• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

YourMaster

I get the line of thinking but these are people with ideologies and careers to protect, I don't think the metaphor holds.

The Tory party continues with or without Cameron in charge and he doesn't see the benefit of staying so he leaves.

Sure, the party in power may put another face forward if the current one feels incapable/unwilling to do the job at hand. But the elected government (not Cameron personally, not Farage) asked the question, and they are there to deal with the answer.
People did not vote Cameron out of power, and they certainly did not vote Farage or even Boris in power.

Best

I don't think we can actually wait until Autumn for this stuff to start happening, spending off all kinds would have fallen off a cliff for months.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is it too much to hope that Osborne invents some nonsense reason why 'this time is different' and responds to the recession in the correct way instead of austerity further?

eEK!

Neo Member
No it's not, it's up to the government. What people keep forgetting is that a referendum isn't voting a group of people in power. The reasons why people vote one way or another might be completely different from the ones argued by the (main) campaigners on that side.

The government has asked the people a question on how to deal with that matter, and they've gotten an answer. When you ask somebody if he wants some tea, you have to get that tea yourself when he says 'yes please'. Not say 'Fuck that, tea is bad for you, I'm leaving, I'm sure my replacement will get you your damn tea'.

Its more like they asked if you want tea or heroin, but the heroin part wasn't seriously considered because everyone knows heroin is bad, but Cameron should have remembered that heroin was once one of the British empires most profitable exports.....

E-phonk

Banned
I'd love to know whether top EU diplomats are laughing or crying right now.

Not a EU diplomat, but Belgiums prime minister declared today he wants a quick divorce - and that Belgium will now exclusively look out for the interests and the future of the EU and itself.

He says there should be no punishment but he explicitely rejects the idea that any kind of EU institution can stay in London and declared the loss/damage of trade can partly be made up by bringing companies and instituations that are now in the UK to the mainland.

He also wants the EU to reform in a leaner, more pragmatic and more transparent way, and leaves the possibility of a "europe with two speeds" (one who wants complete integration and others who want to keep more souveranity) open as a possible way to quickly move forward - where belgium would be part of the integrated group (possibly with the other original EU countries).

Arksy

Sure, the party in power may put another face forward if the current one feels incapable/unwilling to do the job at hand. But the elected government (not Cameron personally, not Farage) asked the question, and they are there to deal with the answer.
People did not vote Cameron out of power, and they certainly did not vote Farage or even Boris in power.

That's right. Even as a leave voter, I would have preferred him to have remained *snickers* as PM

8bit

Knows the Score
That's right. Even as a leave voter, I would have preferred him to have remained *snickers* as PM

2e9852e9ab68c853ca9cd079a3f8a5d8.jpg

Tak3n

Banned
so, when I said I would demand access to the single market and to block free movement, I was derided as being as daft as a brush..

Seems a certain Mr Johnson was reading my ideas

Can we have access to the single market without free movement, someone shouts as he leaves.

"Absolutely," Mr Johnson replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm surprisingly calm now after the despair of the last few days. Still think we all need to wait till everyone has calmed down and then get down with the negotiations.
Hoping for a deal that eventually pleases both remainers and leavers but I honestly can't think of one.

Leave campaigners knew that a satisfactory deal (in economic terms) was not achievable without free movement, that's why they immediately sucked up their campaign puke with a straw as soon as they won the referendum. Once these people have to actually answer questions and not dash out of cars without saying anything, there is going to be even more rage than there is now. At some point they are going to have to admit that they ran on a platform based 100% on lies. Boris has already done a volte face but he's only done it in a Telegraph column that nobody under 70 will ever read. When he has to say these things on TV, there is going to be fighting in the streets.

People didn't vote Leave so that we can stay in Europe in all but name. They wanted out.

so, when I said I would demand access to the single market and to block free movement, I was derided as being a daft as a brush..

Are you saying you're both as daft as each other? Boris saying things without thinking is why we are in this mess.

seb

Banned
Just finished reading the entire thread, I know everything there is to know about this, and have become an expert on the UK. Thank you GAF.

Same. Really informative thread and a great insight in our neighbours. I learned a lot of new expletives too.

*Splinter

Sky News

Osbourne is conflicted right now, he wants to be chancellor, but he knows if he stays in the cabinet when new leader is chosen it would break David Cameron, and make him feel totally betrayed
That's the funniest thing I've read today-
Is it too much to hope that Osborne invents some nonsense reason why 'this time is different' and responds to the recession in the correct way instead of austerity further?
Oh, we have a new winner

Well recently we had a vote here where we would give up a lot of rights to the european union that we would no longer be, as a country, allowed to decide ourselves. What works in germany may not work in france, or spain.

So your convincing argument about what powers the EU has stripped away from its citizens is:
An unspecified body had a vote at an unspecified location giving up lots of unspecified rights to the EU that you could no longer be something unspecified or allowed to decided something unspecified yourselves?
Also what works in Germany may or may not work in France or Spain.

I for one am now convinced that the EU is a force for evil.

Sky News

Osbourne is conflicted right now, he wants to be chancellor, but he knows if he stays in the cabinet when new leader is chosen it would break David Cameron, and make him feel totally betrayed

I doubt Cameron would mind tbh. They were political allies not best friends. Cameron is finished in politics now so the alliance is over.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
so, when I said I would demand access to the single market and to block free movement, I was derided as being a daft as a brush..

A certain Mr Johnson is also deluded, though.

Alx

and leaves the possibility of a "europe with two speeds" (one who wants complete integration and others who want to keep more souveranity) open as a possible way to quickly move forward - where belgium would be part of the integrated group (possibly with the other original EU countries).

Yeah it's been a recurring idea for some time, one that would get the support from France and probably Italy, but I don't think Germany is cool with that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not a EU diplomat, but Belgiums prime minister declared today he wants a quick divorce - and that Belgium will now exclusively look out for the interests and the future of the EU and itself.

He says there should be no punishment but he explicitely rejects the idea that any kind of EU institution can stay in London and declared the loss/damage of trade can partly be made up by bringing companies and instituations that are now in the UK to the mainland.

He also wants the EU to reform in a leaner, more pragmatic and more transparent way, and leaves the possibility of a "europe with two speeds" (one who wants complete integration and others who want to keep more souveranity) open as a possible way to quickly move forward - where belgium would be part of the integrated group (possibly with the other original EU countries).
Uk the second ? I am guessing anyone wants can go . At this rate maybe it's just for UK

Sky News

George Osborne is a ball-less weak arsehole, if you haven't realized that from his recent actions there's no hope for you.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member

He's delusional if he actually believes that the other 27 members states will allow that.

Auctopus

All the joke petitions being thrown around to make fun of the left just show how much of a joke this whole thing has become. Our economy and everything that entails could be down the toilet for the next decade and it's been reduced to a meme.

Maledict

You have missed the widespread scorn and derision at Johnsons position from across the political spectrum? And the fact the EU itself has said this isn't happening?

Seriously, how can you still believe this stuff?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, I had thought that Boris Johnson's idiocy was an act. But apparently he is as dumb as he looks.

I don't think he believes what he says. Johnson is not at all stupid. But he's just stuck in a cesspool of lies right now. He never expected to win, he knew it would be terrible, this was always about career advancement. Kipling's Dead Statesman is very apt right now.

so, when I said I would demand access to the single market and to block free movement, I was derided as being as daft as a brush..

That's nothing to be proud of and is an admission you have no fucking clue what's going on.

E-phonk

Banned
Uk the second ? I am guessing anyone wants can go . At this rate maybe it's just for UK

No, I assume he points to countries like poland, hungary, greece etc, who are more eurosceptic and don't want these further reforms (or want them less integrated).

Access to the market and no free movement is exactly what plenty of other EU countries would demand then or threaten to leave.

UK simply can not have it

Either it will be "EU-membership-but-lets-call-it-something-else", or its gonna put UK at a disadvantage compared to now

UK sacrificed all leverage when they put this issue to a popular vote

Tak3n

Banned
You have missed the widespread scorn and derision at Johnsons position from across the political spectrum? And the fact the EU itself has said this isn't happening?

Seriously, how can you still believe this stuff?

I don't especially, but as I said when I initially floated this idea, you don't go in soft ball...after all it is a negotiation, and I fully expect him to achieve what I said, free labour movement, when business has a need

kmag

Sky News

His speech this morning was basically I'm fucking off to be foreign secretary someone else can sort this out

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't especially, but as I said when I initially floated this idea, you don't go in soft ball...after all it is a negotiation, and I fully expect him to achieve what I said, free labour movement, when business has a need

Okay, and when we don't get that, as is patently obvious we won't, will you concede this was a fucking stupid idea?

StayDead

If there's a second referendum, it won't be that early. Assuming we get the PM question and negotiating team squared away by the end of this year (which I'm personally doubting) then I think an 'are you sure' referendum, if they're even legally allowed to hold one, wouldn't come much before 2018 at the earliest.

There are no quick fixes to this cluster fuck.

Why would they not legally be able to do it? They're nothing but glorified opinion polls and have no legal pull at all.

I'm surprisingly calm now after the despair of the last few days.

Me too. I think it's clear now that this most likely won't go ahead simply because it's unfeasible. Boris has made it clear that he won't really pursue it. They'll put on a little puppet show to placate the voters, and try and worm their way out of the mess they've created.

Barring somebody unpredictably insane taking over, of course.

Maledict

There is absolutely no evidence at all to suggest Europe would ever agree this, and mountains of reasons why it wouldn't. It just can't happen for the away to continue, and you can your ass that when faced with a choice between holding the EU together and keeping the UK happy they will always pick the former.

Seriously, have you not paid attention in the last 72 hits to everything said and done!

All the joke petitions being thrown around to make fun of the left just show how much of a joke this whole thing has become. Our economy and everything that entails could be down the toilet for the next decade and it's been reduced to a meme.

Born too late to take politics seriously. Born just in time to turn it into dank memes.

Crumpo

That's why he was nowhere to be seen this weekend....he was reading GAF.

Still an impossible idea, though

Legally they can hold one every week, but obviously that would be insanity.

I said September because I was under the impression once Article 50 is invoked, thats it and Legal - a Referendum after that happens would be pointless, no?

Sorry, I meant in view of any likely 2nd referendum being 2 years out that article 50 prevent the possibility of a legal 2nd referendum. Once it's enacted we're out. A 2nd referendum before any informal negotiations have taken place is totally pointless. We'll not have settle the PM question come September let alone set up a negotiating team.

As I said before everything is now on whose elected as leaders of the two main parties and what the prevailing view at the time is on an early general election to confirm the new governments mandate.

There will be no informal discussions, no brexit negotiations team, no second referrendum, no article 50, nothing until the PM question is completely settled - and that's October at the earliest. It's a question that could rumble in to the new year. We're a long way out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom