• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron mentioned that a list of brexit options will be put together in time for the leadership race, I do wonder if they will all sound crap (which they of course will, no lies needed) and if this will require another referendum on the subject of which option to pursue, with one of them being remain in the EU. Not explicitly the same referendum.

One can dream! :(

platocplx

except for the regulations you have to adhere to if you want access to the market...

lol yeah. Pretty much there will be nothing changed other than a false sense of pride. They still will have to do the same exact things without any say versus being smart and working within the EU and making changes that way.

There will be no advantages anymore. There will very likely arise disadvantages. If you haven't noticed already, France is already courting for banks to come over to Paris.

https://next.ft.com/content/730bc5f6-2d82-11e6-a18d-a96ab29e3c95

And then there are Frankfurt and Dublin who also want to have their piece of the cake. The EU will ruthlessly (but imho rightfully so) grab what it can get out of this.

Yup other EU countries now will attract these businesses back under their umbrella. circling like sharks now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maybe EEA is us falling on our sword.

Merkel and Hollande do this so eu doesn't go bust. They take a few banks. We can have movement and trade. EU good guys but uk look like chuck McGill?

Mivey

"Do you agree that Article 50 is the only moral way of exiting EU?"

David Cameron: "Article 50 is the only legal way yes"

whu?
They can leave it illegally by breaking into the EU parliament and various bureaus of the commission at night and striking out any mention of the word "UK" in all documents with a black marker.

numble

So what? That's not a counter argument in the slightest.

So sovereignty is law being imposed on you without your input? Don't say that they will just choose to exit the common market for that industry, they are likely to put up with most regulations and stay in the common market for most industries if they are to stick with the common market.

Doesn't matter, the public has said it loud: Get rid of immigrants and stop immigration entirely.

Nothing else matters.
The public has also stated the opposite. And a lot of other opinions. Leave wasn't all about immigration, even if Farage and some of the media would have you thinking that.

An EEA agreement would be great. From a continental perspective I mean.
Brussels will finally be able to shove regulations and decisions down Westminster's throat without them even being able to do anything about it, if they don't want to lose access to the single market. It's brilliant. Yaaaay, free Britain!
Also no more rebate and probably less EU funding, so you might even end up paying more into the EU coffers than before.

theaface

Watching a bit of the parliament coverage.

The country is going to pieces around them and they're all sat there bleeting and rabblerabblerabbling like it's a business-as-usual PMQ circus. I feel sick.

numble

We have to adhere to Japanese standards when we sell to Japan.

So what? That's not a counter argument in the slightest. You do not need to adhere to Japanese standards inside the UK, but you would need to adhere to EEA standards inside of the UK.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Someone should ask about the very real likelihood that the EU will not allow us to negotiate without first triggering Article 50, then what do we do? We're in no place to demand anything.

Then its a dead-lock, because the EU is constitutionally incapable of forcing it to be triggered.

avaya

Some leavers would disagree with me here, but I don't really care. My most important reason for leaving is that the EU loses legal paramountcy over British law.

Hahahahaha. This is the exact scenario where you lose sovereignty. They make the rules by themselves. We become their bitch.

Arksy

So sovereignty is law being imposed on you without your input? Don't say that they will just choose to exit the common market for that industry, they are likely to put up with most regulations and stay in the common market for most industries if they are to stick with the common market.

But now...we get a choice! Norway and Switzerland have refused to accept a large number of directives and policies over the years.

Maledict

Maybe EEA is us falling on our sword.

Merkel and Hollande do this so eu doesn't go bust. They take a few banks. We can have movement and trade. EU good guys but uk look like chuck McGill?

EEA is a dreadful option that doesn't achieve anything Leave wanted but fucks over Remain and the entire country. Right now it feels like the plan is to let the economy get worse, waste time plotting options, then outline that we only have two choices - stay in fully or EEA. That then goes to a vote, and article 50 is never triggered.

That would be my plan right now if I were in his shoes. It keeps us from going and it satisfies Europe's need to show that leaving is completely suicidal and should never be contemplated.

Everyone wins in the long run, although obviously the UK gets fucked in the short term.

(Oh, and EEA would be more than a few job losses. Not only do we lose the EU institutions based here, but the city will absolutely shift to Franfirt and Paris. We're talking a lot of jobs and a huge part of the tax base for the country. )

PJV3

Hahahahaha. This is the exact scenario where you lose sovereignty. They make the rules by themselves. We become their bitch.

You're not going to get anywhere, the country is getting fucked over by this nonsense.

Thank fuck we don't have founding fathers.

chadskin

Some leavers would disagree with me here, but I don't really care. My most important reason for leaving is that the EU loses legal paramountcy over British law.

British law-hahaha.

As an EEA member, we do not participate in decision-making in Brussels, but we loyally abide by Brussels’ decisions. We have incorporated approximately three-quarters of all EU legislative acts into Norwegian legislation – and counting.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-reality-uk-voters-seduced-by-norwegian-model

Then its a dead-lock, because the EU is constitutionally incapable of forcing it to be triggered.

Not to keep beating a dead horse but that really isn't a winning strategy since your financial sector, and eventually entire economy, will be imploding while this standoff goes down.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That would be my plan right now if I were in his shoes. It keeps us from going and it satisfies Europe's need to show that leaving is completely suicidal and should never be contemplated.

That's a comforting thought isn't it. If you're not "in the club" you're screwed. And people wonder where Euro-skepticism comes from LOL.

BahamutPT

My most important reason for leaving is that the EU loses legal paramountcy over British law.

EU law primacy only applies to cases where both laws are conflicting, but I understand your argument.
However, with the EEA, the UK will still have to follow EU laws/regulations related to taxation, environment, social issues...

iNvid02

sounding like the referendum was on consideration of leaving, and now they're going to attempt to hammer out the details and present it to the public again

wtf is going on

Hardly, the UK gets to make trade deals on its own now.

And all it had to do was upend all existing deals, made from a position of greater strength.

Excuse me if I don't get out the champagne. 'We can trade with the rest of the world!!!!!' Like we already do, except on renegotiated terms that, probably, could well be worse than exisiting ones?

Terrific. Fanfuckingtastic.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Fair enough, I work with some people from NI who seem to think it's a nonstarter. I guess we'll see either way, I can't blame you for wanting to leave.

On the contrary, I love the UK and consider myself a British citizen, but outside the EU and EU funding, Northern Ireland is nothing but an annoying blip to Westminster, who takes more money than they give back. Moreso than anywhere else in the UK, Northern Ireland will receive significantly less funding, and be thrown into a lot of in-fighting, as both sides of the unification argument ramp up. The Good Friday Agreement of the country is based in EU legislature, so that will now have to be rewritten as well.

It's atrocious that our leaders seem to be Turkeys voting for Christmas, in this regard, and are probably dreaming of soaking up some of Scotland's funding by sucking up to Parliament whilst Scotland attempts to veto. It's not the will of the country's people, and it throws my vote of a united Ireland completely into uncertainty, despite wanting to be in the UK.

Chinner

Banned
The public has also stated the opposite. And a lot of other opinions. Leave wasn't all about immigration, even if Farage and some of the media would have you thinking that.
It is the main argument of the Leave campaign. it's not to hard to see that immigration is a huge social taboo, and I expect Leave voters to react negatively whereby the new deal offers uncontrolled immigration.

PJV3

No, no it wouldn't.

We lose all power we currently have in the EU and get nothing in return.

It's literally a worse version of what we have now in every single way.

No, in 2038 we can have an almost similar trade deal with China. But it will have a union flag on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom