• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Both sides made stupid lies that were dropped instantly and never repeated. Remain made vague claims about WW3 (where most of "project fear" was aimed) and instantly dropped them. Leave made vague claims about the EU essentially being modern Nazis, then instantly dropped the idea.

The key here is that while all the warnings about economic collapse the Remain side made are proving to be true, the Leave campaign's key messages are being proved to be lies. Including their main campaign message that they emblazoned on the side of a bus. I hope you can see what a colossal difference that is.
No...absolute bollocks.
This has been bought up 10s of time in here with no source. No one said that.

Don't link a tab article.

I dont know if anyone's mentioned but UK is pretty much dead no matter what deal it thinks it can strike.

The Two years after handing in article 50 isnt the deadline to strike a new deal its the deadline to figure out how to separate. It's going to take at least two years to figure out where all the ends are and where and what to cut. What happens to all the people and the business and everything that already exist. We're so connected into Europe it's going to be so difficult figuring all this out no one is going to have any time to figure out a new deal.

But even if they did have time thats not how it works. Europe has stated thats not how it works. You leave then you work out the new deal which will take at least ten years to sort out.

So two years on life support, then everything starts to decay, science, financial district, immigration, exports, they all decline, massive depression, massive loss in gdp and tax receipts. The UK has been the architect of its own demise everyone suffers and the UK becomes insignificant in the rest of the world, well done.

Seems a bit too positive to me.

Jobbs

Banned
The odd position of living in America and watching as the UK embarasses itself horribly on the national stage

Now you know what it's like!

Which ones, out of interest? Don't say World War 3, because that was tabloid newspaper spin, and not actually what Cameron said.

"Whenever we turn our back on Europe, sooner or later we come to regret it. We have always had to go back in, and always at much higher cost," he will say.

"The serried rows of white headstones in lovingly tended Commonwealth war cemeteries stand as silent testament to the price this country has paid to help restore peace and order in Europe.

"Can we be so sure that peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking? I would never be so rash as to make that assumption."

It's certainly a warning, but it's equally far from 'armageddon on day 1 if we vote leave'.

I'd say, actually, that warnings are sensible things to pay attention to ERROR ERROR BRITAIN IS GREAT FLY THE FLAG STAND ALONE

Rodelero

UK Votes to Leave the EU IOT2I We should have used pen

Do you remember that bit, where we were all amused at how ridiculously paranoid some Leave voters were? Those were the days.

I dont know if anyone's mentioned but UK is pretty much dead no matter what deal it thinks it can strike.

The Two years after handing in article 50 isnt the deadline to strike a new deal its the deadline to figure out how to separate. It's going to take at least two years to figure out where all the ends are and where and what to cut. What happens to all the people and the business and everything that already exist. We're so connected into Europe it's going to be so difficult figuring all this out no one is going to have any time to figure out a new deal.

But even if they did have time thats not how it works. Europe has stated thats not how it works. You leave then you work out the new deal which will take at least ten years to sort out.

So two years on life support, then everything starts to decay, science, financial district, immigration, exports, they all decline, massive depression, massive loss in gdp and tax receipts. The UK has been the architect of its own demise everyone suffers and the UK becomes insignificant in the rest of the world, well done.
Yes. I think we know that.

The one thing that terrifies me about the thought of us not going ahead with Brexit/Article 50 at this point is how the extreme right will react. I can genuinely see them rioting and carrying out their own sense of 'justice' on immigrants.

I don't know what the answer is but that thought alone really, really scares me.

scarybore

Still 84 years to go, but I can't imagine this referendum not being the stupidest decision/moment of this century, it's a fucking embarrassment on multiple levels.

UK Votes to Leave the EU IOT2I The Farage Cometh

UK Votes to Leave the EU IOT2I I'm Sorry, EU, I'm Just Not That Into You/EU

UK Votes to Leave the EU IOT2I What's the Worst that could happen?

liquidtmd

Banned
The one thing that terrifies me about the thought of us not going ahead with Brexit/Article 50 at this point is how the extreme right will react. I can genuinely see them rioting and carrying out their own sense of 'justice' on immigrants.

I don't know what the answer is but that thought alone really, really scares me.

That scares me less than the alternative and I do not say that lightly. Ultimately if we leave I foresee riots regardless when people realise there is no money

Both sides made stupid lies that were dropped instantly and never repeated. Remain made vague claims about WW3 (where most of "project fear" was aimed) and instantly dropped them. Leave made vague claims about the EU essentially being modern Nazis, then instantly dropped the idea.

The key here is that while all the warnings about economic collapse the Remain side made are proving to be true, the Leave campaign's key messages are being proved to be lies. Including their main campaign message that they emblazoned on the side of a bus. I hope you can see what a colossal difference that is.

There were no "vague" claims.

They were as crystal clear as they could possibly be, it didn't gain the nickname "Project Fear" for no reason.

Even the the business secretary was shying away from the claims he made (Javid)

Bloody lefties, having opinions.

False equivalency meme must die. Let's compare the tabloids of 20+ years to Remain's campaign, shall we? Fucking tower of lies built on an entire desert of bile.

Still going on with the hyperbole against leave voters?

So to harp on article 50 even more, do you guys realise that stalling on it means a) stonewalling the EU and b) Parliament never voting on the referendum.

It's basically the same as leaving both internal and foreign policies untended.

Audioboxer

For any English-GAF (or European/Amercian) now having Sturgeon thrust into their viewpoint, this half hour documentary on her from last year is great. Grew up in a working class/council estate family, not born into millions like our London elites.

'The Most Dangerous Woman in Britain'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRIGvFbuQpw

Can't find a better quality link on YT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom