• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

The EU Commission is the most powerful, since it's the only one that has the power to say what the law may or may not be. They have the sole right of initiative and the sole right of repeal. The Parliament is a rubber stamp body. It can only accept or reject proposals. The Democratic chamber not having any say in the legislative agenda, and zero power to repeal legislation that their constituents may disagree on is the number one problem with the process.
This is nonsense, the Parliament and Council have completely 'destroyed' certain Commission proposals. E.g. Telco single market.

Chinner

Banned
Lol.

Fucks sake some of those comments are exactly why in my lesser moments I feel Democracy was a mistake.
/s

"We have the fifth largest army in the world, we won two world wars, had the biggest empire. Why does no one think we'd be ok!?"

Well. It's not like we won two world wars on our own, or at a stupidly high cost.

"It's only the lazy and workshy that would hold us back"

HOLD THE FUCK UP. Is someone from a side who voted to curb immigration (not that it'd happen) because immigrants took jobs (saintly took a lot of jobs that no one would want like cleaning toilets etc) and they're complaining workshy would hold us back? They're right, but immigrants saved us.
At least the guardian had the sense to turn off the comments section.

Moobabe

That article is a big a pile of shitty lies as the Leave campaign. Seriously - out of the EU fishing will return to Cornwal and we can nationalise the steel industry? This is supposed to be a good news story?

Shutting our eyes and believing in the tooth fairy might feel good but it isn't going to help us one bit. I love the comment about food prices - as if food wasn't already at historically low prices, with a wider range of food stuffs in the shops than we have ever had before!

The Independent (famously left wing and pro-remain) have tried to be "middle of the road" on Brexit for a little while.

They allowed Farage to write a piece for their "Voices" column talking about why we should leave etc as well

What the fuck is this shit? http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...er-the-brexit-vote/ar-AAhE8xs?ocid=spartanntp

Some of those anecdotes man.

Are leavers that fucking dense that they think that because they voted to leave the EU that anyone know native English is going to be forced out of the country? That's not what they even voted for. What a sad fucking bunch.

Yes, a lot of people (no were near all leavers, mind) are that stupid - unfortunately. Get them to explain what 'native English' actually is though. Really their grasp on English history is sorely lacking.

Corto

Who are the un-elected officials?

The EU consists of three bodies, of which the first two have the decisive power:
- Council: Led by the the national governments (AKA Cameron, Merkel, etc.). These are elected/chosen according to the national member state law.
- Parliament: MEPs which are members of parliament that were all voted on during the European elections. No middle-man at all.
- Commission (no decisive power, only proposes things): Led by 28 Commissioners, each from a Member State, which were chosen/co-opted by the national governments and confirmed by MEPs. E.g. Lord Hill who was chosen by Cameron and the Tory party, plus confirmed by the MEPs in the Parliament.

Also the President of the Commission, Juncker, was chosen by the EPP party because they attained the majority in the Parliament. It was quite clear during the election cycle that a vote for the EPP would be a vote for Juncker (and vice versa Schulz for the S&D).

Where do you draw the line between being elected or not? Obviously the Commission is the 'least' elected, as they were not directly voted on by citizens but rather by the national goverments and the European Parliament (who each were directly voted on). The Commission is also the least powerful since everything has to pass through Council and Parliament.

It's the same system in Belgium for instance: I vote for a political group who gets the seats in our House of Representatives and Senate, and they then decide on the Government/Ministers (AKA Commission).

Perfectly explained. The problem is that national politicians all across Europe for their own or their party purposes made the EU, and the European Union the cause of all problems of their own country. The buck passing to a distant entity as the EU, is particular effective because people don't want to really think of their own faults and try to change or reform their own country. Of course there are problems also at EU. Its politicians come from european countries with their own idiosyncrasies and interests. The rise of euroscepticism has a perverse root on people in charge that are as quick to defend the EU, the "ever closer union", and in the next breath make it the reason for all their country woes.

Can you explain how more rights are stripped from people and given to un-elected officials in. Brussels?
Well recently we had a vote here where we would give up a lot of rights to the european union that we would no longer be, as a country, allowed to decide ourselves. What works in germany may not work in france, or spain.

But then a country should have not tried to enter the Union in the first place. The endgame was always an "ever closer union among the people of Europe". Political, economic, military. That's the purpose of European Union. And UK for all that matters was exempt from working or taking part on this. A thing that makes this even more of a farce. UK had all the benefits of being a member with some cherry picked exemptions that were negotiated to suit their own particular, national idiosyncrasies.
Our country doesn't have the Euro, and all things considered I'm very happy about that. The UK is by far not the only country that has cherry picked EU legistration. Maybe the end game to some is a singular country, but many people, like me, prefere it as a stabilising union that doesn't remove mandates from countries.

An example is phthalates which were illigal in my country in children toys up until recently. I say until recently, because EU decided that apparently phthalates are not dangerous (despite there being a lot of proof that it can damage hormones), and has decided to overrule our rules in the area regarding it.

And this is what the big issue with EU is, and where a lot of the individual countries hostilities comes from. In other ways EU is great for the consumer, but occasionally, it wants to "even the odds" between the goods from each country, which means interferring with legistration in countries where consumers are better protected, and strip that protection from the products, so other european products from countries with worse consumer protection, can be sold there as well.

Which in my country The Netherlands a lot of people also want a Nexit ref. People are underestimating the disgust with the EU as it is today on the mainland itself.
Yeah.

Again, I like the EU. Ithink it's great. I worry where we would be without it as it serves as a great stabilizer. But pushing every single country into one form is not the right way to proceed. Each country should continue to be able to function as a country, with some added benifits from being part of a trade union.

frontieruk

So remain also have a part to play in the whole "what the fuck happens now" thing?, they should have all got together and figured out what was going to happen before Thursday, rather than playing my dad's bigger than your dad and slinging shit at each other like schoolkids.

TBH, the whole lot of them are a shower of shit, we have a country literally split down the middle, we have people shouting "immigrants out", we have the labour party in disarry, we have a PM who has resigned, we have the leave campaign saying their promises were just possibilities, what a mess.

Yes they do, they've stepped aside to let the geniuses who got us here steer the ship. Neither side saw this happening, though I do think Merkel's leniency is due to Cameron prepping her about how much sway this referendum really holds, and it's obvious Osborne made contingency plans to keep the ship upright while he was still there.

avaya

How myopic do you have to be to think that a majority of the populace on the continent watching this dumpster fire is thinking "I want some of that too"?

We are the perfect example the EU can point to. You could not buy better press.

There will be consequences to this.

Again, the Eastern EU bloc (and some other members) would be furious if nothing changed and I can't really blame them.

Pretty much, imagine if the UK ends up doing "alright/ok/could have been much worse" with recovery in sight. It would embolden dissenters, other countries start getting ideas. UK definitely will face harsh test by the EU.

Biggzy

That article is a big a pile of shitty lies as the Leave campaign. Seriously - out of the EU fishing will return to Cornwal and we can nationalise the steel industry? This is supposed to be a good news story?

Shutting our eyes and believing in the tooth fairy might feel good but it isn't going to help us one bit. I love the comment about food prices - as if food wasn't already at historically low prices, with a wider range of food stuffs in the shops than we have ever had before!

We might not need to contemplate nationalising the Steel Industry if the UK did not block tariffs for cheap steel imports. Let's be real here, the government does not care about the Steel Industry because the cheap imports is benefiting other industries more.

Alx

At the moment, I can't help but thinking that the EU will come out of all this stronger than before. On Friday, the narrative was that the EU will have to set an example of the UK in order the dissuade other member states from exiting, which would, however, only further cement the eurosceptic view of the EU as a bureaucratic monster. Turns out that they probably won't have to do that at all, because the UK (well, UK politics) seems perfectly able to set the example all by itself and without the EU having to lift a finger.

Fucking hell, what a clusterfuck.

Hopefully EU won't only count on the UK example as a stabilization measure, though. We need more to be done, and address all the reasons that fueled all the scepticism and violent opinions in the Leave program.
We need more transparency on European legislation and get people interested in it, so they can realize it is democratic and mostly for their own benefit (and if it isn't enough, we should improve that too). We also need real policies for how we'll handle refugees, security, more equity among members (which includes stripping UK of some of its exceptions if it were to remain after all).
It can be a good opportunity to steer EU in the right direction, hopefully we won't just hear "see what happened to UK ? Now stop complaining..."

I wouldn't mind leaving the EU if they had put forth a plan on what to do. They didn't, so we're in turmoil right now.

1) Invoke article 50 (someone, anyone)
2) Start discussions with EU

That's the plan. The point of the 2 year timeline is to figure out everything else during that period. Someone just needs to start the whole thing. You can't know all the details beforehand.

It's really not possible to have more of a "plan" for something as unprecendented as this. Even ignoring the lies, The Leave campaing was only able to lay out some possibilities of what will happen, not any guarantees. So go on with it and see it through.

JoeM86

1) Invoke article 50 (someone, anyone)
2) Start discussions with EU

That's the plan. The point of the 2 year timeline is to figure out everything else during that period. Someone just needs to start the whole thing. You can't know all the details beforehand.

It's really not possible to have more of a "plan" for something as unprecendented as this. Even ignoring the lies, The Leave campaing was only able to lay out some possibilities of what will happen, not any guarantees. So go on with it and see it through.

That's a terrible plan. That's a "let's see what happens" plan and that doesn't belong in government.

liquidtmd

Banned
2nd Referendum hypothetical question in September

- I Accept the Proposed Freedom of Movement and terms outlined by our Leaving the EU

- I Wish to reject this, not trigger Article 50 and remain in the EU

Would it fly?

Cromwell

Banned
How myopic do you have to be to think that a majority of the populace on the continent watching this dumpster fire is thinking "I want some of that too"?

Exactly. People saying the EU should bend over for the U.K. seem to completely miss the point. The U.K. needs the EU far more than the EU needs the U.K.

danowat

Banned
So, my business idea.

I will charge £10 to improve the sovereignty of your car, if you have EU plates, I will hacksaw the EU part off.

That's a terrible plan. That's a "let's see what happens" plan and that doesn't belong in government.

No? You have 2 years to negotiate terms and deals. You can't do that before you make your intentions known. UK can't plan their exit alone.

If you think government shouldn't make decisions that have a HUGE uncertainty than leaving the EU shouldn't have been put to a fucking vote.

Corto

- I Accept the Proposed Freedom of Movement and terms outlined by our Leaving the EU

Would it fly?

Not taking a jab at UK voters, but those are too complicated. A referendum must have a very simple formulation that ensures a binary definitive response.

The EU, in terms of its purpose and mission, is actually better off without the UK.
No more UK making a fuss and demanding exemptions every time the union tries to implement something.
I'm sure a lot of big figures were celebrating.

It's a shame but I fully agree with this. We've always been too short-sighted to understand what being in Europe really means. Thursdays vote is just further evidence of that.

theaface

11. Jesus could come back exclusively to the UK, boosting our Tourism sector.

Jesus of Nazareth? No thanks, the people have democratically spoken and the foreigners should go back to where they came from. He'd probably just want a free handout anyway.
/s

Not taking a jab at UK voters, but those are too complicated. A referendum must have a very simple formulation that ensures a binary definitive response.

True. Although it's the limited scope of the questioning that, imo, makes them a bad idea for something of this magnitude and complexity.

Would it fly?

Next one will be

Do you

Wish to Accept Norway type EEA deal
1. Yes
2. No

in the event of no status quo remains.

Best

This. The EU right now is stronger than its been for ages. It doesn't even need to punish the UK in negotiations, if the UK decides it's not going to pull the trigger nobody would dare try and go it alone again.

oti

Banned
The EU, in terms of its purpose and mission, is actually better off without the UK.
No more UK making a fuss and demanding exemptions every time the union tries to implement something.
I'm sure a lot of big figures were celebrating.

Eh, it's never bad thing per se to have different opinions and discussions. The UK miscalculated their power but that doesn't mean its input wasn't valuable.

PJV3

Would it fly?

No.

In 2 years.

Parliament and the government has carried out the wishes of the people and here is the deal going forward to leave the EU.

Stay
Go

I will accept parliament acting to prevent the country tanking before then.

Hjod

Banned
God this is terrible. The amount of 'could' and 'if' in there.

11. Jesus could come back exclusively to the UK, boosting our Tourism sector.

I thought the UK didn't want anymore middle-eastern men to come over there?

/s

Edit. Beaten by a mile.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
joke post?

Was a guesstimate. Wasn't far off, though - there are 6,000,000 18-24s in the UK. 2,000,000 voted. Supposing turnout was 80% and they voted 75% in, you'd have an extra 2,800,000 voters, with a net gain of 1,400,000 for Leave, so you'd have *just* squeaked over the line. However, there's strong reason to suppose that the 18-24s who didn't vote were more likely to be in favour of Leave than those who did, do that means turnout has to go higher again.

Gorger

5fe30ff6cb009858c4825de1c9a6a5706388c1b82e7e0eafb2d61541c1559c9d.jpg

Also applies to many Leave voters...

...and Michael Caine who is a Brexit supporter :\

Wouldn't have changed the results even if they had 100% turnout and all voted Remain; there aren't that many 18-24 year olds.

The referendum needed 1,3 million more Remain votes to change the outcome. In the UK there are 4,297,000 people between 20 and 24. Just half of the non-voters voting Remain would have been enough.

chadskin

German MP Michael Fuchs, a senior ally of Chancellor Angela Merkel, spoke to the Today programme a short time ago.

With a chuckle, he made it clear things were going to have to change.

"Either you are in a club or you are out of a club. If you are in a club you have to follow the rules. If you are out of the club, there will be different rules," he said.

Asked if it would be possible for the UK to retain access to the single market, he replied: "It will be possible, of course, but not for free.

"You have to see with Norway, with Switzerland, you have to pay a certain fee. And the per capita fee of Norway is exactly the same as what Britain is now paying into the EU. So there won't be any savings."
http://bbc.in/294gWSI

Lol.

"We have the fifth largest army in the world, we won two world wars, had the biggest empire. Why does no one think we'd be ok!?"

Well. It's not like we won two world wars on our own, or at a stupidly high cost.

"It's only the lazy and workshy that would hold us back"

HOLD THE FUCK UP. Is someone from a side who voted to curb immigration (not that it'd happen) because immigrants took jobs (saintly took a lot of jobs that no one would want like cleaning toilets etc) and they're complaining workshy would hold us back? They're right, but immigrants saved us.

The appeal to history is very interesting. A lot of the time it's invoked as a way of showing how powerful and influential Britain can be [ignoring that WW2 ultimately destroyed Britain's supremacy, but that was a price worth paying, imo, for defeating such evil], and at the very same time ignored as a thing that changes. 'We will be fine outside the EU, we're really strong! [ignoring that we just changed our entire economic and political context, taking ourselves out of certain agreements and a position of strength that enabled this power you so gleefully celebrate, and throwing us out into a colder world outside power structures that have developed over the past 80 years since we won the war but lost the globe]'.

As for the job thing, it's a classic. Immigrants take all jobs, but also all the benefits, except for the workshy who also take all the benefits. The only bit that works, in terms of the warped logic, is immigrants denying anyone else jobs.

Now this is worrying...

Credit card spending 'drops since Brexit'
Posted at
09:24
There's been a "dramatic drop" in credit card spending in the UK in the days following the Brexit vote, says a Mastercard executive, quoted in the The National Business Review

"We had started to see travel picking up in the UK, had seen that kind of discretionary spending on jewellery and retail. To [see] that now fall off is quite concerning," says Sarah Quinlan, of Mastercard Advisors, which provides analysis of data from the credit card company.

Spending had begun to pick up when it looked like the Remain camp might win, she adds.

If spending falls badly we are fucked, economy will tank big style.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Now this is worrying...

Credit card spending 'drops since Brexit'
Posted at
09:24
There's been a "dramatic drop" in credit card spending in the UK in the days following the Brexit vote, says a Mastercard executive, quoted in the The National Business Review

"We had started to see travel picking up in the UK, had seen that kind of discretionary spending on jewellery and retail. To [see] that now fall off is quite concerning," says Sarah Quinlan, of Mastercard Advisors, which provides analysis of data from the credit card company.

Spending had begun to pick up when it looked like the Remain camp might win, she adds.

If spending falls badly we are fucked, economy will tank big style.

Nah, it'll be fine. Johnson said so.

MLH

Boris saying everything is fine, markets are stable, pensions are safe et cetera.
It seems to me things aren't that way at all, the economy & markets are in limbo, they're waiting for the politicians to make next move. It can't go on like this, there should have been a plan, the electorate have been deceived.

Dougald

Well, my dad who is turning 70 this year is now not going to be able to retire. He'd already lost half his pension with Equitable life, and now what little there was left is even smaller. He voted remain, for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom