• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

mid83

Ah right, so they're just wishing and hoping for the best then......always great to base plans and economic judgement on things other than experts......But I am sure that serious questions about how exactly their pipe dream of using the EU for trade without letting EU members have free movement isn't something they should be explaining at all....I mean they won the vote somehow without explaining it so why explain it now

200_s.gif

Keep in mind, I'm not endorsing that idea, but rather just offering an opinion to why the Leave camp has basically been silent since Friday.

As an outside observer it sounds like people like Johnson used this as a power play without actually thinking Leave would win. That would also explain the silence now as they are clueless on how to proceed and kist hopeful that things don't go as bad as expected.

Expect EU to smoke Britain out unless the brits convince everyone that they will not leave, like ever.

There is no reason to listen to UK opinion on anything or give any funding on UK focused projects ect. until the limbo state is over. You either stay or leave, there is no middle ground here for the long term.

norinrad

Expect EU to smoke Britain out unless the brits convince everyone that they will not leave, like ever.

There is no reason to listen to UK opinion on anything or give any funding on UK focused projects ect. until the limbo state is over. You either stay or leave, there is no middle ground here for the long term.

Threatening them could empower the right-wing parties in France and Austria, people should really stop applying this narrative.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Any possible saving face method from the UK that doesn't make the EU look bad.
so that others do not fear the EU are holding countries back and at the same time stop others from trying to leave by doing the same Brexit bluff?

The Government admits they did this as an oppinion referendum and results to close to call. So the result

compromised EU status such As they stay in EU but tow the line do not pull this shit again. Last chance .
EU movement.

the EU instead of forcing us out could help put in place measures to stop us imploding thus having a knock on to other members.

This will show the EU does listen and looks after members.

Threatening them could empower the right-wing parties in France and Austria, people should really stop applying this narrative.

I will be extremely baffled if EU-UK relations are business as usual while there is no idea if they are staying or not. Why would EU fund long term projects in UK in a situation like this over the other countries? They need to give a straight answer if they are going to leave or not and if they are what is the timetable.

Joni

Any possible saving face method from the UK that doesn't make the EU look bad.
so that others do not fear the EU are holding countries back and at the same time stop others from trying to leave by doing the same Brexit bluff?

Be it compromised EU status such As they stay in EU but tow the line do not pull this shit again.
EU movement.

Maybe the EU instead of forcing us out could help put in place measures to stop us imploding thus having a knock on to other members.

This will show the EU does listen and looks after members.

It would basically involve a couple of British politicians fall on their swords killing their careers but cementing themselves as 'statesmen' instead of egocentrical maniacs, claiming that this will lead to a better working EU and giving up a couple of their veto's to appease the EU. Cameron should run on this platform to make a chance.

oti

Banned
There will be consequences to this. Only way I could see this not happening is UK giving up all their privileges but keeping the EU membership. If that's even a possibility.

Again, the Eastern EU bloc (and some other members) would be furious if nothing changed and I can't really blame them.

Pandy

I've seen a lot of comments online that we are just seeing the market over-reacting and things will be fine in a few days/weeks. Therefore I imagine the pro Leavers are sitting back and hoping that the markets rebound quickly.
Technically, nothing has changed. We're still in the same place in the EU as we were last week or last month, so it is fairly easy to chalk up the market events as 'speculation' and 'scaremongering'. I'm not sure at which point we'll be able to point to something and say, 'This is a consequence of leaving the EU,' as opposed to, 'This is a consequence of voting to leave the EU.' It's much harder to be persuasive with the latter.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It would basically involve a couple of British politicians fall on their swords killing their careers but cementing themselves as 'statesmen' instead of egocentrical maniacs, claiming that this will lead to a better working EU and giving up a couple of their veto's to appease the EU. Cameron should run on this platform to make a chance.

If they have any balls this is what they will do also at the same time trash farage and the lies they have been selling.

A diplomatic solution where we can all save face and address the issues present. Given the fear of a domino effect to the EU propping us back up again will stop that. EU behind the scenes helps the UK Government have the help with sorting out development of poorer areas creating more trade business and jobs.

The UK Like chuck in better call Saul. May be have issues but HHM (EU) still need him.

Pandy

Cameron already had the chance to dive onto the hand-grenade for the good of the country, instead he chose to fling it in Johnson's direction and run the other way.

People were congratulating him for 'check-mating' his opponents in some brilliant strategic move, but the simple fact is that everything up to now has been Cameron's doing. It remains to be seen if anyone is prepared to step forward and attempt to undo the damage he has done.

This is all just the most surreal thing. I'm starting to think there may actually be a nonzero chance the whole process just falls apart. What's happening today is straight out of books and hypothetical studies... It's like the enormous train wreck you spent your whole adult life speculating about never actually considering it plausible. It's so nuts.. Where are they? They all vanished. Farage said the 350m thing was a mistake and then like Keyser Soze... "Poof! He's gone!"

A package of dangerous, manipulative lies, hatred, fear and vitriol, wrapped up in the flag and peddled with malice contempt to a frightened, febrile population by a cabal of half wits and gormless buffoons who have not the slightest appreciation of the gravity of what they are proposing or the faintest idea how they would accomplish it. They won and then essentially admitted it was a package of lies. Straight up. Not a single one of the lot has credibility anymore. They have completely delegitimised their entire cohort.

Cameron decided it was worth the power gamble and in a couple of days we had our prime minister resign, there has been a coup against the Labour leader, Scotland it's introducing the possibility of calling a second referendum for independence, the pound has had one of the biggest falls in one day and we even have banks talking of moving jobs to Europe. For what?! BoJo is now "We're not going to do much... I just wanted David's job". These guys... I know politicians don't lend respect in general, but these guys need to be run out of town with extreme prejudice. I'm talking Game of Thrones shame punishments. That would be appropriate... this was deceit and manipulation of the highest order. For people who are allegedly "conservative" this is the absolute pinnacle of reckless behaviour.

This is becoming more farcical than any episode of the Thick of it.

Someone else as likened it to have we woken up in an Iannucci simulator?

liquidtmd

Banned
This is becoming more farcical than any episode of the Thick of it.

Someone else as likened it to have we woken up in an Iannucci simulator?

Oh don't you worry, there's going to be some amazing satire for decades coming out of this weekend.

After we've stopped crying and, you know, getting fucked by this

jonno394

There will be consequences to this. Only way I could see this not happening is UK giving up all their privileges but keeping the EU membership. If that's even a possibility.

Again, the Eastern EU bloc (and some other members) would be furious if nothing changed and I can't really blame them.

Why do you believe there will be consequences? Unless we explicitly announce to the eu that we are leaving, then we are still in the eu and they have no right to take anything from us or demand things from us regarding our membership.

daviyoung

Banned
Oh don't you worry, there's going to be some amazing satire for decades coming out of this weekend.

Too late. Satire is a preventative medicine, not a cure. In lieu of any decent political satire in the last few years the government has just decided to make its own and this is the pickle we end up in.

Because no one wants an unfaithful partner who at a whim creates chaos for everyone? I'm not sure why there's now this idea that this weird limbo can carry on in perpetuity with business as usual.

Joni

Cameron already had the chance to dive onto the hand-grenade for the good of the country, instead he chose to fling it in Johnson's direction and run the other way.

People were congratulating him for 'check-mating' his opponents in some brilliant strategic move, but the simple fact is that everything up to now has been Cameron's doing. It remains to be seen if anyone is prepared to step forward and attempt to undo the damage he has done.

He lost. He needs other to lose to get a shot again as the sane choice.

Why do you believe there will be consequences? Unless we explicitly announce to the eu that we are leaving, then we are still in the eu and they have no right to take anything from us or demand things from us regarding our membership.

Do you remember that deal Cameron came back with stuff he got from the EU? The one he claimed was legally binding? That would still need to be approved by every country and be put into treaties. Nobody is giving the UK that anymore.

jonno394

He lost. He needs other to lose to get a shot again as the sane choice.

Do you remember that deal Cameron came back with stuff he got from the EU? The one he claimed was legally binding? That would still need to be approved by every country and be put into treaties. Nobody is giving the UK that anymore.

Yeah but that still doesn't mean we'd have to give up all preexisting privileges if we decide to remain

Is anyone else finding getting ready for school/work/uni hard right now? Like you just don't want face this, any of it?

Something deeper than the EU membership has been ripped away these last 3 days. Almost like the country is steping out without makeup for the first time in years. All I feel is unease right now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Because no one wants an unfaithful partner who at a whim creates chaos for everyone? I'm not sure why there's now this idea that this weird limbo can carry on in perpetuity with business as usual.

Maybe it's not unfaithful more like a partner who contributed a lot to the relationship wants their voice heard.

To keep the relationship bridges open a compromise mist be reached .
.could be UK goes Norway model EU and UK Citizens move around Europe and UK. That is the one thing neither will stop. Trade with Eauvyoy abide by the laws.

Limited EU funding for a few years after brexit so UK can get up on its feet but EU has preferential trade first then outside after. So uk can keep trading and developing EU relationship still.

People feel heard both sides and it doesn't put the EU into domino territory.

I'm hoping for a compromise of sorts where we leave but maintain relationships with trade and movement, businesses and families don't collapse .

oti

Banned

You really think everyone will just go "alrighty then, that was something, let's just forget all about it". Really?

The UK has no right to take the EU hostage over political games either.

liquidtmd

Banned
Just browsed the Daily Fail....my God....they still are screaming for leave, but 'MPs and Brussels are threatening to block Brexit and deny us'

Jesus wept.

Kathian

Banned
Why would the EU provide funding to a non EU UK ?

People seem to cut the bad bits and good bits and not realise that it's only possible to have all the good with some bad.

jonno394

You really think everyone will just go "alrighty then, that was something, let's just forget all about it". Really?

The UK has no right to take the EU hostage over political games either.

Honestly? Yes. If we turn round today and say we're not leaving and there won't be a referendum in our lifetimes.
They can't turn round and say "if you want to keep your membership you need to do this and this" that's not how it works. We're members until we decide to leave.

Fusebox

Banned
UK trying to create, newer, better, EU replacement, CANZUK!

It's a proposed EU style work/live single zone between Canada/Australia/New Zealand/UK, but I'm gonna pretend the CAN part is for Canada -totes.

Hey Aussies, keep your damned bogans! We don't want them here, eh?

Fuck that, just because we were too apathetic to vote to become a republic last time doesn't mean we want the EUs slops.

Looks like I'm not the only one:

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/brexit-gives-rise-to-australian-republic-push-20160626-gps7ra.html

Is anyone else finding getting ready for school/work/uni hard right now? Like you just don't want face this, any of it?

Something deeper than the EU membership has been ripped away these last 3 days. All I feel is unease right now.

Sorta. Until i twigged it wouldn't affect the non UK + non EU students on my course (we just finished first year at LCC in London) i was more worried/depressed.

Now...i await what happens but find it mind boggling that some Vote Leavers say the Remainers are sore losers who hate Democracy despite (esp for those old enough to remember times of economic turbulence) knowingly voting for an option that will economically shaft them for years/decades to come.

Of course they won't take it lying down. I'm no student of politics but to me the idea of a binary choice on such a complex matter was idiotic...I'm not saying there should be a rerun but I can understand why a generation or two feel like their economic future has been decided for them.

Derision of their protests is...I'm not sure of the word but they have as much of a right to it as their right to vote, imo. Doesn't help that Leave didn't have any inkling of a plan (I wonder why, Eh Boris?).

oti

Banned
Honestly? Yes. If we turn round today and say we're not leaving and there won't be a referendum in our lifetimes.
They can't turn round and say "if you want to keep your membership you need to do this and this" that's not how it works. We're members until we decide to leave.

This is already crazy, you want to up the crazy even more? The EU negotiated better terms for the UK under the impression that Cameron would invoke Art. 50 immediately. That didn't happen. How long do you think the EU will accept this kind of behaviour?

I don't want Brexit to happen but look at this from a more realistic point of view.

Addnan

So, "we got rid of you cunts". Happened last night..

Second generation South Asian. Born, raised, study, work, lived my whole life here.. Hm.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Something deeper than the EU membership has been ripped away these last 3 days. Almost like the country is steping out without makeup for the first time in years. All I feel is unease right now.

Yup. My career prospects are in the toilet right now. All the hard work I've put in has been scuppered for a decade at least. I was looking at doubling my salary in the next five years, now I'll be lucky if I even have a job in that time.

So yeah, getting up is hard right now. Probably not helped by the image macros being posted on Facebook by Leavers about togetherness and rolling up our sleeves. Seriously, if I see another retiree talk about us all working hard and pulling together I'll chuck my fucking iPad out the window.

Maledict

Are you insane?

Seriously, we just showed the entire world how dumb we are and you think Europe will just sit back forever and do nothing whilst we realise what a complete fuck up we have done? Either we back down rapidly and fast, or Europe will start the process to push us out. Hell, anyone working with an EU grant or funding will know that we are being told about them ending right now already.

The idea that the UK is the one calling the shots here is laughable.

They're not going to consider 50 until there's a new PM? lol? Already desperate for ways out, and hey I don't blame them with 2 major parties unraveling in a few days.

It's hectic as hell, I know, but this is about a hundred years of change you'd see in American politics in less than a week. As an American that impresses me. As a global citizen I'm of course worried.

jonno394

Are you insane?

Seriously, we just showed the entire world how dumb we are and you think Europe will just sit back forever and do nothing whilst we realise what a complete fuck up we have done? Either we back down rapidly and fast, or Europe will start the process to push us out. Hell, anyone working with an EU grant or funding will know that we are being told about them ending right now already.

The idea that the UK is the one calling the shots here is laughable.

My comment was in line with "back down rapidly and fast" so no, I'm not insane. If we don't invoke the act and hold our hands up, things can then proceed to attempt to return to normality.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My comment was in line with "back down rapidly and fast" so no, I'm not insane. If we don't invoke the act and hold our hands up, things can then proceed to attempt to return to normality.

I think they are backing down and trying to work out a deal save face for all

Daffy Duck

No chance we can hold our hands up and carry on, we've caused a right shit storm and we're now just dilly dallying about now causing even more uncertainty.

This thing has destroyed us. I voted remain too.

We're looking so silly right now it's unreal.

norinrad

No chance we can hold our hands up and carry on, we've caused a right shit storm and we're now just dilly dallying about now causing even more uncertainty.

This thing has destroyed us. I voted remain too.

We're looking so silly right now it's unreal.

Don't underestimate Brussels , they could give in as uncertainty could trigger a domino effect with the Southern countries being the victims of this fallout.

We all need to hold on for what's to come. Everyone is fucked for years to come. The second largest economy in the EU and the fifth in the world is imploding and we all need to stop being emotional. What we need is clear thinking and staying calm as we work out what needs to be done. I doubt some of the people in Brussels even understand article 50, the reality is just sinking in on them as well and no one has any answers right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom