• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly two-thirds (64%) of IoD members think the result is negative for their business, against 23% who think it is positive (only 9% say it makes no difference)
A third (32%) say hiring will continue at the same pace, but a quarter (24%) will put a freeze on recruitment, and 5% will make redundancies
1 in 5 (22%) are considering moving some of their operations outside of the UK; only 1% say they will bring operations back
IoD Director General says: “we will not lose our faith in the ability of British firms to overcome these obstacles“
http://www.iod.com/influencing/press-office/press-releases/first-signs-brexit-will-hit-jobs

Auctopus

For the aggressive/racist Leave voters, it will take BJ, Gove and other key Leave players to come forward and admit that they were wrong/possibly lied to not have riots on their hands when/if we don't leave in the end.

nOoblet16

Not sure if posted - this thread is moving quite fast.

Brexit loophole? MPs must still vote in order for Britain to leave the EU, top lawyers say

Wiki for Geoffrey Robertston QC.
Ofcourse, it's what representative democracy is and that's why a referendum is not legally binding but only advisory, because the parliament has to still pass it. People won't understand this though as they will think they voted and not going with it is against democracy.

But the question is who will vote against their own constituency and commit political suicide ? Considering the votes are made public and everyone gets to know who voted what the people will be out with pitchforks when they Mir beloved Tab posts an article about how their NO voted against their people's will.

Zelias

Banned
Health? Have you seen the state of the health service, my local gp relays between two parts of my town,it takes almost two weeks to get a appointment.

My kid struggled to get a place at the local "academy" the kid upstairs didn't get a place and now as to make a bus journey.

The family upstairs 2 working adults, 4 kids all in a crammed two bedroom flat,the council have refused to rehouse them.

Yes these issues maybe down to our government being arseholes so what should we do ?allow bad migration to carry on (the numbers are only going one way folks) all the while our government continues to be a mess with no investment communitys in taking money from the most effected poor.

Open boarders are becoming a problem right across the EU and it is giving rise to the far right everywhere.
If you think leaving the EU will solve the problems you describe, I fear you're in for a nasty shock.

They don't activate it. That is not how this works. The best they can do is say "you activated this through the referendum". Our response would be "fuck off no lol", and things would really hit the shitter because there would be a total breakdown in negotiation. That is really not in the EUs interests - they want a quick break, but most of all they want a clean break lacking in instability.

The wait favors Scottish independence. They'll be able to negotiate the UK leaving while Scotland remains instead of having to do one after the other.

Also, the EU can dictate the future terms without having to wait for the UK to join the table.
That will stabilizes the EU market and large companies will start moving jobs out.

guit3457

You guys talk about banks but there are so many companies suffering right now. IAG, the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Aerr Lingus, Vueling is down almost 40% since Brexit.

danowat

Banned
People on Radio 2 calling for Farage to lead the country, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

I tell you what, if we have a GE, I have a feeling that UKIP might actually get in.........

Xando

You guys talk about banks but there are so many companies suffering right now. IAG, the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Aerr Lingus, Vueling is down almost 40% since Brexit.

The problem is that if bigger Banks like RBS or Barclay tank = the whole economy tanks

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The british government themselves saw the outcome of that referendum as legally binding. At least that was four months ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

"Democratic duty" is not legally binding, especially if the Government that made that guarantee is replaced. Which is now basically a certainty.

Frankfurter said:
This is NOT what this is about. The EU is only trying to argue like that, because the UK said that it's gonna accept whatever the result of the referendum is.

Actually I think its more a case of the EU leadership feeling cornered by their own constitutional laws. They can rattle their sabres as much as they like, but there is no way for them to forcibly trigger article 50 (the only legal instrument for seceding from the EU). Like I said, its a pissing-contest.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

1FPUDjq.gif

jelly

People on Radio 2 calling for Farage to lead the country, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

I tell you what, if we have a GE, I have a feeling that UKIP might actually get in.........

I dunno. They got loads of votes last time but hardly any seats. Don't see that changing much. I think much of it depends on parties not ignoring the issues in these areas and communicate it properly so we don't just have life still sucks and immigrants, Tories screwed us, lets all vote UKIP. I seriously doubt old Tory voters will jump to that party.

Hasney

Could we do an "Iceland" and come out of economic calamity in a better state?

Unlikely. They did that by continuing to invest in the country while sorting it out and got those big companies that owed tax to pay it, while increasing tax in general. Unless we have a massive change in government it's not happening.

Xando

Perhaps the UK will indeed stonewall the EU's questions about article 50, in order to create a deadlock and avoid leaving. In that case I expect the EU and indeed the market to start moving everything important out of the UK.

danowat

Banned
People would be better off to stop comparing us to countries like Iceland and Norway which are vastly different to us in terms of population, infrastructure and trading.

So then, compare us to who?

We are in uncharted waters, it's not unknown to try and look to other parties to try and make sense of the whole mess.

The more I think about the referendum, the more it feels like this was supposed to end as one of those "and against all odds, sanity and common sense won !"-stories.

Like, for example, how the kuban crisis didn't end in total nuclear destruction, because surely nobody would be this stupid. You know what I mean.

Except this time common sense and sanity lost.

I was angry the last couple of days, but I genuinely feel for the 48% who have to suffer because their fellow countrymen and women were just too dumb to understand what they were voting for.

Apparently a Spanish resturant in Honor Oak got bricked overnight.

Could always be something else but given the current climate. I mean it's a spanish resturant. It's not like they stole anyone's jobs, they created some >_>

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
The british government themselves saw the outcome of that referendum as legally binding. At least that was four months ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

Strictly speaking, whether they considered it binding or not doesn't matter. Parliament specifically did not include a provision to make the result of this referendum legally binding. In contrast to this, the AV referendum in 2011 DID include such a provision.

Now that's not to say I think that the Government will not treat the referendum as binding, but to claim that it is would be misleading.

Boeing has just confirmed London as its new Headquarters. Expect market fluctuations, including large ones everytime a politician opens their mouth over the next few weeks.

Pixieking

Banned
If that's the case and Labour, SNP and Lib Dems voted against the repeal you would still need 34 Tories to vote against it. Oh. Make that 35. Corbyn would vote for it.

Heh... I get the feeling "Did you vote Leave?" Could be the UK's "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?"

(Okay, slight exaggeration, but still...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom