• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

danowat

Banned
I'm visiting London next spring. I'm assuming I should be booking now while the pound is down?

It's a bit crystal ball at the moment, no one knows how far, or how long, the rate will be depressed, so you could take a punt on it now, but there is no guarantee that it won't go lower.

Vagabundo

lol ouch:

4. Points out that negotiations under Article 50 TEU concerning the UK’s withdrawal
from the EU must begin as soon as formal notification has been communicated;
5. Warns that in order to prevent damaging uncertainty for everyone and to protect the
Union’s integrity, the notification stipulated in Article 50 TEU must take place
immediately; consequently asks the UK Prime Minister to notify the outcome of the
referendum to the European Council of 28-29 June; this notification will launch the
withdrawal procedure;

7. Recalls that any new relationship between the UK and the EU may not be agreed before
the conclusion of the withdrawal agreement;
8. Recalls that the consent of the European Parliament is required under the Treaties, and
that it must be fully involved at all stages of the various procedures concerning the
withdrawal agreement and any future relationship;

13. Will enact changes in its internal organisation to reflect the will of the citizens of the
United Kingdom to withdraw from the European Union;

14. Calls on the President of the Commission to reallocate the portfolio of the UK
Commissioner with immediate effect;

If Cameron mentions anything about the referendum at the council meeting they will evoke Article 50. Is it televised? Because there will be some dodging. Cameron pleading the 5th everytime someone asks him a question about the referendum.

Bobnob

"A sense of adventure" is great reasoning as long as it's only your own money/time/health you are gambling with
Health? Have you seen the state of the health service, my local gp relays between two parts of my town,it takes almost two weeks to get a appointment.

My kid struggled to get a place at the local "academy" the kid upstairs didn't get a place and now as to make a bus journey.

The family upstairs 2 working adults, 4 kids all in a crammed two bedroom flat,the council have refused to rehouse them.

Yes these issues maybe down to our government being arseholes so what should we do ?allow bad migration to carry on (the numbers are only going one way folks) all the while our government continues to be a mess with no investment communitys in taking money from the most effected poor.

Open boarders are becoming a problem right across the EU and it is giving rise to the far right everywhere.

liquidtmd

Banned
lol ouch:

If Cameron mentions anything about the referendum at the council meeting they will evoke Article 50. Is it televised? Because there will be some dodging. Cameron pleading the 5th everytime someone asks him a question about the referendum.

'Mr Cameron - can you confirm the result of the Referendum on Thursday and thereby confirm your intent to leave the EU'?

giphy.gif

Chinner

Banned
Health? Have you seen the state of the health service, my local gp relays between two parts of my town,it takes almost two weeks to get a appointment.

My kid struggled to get a place at the local "academy" the kid upstairs didn't get a place and now as to make a bus journey.

The family upstairs 2 working adults, 4 kids all in a crammed two bedroom flat,the council have refused to rehouse them.

Yes these issues maybe down to our government being arseholes so what should we do ?allow bad migration to carry on (the numbers are only going one way folks) all the while our government continues to be a mess with no investment communitys in taking money from the most effected poor.

Open boarders are becoming a problem right across the EU and it is giving rise to the far right everywhere.
How do you feel about Bojo stating that current migrants are welcome to stay? These problems are not going to disappear.

Do you have any expectation for government to build more services?

mid83

Just finished talking to sell-side, 2 things

1. Consensus, or maybe hope, is that we will not lose access to single market, UK will bend over to keep it. Indicates market is not pricing in loss of this access yet.

2. These people are all Tory voters, solid free-marketeers, pining for a Labour Party to run on a pro-EU platform. Literal mind-fuck.

Honestly at some point country comes before politics/ideology.

Crumpo

All domestic infrastructure problems. Nothing to do with the EU

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes these issues maybe down to our government being arseholes so what should we do ?

You could vote for a different party in the general election instead of unleashing your frustrations in a referendum on the EU that has sent our economy into a panicked meltdown.

TheChamp

Im not actually sure leave would actually win again it was more a lets make this close against the establishment (leave was never ment to win)

Theres no plan at all, half the points announced by the leave team have already been pointed out as lies, the union is tearing itself apart, the pound is falling like a stone faster than Aston Villa dropped liked a stone

Your typical leave voter probably has what they wanted Cameron gone, turmoil in the political system with both Conservatives and Labour ripping themselves apart

Its time the whole result was just annuled sure it might be political suicide for your party in the short point but its whats best for this country no one was informed correctly

PJV3

The crisis in health is an aging population with dementia and other age related problems, an obese nation with all those related problems.

Just read the newly appointed Shadow Defence Secretary is due to face questions from 2.30pm in the house of commons but is attendance isn't guaranteed as 'he's on his way back from Glastonbury and traffic is bad' - Sky News

Errrrrrmmmmm yeah

Oh god I love this so much. Immediately reminds me of going to school for an exam being dropped off by mom and hoping against hope that we get delayed somehow so I end up missing it.

Maybe stop for food?

What nonsense.

We won't stop spending on the military, nor the renewal of trident. If we were a directionless former world power within the EU, I dread to think what we are outside it. All this has accomplished politically is to oust Cameron and hand the reigns to even more hardcore neoliberals, so yes, I expect widespread redistribution of wealth any day now, and the towns, cities and industries that benefitted from EU funding to now be supported from our government.
You are missing the bigger picture. This is just the start of the process. I do not actually believe we will secede entirely from the EU. But it will give us the opportunity to talk about what went wrong. Let us not forget that the country is split right down the middle on this. Why is it that the United Kingdom has become so divided?

As for our new place in the world, I envision becoming Scandinavian in our approach. Focusing more on soft diplomacy rather than getting embroiled in expensive foreign wars. Yes it would mean becoming more insular, but perhaps that is what we need for a while.

Leaving EU won't send the immigrants home and if we want access to the single market, which we NEED, then we have to agree to free movement of people anyway.

Voting Leave hasn't done anything for the issues you are talking about, if anything it's made it worse as now the government wont have the money to build houses, schools, etc.. for years to come.

Vote a different cocking government in to deal with it, don't vote on immigration as it's not the problem, and don't vote to leave the EU and tank the economy, despite being warned, because now there's no fucking money to invest!

Mr. Sam

You are missing the bigger picture. This is just the start of the process. I do not actually believe we will secede entirely from the EU. But it will give us the opportunity to talk about what went wrong. Let us not forget that the country is split right down the middle on this. Why is it that the United Kingdom has become so divided?

As for our new place in the world, I envision becoming Scandinavian in our approach. Focusing more on soft diplomacy rather than getting embroiled in expensive foreign wars. Yes it would mean becoming more insular, but perhaps that is what we need for a while.

This is inane. This is conjecture. You're projecting a future for which you have no evidence while the country is just three days after the referendum experiencing real world consequences.

Alx

Nah apparently the article 50 can only be triggered by an explicit demand of UK, with the clear intent of triggering it. It can't be done by accident.
Although the repeated mention of "the will of the British people" may justify EU putting pressure on Cameron to come clear about his intent, in order to respect democratic values among its members.

Even if there's no plan at the moment, I think UK should at least present a predictive timeline, like "we will trigger article 50 before the end of the year" or "in 2017" or whatever. Even if they decide to change that later, but any information is better than the uncertainty we're experiencing right now.

avaya

Where do you live and who do you vote for. If your area voted conservative you will get fuck all sympathy. From anyone.

In what way, exactly, did you think that voting out of the EU was going to address these issues?

Ovek

7Member7
Vote a different cocking government in to deal with it, don't vote on immigration as it's not the problem, and don't vote to leave the EU and tank the economy, despite being warned, because now there's no fucking money to invest!

Oh but all the economic doom and gloom was nothing but "fear mongering".

Bobnob

How do you feel about Bojo stating that current migrants are welcome to stay? These problems are not going to disappear.

Do you have any expectation for government to build more services?
I hate the fact that bojo may become PM firstly,but I knew that would probably happen.I believe open boarders is becoming a EU wide problem,somthing that will be spoke about once the current shit storm ends.

Cromwell

Banned
lol ouch:

Dodgy Dave, indeed.

image_update_img.jpg

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
General Election 2010:
2000px-2010UKElectionMap.svg.png

General Election 2015:
1798-ma4fy2.png

EU Referendum 2016:
1466751398-20742ed3c910b725b6e4868d3cf8cece-1366x2209.jpg

I can sympathise with the anti-establishment sentiment behind Brexit to an extent, but the crossover between blue regions and leave regions makes it very hard for me to feel anything other than "you made your bed".

I don't think you get it either. An overwhelming majority didn't win. Half (or perhaps even more considering the people that were apathetic) of the population didn't vote for this. And there also aren't millions of upper class toffs in London either.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you get it. I'm not trying to talk for everyone in the England - far from it. I'm not suggesting that everyone outside London voted for bigatory reasons, or that everyone in London is a toff - that's just plain absurd.

I'm just explaining the basic political undercurrent that has fueled the result. If you don't understand how we got in this mess, then I'm sorry. Personally I'm thankful that places like Leicester exist in this country.

That said UKIP have been on the rise in the shires since around '08 time and the political classes at Westminster doesn't understand what the mood is outside of the the (Westminster) village. Just read some of Tak3n's posts and it's there plain to see.

Sorry, I might not agree with it - but this is a broken country.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Watching Liam Fox on Daily Politics - and he looks broken. This is supposed to be someone who won?
Why would he be happy? He'll go down in the history books as one of a group of people who tore the UK apart because he hoped it would be good for his career.

I don't think you get it either. An overwhelming majority didn't win. Half (or perhaps even more considering the people that were apathetic) of the population didn't vote for this. And there also aren't millions of upper class toffs in London either.

My home city of Leicester managed a remain win, and they sure as shit aren't elites.

Stop speaking for everyone outside of Westminster. You don't have that right.

I'm getting a bit tired of the London vs. thick Northerners narrative.
It's the cities in every region that generally voted to stay.
Looking at the election map, remain includes:
London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds, York, Leicester, Norwich, Cardiff, Exeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom