• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
might be nothing as I can not find a printed report to back it up, but a a 'expert' on radio 5 just dropped a bomb by saying he suspects Osbourne is going to say to Boris he will support him for leader if he guarantees him a prominent position in the cabinet

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Someone update me on this. Did the British Pound ever hit $1.30 and if so, did that guy ever eat his shoe?

Edit: Wow, they export growing quantities of STUFF. Among those, chocolate cake? How ever will we survive without such necessities?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
All this news of shares falling, the pound falling etc, don't mean anything to Joe Bloggs in the street, for those that voted leave, the sky isn't falling in, and things will be fine.

It's not until fuel, beer and food start rising, or their mortgage / rent starts skyrocketing will they realise.
And even that will be attributed to the EU. Guarantee it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The worst thing is how Boris and Co. seems not to have urgent now to leave EU asap because no real plan exist (except article 50 which they need to activate first). Economy and global market will even react more negatively at this cuz for months there will be an indefinite time of insecurity. What a fucking shitshow this all is

And that is the only reason why the rest of the EU is waiting for that activation.
BTW, I read the following paper back in March, there already is a complete road map, even if nobody wanted/wants to know that:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

Mr. Sam

Now the instant reply is that this is a Government issue not a EU issue,

That's where that particular train of thought should have ended.

If you think we're going to get access to the single market without freedom of movement, you literally think we're going to get something for nothing (i.e. it will... not... happen).

You have cut off your nose to spite your face. You voted to worsen integration and to damage the national infrastructure further. Well done.

Hasney

call it what you like, something needs to change in my area, I have from day 1 always said I simply have no issue with anyone coming here as long as the infrastructure builds with them.... where has that happened BTW?

Did you notice yesterday when Tony Blair was challenged on this very subject, he just palmed it off and look quite uncomfortable

No he didn't, he said his government invested in schools and hospitals in those areas, which was true and he admitted housing was a real issue. What the fuck have the last governments done apart from cut shit?

*Splinter

might be nothing as I can not find a printed report to back it up, but a a 'expert' on radio 5 just dropped a bomb by saying he suspects Osbourne is going to say to Boris he will support him for leader if he guarantees him a prominent position in the cabinet
Seems desperate, I don't think Boris needs Osbourne's support

In my area we have had no investment at all to cope with the immigration, since 1994 when the doors were opened....

No new schools
No new doctors
no expansion to hospital
no new housing (this is now changing, but to little too late)
no new infrastructure (roads etc)

Jesus H. fucking Christ - the answers wasn't to vote for 10 years of political and economic up evil and give a voice to the UKIP and the far-right.

The answers was to stop voting in consecutive Tory governments who believe in austerity and privatisation.

Being out of the EU isn't going to get you new schools, new doctors, hospital expansion, new housing, new roads.

The EU has no say in any of that stuff - never did, and the immigration numbers have never been anywhere near big enough to have that sort of effect - birth and death rates are a bigger problem.

Being out of the EU is likely to make all that stuff you mentions worse not better!

Fuck it! I can't handle this I'm fucking off out of England - let it burn!

liquidtmd

Banned

If you think we're going to get access to the single market without freedom of movement, you literally think we're going to get something for nothing (i.e. it will... not... happen).

You have cut off your nose to spite your face. You voted to worsen integration and to damage the national infrastructure further. Well done.

Nose? Theyve cut our goddamn head off

call it what you like, something needs to change in my area, I have from day 1 always said I simply have no issue with anyone coming here as long as the infrastructure builds with them.... where has that happened BTW?

You seriously don't realise everything that's wrong with this point of view? You (and god knows how many others) narrowly swung a vote on EU membership by pretending it was a vote on the current UK government's ineptitude? You voted because "something needs to change in my area" and you didn't realise that, at best, this would bring a minor economic hit for you, and at worst plunge the country back into recession?

StayDead

JAMKDe7.gif

That GIF is the remnants of what government we have left right now haha.

Audioboxer

Someone update me on this. Did the British Pound ever hit $1.30 and if so, did that guy ever eat his shoe?

Edit: Wow, they export growing quantities of STUFF. Among those, chocolate cake? How ever will we survive without such necessities?

I think we're all eating our shoes each time Boris says something.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

And on top of that, the vote seems to have invigorated a rather nasty subset of individuals to spread their hate out in the open.

I think we're all eating our shoes each time Boris says something.

You're absolutely right :lol. That was the first and last time I watch a video with the man in it. I'd much rather eat a shoe than listen to that blabbering fool again.

IpKaiFung

I do, I have always been 90% secure in my reason to vote leave....

In my area we have had no investment at all to cope with the immigration, since 1994 when the doors were opened....

No new schools
No new doctors
no expansion to hospital

We have literally been dumped on and allowed to just 'cope' and if you moan you are a racist....all the houses are being bought and turned into HMO's

Now the instant reply is that this is a Government issue not a EU issue, but I am sick of our area just being ignored and left to cope....

I live near Boston by the way (the town that overwhelmingly voted leave) you want to see what damage immigration can do to a area without support, just look it up.. if we had voted to remain, the status quo would just continue... and the horse has well and truly bolted now, you could build non stop and never catch up....

Looking at the results it seems a lot of people feel the same in other areas

a good read if you want to see what uncontrolled migration does to a town

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-most-divided-place-in-england-a6838041.html

also worth noting there was a report as well on how sport direct had ruined the town where their warehouse is due to shipping in mass migration

complains about central government issues, continues to return Tory MPs over and over. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_and_Skegness_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

*Splinter

No point piling on Tak3n for that point. A large portion of the country voted for that exact reason.

Obviously it won't help them, and this was the worst time for a protest vote, but it's fair to put the blame for this mess squarely on present and past governments.

Jesus H. fucking Christ - the answers wasn't to vote for 10 years of political and economic up evil and give a voice to the UKIP and the far-right.

The answers was to stop voting in consecutive Tory governments who believe in austerity and privatisation.

Being out of the EU isn't going to get you new schools, new doctors, hospital expansion, new housing, new roads.

The EU has no say in any of that stuff - never did, and the immigration numbers have never been anywhere near big enough to have that sort of effect - birth and death rates are a bigger problem.

Being out of the EU is likely to make all that stuff you mentions worse not better!

I agree with you, boradly, but Boston and places like that have had much higher than average immigrant numbers, to my knowledge. It's understandable there's resentment, even if I think this is a terrible (although in terms of immigration, explicable) reaction to it.

'We're all in this together'. Osborne, not Juncker et al. Yeah, the EU is a neo-liberal club, but we've not changed any of that, at least for our own benefit.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
Only thing I regret is I have Irish ancestry, heck my name is Irish, but it doesn't go back recent enough to be eligible for an Irish passport :(

Same here (well except for the name). My Great-Grandmother on my Grandad's side was an Irish citizen, so my Mum would qualify but I wouldn't. Luckily for me, if Scotland goes independent then I'd qualify for a Scottish passport thanks to my Nan, but independence isn't a certainty right now.

SKINNER!

Banned
Scottish citizenship entry requirements:-

- Sit - less than 1 metre - away from a live bagpiper and appreciate the beautiful rendition of "Highland Cathedral" on loop for 5 hours straight.

- Tan an entire bottle of Bucky in one go and manage to stand upright for at least 30 minutes.

- Scran 2 deep-fried mars bars hidden deep in a large plastic container of chips and cheese.

- Bathe in Irn Bru for 1 hour to cleanse all the English out of you. You are then required to drink Irn Bru.

- DVD marathon of Season 1 to 4 of Chewin the Fat followed by Season 1 - 7 of Still Game back to back in one sitting. No breaks. Clockwork Orange style.

Any signs of disgust, remorse or anguish will have their form immediately rejected.

GamingKaiju

All this dithering at Westminster is making this shit storm worse. How did we end up in this position :(

I for one is deeply worried about the future. I would actually take Stuntegon or Salmond walk into No.10 and slap Cameron take control of this this Union.

We can't even hope for a GE because labor is going down just as fast as the Cons. Lib's don't hold enough seats to even get the majority they need.

I'm getting a feeling that the Cons are done for. The union is nearly in pieces because of 2 school boys.

Hasney

complains about central government issue, continues to return the same MP over and over. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_and_Skegness_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Yup, every fucking time just like the town I was born in. "We need investment and growth in our area to help us out... Let's vote conservative and give them a safe seat!" and at some point it just breaks you when you vote to help communities like this at the expense of having more tax when they vote to keep the same people who keep fucking them over in power.

Then UKIP keep rising in these areas and sure, they may keep immigration down, but they'll cut things even harder to the point where the infrastructure won't keep up with the fucking birth rate and then they'll wonder why everything is going wrong.

No point piling on Tak3n for that point. A large portion of the country voted for that exact reason.

Obviously it won't help them, and this was the worst time for a protest vote, but it's fair to put the blame for this mess squarely on present and past governments.

Of course it would be fair IF IT WAS A GOVERNMENT ELECTION. It was a vote on EU membership though which had NOTHING to do with these concerns. They've just made things worse for themselves by giving the government they're fed up with less money to work with. Who do you think will suffer the ramifications of that?

And now the entire country has to suffer for their misguided hissy-fit.

TBF I am on personal terms with Henry, and I tell you what he is a excellent MP, that is why he continues to get voted in

His only downfall is he is a yes boy in public, but privately he hates immigration, but he works bloody hard for local issues

Can't really be that great if nothings changed.

Joni

Now the instant reply is that this is a Government issue not a EU issue, but I am sick of our area just being ignored and left to cope....

I can understand that sentiment. Westminister hasn't done anything for you, while the European Union has subsidized the farming in your area. I can understand wanting to give Westminster less power and Europe more. Oh wait no, you did the opposite.

Tak3n

Banned

this, clearly not a popular opinion, but it never would be on GAF, on Reddit it gets a hero response lol

It seems watching the news this reason was overwhelmingly the reason, so Labour and the Tories only have themselves to blame

- Tan an entire bottle of Bucky in one go and manage to stand upright for at least 30 minutes.

-

I'm from near 'Bucky' originally, and some Scots recently visited the area. They were ultra-keen on going to Buckfast Abbey to find the source of the scourge. It's such a weird thing: sleepy Devon town > Glasgow drunks.

Micerider

I do, I have always been 90% secure in my reason to vote leave....

No new schools
No new doctors
no expansion to hospital

We have literally been dumped on and allowed to just 'cope' and if you moan you are a racist....all the houses are being bought and turned into HMO's

I live near Boston by the way (the town that overwhelmingly voted leave) you want to see what damage immigration can do to a area without support, just look it up.. if we had voted to remain, the status quo would just continue... and the horse has well and truly bolted now, you could build non stop and never catch up....

Looking at the results it seems a lot of people feel the same in other areas

a good read if you want to see what uncontrolled migration does to a town

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-most-divided-place-in-england-a6838041.html

also worth noting there was a report as well on how sport direct had ruined the town where their warehouse is due to shipping in mass migration

I can understand that some are suffering from the way migration can sometimes be poorly handled, but what exactly makes you think you stand a better chance now? If France decides to nullify the Touquet Agreement (virtually moving UK border to Calais) to let anyone that wants to join UK face the actual UK border on the other end of the Channel, what help would that give? I'm not sure this vote was the one that would provide your solution (personal opinion of course).

*Splinter

Of course it would be fair IF IT WAS A GOVERNMENT ELECTION. It was a vote on EU membership though which had NOTHING to do with these concerns. They've just made things worse for themselves by giving the government they're fed up with less money to work with. Who do you think will suffer the ramifications of that?

And now the entire country has to suffer for their misguided hissy-fit.
I'm not saying the vote itself was a fair or reasonable reaction. I'm saying the blame for the result lies with the government rather than "thickies in the north"

besada

Banned

It's also not true. Lincolnshire had 130 million pounds of EU money in the pipe to improve coastal defenses and help start up businesses, but now they're worried that they won't get it.

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-raises-doubts-over-130m-eu-funds-for-greater-lincolnshire/

You'll note in the article that Lincolnshire had previously gotten more than 20 million pounds from the EU.

iceatcs

Scottish citizenship entry requirements:-

- Sit - less than 1 metre - away from a live bagpiper and appreciate the beautiful rendition of "Highland Cathedral" on loop for 5 hours straight.

- Scran 2 deep-fried mars bars hidden deep in a large plastic container of chips and cheese.

- Bathe in Irn Bru for 1 hour to cleanse all the English out of you. You are then required to drink Irn Bru.

- DVD marathon of Season 1 to 4 of Chewin the Fat followed by Season 1 - 7 of Still Game back to back in one sitting. No breaks. Clockwork Orange style.

Any signs of disgust, remorse or anguish will have their form immediately rejected.
Yeah I'm out.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So every day it will be , done talking head to say it's ok were talking . Brussels going and saying just leave or you get less .

Banks go up then down . Nerves go up and down .

I'm calling I we get a Norway deal but he caveat i free eu movement . Government takes it acts like has won , leave can leave and trade and the remainers get to leave the UK should they wish . UK trades with EU and world not really a world power any more but is happy .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom