• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

this, clearly not a popular opinion, but it never would be on GAF, on Reddit it gets a hero response lol

It seems watching the news this reason was overwhelmingly the reason, so Labour and the Tories only have themselves to blame
Yeah that doesn't totally excuse people from voting Leave. I'm not going to pretend that was anything other than a fucking stupid thing to do

Them English immigrants coming into MY Scotland with their cricket, teas and crumpets. Plaguing us with their idiocy in politics, close minded xenophobia and stiff upper lips. Stealin' our jobs and lassies. Fuck sake...

Who are we kidding? Come upstairs guys! We welcome our neighbours down south with open arms! You've finally recognised Scotland for being the best part of the UK. Only took a while ;)

Save me, Northern Neighbour! ;)

Scottish citizenship entry requirements:-

- Sit - less than 1 metre - away from a live bagpiper and appreciate the beautiful rendition of "Highland Cathedral" on loop for 5 hours straight.

- Tan an entire bottle of Bucky in one go and manage to stand upright for at least 30 minutes.

- Scran 2 deep-fried mars bars hidden deep in a large plastic container of chips and cheese.

- Bathe in Irn Bru for 1 hour to cleanse all the English out of you. You are then required to drink Irn Bru.

- DVD marathon of Season 1 to 4 of Chewin the Fat followed by Season 1 - 7 of Still Game back to back in one sitting. No breaks. Clockwork Orange style.

Any signs of disgust, remorse or anguish will have their form immediately rejected.
The same Irn Bru I bathe in?

Bishop89

Bx7S6hi.jpg

Audioboxer

Fried shoes in Scotland ofc.

Ah you're right. Our new members coming up from down South better get used to enjoying heart disease.

On a related note what is the deal with England not knowing what Chicken Pakora is?! I was in London and the Indians don't sell it.

I mean cmon. It's delicious.

Ah you're right. Our new members coming up from down South better get used to enjoying heart disease.

On a related note what is the deal with England not knowing what Chicken Pakora is?! I was in London and the Indians don't see it.

Chicken Pakora... <3

Strictly

The last few days, somehow, leave supporters have morphed into this guy:

07-minister.jpg

I remember the ridicule he suffered. I do wonder if that's how EU leaders are starting to view us. Brussels branded tanks have started to roll up; those who are able have have started their escape; yet everything is fine?

On a related note what is the deal with England not knowing what Chicken Pakora is?! I was in London and the Indians don't see it.

I live in London and my local Indian does a mean Chicken Pakora.

azyless

this, clearly not a popular opinion, but it never would be on GAF, on Reddit it gets a hero response lol

It seems watching the news this reason was overwhelmingly the reason, so Labour and the Tories only have themselves to blame
You can use literally every other kind of election to do a protest vote, a referendum isn't meant to do that. That's a stupid, immature, and potentially dangerous thing to do. Shocking to read this.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
What is going on? Tom Watson (I thought he was one of the good guys) just told Corbyn to quit. What a joke.

He is. I get that a lot of people really like Jeremy Corbyn, but he can't lead a parliamentary party that doesn't have confidence in him. The Labour Party cannot win a general election if our MPs and the leadership are not on the same page.

theaface

Tak3n, I do genuinely applaud you for sticking around in the mounting face of criticism and (sometimes) ridicule when many other people who voted leave have run for the hills upon realising they fucked up.

BUT, I find it utterly bizarre that you won't abandon your previous position despite the truck loads of evidence, both past and present that the Leave vote was/is TERRIBLE for this country, TERRIBLE for your town and TERRIBLE for your own opportunities and prospects. I can sympathise if you're stuck in one of the areas of the country which is criminally underfunded and unloved, but voting out of the EU is quite rightly compared to shitting your own bed in protest and then having to sleep in it. Please tell me you finally see that?

avaya

TBF I am on personal terms with Henry, and I tell you what he is a excellent MP, that is why he continues to get voted in

His only downfall is he is a yes boy in public, but privately he hates immigration, but he works bloody hard for local issues

No offence, but since you continuously voted Tory your area effectively voted to fuck itself. No sympathy whatsoever. You were their useful idiots.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What is going on? Tom Watson (I thought he was one of the good guys) just told Corbyn to quit. What a joke.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36638041

Watson is not as blinkered as Corbyn, he can see that the party will forever be divided between the PLP and members under Corbyn's leadership. The only way to make Labour an effective party is to find a unifying candidate who can take them forward, the referendum campaign makes clear that Corbyn is not willing to do what's best for the PLP and is happy to pootle along taking selfies with students in London while the party swirls down the political toilet.

Seems like MPS actually have to vote on this for a new bill to actually pass the referendum:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...n-a7105181.html?amp?client=ms-android-om-lge#

There are so many hurdles to this thing actually standing a chance of happening.

I've always said voting Leave wouldn't be the end of it, we're shaping up to a snap general election at this rate which will be fought on Leave or Stay. There must have been a doomsday scenario considered which looks to be playing out now.

What basically happened on a much larger scale if I follow your thought process: Your internet is slow because your provider sucks and he has a monopoly in your area, so you decide to burn down your whole neigbourhood "to shake things up a bit".

Scottish citizenship entry requirements:-

- Sit - less than 1 metre - away from a live bagpiper and appreciate the beautiful rendition of "Highland Cathedral" on loop for 5 hours straight.

- Tan an entire bottle of Bucky in one go and manage to stand upright for at least 30 minutes.

- Scran 2 deep-fried mars bars hidden deep in a large plastic container of chips and cheese.

- Bathe in Irn Bru for 1 hour to cleanse all the English out of you. You are then required to drink Irn Bru.

- DVD marathon of Season 1 to 4 of Chewin the Fat followed by Season 1 - 7 of Still Game back to back in one sitting. No breaks. Clockwork Orange style.

Any signs of disgust, remorse or anguish will have their form immediately rejected.

Fucking hell you guys are evil! How'd you not get done for war crimes? Can't I just have the waterboarding instead?

If that's the way it's got to be then I'm crossing the border as an illegal. You'll never catch, I'm dying my hair ginger and perfecting my accent as we speek - "och ey tha nooo" ;)

No offence, but since you continuously voted Tory your area effectively voted to fuck itself. No sympathy whatsoever. You were their useful idiots.

yeah folk like that have no right to complain about poor servives when they vote in a party of austerity which obliterated them, sorry but that is just pure stupidity.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
He is. I get that a lot of people really like Jeremy Corbyn, but he can't lead a parliamentary party that doesn't have confidence in him. The Labour Party cannot win a general election if our MPs and the leadership are not on the same page.

Then given the endorsement the party gave him at a national level, maybe we need to find some new MPs.

Hasney

I've always said voting Leave wouldn't be the end of it, we're shaping up to a snap general election at this rate which will be fought on Leave or Stay. There must have been a doomsday scenario considered which looks to be playing out now.

With how fractured the Tories and Labour are right now, it could even go down to individual MPs saying how they would vote rather than a party line for those two. I'm not sure if that will help or hinder.

You better hope they replace Corbyn then because Labour under him is so unelectable that the Tories will probably get an increase majority and it is my understanding that there are more euro-sceptic conservative MPs than pro-Europeans.

PJV3

If he goes, I'm done with British politics. The only beacon in an ocean of shit.

The only way the left can work and not be embroiled in power struggles is a PR voting system.

It is the system.

But this is precisely not the time to give up, too much is happening now to do that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Hmm. Leave and fuck the country or stay and riots in the streets? I'm loving that choice. Thanks.

Zafir

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36638041

I hate to say it but, it would be the best for the party.

If Corbyn can't even unify his party, then what hope does he have to get the electorate on his side?

Unfortunately, Corbyn just isn't cut out to be the leader that's required at the moment. I don't think that goes against him as a person or politician though.

Chinner

Banned
The only way the left can work and not be embroiled in power struggles is a PR voting system.

It is the system.

But this is precisely not the time to give up, too much is happening now to do that.
I saw UKIP voters on the Daily Mail asking for PR voting system. Was magical.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Then given the endorsement the party gave him at a national level, maybe we need to find some new MPs.

I think that endorsement might not last given events, though. That said, if it does, the party will split, so new MPs is quite likely.

Maledict

If he goes, I'm done with British politics. The only beacon in an ocean of shit.

He has been the most ineffectual party leader in living memory. He has achieved nothing, and is completely and utterly unviable in terms of a general election. He has absolutely lost the support of the entire elected party officials base, from both left and right wings of the party. He also deliberately sabotaged the Labour Remain campaign because he doesn't believe in it.

At some point you have to realise the guy is just plain *bad*. It's very easy to say cool lefty things in a London suburb, but ultimately you need to get things done and get elected - and he isn't capable of either. He won't have enough MPs to actually fill the shadow cabinet at this rate.

liquidtmd

Banned
Typical Facebook post today

"OKAY BY VOTING LEAVE WE MAY HAVE FUCKED THE ECONOMY AND DESTROYED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR A GENERATION BUT STOP WHINGING REMAINERS AND HELP US COME UP WITH A PLAN YOU FUCKING TWATS LETS UNITE AND MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" #weneedaplan

Bravo guys. If only somebody had warned you.

Tak3n

Banned
I suspect if someone sees Dan Jarvis behind him you will see a line of the PLP on bended knee begging him to change his mind about running

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

There are a lot more Labour voters than there are members of the Labour party. If the MPs selected by the public do not have confidence in Corbyn, then he needs to go. He has had plenty of time and was given a chance to put himself out there and fight for the party on the issue of Europe. He failed, now it's time to get rid. He doesn't have the personality to unify the party and lead from the front.

PJV3

I saw UKIP voters on the Daily Mail asking for PR voting system. Was magical.

They could have been killed off as a party much earlier if the country wasn't so fucked.

I was tempted to vote leave myself, but I will not align with these fucking lunatics.

SuperSah

Banned
Typical Facebook post today

"OKAY BY VOTING LEAVE WE MAY HAVE FUCKED THE ECONOMY AND DESTROYED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR A GENERATION BUT STOP WHINGING REMAINERS AND HELP US COME UP WITH A PLAN YOU FUCKING TWATS LETS UNITE AND MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" #weneedaplan

Bravo guys. If only somebody had warned you.

Fuck you, I'd never assist someone so moronic.

(them not you)

Tak3n, I do genuinely applaud you for sticking around in the mounting face of criticism and (sometimes) ridicule when many other people who voted leave have run for the hills upon realising they fucked up.

BUT, I find it utterly bizarre that you won't abandon your previous position despite the truck loads of evidence, both past and present that the Leave vote was/is TERRIBLE for this country, TERRIBLE for your town and TERRIBLE for your own opportunities and prospects. I can sympathise if you're stuck in one of the areas of the country which is criminally underfunded and unloved, but voting out of the EU is quite rightly compared to shitting your own bed in protest and then having to sleep in it. Please tell me you finally see that?
Oh please, the hyperbolic hysteria is getting ridiculous now. Calm down. Yes we are in uncharted waters, but whatever happened to our sense of adventure?

I genuinely believe that the final settlement will be an outcome that be something remainers and leavers can live with. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that the eventual goal of the EU was further political integration which a lot of remainers as well as leavers did not like the idea of. So it's probably better that the opportunity to reassess the situation happens now, rather than 10 or 20 years down the line when we will have become even more intertwined with the EU.

I voted leave, didn't expect them to win nor do I even expect it to mean complete secession from the EU but I have no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom