• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please, the hyperbolic hysteria is getting ridiculous now. Calm down. Yes we are in uncharted waters, but whatever happened to our sense of adventure?

In the short term I'm scaling back my 'sense of adventure' due to the fact I'm now going to have much less money for my trip to Japan.

In the long term, hopefully, my sense of adventure will take me away from this shithole of a country for longer than a few weeks.

StayDead

We are leaving, 17m would riot otherwise.

17m would not riot. Anyone with a brain who voted leave will see how bad things have already become and are changing their mind on the situation and this is even daily mail readers who might as well be called the scum of the earth due to the drivel the daily mail publishes.

If there's another referendum, Remain is going to win. Politicians are not going to fuck over themselves and the country for the benefit of biggots and racists. If they do leave the EU then there's going to be 16m people rioting.

Seriously, it's not mutually exclusive. Something needs to be done. 50-50 is not enough of a gap to make a decision like that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Corbyn apparently refused to say to Bryant if he voted leave or not.

Spoiler: He most likely voted leave.

it wouldn't surprise me. every time he was out campaigning it basically looked like this

U62Ygul.gif

ShogunX

Not once did anyone from Leave promise stopping immigration, not once.

It was certainly implied. The whole ''take back control of our borders'' we kept hearing is pretty much playing the tune many people who want to stop immigration wanted to hear.

Now matter which way you look at the vote, people have voted to stop immigration, to save our NHS and to save 350m a week. All three have been shot down within days which is why the whole ''will of the people'' line that people love to fall back on is total bollocks.

In the short term I'm scaling back my 'sense of adventure' due to the fact I'm now going to have much less money for my trip to Japan.

In the long term, hopefully, my sense of adventure will take me away from this shithole of a country for longer than a few weeks.

Small consolation but i hope you have a nice time in Japan. Went there to visit two japanese friends when I was fifteen and its a lovely country. Enoshima on the coast was beautiful and their Green Tea Frappucinos are God Tier.

Want to go back one day.

Mr. Sam

I doubt he voted leave, guys. He's just obtuse. Even if he did, the millions of votes he potentially cost Remain are far more relevant than his one.

Audioboxer

This is minor stuff, just wait and see what happens when we lose to Iceland tonight

Plot twist, big Roy will tell the team to chuck it just so that tomorrow's papers and media will stop focusing on the EU ref train wreck.

Roy is the real hero we need. Sterling to play as captain and for 90 minutes.

Joni

To be fair, I would have preferred this option. It's a shame it was never offered to the electorate.

You had that option, it was 'Remain'.

This annoys me to no end. Not only is our referendum not legally binding and we haven't even technically started to leave Europe yet, he's happy to sit there and say a big fuck you to the 16 million of us who voted to stay.

Why is everyone acting like children in politics over this? (not that it's any different normally to be fair)

European leaders will do their best to avoid any language that could be interpreted as wanting to circumvent the referendum and get them to stay. If the United Kingdom wants to stay, they'll have to prove that themselves.

Typical Facebook post today

"OKAY BY VOTING LEAVE WE MAY HAVE FUCKED THE ECONOMY AND DESTROYED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR A GENERATION BUT STOP WHINGING REMAINERS AND HELP US COME UP WITH A PLAN YOU FUCKING TWATS LETS UNITE AND MAKE GREAT BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN" #weneedaplan

Bravo guys. If only somebody had warned you.

This is the one I'm seeing constantly reposted at the moment:

Right. Fuck this. We're ALL up shit creek and we need a paddle. Now, not in three months.

Fellow Remain voters: Enough already. Yes, we're all pissed off but navel gazing ain't gonna help. Not all 17 million Leave voters can possibly be racist northern pensioners without an O level to their name. Maybe they have a point about this quitting the EU thing? Maybe not. Whatever, we are where we are and no amount a whinging is gonna change that. Allegedly we're the intelligent ones, so get your thinking caps on.

Leave voters. Well done. Good game. We hear you. Now you need to get stuck in to the aftermath and not just piss off back to Wetherspoons. (Just banter, twats!). And the first person to say they "want their country back" gets deported to fucking Gibraltar. OK?

Politicians.

David. Fuck off. Shut the door behind you. Now.

George. You may be a twat but you're our twat. Plus you know the passwords for our Junior Savers account. Get your calculator. Drop the face-like-a-slapped-ass routine. You're on.

Boris. Sorry mate. That photo of you abseiling by your scrotum over the London Olympics while waving a Union Jack can't ever be un-taken. Plus, you'll never be able to appear on Question Time again without some sturdy Glaswegian nurse asking where the fuck her 350 million quid is. Not only will she have a very good point, she'll be wearing a T shirt that shows you gurning in front of that fucking bus! No captains hat for you I'm afraid.

Theresa. You're in charge love. Get the biggest shoulder pads you've got. We need Ming The Merciless in drag and you'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Nicola. Yep. Fair cop. You probably could get us on a technicality, as could London. But we fucking love shortbread. And oil. And to be honest you're probably the best politician we've got, so we need you on side. Sort your lot out and we promise never to mention that Jimmy Krankie thing again (although it is pretty uncanny) and we'll make you a Dame once we're sorted. Bring Ruth Davidson. She kicks ass.

Opposition party. We'll need one. Someone take Jeremy and John back to the British Legion Club where you found them. Take Nigel as well. Give back their sandals, buy them a pint, then go to Heathrow and collect David Milliband. Fuck it. Lets gets Ed Balls as well. He keeps George on his toes. I think he works on the lottery kiosk at Morrisons now?

Oh. And Mark Carney. Give him a knighthood and tell him to keep that shit coming. We definitely need more of that good shit!

Everyone set? Right. Hold the Easyjet. We're going to Brussels and this ain't no hen party.

‪#‎weneedaplan‬ Share!

But I genuinely believe that it isn't going to be the apocalypse. Things change, empires rise and fall and the international order is constantly in flux. Let calm heads prevail and see how it unfolds.

Again with the blind, sheer faith. Going into this on a 'gut feeling' is insanely irresponsible. I genuinely need to know how people do not see this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Plot twist, big Roy will tell the team to chuck it just so that tomorrow's papers and media will stop focusing on the EU ref train wreck.

Roy is the real hero we need. Sterling to play as captain and for 90 minutes.

I'm cheering Iceland for sure.

Funny to watch American TV and it's like "Good for the UK, the EU is disintegrating".

FFS.

Pro Trump Fox likely eh, US will realign closer to France and Germany to protect its influence in Europe, that is beyond doubt. After Syrian military intervention by other allies surpassing the UKs, we will not have the same influence.

Maledict

We are leaving, 17m would riot otherwise.

No they wouldn't - pensioners don't riot generally. Young people do though, and we know how they voted.

Whilst I still think the odds are it does happen, there's been enough talk and action over the last few days to make me think it wouldn't now. The wheels fell off the leave campaign far faster than I anticipated, and thankfully between Angela Merkel and Nicola Sturgeon there are still rational people out there who may save us from ourself.

I doubt he voted leave, guys. He's just obtuse. Even if he did, the millions of votes he potentially cost Remain are far more relevant than his one.

But what's the point of being obtuse? He campaigned for Remain yes? So then he should have no problem admitting he voted Remain.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Will tjusecifcwho wanted to remain be able to leave the UK ?
The EU won't fuck over half a country to make a point will it ?

No they wouldn't - pensioners don't riot generally. Young people do though, and we know how they voted.

Whilst I still think the odds are it does happen, there's been enough talk and action over the last few days to make me think it wouldn't now. The wheels fell off the leave campaign far faster than I anticipated, and thankfully between Angela Merkel and Nicola Sturgeon there are still rational people out there who may save us from ourself.

It was clear from question time last night, leave voters expect no going back, no free movement and such wont be tolerated, this is going to be horrendously bad for the UK and i hope folk are prepared for whats coming.

Pro Trump Fox likely eh, US will realign closer to France and Germany to protect its influence in Europe, that is beyond doubt. After Syrian military intervention by other allies surpassing the UKs, we will not have the same influence.

Actually Morning Joe lol.

"UK can be Hong Kong, people want to do business in London, Continental Europe is different".

mid83

A bit off topic, but as an outsider I keep seeing housing mentioned as a major concern in many areas in the North that feel forgotten which led to a leave vote. I've also seen it mentioned regarding London, which I assume is related to how expensive London housing is.

So my question is what is the overall housing issue in the UK? Is it that housing is too expensive even in the North? Is there not enough housing? How does that play into the decision for people to vote leave?

Cromwell

Banned
This is the one I'm seeing constantly reposted at the moment:

Fucking pathetic. They seriously look like weasels begging Scotland to stay and for Remain voters to just shut up and play nice.

My god, how on earth could anyone think willingly putting themselves into a position where they have to grovel was a good move? Groveling to Scotland, groveling to the EU for a good deal, groveling to the people getting fucked over by this to just stick with them.

jonno394

A bit off topic, but as an outsider I keep seeing housing mentioned as a major concern in many areas in the North that feel forgotten which led to a leave vote. I've also seen it mentioned regarding London, which I assume is related to how expensive London housing is.

So my question is what is the overall housing issue in the UK? Is it that housing is too expensive even in the North? Is there not enough housing? How does that play into the decision for people to vote leave?

1) Not enough housing
2) Housing market is expensive, people being priced out
3) People blame immigration/asylum seekers as well as foreign investment for the prices

Correct me if I am wrong but my take on the situation after reading this thread is that the UK is rather unhappy with its social state and decided to put that on the EU rather than on its own politicians ?

The issue really is TPTP constituency politics. It plays into consecutive Tory government hands - which leads to disenfranchisement of the populous. This is the first real vote by the people not based on this system. No surprise it's seen as a time to rebel against the establishment.

Sadly, even though it was not an ideal solution, when given the chance to get rid of FPTP and give the people are more representative say in politics - they largely stayed at home and didn't vote. Those that did turn out said overwhelmingly to stay with the status quo.

I was watching a politician on the news this morning (can't remember who. Pro remain tory, I think). The words coming out of his mouth sounded right for London bust showed a complete lack of understanding of the national feeling or mood outside London.

Even worse this is nothing new. This Westminster - rest of England disconnect as been bubbling under the surface for years - at least around the time of the Global Economic Crises - that was '08 wasn't it?

It's sad but even after Thursday vote the political elite still aren't getting what the people have been trying to tell them. (largely austerity is not working).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom