• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt53v8U.gif

It's a bit janky but its the best I can do with the time I had.

It's perfect

StayDead

It was clear from question time last night, leave voters expect no going back, no free movement and such wont be tolerated, this is going to be horrendously bad for the UK and i hope folk are prepared for whats coming.

If leave voters expect that then they'll be rioting anyway. There's no way we can trade with he EU (not kill our economy completely) without accepting free movement.

We may as well just reverse the whole thing. We can't gain anything at all for leaving Europe, only lose the good deal we already had.

Fucking pathetic. They seriously look like weasels begging Scotland to stay and for Remain voters to just shut up and play nice.

My god, how on earth could anyone think willingly putting themselves into a position where they have to grovel was a good move? Groveling to Scotland, groveling to the EU for a good deal, groveling to the people getting fucked over by this to just stick with them.

It isn't politically correct but a lot of them are as dumb as bag of rocks. They've got no foresight and only care about getting one over on the establishment (if that). It is painful how short sighted and selfish they are.

Jesus christ, this is not having a couple shots of absinthe in your lunch break and going back to work!

How dare you be so fucking cavalier about this.
A lot of us (remainers and leavers) were unhappy with the general direction the country was going in though. This referendum is going to allow us as a country to have a period of political realignment and reflection on our place in the world and where we want to go next. I think a lot of people have felt that the UK has been on a high speed train, charging ahead without any clear sense about our destination.

We have been acting like a world power when we are not anymore, and we have been spending way beyond our means on keeping up this pretence by funding an oversized military and nuclear deterrent for a start. What is the use of being the 5th richest country in the world if there are whole swathes of the UK population do not reap this benefit.

1) Not enough housing
2) Housing market is expensive, people being priced out
3) People blame immigration/asylum seekers as well as foreign investment for the prices

Also heaven for landlords who are already on the housing market and have cash to spare. They're the ones buying up new houses as soon as they're made available, and charging high rent for. Which locks the younger generation into a cycle of spending far too much on rent, to the point they can't save for a mortgage. Housing developers don't care because they still get paid, and know wealthy landlords can afford higher house prices than a relatively poor younger generation. This issue is far more prevalent in London and the south east than it is in the north though.

While I'm mostly just fascinated by the absurdity of it all, I sincerely hope everyone from the UK makes it out of this fine. Most of you don't deserve this.

EDIT: Except for the politicians who gambled away their country's future for political gain. Fuck em

jonno394

Also heaven for landlords who are already on the housing market and have cash to spare. They're the ones buying up new houses as soon as they're made available, and charging high rent for. Which locks the younger generation into a cycle of spending far too much on rent, to the point they can't save for a mortgage. Housing developers don't care because they still get paid, and know wealthy landlords can afford higher house prices than a relatively poor younger generation. This issue is far more prevalent in London and the south east than it is in the north though.

Yeah I'm trapped in that situation where the rent I'm paying is making saving for a deposit much harder :/

The issue really is TPTP constituency politics. It plays into consecutive Tory government hands - which leads to disenfranchisement of the populous. This is the first real vote by the people not based on this system. No surprise it's seen as a time to rebel against the establishment.

Sadly, even though it was not an ideal solution, when given the chance to get rid of FPTP and give the people are more representative say in politics - they largely stayed at home and didn't vote. Those that did turn out said overwhelmingly to stay with the status quo.

I was watching a politician on the news this morning (can't remember who. Pro remain tory, I think). The words coming out of his mouth sounded right for London bust showed a complete lack of understanding of the national feeling or mood outside London.

Even worse this is nothing new. This Westminster - rest of England disconnect as been bubbling under the surface for years - at least around the time of the Global Economic Crises - that was '08 wasn't it?

It's said but even after Thursday vote the political elite still aren't getting what the people have been trying to tell them. (largely austerity is not working).

I don't think you get it either. An overwhelming majority didn't win. Half (or perhaps even more considering the people that were apathetic) of the population didn't vote for this. And there also aren't millions of upper class toffs in London either.

My home city of Leicester managed a remain win, and they sure as shit aren't elites.

Stop speaking for everyone outside of Westminster. You don't have that right.

A lot of us (remainers and leavers) were unhappy with the general direction the country was going in though. This referendum is going to allow us as a country to have a period of political realignment and reflection on our place in the world and where we want to go next. I think a lot of people have felt that the UK has been on a high speed train, charging ahead without any clear sense about our destination.

We have been acting like a world power when we are not anymore, and we have been spending way beyond our means on keeping up this pretence by funding an oversized military and nuclear deterrent for a start. What is the use of being the 5th richest country in the world if there are whole swathes of the UK population do not reap this benefit.

And what happened with this referendum? Idiotic people charged full steam ahead without a plan, and based on outdated notions of Britain.

Out of curiosity, with the British Pound eating shit how would that bode for people vacationing in London in the coming month(s)? I have a friend that's already booked a trip and she was wondering if any of this would have an impact on her trip.

danowat

Banned
Out of curiosity, with the British Pound eating shit how would that bode for people vacationing in London in the coming month(s)? I have a friend that's already booked a trip and she was wondering if any of this would have an impact on her trip.

Very well if you're coming from the US.

Audioboxer

People coming here will make bank. Brits going on holiday will be shafted.

Could you make it smaller to share it on Twitter directly?

Time to make @NeoGAF go viral. EviLore laughing to the bank.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

it'll be a lot cheaper.

liquidtmd

Banned
Just read the newly appointed Shadow Defence Secretary is due to face questions from 2.30pm in the house of commons but is attendance isn't guaranteed as 'he's on his way back from Glastonbury and traffic is bad' - Sky News

Errrrrrmmmmm yeah

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
On Friday I was told the drop in sterling value was a "shock" and it would "stabilise".

And now I feel stupid for not getting my holiday money sooner, as I watch another .1 drop off the value.

I think there are 2 outcomes available when it comes to 'Will we actually leave the EU':

1- Leave and piss of everyone who voted stay, the EU resulting in crappy terms, leave voters when they realise there is no extra money for the NHS or less immigration.
2- Stay and piss off EU but eventually things will go back to normal since that’s best for everyone, leave voters which could be nasty with some but would be better than the fallout from leaving the EU.

Out of those 2 options I would take the possibility of pissing off leave voters and try to educated them on the realities that leave wouldn’t have actually accomplished what they thought it would. Yeah it could get messy but would surely be better than the alternative.

Plot twist, big Roy will tell the team to chuck it just so that tomorrow's papers and media will stop focusing on the EU ref train wreck.

Roy is the real hero we need. Sterling to play as captain and for 90 minutes.

Kane on corners. Rooney gets subbed for Wilshere before extra time and Hart to take the first penalty in the inevitable shootout.

C'mon woy, it's the only way unify a nation!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just read the newly appointed Shadow Defence Secretary is due to face questions from 2.30pm in the house of commons but is attendance isn't guaranteed as 'he's on his way back from Glastonbury and traffic is bad' - Sky News

Errrrrrmmmmm yeah

we're a joke country.

DiGiKerot

They'll probably make out like a bandit. Too short-term for there to be any significant negative impact on any of her likely vacation plans, and her foreign currency will be worth way, way more.

On the other hand, I'm off to the US in two days, and I'm weeeeeeeeeping.

Auctopus

I think there are 2 outcomes available when it comes to 'Will we actually leave the EU':

2- Stay and piss off EU but eventually things will go back to normal since that’s best for everyone, leave voters which could be nasty with some but would be better than the fallout from leaving the EU.

Out of those 2 options I would take the possibility of pissing off leave voters and try to educated them on the realities that leave wouldn’t have actually accomplished what they thought it would. Yeah it could get messy but would surely be better than the alternative.

Whilst I'd like this to happen, I highly doubt that a certain 'type' of leave voter would take this lying down. There'd definitely be riots.

While I'm mostly just fascinated by the absurdity of it all, I sincerely hope everyone from the UK makes it out of this fine. Most of you don't deserve this.

EDIT: Except for the politicians who gambled away their country's future for political gain. Fuck em

49% of us don't deserve it.

Audioboxer

Kane on corners. Rooney gets subbed for Wilshere before extra time and Hart to take the first penalty in the inevitable shootout.

C'mon woy, it's the only way unify a nation!

Unify us in glorious hate.

A Kane corner swung in to a Sterling bicycle kick gone wrong leading to an Iceland counter attack and a Smalling own goal. Simply marvelous.

They'll probably make out like a bandit. Too short-term for there to be any significant negative impact on any of her likely vacation plans, and her foreign currency will be worth way, way more.

On the other hand, I'm off to the US in two days, and I'm weeeeeeeeeping.

I think she's leaving in a week or two, I can't remember the exact date.

Mr. Sam

What nonsense.

We won't stop spending on the military, nor the renewal of trident. If we were a directionless former world power within the EU, I dread to think what we are outside it. All this has accomplished politically is to oust Cameron and hand the reigns to even more hardcore neoliberals, so yes, I expect widespread redistribution of wealth any day now, and the towns, cities and industries that benefitted from EU funding to now be supported from our government.

avaya

Just finished talking to sell-side, 2 things

1. Consensus, or maybe hope, is that we will not lose access to single market, UK will bend over to keep it. Indicates market is not pricing in loss of this access yet.

2. These people are all Tory voters, solid free-marketeers, pining for a Labour Party to run on a pro-EU platform. Literal mind-fuck.

mid83

I'm visiting London next spring. I'm assuming I should be booking now while the pound is down?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unify us in glorious hate.

A Kane corner swung in to a Sterling bicycle kick gone wrong leading to an Iceland counter attack and a Smalling own goal. Simply marvelous.

A Brexit deserves a Brexit. The law of equivalent exchange must stand.

cormack12

Gold Member
So my question is what is the overall housing issue in the UK? Is it that housing is too expensive even in the North? Is there not enough housing? How does that play into the decision for people to vote leave?

It's very complex. Housing is too expensive anywhere, which means properties are bought up for rentals. For some reason, being a homeowner is a massive goal for British people. I don't consider it as important as it's made out to be, people can rent for life. It just provides a bit of security and an asset to pass down I guess.

Births are higher than deaths, which means demand is obviously rising and we breached the point of proactive investment a while back, so we now have a very reactive approach, shoehorning housing projects into private infrastructure projects. which usually benefits the baby boomers.

Banks are asking for massive deposits, which is pricing younger people out of being first time buyer, which floats the rental market even more. The government tried to introduce schemes to help first time buyers, but it's too little too late imo.

Add to this, the centralisation of housing around major cities complemented by legislation that protects the countryside, makes living outside major areas a obstacle for everyday commutes, especially when taking into consideration the strain already on the main infrastructure like trains and highways.

Yeah I'm trapped in that situation where the rent I'm paying is making saving for a deposit much harder :/

You know what the really fucked up thing is? I managed to save up a 15k deposit. I went to the bank and asked about what kind of mortgage I could get and he told me that based on my income he could only lend me money for a house up to 100k max. Where I live (south east) that's impossible.

I pointed out that I currently spend £750 a month on rent, have never missed a single payment in all the years I've been renting, have been able to save up a deposit at the same time, and even though monthly mortgage repayments would be significantly LESS than my rent costs right now, I'm somehow still not considered eligible? He was really apologetic about it, but explained that sadly the market doesn't work that way.

It's not all bad for me right now. I've moved in with my girlfriend of one and a half years instead and we're continuing to save, knowing that with a combined income we'll be able to get a better deal. That all hinges on this relationship staying together though, and considering I thought my last one was amazing until she cheated on me after 5 years, I'm finding trust hard to find when it involves gambling a mortgage on. There's also the kicker that I've lost my job if we leave the EU and my environmental-focused education will be worth nothing, so there goes the income...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom