• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's not the point, if he stands again and wins and they still don't get behind him or they attempt to block him from running again fuck them. They were going against him since he was elected

They are trying to force him to resign and stay out of any leadership contest. That's what this whole thing is about.

Tak3n

Banned
Strange thing, the moment he said that it started to fall again... obviously the markets trust him. I expect petrol prices to go up pretty soon now with pound falling even further, lets see how it feels for leavers when their wallet is lighter.

Funny story, the missus is giving me the stink eye all weekend (she is about as pro eu as you can get) I just kept my head down really at home....

I stupidly said to her yesterday that fuel is likely to go up quickly with the pound tanking...she said...is this because of the leave vote

.....yep......

then this happened with her

giphy.gif

This annoys me to no end. Not only is our referendum not legally binding and we haven't even technically started to leave Europe yet, he's happy to sit there and say a big fuck you to the 16 million of us who voted to stay.

Why is everyone acting like children in politics over this? (not that it's any different normally to be fair)

The UK is not the centre of the world, they now have to shore up the EU and we have created a million problems for them, do you expect them to say oh well done, good job lads.

danowat

Banned
Funny story, the missus is giving me the stink eye all weekend (she is about as pro eu as you can get) I just kept my head down really at home....

I stupidly said to her yesterday that fuel is likely to go up quickly with the pound tanking...she said...is this because of the leave vote

.....yep......

Just out of morbid curiosity, do you still think leave was the right way to vote?

Carbonox

Bollocks to that! I'm not holding back. I respect my Mum's vote - but she knows exactly how I feel. As would anyone who dares to look me in the eye and tell me they helped fuck up our country for $unsustainablereasons.

Trust me, I've tried with her at least but she wants none of it. Immigration is her biggest reason. She lives next to two sets of Polish families. One are incredibly nice and the other not so much (the one I think nudges her in such a hardline direction sadly).

She was an immigrant too once upon a time.

PJV3

.....yep......

giphy.gif

You must have shares in a blood pressure tablet company, it's the only thing that explains it.

Real Hero

They are trying to force him to resign and stay out of any leadership contest. That's what this whole thing is about.

right and it's such a terrible time to do it, it just makes you think these people just do not give a shit. It's not a good look for the party and will put as many off as it will make people who want corbyn gone happy

It's also not true. Lincolnshire had 130 million pounds of EU money in the pipe to improve coastal defenses and help start up businesses, but now they're worried that they won't get it.

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-raises-doubts-over-130m-eu-funds-for-greater-lincolnshire/

You'll note in the article that Lincolnshire had previously gotten more than 20 million pounds from the EU.
This must be lies. Why would Great Britain rely on outsiders to fund regional development.

But even if it's true. It's okay. I'm sure Boris Johnson's Conservative Government will replace that £130 million investment.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not once did anyone from Leave promise stopping immigration, not once.

You are being naive in the extreme if you don't think that "take back control of our borders" was deliberately designed to infer a reduction in levels of immigration. David Cameron foolishly promised a reduction in immigration to the tens of thousands and Leave tried to position themselves as a faction that could achieve that.

"More control over immigration" is not political speak for "keep levels the same". Leave wanted people to imagine the drawbridge being pulled up.

right and it's such a terrible time to do it, it just makes you think these people just do not give a shit.It's not a good look for the party

None of this is a good look for anyone, but the referendum result showed that Corbyn cannot translate the will of the PLP (it's elected MPs) into an appealing message to traditional Labour voters. It was a test of leadership and he failed utterly. Better to make the change now while the other lot are doing the same.

Makareu

Correct me if I am wrong but my take on the situation after reading this thread is that the UK is rather unhappy with its social state and decided to put that on the EU rather than on its own politicians ?

danowat

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong but my take on the situation after reading this thread is that the UK is rather unhappy with its social state and decided to put that on the EU rather than on its own politicians ?

Well, ish.

It was a protest vote against the establishment.

Audioboxer

By the way GAF is the chilcot report not out in like 2 weeks?

What a time to be alive in this country. Talk about dropping a bomb on a car crash.

Stalk

Some members of the Leave group believed that they were voting for something they weren't.

Pretty much. It's also dissatisfaction with the whole economic system as it is, EU included, but it's not as if most people are crying out for radical redistribution or anything else that would actually stick it to the elites. It is also anger at the EU's failings, deservedly so, but taken to quite disproportionate levels considering Britain's charmed status in the system and the necessities of the economic and poltical realities Britain exists in.

fanboi

Banned
This annoys me to no end. Not only is our referendum not legally binding and we haven't even technically started to leave Europe yet, he's happy to sit there and say a big fuck you to the 16 million of us who voted to stay.

Why is everyone acting like children in politics over this? (not that it's any different normally to be fair)

If UK wouldn't uphold the referendrum it would give the far right and nationalist so much fire it would be even worse and larger risk of EU in the end disband, so I can see why EU make these statements.

Mainlanders acting butthurt is one of the most irritating things about this. Like you say, it's like they're completely ignoring that nearly as many people voted to Remain as there were people who voted to Leave.

Watching Liam Fox on Daily Politics - and he looks broken. This is supposed to be someone who won?

Yeah they must realise the implications on our economy are unavoidable now, i am sure various documents and such have been passed around Government and it is not pretty reading.

cormack12

Gold Member

After voting in an austerity-driven Tory government.

StayDead

The UK is not the centre of the world, they now have to shore up the EU and we have created a million problems for them, do you expect them to say oh well done, good job lads.

I don't really understand what you mean.

I'd be happy if our politicians begged to be forgiven, I know it's not going to happen, but in Europe we've technically not done anything at all yet to cause any problems.

The biggest thing we've done is screwed over the world economy the past few days, but to use that as a reason to fuck over the 16 million sensible people in the UK who didn't want any of this to happen I think is childish.

Why are the EU acting like they won't let us back in, when we've not even left?

avaya

they all seem like this is a fucking funeral, it's horrible

Because it IS a fucking funeral. These literal shithounds only wanted to deregulate a bit more and maybe strip away some worker rights. They know no single market access is catastrophic for the country.

Sense of adventure? Wow. Maybe now I really have seen and heard it all.

This is not a game. This is not an 'adventure'.

Sense of adventure as I will lose my job due to this result in the next few months? Great!

And no, no final settlement we reach will leave me happy because I want to be in the damn EU. I was *born* in the EU, and now I'm having rights and my European citizenship stripped from me. How on earth would I be happy with any change to that?

Sense of adventure? ROFL

O97G1_s-200x150.gif

This is the fucking economy and people's lives. If you want adventure go on a vacation.

Sense of adventure ? Jesus.
As for the bolded, considering the main factor for Leave voters (stopping immigration) has virtually no chance of happening, I wouldn't be so sure.

"A sense of adventure" is coming to the North and trying to understand the Scottish when they speak.

"A sense of adventure" is not levelling a SL120 DS3 Hollow Build and bleeding your economy to death in 4 hits.
I hear what you are all saying and I apologise for my poor choice of words. I get that you are worried and fearful about the future. I do not want to belittle your concerns and anxieties, and maybe I will be proved wrong. But I genuinely believe that it isn't going to be the apocalypse. Things change, empires rise and fall and the international order is constantly in flux. Let calm heads prevail and see how it unfolds.

The United Kingdom had an opt-out for further integrations. The European Union was willing to work in two speeds, with countries that want to integrate and those that don't. That is stuff the UK had... All Europe wanted was that the UK let them do that.
To be fair, I would have preferred this option. It's a shame it was never offered to the electorate.

That's not the point, if he stands again and wins and they still don't get behind him or they attempt to block him from running again fuck them. They were going against him since he was elected

Labour MP's need to be careful. If Corbyn is re-elected by the grassroots, what do the local Labour parties do when it comes to choosing candidates to run at the next general? If they don't get behind Corbyn now then they might find themselves replaced with more suitable candidates next time...

Audioboxer

Blairs probably quite happy at this point, the media has bigger fish to fry

After the next 2 weeks of despair and Cameron being AWOL the media will probably jump at the idea of deflecting from the EU mess.

It's us people who are about to be hit with another UK shame cluster bomb.

Everyone who is unhappy about *anything* was told by the Leave campaign that it's the EU's fault

and enough people believed it

I don't really understand what you mean.

I'd be happy if our politicians begged to be forgiven, I know it's not going to happen, but in Europe we've technically not done anything at all yet to cause any problems.

The biggest thing we've done is screwed over the world economy the past few days, but to use that as a reason to fuck over the 16 million sensible people in the UK who didn't want any of this to happen I think is childish.

Why are the EU acting like they won't let us back in, when we've not even left?

We are leaving, 17m would riot otherwise.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Guys, guys, it's all gonna be fine.

8qzgjET.jpg

More bulldogs, more Union Jacks. That's the answer to everything.

Source: Pro Brexiters on Facebook

Mr. Sam

I can't wait for the adventure if the conveyancing firm I work for goes under, or if my girlfriend loses her job in science publishing, or if no bank will lend us the money to move out from our parents' houses. People at work are already having adventures being told they can't have the pay rises they were promised but must work twice as hard. My stocks and shares are already off having an adventure of their own - I'm jealous.

By the way GAF is the chilcot report not out in like 2 weeks?

What a time to be alive in this country. Talk about dropping a bomb on a car crash.

It is. And apart from Downing Street no one (government wise) is getting a preview but Corbyn already wants Blair done on war crimes. It will never go far enough for a lot of people but it could be full of enough truth bomba to distract from EU bollocks for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom