• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I can't believe "It was just a prank bro" is actually a potential outcome of this whole thing.

UK is gonna be the laughing stock of the world for a while either way. Congrats.

It's not just a potential outcome. It is literally the best possible outcome. All more sensible outcomes are worse*.

* The United Kingdom Story.

You won't get a deal that will appease Leavers without totally fucking the country. It's a complete non-option to enter into any sort of negotiation with the EU and someone needs to call this off.

That is the best option for everyone now.

They wanted out of the EU. That's it. Beyond that there were no firm promises, just "possibilities" as stated by IDS.

They were duped and that's their fucking fault.

Yeah, and I absolutely get it. Trust me, no-one is as happy to see the pig fucker out of office than me.

I just think back to the last election and remember how disappointed I was that the Tories won so comfortably, but then I remember thinking at the time "maybe the British public understood that Ed simply wasn't up to the task", which made me feel relieved that at least our country was voting in a reasonably intelligent way, rather than trying to fuck the status quo for the sake of it despite the frustrations of the working class and outside of London.

Apparently I was wrong.

You're not wrong, that's exactly what it was. No viable competition to Cameron. This time we had Boris against Cameron though, championing the people of Britain alongside a bizarrely popular Gove and Farage. Suddenly the people had the viable alternatives they were looking for, but were too angry and desperate for ANY kind of change to really factor the EU into any of this.

Warn sure, but throwing around terms like "Recession" "Emergency Budget" go beyond the pale, he has contributed to the issues we are currently having and any business looking at the UK now will know its own Chancellor thinks we are screwed, or at least said we were, whether he thinks it or not is asinine.

There will be a recession and there will be an emergency budget, just not when Osborne is there, it would be much more irresponsible to hide what can happen, business would look at the UK as too risky and untrustworthy, unreliable and deceitful. Trust me that's not what you want when looking for future investment. Tell the truth, be open and business respects you more.

kmag

Warn sure, but throwing around terms like "Recession" "Emergency Budget" go beyond the pale, he has contributed to the issues we are currently having and any business looking at the UK now will know its own Chancellor thinks we are screwed, or at least said we were, whether he thinks it or not is asinine.
There's going to be recession even mr leave farage is saying that although he's trying to say it was due anyway and accession will have nothing to do with it

Sorry if you bought into the sunshine and roses

E-phonk

Banned
Which in my country The Netherlands a lot of people also want a Nexit ref. People are underestimating the disgust with the EU as it is today on the mainland itself.

They have even less bargaining power than the UK.

Crazy how far people would risk everything they have (peace, economics stability, strong allies, worldwide bargaining power, unified social rights, ...) for some good old racism.

Dascu

I think the European union also needs to remember what it is. I think many countries are frustrated that more and more rights are stripped from their country and given to un-elected officials in brussels.

Who are the un-elected officials?

The EU consists of three bodies, of which the first two have the decisive power:
- Council: Led by the the national governments (AKA Cameron, Merkel, etc.). These are elected/chosen according to the national member state law.
- Parliament: MEPs which are members of parliament that were all voted on during the European elections. No middle-man at all.
- Commission (no decisive power, only proposes things): Led by 28 Commissioners, each from a Member State, which were chosen/co-opted by the national governments and confirmed by MEPs. E.g. Lord Hill who was chosen by Cameron and the Tory party, plus confirmed by the MEPs in the Parliament.

Also the President of the Commission, Juncker, was chosen by the EPP party because they attained the majority in the Parliament. It was quite clear during the election cycle that a vote for the EPP would be a vote for Juncker (and vice versa Schulz for the S&D).

Where do you draw the line between being elected or not? Obviously the Commission is the 'least' elected, as they were not directly voted on by citizens but rather by the national goverments and the European Parliament (who each were directly voted on). The Commission is also the least powerful since everything has to pass through Council and Parliament.

It's the same system in Belgium for instance: I vote for a political group who gets the seats in our House of Representatives and Senate, and they then decide on the Government/Ministers (AKA Commission).

I wonder if the country is in freefall just because we are in the egg-breaking stage of omelette preparation.

I mean Chef Boris should have written down the recipe but really it's only an omelette, a child can make an omelette.

You've got to be a special kind of stupid to think reorganising complex systems of government and renegotiating trade agreements with multiple countries and trading blocks is as simple as making an omelette.

syoaran

After reading Jonhsons article this morning, I've got to wonder what rock he's been under the last 4 days. A lot of fiction here, in fact I'm struggling to find any truths. The idea that the EU will keep an open single market, without free movement is total fiction. The idea that the Scotish people "have no appetite" for a new ref is bizzare. The fact that he thinks that the market is over-reacting is kinda funny.

I guess the only truth is that the country is now deeply divided, and as many GAF'rs have stated -it's likely to get worse as UKIP predictable turns on any negotiation efforts the ruling party has in navigating this mess.

daviyoung

Banned
You've got to be a special kind of stupid to think reorganising complex systems of government and renegotiating trade agreements with multiple countries and trading blocks is as simple as making an omelette.

Have you ever watched Saturday Kitchen though? I've seen plenty well spoken and educated people fuck up making an omelette.

DrFurbs

There is huge Eurosceptiism across the continent. It's not reported here on mainstream news for some reason but it's on YouTube . Many member states feel the way the Brits do and have done for years.

Question is, do they have the balls to do anything about it?

avaya

Watch for corporate profit warnings to come.

Foxtons down 24% today on expected H2 slump now.

Consensus expectation is for negative Q4 GDP.

gg morons. gg.

E-phonk

Banned

The EU consists of three bodies, of which the first two have the decisive power:
- Council: Led by the the national governments (AKA Cameron, Merkel, etc.). These are elected/chosen according to the national member state law.
- Parliament: MEPs which are members of parliament that were all voted on during the European elections. No middle-man at all.
- Commission (no decisive power, only proposes things): Led by 28 Commissioners, each from a Member State, which were chosen/co-opted by the national governments and confirmed by MEPs. E.g. Lord Hill who was chosen by Cameron and the Tory party, plus confirmed by the MEPs in the Parliament.

Also the President of the Commission, Juncker, was chosen by the EPP party because they attained the majority in the Parliament. It was quite clear during the election cycle that a vote for the EPP would be a vote for Juncker (and vice versa Schulz for the S&D).

Where do you draw the line between being elected or not? Obviously the Commission is the 'least' elected, as they were not directly voted on by citizens but rather by the national goverments and the European Parliament (who each were directly voted on). The Commission is also the least powerful since everything has to pass through Council and Parliament.

It's the same system in Belgium for instance: I vote for a political group who gets the seats in our House of Representatives and Senate, and they then decide on the Government/Ministers (AKA Commission).

This.

There is huge Eurosceptiism across the continent. It's not reported here on mainstream news for some reason but it's on YouTube . Many member states feel the way the Brits do and have done for years.

I always get my political news from youtube comments.

liquidtmd

Banned

Since we are about to be castrasted, no

Mivey

He'd need a really masterful negotiation to get that. The major bargaining chip the UK had with EU has always been "give us what we demand, or we leave". Now he'd be saying "hey we're leaving already, now give us what we demand, or..." or what, "we leave even more" ?
UK just called its own bluff... and lost.
Starting with the leave decision puts UK in a position of weakness towards EU integration. The whole point was to get more distance from it after all, not a better position for negotiations.
It's not so much "masterful negotiation" as it it would need to be "inhuman mindcontrol powers". The UK just spent months to get a few exemption, mostly about paying healthcare for EU citizens for the first few months. Add to that the special relation that it already has by allowing the City of London to be except from many financial regulations.
And now they want even more goodies, because of a really uninformed vote, mostly based on painting the EU as some sort of evil dictatorship?
Why should most EU countries, that don't have a lot of trade with the UK ever agree to that? Germany has a lot of clout, but there are limits to everything. If you show 27 countries the bird, they won't just shut up because of Merkel.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Watch for corporate profit warnings to come.

Foxtons down 24% today on expected H2 slump now.

Consensus expectation is for negative Q4 GDP.

gg morons. gg.

Hopefully any negative growth is reported before Article 50 is triggered; any front loaded shit news is good news right about now.

frontieruk

Echo chamber that is Google's algorithms, if you're looking at that type of thing you get shown more and more of it, doesn't mean it's a large enough sentiment to achieve what happened here.

There are always people who hate the government because "reasons". Any government. Always were, always will be.

The only thing that changed is that they have a more or less unified voice now because of the internet and a common enemy that they can complain about across borders. Doesn't mean they're any more correct.

Once they leave the EU they will complain about their own government once things stay just as "bad" or get worse. What then?

Absolutely not. The majority of the British public voted this way because they're angry with the government for not listening to them, and for looking down on them. That's why you're seeing Farage of all people gain so much popularity by labelling this a "victory for the people". You don't work towards fixing public mistrust in democracy by ignoring a democratic majority. That's the most dangerous thing they could do right now, especially when we've already seen racially and politically driven murder.

The problem with that is that the Leave voters cover a multitude of differing and, sometimes, conflicting views, so no solution will work for every Leave voter. Also, any solution needs to work for both Leave and Remain voters alike.

For example, is a Norway-style solution going to placate those people that voted Leave to stop immigration? No, because there won't be any change in immigration rules because of that solution. So you'll still get the social unrest that you are talking about.

He'd need a really masterful negotiation to get that. The major bargaining chip the UK had with EU has always been "give us what we demand, or we leave". Now he'd be saying "hey we're leaving already, now give us what we demand, or..." or what, "we leave even more" ?
UK just called its own bluff... and lost.
Starting with the leave decision puts UK in a position of weakness towards EU integration. The whole point was to get more distance from it after all, not a better position for negotiations.

This.

Plus, if you were the EU you'd be crazy to accept a treaty with a UK that is then better off leaving the EU than being in it.

Every remaining EU member state would then aspire to leave the Union.

No way this will happen.

At the moment, I can't help but thinking that the EU will come out of all this stronger than before. On Friday, the narrative was that the EU will have to set an example of the UK in order the dissuade other member states from exiting, which would, however, only further cement the eurosceptic view of the EU as a bureaucratic monster. Turns out that they probably won't have to do that at all, because the UK (well, UK politics) seems perfectly able to set the example all by itself and without the EU having to lift a finger.

Fucking hell, what a clusterfuck.

danowat

Banned
Why was the framework for Brexit not in place in case just a thing happened?, it's not like it was never a possibility was it.

Now we just have weeks of everyone looking at each other wondering what the fuck is going on.

Feorax

People will dismiss it as project fear 2.0.

And herein lies the issue.

It will take a number of years and several economic disasters that are unequivocally linked to us leaving the EU before a lot of people will even begin to entertain the idea that this might have been a mistake.

avaya

Hopefully any negative growth is reported before Article 50 is triggered; any front loaded shit news is good news right about now.

Agreed but the other shoe will drop in many sectors only in Q3. Retail management are claiming consumer demand should be ok but if you look at the market, it disagrees...

RBS and Lloyd's smacked again today, guess we won't be selling those stakes for a while yet.

Why was the framework for Brexit not in place in case just a thing happened?, it's not like it was never a possibility was it.

Now we just have weeks of everyone looking at each other wondering what the fuck is going on.

Really that is on the leave side to sort that out, it was in Cameron's best interest to basically leave and say, there you go, good luck.

Of course, unsurprisingly, leave didn't think that far ahead which is to be expected from such a campaign. Or rather, no one wants to touch this with a ten foot pole because it will most probably destroy your career.

cormack12

Gold Member
Part of me would really like to cause a shitstorm and to see all the 'Remain' campaigners call Boris out on his lies. Provoke a bit of friction by saying 'Hang on, you said we were out the EU. You lied.' And really kick up an issue.

On the other hand, I'm glad sense is prevailing and it looks like this will be a change in semantics only, and a hollow victory in the meantime.

The most important thing is that there are true democratic, legislative and legal ways of stopping this madness. Whether we engage them or not, is up for debate, but it's not all done and dusted as the saying goes.

To echo what people were saying earlier, I really cannot identify with half the country now. They are either ill-informed, ignorant, bitter or xenophobic. There are no other camps on the 'Leave' side as far as I'm concerned. You know, the prevailing message here now seems to be let's all work together. The reality is those who have the best chance of fixing this also have the best chance of fleeing for better opportunity. Those with social or geographical mobility, those in established jobs with options of moving with companies, the new graduates over the next two years. Leaving behind the elderly and infirm, those with young children and those with poor work ethic. There won't be enough 'good' left to salvage this mess.

The 'Leave' vote has sent a message that some people want to rock the boat, and burn the world. Now there is an expectation that those who are hurt will knuckle down and get on board with them. You went after the establishment and hurt the people. Now the shoe is on the other foot and quite frankly, I'm going to stop worrying and watch the backpedalling and mess with a sad satisfaction.

I don't think the referendum should be ignored. Part of me wants people to know that a vote on proper issues has consequences. It's not just some facebook poll that disappears into obscurity from your news feed. People need to feel these consequences (at least partially) or a politician needs to come clean and say 'Listen this was a disastrous idea.' It might make people actually realise how much their vote means and how much it can help/hinder the country.

azyless

Far right nationalistic parties != whole member states
And I certainly hope our politicians have a little common sense and won't make decisions that could have huge consequences just to prove they have "the balls" to do it.

Cromwell

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ive-eu-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-a7104016.html

10 reasons to be positive about Brexit. Look on the positive side GAF.

Fucking lol let me just sum up the majority of these

c4jt321.png

The plan is right here:

1) Leave EU
2) ?????
3) Profit

frontieruk

Because the people wanting brexit weren't in power, those wanting to stay didn't want to any part of the destruction of the UK. The ones making the claims to leave didn't really think they would win so spouted shit they couldn't guarantee and didn't plan for the eventuality of winning

Maledict

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ive-eu-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-a7104016.html

That article is a big a pile of shitty lies as the Leave campaign. Seriously - out of the EU fishing will return to Cornwal and we can nationalise the steel industry? This is supposed to be a good news story?

Shutting our eyes and believing in the tooth fairy might feel good but it isn't going to help us one bit. I love the comment about food prices - as if food wasn't already at historically low prices, with a wider range of food stuffs in the shops than we have ever had before!

Timbuktu

Leaving the EU is no Doomsday. But there needs to be a great leader to get the UK there. I really hope everything will be OK in the end.
We are relying on the civil service to keeps things running, to be honest, there is effectively no leadership or opposition. Sturgeon seem to have it together and thankfully, Carney did OK to calm things down slightly.

danowat

Banned
Because the people wanting brexit weren't in power, those wanting to stay didn't want to any part of the destruction of the UK. The ones making the claims to leave didn't really think they would win so spouted shit they couldn't guarantee and didn't plan for the eventuality of winning

So remain also have a part to play in the whole "what the fuck happens now" thing?, they should have all got together and figured out what was going to happen before Thursday, rather than playing my dad's bigger than your dad and slinging shit at each other like schoolkids.

TBH, the whole lot of them are a shower of shit, we have a country literally split down the middle, we have people shouting "immigrants out", we have the labour party in disarry, we have a PM who has resigned, we have the leave campaign saying their promises were just possibilities, what a mess.

Arksy

The EU Commission is the most powerful, since it's the only one that has the power to say what the law may or may not be. They have the sole right of initiative and the sole right of repeal. The Parliament is a rubber stamp body. It can only accept or reject proposals. The Democratic chamber not having any say in the legislative agenda, and zero power to repeal legislation that their constituents may disagree on is the number one problem with the process.

It's not nearly the same thing as Belgium, MPs in Belgium are able to propose their own laws. I'm also guessing that the Prime Minister of Belgium is himself a member of Parliament? He has to be voted in as a member of Parliament before he is allowed to be the PM?

liquidtmd

Banned
God this is terrible. The amount of 'could' and 'if' in there.

11. Jesus could come back exclusively to the UK, boosting our Tourism sector.

Update: Jesus' agent issues a statement and has denied these claims. stating his Second Coming was only 'a possibility and not a promise'

Lol.

Fucks sake some of those comments are exactly why in my lesser moments I feel Democracy was a mistake.
/s

"We have the fifth largest army in the world, we won two world wars, had the biggest empire. Why does no one think we'd be ok!?"

Well. It's not like we won two world wars on our own, or at a stupidly high cost.

"It's only the lazy and workshy that would hold us back"

HOLD THE FUCK UP. Is someone from a side who voted to curb immigration (not that it'd happen) because immigrants took jobs (saintly took a lot of jobs that no one would want like cleaning toilets etc) and they're complaining workshy would hold us back? They're right, but immigrants saved us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom