• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

"The first part of that is that everybody has got to accept the result of the referendum, whether they like it or not," he adds"

No, he can fuck right off. I'm never accepting the result of this referendum and neither should anyone else.

The Remain backers should protest, we shouldn't sit back and let our country destroy itself.

So update me on what parliament are saying. I'm guessing a whole lot of fluff, and saying 'we're definitely leaving' without anything concrete on what that means and what the plan/roadmap is.

Cameron is pushing as hard as he can for EEA without saying it outright.

Which is understandable and probably the best possible outcome, but so hilariously sad and misguided at the same time. The UK left the EU to get their "independence" back, and in the best case scenario they'll get legislation and taxation without representation.

MLH

Someone should ask about the very real likelihood that the EU will not allow us to negotiate without first triggering Article 50, then what do we do? We're in no place to demand anything.

Can't wait to see the EU response to the government delaying Article 50.

The markets are a much bigger problem that the EU at this point. You could see the sell off as the news conference went on. A couple of more performances like that and all confidence in British banks will be lost. They'll probably need another bailout.

That last question on freedom of movement was on point.

And Cameron's response nicely slapped around Boris...

Does the deal currently being negotiated between Canada and the EU also include freedom of movement then? Because I thought that is what Boris is currently proposing.

Arials

13466459_10154252953473665_4442672495440501030_n.jpg

Cameron's personal stance is "acknowledge outcome, ignore planning, defer to successor"

Which is understandable and probably the best possible outcome, but so hilariously sad and misguided at the same time. The UK left the EU to get their "independence" back, and in the best case scenario they'll get legislation and taxation without representation.

If it happens, I wonder how many people will suddenly become experts on the EU parliament.

GamingKaiju

Watching live now and I'm flabbergasted that this is uk democracy in action. You could tell who voted leave by saying the parliament has to up hold the vote :( 49% didn't ask for this.

I'm so sorry EuroGAF we played ourselves and wrecked our Country.

Par Score

Imagine for a second that we were actually going to leave the EU, or that Article 50 was ever going to be triggered. Gove and Johnson would be front and centre in the HoC right now grinning ear to ear.

But they're not. They have bottled it, they know it's completely infeasible, and they're running scared.

Calabi

I bet the papers will still report and spin it as a win.

PJV3

The anti EU nuts are our version of the gun nuts in the states, and we let them fuck the country over virtually nothing.

Steel

Banned
Some leavers would disagree with me here, but I don't really care. My most important reason for the leaving is that the EU loses legal paramountcy over British law.

You actually have less control in EEA because you have no say in the EU.

Would the UK be allowed to negotiate its own trade deals in this scenario? That's about the only positive I can see coming out of the scenario.

Is Switzerland EEA?

Tyaren

What are the advantages from being based in London?

There will be no advantages anymore. There will very likely arise disadvantages. If you haven't noticed already, France is already courting for banks to come over to Paris.

https://next.ft.com/content/730bc5f6-2d82-11e6-a18d-a96ab29e3c95

And then there are Frankfurt and Dublin who also want to have their piece of the cake. The EU will ruthlessly (but imho rightfully so) grab what it can get out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom