• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad how this whole situation makes for some great comedy. This is all so absurd, ironic, idiotic, ...

I'm laughing my ass off reading this thread and other media about the Brexit. It's a nervous laugh though, and I'm grinding my teeth while doing it.

AHA-Lambda

Oh please, the hyperbolic hysteria is getting ridiculous now. Calm down. Yes we are in uncharted waters, but whatever happened to our sense of adventure?

giphy.gif

Hey British GAF, BBC is reporting Nationalistic and xenophobic backlash over brexit vote, are you guys seeing this first hand? Is this just media hype?
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36634786

Fucking hell, that first image is from Glasgow of all places O_O

Vagabundo

Nah apparently the article 50 can only be triggered by an explicit demand of UK, with the clear intent of triggering it. It can't be done by accident.
Although the repeated mention of "the will of the British people" may justify EU putting pressure on Cameron to come clear about his intent, in order to respect democratic values among its members.

Even if there's no plan at the moment, I think UK should at least present a predictive timeline, like "we will trigger article 50 before the end of the year" or "in 2017" or whatever. Even if they decide to change that later, but any information is better than the uncertainty we're experiencing right now.

Read the EU parliament thing quoted above. They have setout what that means. Just informing the council of the result is enough to trigger it. If that would hold up in the Ue court of justice I don't know.

So Cameron will have to stay mum on the referendum during the meeting and it will be on the agenda:

"Let's start with point 1 on the agendea: Brexit. David, do you have anything to say on this matter?Could you tell us the results of the referendum"

"errr..."

Nah apparently the article 50 can only be triggered by an explicit demand of UK, with the clear intent of triggering it. It can't be done by accident.
Although the repeated mention of "the will of the British people" may justify EU putting pressure on Cameron to come clear about his intent, in order to respect democratic values among its members.

Even if there's no plan at the moment, I think UK should at least present a predictive timeline, like "we will trigger article 50 before the end of the year" or "in 2017" or whatever. Even if they decide to change that later, but any information is better than the uncertainty we're experiencing right now.

It's not black magic, just a question: "Mr. Cameron, the UK people have voted to leave the EU. Does the UK government intend to fulfil this mandate?"

If yes, article 50 invoked.

If no, racists rioting in the streets of England.

nOoblet16

DA POUND:

maUCWpp.gif

TAKE US TO POUND TOWN
Where are the people who said it was just initial shock and knee jerk reaction it's already going back up since it closed higher than ever? Lolol

Did they forget that it was the weekend and nothing happened for those two days?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not black magic, just a question: "Mr. Cameron, the UK people have voted to leave the EU. Does the UK government intend to fulfil this mandate?"

That's not how article 50 is invoked. It requires constitutional assent, which for the UK implies an Act of Parliament.

Hasney

Hey British GAF, BBC is reporting Nationalistic and xenophobic backlash over brexit vote, are you guys seeing this first hand? Is this just media hype?

I had an Indian taxi driver rant to me about how the Romanians would need to go back home now and didn't like it when I argued back.

The English Defence League and Britain First have held demonstrations around the country because they think they're now supported by the British people, so it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, I have seen little evidence that this referendum as affected daily life in my area (Norwich) at all. A few people turned up to work on Friday in tears, but otherwise things have just been going back to normal.

As someone who is mixed race and 'brown' in complexion, I have not experienced any nationalistic or xenophobic backlack myself. Nor does my colleague from Slovakia seem to be particularly bothered or worried about the results.

Xando

Read the EU parliament thing quoted above. They have setout what that means. Just informing the council of the result is enough to trigger it. If that would hold up in the Ue court of justice I don't know.

So Cameron will have to stay mum on the referendum during the meeting and it will be on the agenda:

"Let's start with point 1 on the agendea: Brexit. David, do you have anything to say on this matter?Could you tell us the results of the referendum"

"errr..."

Imagine him triggering Art. 50 by accident

Maledict

Yep, and there's nothing he can do about it. If the away starts the process the only option is to challenge it in the courts - hostile courts at that. Even if we won, that would take time and we couldn't proceed on the basis that we would win. Supposing we didn't, and then we just dropped out back to WTO status and no access to the single market?

We hold literally none of the cards. And the EU is playing chess.

This is inane. This is conjecture. You're projecting a future for which you have no evidence while the country is just three days after the referendum experiencing real world consequences.
Thing is, voting for remain was voting for the status quo and a majority have chosen not to remain with the status quo.

Engell

EUR per 1 GBP
26 Jun 2016 11:10 UTC - 27 Jun 2016 11:15 UTC
GBP/EUR close:1.19972 low:1.19915 high:1.23047

USD per 1 GBP
26 Jun 2016 11:10 UTC - 27 Jun 2016 11:12 UTC
GBP/USD close:1.32070 low:1.32058 high:1.36804

jelly

I'm hoping behind the scenes they all have a plan to back out.

Merkel saying no discussions until we initiate article 50 makes me think she is giving the UK a chance and everything said from now is being staged carefully bit by bit to reverse course completely and hopefully not look like complete idiots but that ship has sailed. I feel there is some wise heads around who know we've fucked up big time and won't let it pass but they are just trying to save some sort of face and communicate how fucked we would be if we left and why it's the best thing to stay.

nOoblet16

I can sympathise with the anti-establishment sentiment behind Brexit to an extent, but the crossover between blue regions and leave regions makes it very hard for me to feel anything other than "you made your bed".
The irony being the conservatives won the election by talking about "restoring the economy" and in turn they will make it worse than it has been in decades.

The other irony being remain camp talked about economy and how leaving would have negative consequences but they got ignored.

Crumpo

Thing is, voting for remain was voting for the status quo and a majority have chosen not to remain with the status quo.

Not quite. We were asked to vote about the state of the buses and people voted against them because they lost one of their shoes.

The "Status quo" people had a problem with was not the EU.

Hasney

Which is fine, as long as those in the poorer regions know that this will lead to 5 years of even less funding in their infrastructures and both in-work and out of work benefits. They might not like the status quo, but if they thought that things couldn't get any worse, they were wrong.

I do agree that maybe we could get back to where we were at some point, but I think there's a minimum of 5 years of hurting before we get to that stage and for many people, that might be too late.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Article 50 gets invoked with declaration of intent. Plenty of wiggle room for wrathful bureaucrats.

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

Referendums are not legally binding in the United Kingdom; only the Queen-in-Parliament. Until the House of Commons passes an Act of Parliament triggering Article 50, we have not decided to leave by the constitutional requirements of the United Kingdom. The EU might try arguing otherwise, but I don't think they have a case.

The irony being the conservatives won the election by talking about "restoring the economy" and in turn they will make it worse than it has been in decades.

The other irony being remain camp talked about economy and how leaving would have negative consequences but they got ignored.

I'm always on the wrong side of history.

2015 GE: 'We can make a better world, the Tories are savaging public spending, we can fix things and make it all better! Tra la la!'

Lose.

2016 Ref: 'Careful now, stability is more important than drastic change, reform not revolution.'

Lose.

:(

Hasney

Referendums are not legally binding in the United Kingdom; only the Queen-in-Parliament. Until the House of Commons passes an Act of Parliament triggering Article 50, we have not decided to leave by the constitutional requirements of the United Kingdom. The EU might try arguing otherwise, but I don't think they have a case.

True, but I don't think we'll be any better prolonging this via the courts if they decide to try and invoke it anyway.

Spladam

Honestly, I have seen little evidence that this referendum as affected daily life in my area (Norwich) at all. A few people turned up to work on Friday in tears, but otherwise things have just been going back to normal.

As someone who is mixed race and 'brown' in complexion, I have not experienced any nationalistic or xenophobic backlack myself. Nor does my colleague from Slovakia seem to be particularly bothered or worried about the results.
Well, this was good to hear.
The world is in some trouble right now, I remember thinking when the Syrian refugee crisis began and that reporter chick tripped that father and kicked that girl, "This shit looks like the set up to WWIII", like how the history books point to that moment where the dominoes started to fall into place.

mid83

What are some good UK news/politics/economics podcasts I I can subscribe to? I have an hour commute each day so listening to podcasts really helps make the drive go by faster. I found some BBC podcasts (BBC Newshour, BBC Global News Podcast) but I'm wondering if there are any others you guys recommend.

I want to be stay up to date on this since American media is either ignoring or blowing off the impact of this vote.

You guys already gave me some great news sites to follow (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph) to follow, but I'm hoping to supplement with some podcasts too.

Acorn

You are missing the bigger picture. This is just the start of the process. I do not actually believe we will secede entirely from the EU. But it will give us the opportunity to talk about what went wrong. Let us not forget that the country is split right down the middle on this. Why is it that the United Kingdom has become so divided?

As for our new place in the world, I envision becoming Scandinavian in our approach. Focusing more on soft diplomacy rather than getting embroiled in expensive foreign wars. Yes it would mean becoming more insular, but perhaps that is what we need for a while.
You're fucking high on some powerful stuff.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

To be fair, despite being predominantly white, Norwich is kind of a left wing slay for the most part.

Not quite. We were asked to vote about the state of the buses and people voted against them because they lost one of their shoes.

The "Status quo" people had a problem with was not the EU.
Yes, you are right and unfortunately, it seems it had to take something big like this to make Westminster stand up and take stock. Even if we stay with the EU, things will not be the same and that is good. We were in a situation where an elected representative was shot dead by her constituent. The status quo wasn't working anymore.

Chinner

Banned
Plz save us

Peter Altmaier, who runs Merkel’s chancellory and is seen as her strongest ally in the German government, said:

Should we just be saying: we’re sad that the referendum has ended this way, but now you have to go? I am not sure that would be the right step. Because at this referendum something has happened that I never imagined.

On one hand, the sad result is that 52% said they wanted to leave. But on the other hand – and that’s something that I as a European find deeply moving – even in this country that we often thought of as deeply eurosceptic and not truly European, there has been an incredible turning towards Europe by millions of people ... As a European, I feel a responsibility towards those people.

Addnan

What are some good UK news/politics/economics podcasts I I can subscribe to? I have an hour commute each day so listening to podcasts really helps make the drive go by faster. I found some BBC podcasts (BBC Newshour, BBC Global News Podcast) but I'm wondering if there are any others you guys recommend.

I want to be stay up to date on this since American media is either ignoring or blowing off the impact of this vote.

You guys already gave me some great news sites to follow (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph) to follow, but I'm hoping to supplement with some podcasts too.

The Guardian politics weekly is decent.

Makabe

The GBP will continue lower until a decision is made about how Brexit will be managed going forward. If we triggered article 50 today you'd likely see it stabilise somewhat. Waiting until October will tank it.

Well yes, the UK can start fighting the EU over the thing they put in motion themselves. It'll give you some time at the price of burning all bridges.

Somehow, if fits Britain so well, as a country in which the king was constantly putting down peasant revolts while the lords were feuding with one another undermining the king and trying to seize the crown for themselves.

Maybe those who voted leave just wanted more Game of Throne.

Audioboxer

The GBP will continue lower until a decision is made about how Brexit will be managed going forward. If we triggered article 50 today you'd likely see it stabilise somewhat. Waiting until October will tank it.

Which is why Cameron should have resigned instantly, the slimy fucker.

To be fair, despite being predominantly white, Norwich is kind of a left wing slay for the most part.
I concur, I wouldn't fancy my chances in Great Yarmouth. But I don't think most people who express racist views are actually genuinely racist. They are mainly economically deprived folks who are angry with no outlet to express their frustration at their poor life chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom