit is devastating to thousands of married couples like us

Wait, so if you are a Brit and you marry a non-Brit, the non-Brit doesn't automatically gain British citizenship?

Thats rather hard for me to understand as an American. I am not quite sure what purpose it serves besides making people's lives more difficult

A non-American marrying an American doesn't get automatic citizenship either, and they need to meet certain income thresholds before they can sponsor a foreign spouse for residency.

I don't understand how it is more difficult in the UK versus the US. A quick glance at the family visa in UK seems to indicate it is much easier than the US:

UK:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

£18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks. Check the guide to processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

US:
Processing time usually takes over a year.

During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the Consular Officer that they will not become a public charge in the United States. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen spouse is able to provide support.

heidern

If you don't earn enough money you can claim some benefits from the government to top up your salary. They don't want people coming from abroad and claiming any benefit because it's not 'fair.' There was some guy who fought in some war and couldn't walk(he might have lost a limb, can't remember exactly) and he couldn't bring his wife over from the Phillipines because of this.

Piecake

A non-American marrying an American doesn't get automatic citizenship either, and they need to meet certain income thresholds before they can sponsor a foreign spouse for residency.

I don't understand how it is more difficult in the UK versus the US. A quick glance at the family visa in UK seems to indicate it is much easier than the US:

UK:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

US:

huh, guess I always assumed it was easy/instant due to all of those green card jokes

US:

Exactly, welcome to how the world works. It isn't easy in Australia as well there is a long qualifying period a lot of friends have to vouch for you and so on.

Like it or not if it was easy the system would be rorted, it is rorted already, but its a balance between pissing honest people off and detecting fraudulent applications. It has to be a fraught process otherwise whole industries are setup overnight to drive people through the process with cardboard thin arrangements. I bet most americans with overseas friends know of sham or paper thin marriages, even with the difficult process.

numble

If you don't earn enough money you can claim some benefits from the government to top up your salary. They don't want people coming from abroad and claiming any benefit because it's not 'fair.' There was some guy who fought in some war and couldn't walk(he might have lost a limb, can't remember exactly) and he couldn't bring his wife over from the Phillipines because of this.

The US has a similar requirement:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

As the sponsor, you must show you have sufficient income or financial resources to assure that the alien you are sponsoring will not become a public charge while in the United States.

Failure to provide evidence of sufficient income or financial resources may result in the denial of the alien's application for a visa or his or her removal from the United States.

numble

huh, guess I always assumed it was easy/instant due to all of those green card jokes

It is "easier" compared to all the other options like the green card lottery, asylum, H1B, etc. But they still require people to jump through a lot of hoops, and there are a lot of people that make a lot of money guiding people through the process.

They probably added a lot of these requirements due to abuse with sham marriages. For instance, they need to prove in an interview that there is an actual marriage, and then even if they grant residency, it is only for 2 years or something and they need to submit another application after that to prove they are still married after that before permanent residency is granted. I don't know if they also need to prove they haven't received any welfare at that time.

Theresa May's list of reasons to enact a policy:

1. Makes me feel morally superior.
2. Makes other people's lives more difficult.

UK trying to create, newer, better, EU replacement, CANZUK!

It's a proposed EU style work/live single zone between Canada/Australia/New Zealand/UK, but I'm gonna pretend the CAN part is for Canada -totes.

Hey Aussies, keep your damned bogans! We don't want them here, eh?

Wait, what's the actual incentive for a system like this, especially for countries so far apart who share no land borders? Just common language?

Wouldn't Canada's chief interest be in trade with the US, UK with EU, and AUS/NZ with SE Asia/China?

This is all just the most surreal thing. I'm starting to think there may actually be a nonzero chance the whole process just falls apart. What's happening today is straight out of books and hypothetical studies... It's like the enormous train wreck you spent your whole adult life speculating about never actually considering it plausible. It's so nuts.. Where are they? They all vanished. Farage said the 350m thing was a mistake and then like Keyser Soze... "Poof! He's gone!"

A package of dangerous, manipulative lies, hatred, fear and vitriol, wrapped up in the flag and peddled with malice contempt to a frightened, febrile population by a cabal of half wits and gormless buffoons who have not the slightest appreciation of the gravity of what they are proposing or the faintest idea how they would accomplish it. They won and then essentially admitted it was a package of lies. Straight up. Not a single one of the lot has credibility anymore. They have completely delegitimised their entire cohort.

Cameron decided it was worth the power gamble and in a couple of days we had our prime minister resign, there has been a coup against the Labour leader, Scotland it's introducing the possibility of calling a second referendum for independence, the pound has had one of the biggest falls in one day and we even have banks talking of moving jobs to Europe. For what?! BoJo is now "We're not going to do much... I just wanted David's job". These guys... I know politicians don't lend respect in general, but these guys need to be run out of town with extreme prejudice. I'm talking Game of Thrones shame punishments. That would be appropriate... this was deceit and manipulation of the highest order. For people who are allegedly "conservative" this is the absolute pinnacle of reckless behaviour.

I love this post. Nicely done.

RustyO

Exactly, welcome to how the world works. It isn't easy in Australia as well there is a long qualifying period a lot of friends have to vouch for you and so on.

My partner (American) and I (English/Irish/Australian), who have been together for five years in Australia (co habiting for over two of them) have recently left Australia as we were looking at up to 18 months waiting time for her to get a partner visa, during which time she would not be able to work at all, and I would have had to support her entirely during that time. Not easy in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

This is after she has been been working and paying tax under a 457 visa in Australia, and prior to getting two years wages stolen via her toxic company/sponser, commiting fraud and trading insolvent, and losing her visa (tied to that company) becuase of it.

And getting told "tough shit" by the authorities. (ASIC, ATO, Fair Work, you name it... useless). So we're both now bankrupt, and trying to rebuild our lives.

It's forced us to leave Australia for greener pastures, after considering Australia, America, Europe, Ireland and the EU...

America doesn't recognise de-facto relationships, we woud have to get married, so I could get the right to work, and avoid requirements for a H1B/E3 visa... bad part though is I'm the one with more marketable skills in comparison. A H1B/E3 visa would be quicker/easier, but H1B requires sponsorship (no problem for me getting a job / sponser, but then tied to that job, which we're not keen on (see above)) or an E3, but that is only a sole purpose visa, with no intent to stay.

International immigration / visa stuff can be a pain :)

So it appears that he is a harmless, bumbling oaf and man of the people... not bad for an Old Etonian, Oxford boy, no?

mjontrix

The EU now intends to not allow informal talks as they cannot enforce the declaration of article 50.

Hahaha, good luck with that.

It's informal for a reason, you can't stop a few people meeting up and having a chat.

If they actually try to stop the UK talking to others informally the headlines write themselves.

Best

Sky Correspondent Katie Stallard:
"Comment in Chinese State Media that Britain can expect it to take 500 officials and 10 years to renegotiate a trade deal with China."

China's just fearmongering m8. They'd do well to remember we're now the Greatest of all Britains.

Logic88

Neo Member
Ok sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is huge now.......has anyone who ran the campaign to leave, or the Tory MPs who were wanting to leave etc at all commented on the fact that they were saying that the experts were wrong and had an agenda for saying it'd cause huge economic issues if we voted to leave, which now turned out to be true?

I can't believe this shitshow got this far, and I can't believe after the campaigners supposedly wanting this to happen for many many years, now they're getting a chance to have it their way they suddenly are no longer on the face of the earth and are all hiding instead of explaining just how exactly we are going to have full access to the EU zone for trade and such while ignoring the one key rule the EU have that goes hand in hand with allowing said access.....

This really is just so incredible ridiculous...

mid83

Ok sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is huge now.......has anyone who ran the campaign to leave, or the Tory MPs who were wanting to leave etc at all commented on the fact that they were saying that the experts were wrong and had an agenda for saying it'd cause huge economic issues if we voted to leave, which now turned out to be true?

I can't believe this shitshow got this far, and I can't believe after the campaigners supposedly wanting this to happen for many many years, now they're getting a chance to have it their way they suddenly are no longer on the face of the earth and are all hiding instead of explaining just how exactly we are going to have full access to the EU zone for trade and such while ignoring the one key rule the EU have that goes hand in hand with allowing said access.....

This really is just so incredible ridiculous...

I've seen a lot of comments online that we are just seeing the market over-reacting and things will be fine in a few days/weeks. Therefore I imagine the pro Leavers are sitting back and hoping that the markets rebound quickly.

trembli0s

Like it or not if it was easy the system would be rorted, it is rorted already, but its a balance between pissing honest people off and detecting fraudulent applications. It has to be a fraught process otherwise whole industries are setup overnight to drive people through the process with cardboard thin arrangements. I bet most americans with overseas friends know of sham or paper thin marriages, even with the difficult process.

Yeah, I work in immigration law and ICE is actually pretty fucking serious about sham marriages now. I've heard stories of them coming to the front door and knocking before conducting an investigation.

Usually that ends up with the applicant "spouse" not even living in the same home and not having any clothes or possession in the house.

There's a lot of people willing to scam the system.

Logic88

Neo Member
I've seen a lot of comments online that we are just seeing the market over-reacting and things will be fine in a few days/weeks. Therefore I imagine the pro Leavers are sitting back and hoping that the markets rebound quickly.

Ah right, so they're just wishing and hoping for the best then......always great to base plans and economic judgement on things other than experts......But I am sure that serious questions about how exactly their pipe dream of using the EU for trade without letting EU members have free movement isn't something they should be explaining at all....I mean they won the vote somehow without explaining it so why explain it now

200_s.gif

LewieP

I wonder if the reason that labour are sticking to the "we have to follow the will of the people" line is because they know it's not their mess to clean up. They're calling the Leave wing of the Tory government's bluff.

If they were all trying to challenge the referendum result now, it would be unpopular with the public who voted leave. I imagine they'd change their tune in the run up to a general election.

Ok sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is huge now.......has anyone who ran the campaign to leave, or the Tory MPs who were wanting to leave etc at all commented on the fact that they were saying that the experts were wrong and had an agenda for saying it'd cause huge economic issues if we voted to leave, which now turned out to be true?...

Don't confuse the stock market and currency market with the economic fundamentals. They are linked but the relationship isn't perfect otherwise nobody would care about unemployment rates, gdp, balance of trade and so on. All the figures nobody will have months and quarters and years to come. There might be huge economic issues or might not but right now there is just uncertainty and markets dislike uncertainty so they move money in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom