• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromwell

Banned
Typical Facebook post today

"OKAY BY VOTING LEAVE WE MAY HAVE FUCKED THE ECONOMY AND DESTROYED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR A GENERATION BUT STOP WHINGING REMAINERS AND HELP US COME UP WITH A PLAN YOU FUCKING TWATS LETS UNITE AND MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" #weneedaplan

Bravo guys. If only somebody had warned you.

Also "It was a democratic decision you have to respect it! It doesn't matter that your life is being impacted or the economy tanked! Democracy! Now help us get good deals with the EU. Please."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah I'm not voting Labour again if is he forced out, and I have never voted for anyone else.

Yeah, that'll fix things.

Is it really that hard to imagine a better leader than Corbyn?

Oh please, the hyperbolic hysteria is getting ridiculous now. Calm down. Yes we are in uncharted waters, but whatever happened to our sense of adventure?

tumblr_mpkxahfEgE1rsxo3uo1_250.gif

*Splinter

Oh please, the hyperbolic hysteria is getting ridiculous now. Calm down. Yes we are in uncharted waters, but whatever happened to our sense of adventure?

I genuinely believe that the final settlement will be an outcome that be something remainers and leavers can live with. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that the eventual goal of the EU was further political integration which a lot of remainers as well as leavers did not like the idea of. So it's probably better that the opportunity to reassess the situation happens now, rather than 10 or 20 years down the line when we will have become even more intertwined with the EU.

I voted leave, didn't expect them to win nor do I even expect it to mean complete secession from the EU but I have no regrets.
"A sense of adventure" is great reasoning as long as it's only your own money/time/health you are gambling with

Audioboxer

"OKAY BY VOTING LEAVE WE MAY HAVE FUCKED THE ECONOMY AND DESTROYED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR A GENERATION BUT STOP WHINGING REMAINERS AND HELP US COME UP WITH A PLAN YOU FUCKING TWATS LETS UNITE AND MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" #weneedaplan

Sad thing is no one wants to tear their country apart and we do all want unity but it's near impossible with the bumbling buffoons we have coming out as leaders mishandling the situation and pouring gasoline over a lit fire. Us peasants posting for unity on FB doesn't stop the financial markets bleeding and the globe from mocking us while our PM gives himself 3 months gardening leave and does a runner.

theaface

Sense of adventure? Wow. Maybe now I really have seen and heard it all.

Is this a real FB post? I'm not sure what's real and what's parody anymore (see quote above).

SuperSah

Banned

I genuinely believe that the final settlement will be an outcome that be something remainers and leavers can live with. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that the eventual goal of the EU was further political integration which a lot of remainers as well as leavers did not like the idea of. So it's probably better that the opportunity to reassess the situation happens now, rather than 10 or 20 years down the line when we will have become even more intertwined with the EU.

I voted leave, didn't expect them to win nor do I even expect it to mean complete secession from the EU but I have no regrets.

This is not a game. This is not an 'adventure'.

Hasney

This makes me wonder about UK as one of the biggest video game markets.

It won't be by revenue. I wouldn't be totally surprised if more stores start getting closer to the RRP for prices here since the weaker £ makes stores selling EU imports for cheaper quite difficult.

Yeah I'm not voting Labour again if is he forced out, and I have never voted for anyone else.

I'm going to hold out on the situation; but if he goes and the way he goes is as it is at the moment, then I'm done with Labour and a lot of people will be.

The kind of politics they're looking for has been rejected time and again; but they'll scapegoat Corbyn as not being electable, yet their New Labour was unelectable for the past two elections.

I'm broadly a fan of Corbyn, minus the lacklustre Remain campaign, but it's too late. He never got a day as leader before the Blairites and the Papers dove on him, it's a shame he never got a chance but the anti-Corbyn section won the narrative, he's going to have to go.

Carbonox

Irn Bru is my favourite soft drink - do I get a free pass to move to Scotland? I've got a workmate who lives in Scotland too! My underage booze of choice back in the day was also Tennent's Super. I'm Scottish at heart, honest.

On a more serious note I've had to bite my tongue these past few days far more than I think I've ever had to in my life. My mum, 90% of my friends, etc. they were all for Leave and all justifying it due to incorrect information and just outright lies. "Who gives a fuck though, no more EU control, no more immigration, we'll be better off financially, etc. etc.". I just wanted to scream at every opportunity. Only benefit really is that I've drawn lines when it comes to certain people now. They just don't give a fuck how much information you provide - there is no changing their mind. It's also made me realize just how far gone a lot of people I know are in these aspects.

So frustrating - this is the only place I can actually air my grievances outside of some colleagues/friends who are more clued in. It legitimately saddened me beyond words seeing the true colours of people who are close to me.

Maledict

Sense of adventure as I will lose my job due to this result in the next few months? Great!

And no, no final settlement we reach will leave me happy because I want to be in the damn EU. I was *born* in the EU, and now I'm having rights and my European citizenship stripped from me. How on earth would I be happy with any change to that?

Cromwell

Banned

Sense of adventure? ROFL

O97G1_s-200x150.gif

This is the fucking economy and people's lives. If you want adventure go on a vacation.

Joni

The United Kingdom had an opt-out for further integrations. The European Union was willing to work in two speeds, with countries that want to integrate and those that don't. That is stuff the UK had... All Europe wanted was that the UK let them do that.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sad thing is no one wants to tear their country apart and we do all want unity but it's near impossible with the bumbling buffoons we have coming out as leaders mishandling the situation and pouring gasoline over a lit fire. Us peasants posting for unity on FB doesn't stop the financial markets bleeding and the globe from mocking us while our PM gives himself 3 months gardening leave and does a runner.

I do want unity but I find it very difficult to reconcile with people who were warned a million times that it was dangerous to drive, went out and crashed the car and now are running round saying "help us, we've crashed the car"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sense of adventure? Wow. Maybe now I really have seen and heard it all.

Where have you been? The good ship Britannia has now been set free from it's moorings and is free to roam the high seas with the begging bowl strapped to the bow. All aboard!

Did Boris Johnson just say the Pound is stable?

What the fudge?

Strange thing, the moment he said that it started to fall again... obviously the markets trust him. I expect petrol prices to go up pretty soon now with pound falling even further, lets see how it feels for leavers when their wallet is lighter.

cormack12

Gold Member
Speaking on Sunday, French President Francois Hollande said there was no going back on the UK's decision, adding: "What was once unthinkable has become irreversible."

Ominous. Europe are gleefully watching us walk the plank.

I assume you deleted him/her. Realisation has set in. They want us all to pitch in, work hard for the good of the economy. Kind of the ethos of the EU. Melons.

Spladam

"MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" That phrase is the worst part about that. I'll say it again, learning about all this has taught me how much we (The U.S.) has in common with you guys politically and socially.

oti

Banned
It won't be by revenue. I wouldn't be totally surprised if more stores start getting closer to the RRP for prices here since the weaker £ makes stores selling EU imports for cheaper quite difficult.

Yeah but it's not just that. Once developers move away the industry will follow. Sony PlayStation leaving the UK for instance and the UK not being first for new features like PS Now and other stuff.

Super irrelevant in the grand scheme of things I know, just wondering.

I do, I have always been 90% secure in my reason to vote leave....

In my area we have had no investment at all to cope with the immigration, since 1994 when the doors were opened....

No new schools
No new doctors
no expansion to hospital
no new housing (this is now changing, but to little too late)
no new infrastructure (roads etc)

We have literally been dumped on and allowed to just 'cope' and if you moan you are a racist....all the houses are being bought and turned into HMO's

Now the instant reply is that this is a Government issue not a EU issue, but I am sick of our area just being ignored and left to cope....

I live near Boston by the way (the town that overwhelmingly voted leave) you want to see what damage immigration can do to a area without support, just look it up.. if we had voted to remain, the status quo would just continue... and the horse has well and truly bolted now, you could build non stop and never catch up....

Looking at the results it seems a lot of people feel the same in other areas

a good read if you want to see what uncontrolled migration does to a town

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-most-divided-place-in-england-a6838041.html

also worth noting there was a report as well on how sport direct had ruined the town where their warehouse is due to shipping in mass migration

They clearly need to build some schools because an ability to think and reason rationally should have been taught to you by grade 3.

azyless

Sense of adventure ? Jesus.
As for the bolded, considering the main factor for Leave voters (stopping immigration) has virtually no chance of happening, I wouldn't be so sure.

You better hope they replace Corbyn then because Labour under him is so unelectable that the Tories will probably get an increase majority and it is my understanding that there are more euro-sceptic conservative MPs than pro-Europeans.

I voted Leave, I'm just sceptical that the Tory heirachy, having used the Referendum as a tool to with the election, do not have a plan in case of a "wrong" vote.

Another vote on this will happen, probably by proxy on a general election fought on leave or stay.

The United Kingdom had an opt-out for further integrations. The European Union was willing to work in two speeds, with countries that want to integrate and those that don't. That is stuff the UK had... All Europe wanted was that the UK let them do that.

All. Thrown. Away.

Real Hero

Yeah, that'll fix things.

Is it really that hard to imagine a better leader than Corbyn?

That's not the point, if he stands again and wins and they still don't get behind him or they attempt to block him from running again fuck them. They were going against him since he was elected

On a more serious note I've had to bite my tongue these past few days far more than I think I've ever had to in my life. My mum, 90% of my friends, etc. they were all for Leave and all justifying it due to incorrect information and just outright lies. "Who gives a fuck though, no more EU control, no more immigration, we'll be better off financially, etc. etc.". I just wanted to scream at every opportunity. Only benefit really is that I've drawn lines when it comes to certain people now. They just don't give a fuck how much information you provide - there is no changing their mind. It's also made me realize just how far gone a lot of people I know are in these aspects.

Bollocks to that! I'm not holding back. I respect my Mum's vote - but she knows exactly how I feel. As would anyone who dares to look me in the eye and tell me they helped fuck up our country for $unsustainablereasons.

To be fair, it was. I have one vote and I took a gamble. One man, one vote. And it would seem that more people decided to take a gamble.

One man, one vote, one gamble - except the gamble is for the whole country, not just you.

There's gambling on your vote, and there's gambling on the result.

oti

Banned
People will fall into the "we can make this work together, let's be united, we don't need them" narrative. That's what Russia does all the time.

*Splinter

I've lost all faith in Corbyn thanks to his "contributions" to the Remain campaign. But on the other hand I don't trust the rest of Labour either, they do seem to be "Tory-lites" and have been undermining Corbyn long before this.

So who do I vote for now? Normally I'd continue to vote Labour just as the anti-Tory vote, but some are suggesting that the Tories are also done for. Come next election, will I be voting Tory as the anti-UKIP vote? :/
No idea what the Lib Dems are up to, have people gotten over their so-called betrayal yet? Could they be a viable party?

Maledict

I'm going to hold out on the situation; but if he goes and the way he goes is as it is at the moment, then I'm done with Labour and a lot of people will be.

The kind of politics they're looking for has been rejected time and again; but they'll scapegoat Corbyn as not being electable, yet their New Labour was unelectable for the past two elections.

New Labour is the only time labour has been elected in the last 40 years. And Ed Miliband certainly did run under New Labours banner - and he lost, badly. It's rewriting history to say he did.

The fact is, as much as people hate to admit it, the research done after 2015 showed that the working class who voted for Labour and then switched to the Torys in 2010 and 2015 still regard Blair as the best labour leader and the most trustworthy. a Corbyn's activist base needs to realise that their message isn't being heard and that new labour was not the source of all evil in the world.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's not the point, if he stands again and wins and they still don't get behind him or they attempt to block him from running again fuck them. They were going against him since he was elected

If he wins again the Labour Party will split. That's the closest thing we have to certainty at this point.

Audioboxer

"A sense of adventure" is coming to the North and trying to understand the Scottish when they speak.

"A sense of adventure" is not levelling a SL120 DS3 Hollow Build and bleeding your economy to death in 4 hits.

StayDead

French President Francois Hollande said there was no going back on the UK's decision, adding: "What was once unthinkable has become irreversible."

This annoys me to no end. Not only is our referendum not legally binding and we haven't even technically started to leave Europe yet, he's happy to sit there and say a big fuck you to the 16 million of us who voted to stay.

Why is everyone acting like children in politics over this? (not that it's any different normally to be fair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom