• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny Murphy has said we'd win, so if we do, I'd like him to become PM and lead us through this.

giphy.gif

fuck it, can't be any worse

Fritz

I keep wondering how I'd vote if I was an mp. Is the people's vote paramount even if I believe it to be disastrous for the people that have voted? I'd probably dismiss the referendum on the basis of misinformation. I mean leave campaigners back paddling on the £350 alone is probably reason enough.

jelly

Do you guys think leave would win another referendum if held tomorrow? Now that they've had a taste of the disastrous consequences?

Probably as everyone is more engaged, young especially with it now and maybe some will swing the other way but honestly fuck having another referendum, too risky. Nip this mess in the bud and go back to normal.

I think things are going to go tits up now, just enough for the public to see it and the government will do the right thing and not follow through with article 50. We can all relax and watch the parties destroy themselves and change then hopefully some good comes out of that and we get back to helping the UK prosper and particularly focus on the areas who feel ignored. We might get something good out of this mess by nearly falling off a cliff, guess that's what it takes sometimes.

nOoblet16

So here's another ironical situation (seems to be having a lot these days but the English love their irony anyway).

The Leavers are insisting we go forward and going against would be against democracy, but the current system of representative democracy means no one other than the MPs have the power to pass something...and as such they have to vote on this advisory referendum. If the vote turns out to be in favour of remain then what do the Leavers say? That it isn't democratic when that is exactly how representative democracy, i.e. the system the have accepted, works.

Ofcourse any MP voting against their constituency would be commuting political suicide, unless if it's a swing vote where the results were really close.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I keep wondering how I'd vote if I was an mp. Is the people's vote paramount even if I believe it to be disastrous for the people that have voted? I'd probably dismiss the referendum on the basis of misinformation. I mean leave campaigners back paddling on the £350 alone is probably reason enough.

I'd not vote for an Article 50. If you disagree with me, vote me out, but this wouldn't be on my head.

So here's another ironical situation (seems to be having a lot these days but the English love their irony anyway).

The Leavers are insisting we go forward and going against would be against democracy, but the current system of representative democracy means no one other than the MPs have the power to pass something...and as such they have to vote on this advisory referendum. If the vote turns out to be in favour of remain then what do the Leavers say? That it isn't democratic when that is exactly how representative democracy, i.e. the system the have accepted, works.

Ofcourse any MP voting against their constituency would be commuting political suicide, unless if it's a swing vote where the results were really close.

Well to be fair some leavers, prophetically/ironically celebrated with Union Jack Flags, the very Union the vote may well shatter.

Not sure complete forward thinking was in some of their minds. My constituency of Epsom & Ewell voted to stay so I can take some solace in that. However our MP is Chris Grayling so lol fuck.

hohoXD123

So all hope rests on MPs to go against their own self-interests for the perceived benefit of the population....

That's not happening.

theaface

MPs should act in the best interests of their constituents at all times. Even if that means making unpopular decisions. I value democracy as much as anyone, but on a referendum swung on lies and hate, can you really say that the decision is the right one that reflects the will of the people? How far does the country have to fall before "well, we still have our democracy" isn't a good enough excuse?

I'd compare it to freedom of speech. A fundamental human right, to be sure. But it has its limitations (e.g. incitement of racial hatred). Freedom of speech is a GOOD thing, but can be abused. Same goes with democracy.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Channel 4 News say Cameron will today rule out a second referendum when he addresses MPs. He's really prepping the biggest pile of shit he can muster, ready to drop it on Boris.

Daffy Duck

Probably as everyone is more engaged, young especially with it now and maybe some will swing the other way but honestly fuck having another referendum, too risky. Nip this mess in the bud and go back to normal.

I think things are going to go tits up now, just enough for the public to see it and the government will do the right thing and not follow through with article 50. We can all relax and watch the parties destroy themselves and change then hopefully some good comes out of that and we get back to helping the UK prosper and particularly focus on the areas who feel ignored. We might get something good out of this mess by nearly falling off a cliff, guess that's what it takes sometimes.

I think if that happens politics will be even more fucked going forward because what faith will the public have in them? It will erode any faith in many millions people.

It's a true stuck between a rock and a hard place scenario.

StayDead

I would not vote for an article 50, after the 6 months of shit we're going to go through before it even gets brought up even the idiotic leave voters will realise there's nothing to gain from leaving.

People are saying political sucide for going against the referendum, but they forget it's near 50-50 and I know I'd be more likely to support an MP that voted remain.

Then there will be no forgiveness for the Brexiter cunts.

Yup, that's me pretty much closing all ties with anyone who voted leave. I'm not going to ever be able to let this go unless the government pulls through.

The Guardian politics weekly is decent.

Yeah because The Guardian isn't a lefty biased news outlet.

What about the lies that the remain side contributed through "Project Fear"?

Oh yeah, that doesn't count.

Pound dropping like a brick now.

New low at 1.316

Looks like the 2nd referendum dream is dead guys

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/referendum-cabinet-agrees/33044

Good. About time it was put to bed.

Now to deal with the SNP, although this veto that everyone is going on about doesn't exist.

These threads on GAF have been priceless, the 7 emotional stages of denial on show is really incredible to watch.

Do you guys think leave would win another referendum if held tomorrow? Now that they've had a taste of the disastrous consequences?

It's strange predicting how people will vote. I voted remain. A snap second referendum with no knew information held so soon? I'd vote leave. A second referendum right now is pointless, we need to accept the result and move on.

Lego Boss

I'm hoping behind the scenes they all have a plan to back out.

Merkel saying no discussions until we initiate article 50 makes me think she is giving the UK a chance and everything said from now is being staged carefully bit by bit to reverse course completely and hopefully not look like complete idiots but that ship has sailed. I feel there is some wise heads around who know we've fucked up big time and won't let it pass but they are just trying to save some sort of face and communicate how fucked we would be if we left and why it's the best thing to stay.

Yes. I like this a lot. Now just feed me some more pills.

Seriously, this COULD be happening with what Osbo was wriggling about today.

Farage and BLOJO and Gove and IBS on a short leash.

Cameron basically going native on Friday AM.

It COULD happen, bit are our leaders competent enough?

Maybe Merkel and Blair are?

I just don't know anymore.

hohoXD123

I would not vote for an article 50, after the 6 months of shit we're going to go through before it even gets brought up even the idiotic leave voters will realise there's nothing to gain from leaving.

People are saying political sucide for going against the referendum, but they forget it's near 50-50 and I know I'd be more likely to support an MP that voted remain.

It's near 50-50 on a UK-level, not on a constituency-level. Good luck to any MP who votes against the referendum when 70% of their constituents were Leave voters.

Fritz

I'd not vote for an Article 50. If you disagree with me, vote me out, but this wouldn't be on my head.

MPs should act in the best interests of their constituents at all times. Even if that means making unpopular decisions. I value democracy as much as anyone, but on a referendum swung on lies and hate, can you really say that the decision is the right one that reflects the will of the people? How far does the country have to fall before "well, we still have our democracy" isn't a good enough excuse?

I'd compare it to freedom of speech. A fundamental human right, to be sure. But it has its limitations (e.g. incitement of racial hatred). Freedom of speech is a GOOD thing, but can be abused. Same goes with democracy.

Yup, that's me pretty much closing all ties with anyone who voted leave. I'm not going to ever be able to let this go unless the government pulls through.

Agree with all of you.

eEK!

Neo Member
Again, since referenda are not legally binding, the EU taking the result to be official notification according to the UK's constitutional requirements would be akin to your landlord overhearing a conversation with a friend about you wanting to leave your flat and taking it as written confirmation of your notification to vacate.

That could happen though, there's no precedent and vague wording for article 50, so it would be up to a hostile EU court to interpret it.

Of course thats what the "experts" say, so I assume you'll ignore it.

Channel 4 News say Cameron will today rule out a second referendum when he addresses MPs. He's really prepping the biggest pile of shit he can muster, ready to drop it on Boris.

I still don't think it'll be Boris picking up the pile of shit... (game, set, and match Cameron)

It's tricky. If you're the MP of a constituency with a UKIP presence, you're effectively handing over your seat to them in the next general election.

dumbo

It's highly unlikely there would be a second referendum. However, when Cameron quits that isn't his decision to make - and so he has no authority to say that.

Both sides made stupid lies that were dropped instantly and never repeated. Remain made vague claims about WW3 (where most of "project fear" was aimed) and instantly dropped them. Leave made vague claims about the EU essentially being modern Nazis, then instantly dropped the idea.

The key here is that while all the warnings about economic collapse the Remain side made are proving to be true, the Leave campaign's key messages are being proved to be lies. Including their main campaign message that they emblazoned on the side of a bus. I hope you can see what a colossal difference that is.

Yeah because The Guardian isn't a lefty biased news outlet.

Bloody lefties, having opinions.

False equivalency meme must die. Let's compare the tabloids of 20+ years to Remain's campaign, shall we? Let's look at the idiocy underpinning the idea of 'Project Fear', and look at the actual economic predictions et al. Fucking tower of lies built on an entire desert of bile.

Calabi

I dont know if anyone's mentioned but UK is pretty much dead no matter what deal it thinks it can strike.

The Two years after handing in article 50 isnt the deadline to strike a new deal its the deadline to figure out how to separate. It's going to take at least two years to figure out where all the ends are and where and what to cut. What happens to all the people and the business and everything that already exist. We're so connected into Europe it's going to be so difficult figuring all this out no one is going to have any time to figure out a new deal.

But even if they did have time thats not how it works. Europe has stated thats not how it works. You leave then you work out the new deal which will take at least ten years to sort out.

So two years on life support, then everything starts to decay, science, financial district, immigration, exports, they all decline, massive depression, massive loss in gdp and tax receipts. The UK has been the architect of its own demise everyone suffers and the UK becomes insignificant in the rest of the world, well done.

liquidtmd

Banned
Both sides made stupid lies that were dropped instantly and never repeated. Remain made vague claims about WW3 (where most of "project fear" was aimed) and instantly dropped them. Leave made vague claims about the EU essentially being modern Nazis, then instantly dropped the idea.

The key here is that while all the warnings about economic collapse the Remain side made are proving to be true, the Leave campaign's key messages are being proved to be lies. Including their main campaign message that they emblazoned on the side of a bus. I hope you can see what a colossal difference that is.

How this can stand is insane.

*vote leave: LETS GIVE THE NHS £350MILLION A WEEK

*leave wins*

Vote leave campaign - "Yeah fuck that noise"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom