• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Shock horror

Osbourne confirms there will be no emergency budget

Who would of thought...yet another lie.

Mr Osborne appeared to retreat from his position before the referendum that there would have to be an emergency Budget in the wake of a vote for Brexit.
He said there would still need to be an "adjustment" in the UK economy, but that it was "perfectly sensible to wait for a new prime minister" before taking any such action.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Don't underestimate Brussels , they could give in as uncertainty could trigger a domino effect with the Southern countries being the victims of this fallout.

I hope this is the case.

I believe behind the scenes something is being worked out.

Jezbollah

Shock horror

I do wonder if Cameron kicking the negotiations down the road a little on Friday had something to do with that.

I think GO's job in that conference was to calm down and reassure markets before they open in half an hour.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think they are backing down and trying to work out a deal save face for all

Absolute certainty they are attempting to work out an out.

After hearing the response from Europe, its 'invoke it now or don't' time.

If a Second Ref isn't called beforehand, a GE will be called for early Sept, parties will campaign on whether they invoke Article 50 or not and the result will be at least enough protest that it gives the forming Government enough rope to say 'stop the goddamn fight'

EU will hate us but they hate us anyway

frontieruk

I do wonder if Cameron kicking the negotiations down the road a little on Friday had something to do with that.

I think GO's job in that conference was to calm down and reassure markets before they open in half an hour.

Indeed. We're finding more and more that thr Remain campaign was filled with fearmongering lies.

confirms there will be no emergency budget .

No he said it would be the new prime ministers problem... along with a new Chancellor probably

I can't believe "It was just a prank bro" is actually a potential outcome of this whole thing.

UK is gonna be the laughing stock of the world for a while either way. Congrats.

oti

Banned
Johnson, Gove and Farage must lead negotiations - Heseltine
Posted at 08:38
Lord Heseltine
BBC

Conservative peer Lord Heseltine says "the people who created this mess" - Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage - must be the ones to carry out the negotiations with the EU - and do it quickly. "If you put anyone else in charge they will disown it," he says.

The former deputy prime minister says those negotiations "will produce a quite unacceptable deal for this country and the House of Commons will then say, 'No, we can't accept that.'

"And the only way to deal with that is to have a general election or another referendum."

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

I'm sure this entire affair will lead to the UK having more weight and standing with the rest of the Union. They will finally have to take the UK seriously.
[/s]

I can't believe "It was just a prank bro" is actually a potential outcome of this whole thing.

UK is gonna be the laughing stock of the world for a while either way. Congrats.

Lol in some ways we already are. The extreme nationalism and longing for the Empire does that I guess. The arguments that we solo'd Germany twice are insulting to everyone else.

Boris' face when he saw Leave actually got the slimmest of majorities should be prime Curb your Enthusiasm music material.

Tak3n

Banned
No he said it would be the new prime ministers problem... along with a new Chancellor probably

He said he fixed the roof....

Can not have it both ways, either he lied or did not...if he fixed the roof as he is now saying..then he is a stone faced liar...as he did not say that in the campaign.

Hahaha, good luck with that.

It's informal for a reason, you can't stop a few people meeting up and having a chat.

If they actually try to stop the UK talking to others informally the headlines write themselves.

Is this some sort of joke or..?

If course people can talk.. However EU officials wont

frontieruk

What if this is being worked out so we don't get totally fucked eu not bad guys so no domino effect.

That's the point of deferring the budget, trying to stabilise the markets in the short term, it also hints that Osborne is stepping down as he wants none of it.

Shock horror

Hence saying there will need to be an adjustment later on. Right now he's trying to calm the stock market that a tiny majority of the UK have just thrown under the bus. That's his job after all.

Silver lining from all of this, courtesy of Boris:

"There will still be intense and intensifying European co-operation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment.

"EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

"The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU's extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal."

We all knew he was pro-EU (well, maybe Leave voters didn't). Looks like we'll be working to keep absolutely everything in place, as it was, with slightly more power for the UK government. Will likely cost us more than £350 million now, and of course Leave voters will be pissed that immigration is going nowhere, but hopefully most of them will remain blissfully unaware they were lied to and still be happy that they "won" the referendum.

oti

Banned
BOOM - thereitis.gif

Don't just throw them under the bus - put them on the bus and drive it like it's the Finale of The Young Ones

I just love how he insists these people should lead the negotiations but is already saying they will be rubbish anyway. It's just really fitting in this mess.

PJV3

Can not have it both ways, either he lied or did not...if he fixed the roof as he is now saying..then he is a stone faced liar...as he did not say that in the campaign.

The roof being the fallout from 2008

Crumpo

So, "we got rid of you cunts". Happened last night..

Second generation South Asian. Born, raised, study, work, lived my whole life here.. Hm.

Sickening. So sorry to hear. All I have at risk is my job;I can probably get another one. The hate this referendum has now legitimised is scary.

xandaca

What we should do is bash out an FTA as the EU has with South Africa, for instance, whereby (as I understand it) we get negotiated access to the European market but are not bound by free movement or European law not related to trade. The big downsides, of course, are that we'd have to abide by EU product/trade standards and regulations with no say in them, and we definitely wouldn't be part of the EU's agreements with other non-EU states, which he'd have to negotiate individually on our own. In both cases, we're likely to get a heavily watered down version of the conditions we have now (particularly with Europe in vindictive mood) but those kinds of FTAs are far less restrictive than joining the EEA - although, of course, the more of the market we access, the more regulations we're subject to - but far more complicated in terms of still having to negotiate all the non-EU trade deals that we could take for granted before. Nevertheless, it seems the best halfway house for everyone to me, respecting both our need to be in the European market (and Europe's need for us to be there) and reflecting the referendum's refusal of free movement and EU law.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling Article 50 is going to invoked sooner rather than later, when we should really do it at the absolute last possible minute, once a clear framework for post-exit Britain has been established and we have the expertise and manpower to make it happen. Getting it right should be considered a long term project, even if the uncertainty will be damaging for us and the EU too, but we'd only feel that pain multiplied by ten in the long run by doing things in a hurry now. The moment the two year countdown is initiated, Brussels holds all the cards, so we should only go in knowing exactly where we can stand and on as firm a ground as possible. Until then, the euro makes the EU powerful but immobile, unable to do anything about the situation until we decide to take the plunge, whereas we are considerably less powerful but also more nimble, still in the EU until we decide to leave and able to scope out conditions to ensure businesses will want to stick around once we're out, and to start laying the foundations for trade arrangements with other nations. Once Article 50 hits, we're largely impotent, but are in a solid enough position until then.

The best thing for everyone would be for the EU and the UK to peacefully arrange a deal whereby the UK accepts a slightly, but not debilitatingly, lesser version of what we have now, allowing both sides an effective win (we don't get significantly worse terms, the EU gets to show there's no advantage to leaving) but I get the feeling Brussels are going to try and hardball us, in which case we have to hardball them right back as much as we can. Playing defensively would be catastrophic and they need us enough (even if we need them more) that we can aim for far better terms than those which Norway/Switzerland etc were able to achieve.

drawkcaB

UK trying to create, newer, better, EU replacement, CANZUK!

It's a proposed EU style work/live single zone between Canada/Australia/New Zealand/UK, but I'm gonna pretend the CAN part is for Canada -totes.

Hey Aussies, keep your damned bogans! We don't want them here, eh?

What a fucking hack this guy is.

author said:
No sooner had Cameron announced the victory of the Leave side today, then messages of support began arriving from Commonwealth prime ministers promising closer ties and trade agreements.

And he arrived at that conclusion based on the article in the link, headlined by:

Canada Prime Minister Trudeau to Continue Working With U.K., EU After ‘Brexit’ Vote

So let me get this straight. Trudeau says he'd like to continue working with U.K., a rather meaningless "oh crap, better say something about this" statement and the author lumps him in somehow with a message supporting Brexit. The same Justin Trudeau that UKIP members criticized for his explicit, and overt support for the UK to remain in the EU.

author said:
Beyond that, there is an interesting development, which to date, has been under the radar of most international political observers, but which now has been given a green light by yesterday’s and today’s events.

I can't help but feel the only reason it's under the radar is because this shit heel and his two [assumed] friends are the only guys who are talking about it at all.

author said:
Unlike many so-called “allies”, when America has asked for help, these usually have shown up with soldiers, ships and planes. If such a plan went ahead, America could end up with the kind of partner it had always hoped the EU would be but which never showed up in reality.

As a Canadian, fuck off. I'm sure the author sympathizes with my need to have my international affairs up to my country and my country alone.

liquidtmd

Banned
I just love how he insists these people should lead the negotiations but is already saying they will be rubbish anyway. It's just really fitting in this mess.

Absolutely - like a parent to a child :'you wanted to move out, you have no money - go ahead and try to negotiate a mortgage and come back to us when all the banks have said no so we can block your exit on those grounds'

PJV3

Hestletine is insane if he thinks sending Farage to the EU is the right thing to do.

I'm getting a twisted feeling in my stomach at the idea.

EMT0

Banned
What we should do is bash out an FTA as the EU has with South Africa, for instance, whereby (as I understand it) we get negotiated access to the European market but are not bound by free movement or European law not related to trade. The big downsides, of course, are that we'd have to abide by EU product/trade standards and regulations with no say in them, and we definitely wouldn't be part of the EU's agreements with other non-EU states, which he'd have to negotiate individually on our own. In both cases, we're likely to get a heavily watered down version of the conditions we have now (particularly with Europe in vindictive mood) but those kinds of FTAs are far less restrictive than joining the EEA - although, of course, the more of the market we access, the more regulations we're subject to - but far more complicated in terms of still having to negotiate all the non-EU trade deals that we could take for granted before. Nevertheless, it seems the best halfway house for everyone to me, respecting both our need to be in the European market (and Europe's need for us to be there) and reflecting the referendum's refusal of free movement and EU law.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling Article 50 is going to invoked sooner rather than later, when we should really do it at the absolute last possible minute, once a clear framework for post-exit Britain has been established and we have the expertise and manpower to make it happen. Getting it right should be considered a long term project, even if the uncertainty will be damaging for us and the EU too, but we'd only feel that pain multiplied by ten in the long run by doing things in a hurry now. The moment the two year countdown is initiated, Brussels holds all the cards, so we should only go in knowing exactly where we can stand and on as firm a ground as possible. Until then, the euro makes the EU powerful but immobile, unable to do anything about the situation until we decide to take the plunge, whereas we are considerably less powerful but also more nimble, still in the EU until we decide to leave and able to scope out conditions to ensure businesses will want to stick around once we're out, and to start laying the foundations for trade arrangements with other nations. Once Article 50 hits, we're largely impotent, but are in a solid enough position until then.

The best thing for everyone would be for the EU and the UK to peacefully arrange a deal whereby the UK accepts a slightly, but not debilitatingly, lesser version of what we have now, allowing both sides an effective win (we don't get significantly worse terms, the EU gets to show there's no advantage to leaving) but I get the feeling Brussels are going to try and hardball us, in which case we have to hardball them right back as much as we can. Playing defensively would be catastrophic and they need us enough (even if we need them more) that we can aim for far better terms than those which Norway/Switzerland etc were able to achieve.

Why in the hell would the EU let the UK extend this more than it needs to be? Why would they let the UK receive part of the benefits of EU membership for essentially throwing a temper tantrum and swearing to leave the house, being sick of its parent's rules? Why would they be okay with letting Britain have it easy when their primary role in the EU has been obstruction for the last decade? Unlike one's parents, the EU has no obligation or love for the UK that our parents would for us.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, "we got rid of you cunts". Happened last night..

Second generation South Asian. Born, raised, study, work, lived my whole life here.. Hm.

Appaling. These idiots crawling out of the woodwork because they think Brexit means half the country shares their backwards mindset.

I hope they're just an extreme, vocal minority who will get shut down before this sort of behaviour escalates into something more.

frontieruk

Lol he's trying to calm the markets, fixing the roof was reference of getting austerity measures under control, else this shitshow would be worse, but as it is I can leave it to be someone else's problem in a few months.

Q: An emergency budget?

I’ve got an important job to do. I respect the decision of the referendum. The result will have an impact on public finances, but we will have to wait until we have a new prime minister.

You don't wipe over a trillion out of the economy, have unrest in the markets without effecting the pound in the public's pocket, he's just issued a stay of execution.

Hestletine is insane if he thinks sending Farage to the EU is the right thing to do.

5fe30ff6cb009858c4825de1c9a6a5706388c1b82e7e0eafb2d61541c1559c9d.jpg

Also applies to many Leave voters...

My comment was in line with "back down rapidly and fast" so no, I'm not insane. If we don't invoke the act and hold our hands up, things can then proceed to attempt to return to normality.
A rapid back down perhaps. But that doesn't seem forthcoming. There seems to be a sentiment that the UK can just drag this on indefinitely though without any adverse reaction. And that seems wishful thinking.

Heseltine knows exactly what he is saying, let's these idiots deal with the fallout, watch them backtrack and squirm when they realise how much damage it will cause and give them full blame.

Lol he's trying to calm the markets, fixing the roof was reference of getting austerity measures under control, else this shitshow would be worse, but as it is I can leave it to be someone else's problem in a few months.

Q: An emergency budget?

I’ve got an important job to do. I respect the decision of the referendum. The result will have an impact on public finances, but we will have to wait until we have a new prime minister.

You don't wipe over a trillion out of the economy, have unrest in the markets without effecting the pound in the public's pocket, he's just issued a stay of execution.

He had a glint in his eye, I think he is waiting somewhere down the line for his replacement to get torn apart over what is coming. How long before we start to hear "I told you so" from him or Cameron.

Crumpo

Heseltine knows exactly what he is saying, let's these idiots deal with the fallout, watch them backtrack and squirm when they realise how much damage it will cause and give them full blame.

Anything less than full involvement of the leave organisers will give them an excuse to blame someone else for the failure to negotiate the unrealistic deal they peddled to voters.

I want Farage to emerge from weeks of late-night negotiations to "we got nothing..."

PJV3

Anything less than full involvement of the leave organisers will give them an excuse to blame someone else for the failure to negotiate the unrealistic deal they peddled to voters.

I want Farage to emerge from weeks of late-night negotiations to "we got nothing..."

People will take the nothing, be aware of that. They have their union flag glasses on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom